Back To The 70's

Ahhh, thank you for refreshing my memory. Queue and Stargazer. You know what they used to say about the 60's and 70's....."If you remember it, you weren't there!" :lol:

I've had a few embarassing pratfalls at the Queue before. Not the kind of moments I wish to remember. :blush:

...must've been those brownies. :lol:

Yeah man! Blame it on the brownies.

One of my bragging rights then was not paying those cover charges in Discos.

folks, for the last couple of hours, i have been looking at a few pages on this thread just to see what 70's topics have been brought up in the past. i must say that it felt like a journey "back home" most of the time. i wish i had stumbled upon it earlier talaga. based on the few pages i've read (ang dami na kasi, eh), some of you have incredible memories of how things used to be. i often found myself wishing i could have butted-in to share my own recollections of our times as i was having my own moments of nostalgia while reading your posts. whether it was about movies, tv, places, pakas, social norms, music, pop-culture, basketball, etc., i can also say.....i also loved the 70's. when i first came in here to mtc, i wondered if the 36+ group had more people under 40, but with some posts i've read, it got me thinking..."some of these guys have got to be somewhere close to their mid-40's". then, i find out that a few eb's have already been held attended by most of the regular posters. man, i've been late, haven't i? the point i wanted to make here was that those few pages i've seen so far made me feel better about being in here. what's the difference with that 36+ thread anyway? parang pareho lang kasi, or something i don't know. i hope this thread hasn't peaked yet. with so many lurkers out there who spent some of the best years of their lives in the 70's, sana a few more would come out and take a wholesome break from the raging hormones that dominate the atmosphere in here (not that ours have stopped raging, hehe). oops, mahaba na pala 'to. i made my point na nga kanina pa...daldal! :P

The difference here is we're limited to the happenings of the 70s. We were very young and restless then.

Isn't it nice and wonderful to be young again?

Answer: G-String? :P

I'm thinking more of 'la typan.

Haven't posted for a while...Mandrake was talking about the "green leafy substance"...just a few weeks ago, I visited a high school classmate in Makati for legal consultations. After our meeting, we decided to have a drink. Imagine my surprise when he offered me some "kilay"...you guys remember Mogs? Hah, haven't popped one of those for decades. Well, to end the story, I took two and we had a great time reminiscing about the 70s, like all of you folks are doing here. Hey Storm, kumusta na? we must have an EB soon.

Buttfloss?

Hehehe :evil: . Actually, uso noon yung walang panty tapos naging tanga (pronounced like mangga). I remember I danced with some girls before who didn't want to be lifted because they're not wearing panties.

Haven't posted for a while...Mandrake was talking about the "green leafy substance"...just a few weeks ago, I visited a high school classmate in Makati for legal consultations. After our meeting, we decided to have a drink. Imagine my surprise when he offered me some "kilay"...you guys remember Mogs? Hah, haven't popped one of those for decades. Well, to end the story, I took two and we had a great time reminiscing about the 70s, like all of you folks are doing here. Hey Storm, kumusta na? we must have an EB soon.

When I had my first show, the theme party opening was Back to the 70s and somebody brought brownies. Just imagine --- non-stop cab sauv and brownies. Ang saya-saya nila lahat.

Yo all based here in Manila:

Sige EB tayo. PM me your contact numbers .

pare ang tagal mong nawala!

now here is one original 70's guy!

hope you're doing well, pare!

Do I hear EB? :rolleyes:

Imagine my surprise when he offered me some "kilay"...you guys remember Mogs?

I took two and we had a great time reminiscing about the 70s

'70's vets already knew the word "smileys" long before emoticons came along. B)

"The next morning" (or whatever time you woke up) felt good with coffee. Well.....even without. :P

is it during the late 70's na nauso ang arcade video games?

atari

space invader

pacman

galaxian

Yeah, I remember seeing my first arcade video games sa Cubao in the mid-1970s. If I remember right, that arcade was housed in the same building as Rustan's and medyo malapit sa COD Department Store.

Cubao provided a lot of options for family entertainment during those days with the movie theaters, Ali Mall, PBA games at the Araneta Coliseum, and Fiesta Carnival . I give credit to the Araneta Family for doing a fine job reviving the area. For a while, in the late 80s to early 90s, the area was in danger of falling into neglect but it's a very good thing that the Aranetas were able to turn it around. :cool:

Yeah, I remember seeing my first arcade video games sa Cubao in the mid-1970s. If I remember right, that arcade was housed in the same building as Rustan's and medyo malapit sa COD Department Store.

Cubao provided a lot of options for family entertainment during those days with the movie theaters, Ali Mall, PBA games at the Araneta Coliseum, and Fiesta Carnival . I give credit to the Araneta Family for doing a fine job reviving the area. For a while, in the late 80s to early 90s, the area was in danger of falling into neglect but it's a very good thing that the Aranetas were able to turn it around. :cool:

Your right, pards. Lots of good memories in Araneta Cubao in the 70s. For a long time, we managed 2 stalls at the Farmers Market so I was quite a "gala" in the area until the mid-80s. I also recall watching the premier night showing of ENTER THE DRAGON at Quezon Theatre. Pag labas namin ng sinehan ng barkada ko, karatista na kami...hehehe. :P :mtc:

Sa kin naman, memorable ang Ali Mall when we used to cut classes in HS, that's where we go...dami rin namin nakikilala chicks from other schools mga nagka cutting classes din. Hahaha! :D

madalas akong pumupunta dati sa virramall in greenhills to play video games, what we did then was we drilled a small hole sa one peso coin sa may gilid then we tied a thread into it, what we did is ihuhulog namin ang coin na may sinulid sa coin slot and we kinda jerk it. each jerk = 1 credit :cool: . nagtataka yung bantay nun kung bakit ang dami naming credits kaagad :evil: hehehehe. pero one time sumabit yung coin at naputol yung thread, ayun nabuking kami :boo:

madalas akong pumupunta dati sa virramall in greenhills to play video games, what we did then was we drilled a small hole sa one peso coin sa may gilid then we tied a thread into it, what we did is ihuhulog namin ang coin na may sinulid sa coin slot and we kinda jerk it. each jerk = 1 credit :cool: . nagtataka yung bantay nun kung bakit ang dami naming credits kaagad :evil: hehehehe. pero one time sumabit yung coin at naputol yung thread, ayun nabuking kami :boo:

My most memorable dining experience ----- first time I ate in SHAKEY's - 1975. Up till that time, the only PIZZA i knew was Italian Village and D'Marks. My favorite was Around the World pizza of D'Mark's - anchovy overload! Saraaaaaaaaaapppp.

Could that have been the first Shakey's in Makati Ave.? It was always busy when it newly-opened, partly because it was the first major pizza resto in Makati since the Gazebo at The Plaza and Leila's (beside Rizal Theater) before that. What I remember naman about Italian Village: the large window where you see the kitchen, the "other room" by the parking lot, their canadian bacon pizza, free breadsticks, and that "accordionist". D'Marks...buti nalang it's still around. I also dug Birdhouse Pizza (just by I.S.) with the tiny bell to call someone for a take-out order.

Sa kin naman, memorable ang Ali Mall when we used to cut classes in HS, that's where we go...dami rin namin nakikilala chicks from other schools mga nagka cutting classes din. Hahaha! :D

Ah yes.... meeting chicks at Ali Mall. I remember those days, Pareng Magaling. :D

Sa mga barkada ko sa high school, it was considered a "rite of passage" to go to Ali Mall, makipag-kilala sa chicks from high schools in the area (notably girls from St. Paul and Maryknoll were priority targets), and hopefully e magkaroon ng follow-up dates, etc. :evil: Na-suspend pa kami ng barkada ko one time dahil out of 42 students in our section, 14 of us cut classes one day to go to Ali Mall. To this day, we're proud of that record. Haha

As far as Ali Mall is concerned, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, pero I think it holds the distinction of being the first mall in the country to have a multi-level parking garage housed within the same structure. I can't recall any mall who had that feature prior to Ali Mall. Anyway again, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Edited by willow_boy
Could that have been the first Shakey's in Makati Ave.? It was always busy when it newly-opened, partly because it was the first major pizza resto in Makati since the Gazebo at The Plaza and Leila's (beside Rizal Theater) before that.

Had this unforgetable experience one night in '74 with 3 of my classmates in Shakey's Makati when the branch manager together with a gentleman in short barong sporting a crew cut asked us very discreetly and politely though to change our table because some VIPs want to use ours. Since one of my classmates then was the son of the former vice-mayor of Makati, he introduced himself and demanded who the VIPs were. The gentleman in barong shook his hand with my classmate, smiled apologetically and quitely whispered "anak po ni Presidente at mga kaibigan nya, sir." Ah, lipat na kami ng table.

Stayed and enjoyed ourselves for a couple of hours more before we asked for our bill. Sagot ng waitress--"Bayad na po, ni Sir Bongbong." :cool:

Sa mga barkada ko sa high school, it was considered a "rite of passage" to go to Ali Mall, makipag-kilala sa chicks from high schools in the area (notably girls from St. Paul and Maryknoll were priority targets), and hopefully e magkaroon ng follow-up dates, etc. :evil:

Man! Don't even get me started on SPCQC and Maryknoll. Pero in the QC area, marami pang ibang schools noon that also have pretty HS girls, not to mention cute uniforms. Hehehe. Stella Maris, St. Mary's, etc.

In the Manila area, there's (natural!) SPCM, St. Scho, Holy, etc. Pero yan naman, mas madalas Harrison Plaza or Quad tumatambay. I never met anyone from Assumption in HS. College na ko when I first met anyone from that school and I was already working when I first dated one. Layo kasi sa area of operation ko eh. Hahaha! :P

As far as Ali Mall is concerned, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, pero I think it holds the distinction of being the first mall in the country to have a multi-level parking garage housed within the same structure. I can't recall any mall who had that feature prior to Ali Mall. Anyway again, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yes, I think Ali Mall was the first mall in the metro. Followed by Broadway Centrum (popular for its theatre with lover's seats as we used to call them before) and then by Harisson Plaza. I could be wrong, of course, pero that's what I can remember. But of course Quad has always been there...but it doesn't count as a mall does it? And Greenhills?

What is the proper definition of a mall anyway? Geez! Pati tuloy ako nako-confuse na! Hehehe :blush:

The thread is alive again!

Just a while ago we were congratulating Storm for reaching 100 pages...looks like it's on it's way to another hundred!

Hey augustmoon, centennial na pala ng peyups in 2008....no doubt it's an event not to be missed!

Speaking of 70s hot girls, for me there were only 2 of them - Crispy Santamaria and Alicia Cuenca. I had the good fortune to meet the latter, though it was just a casual introduction.

I checked my iPod earlier today and I'd say about 70% of it's contents are 70s music.

The thread is alive again!

Just a while ago we were congratulating Storm for reaching 100 pages...looks like it's on it's way to another hundred!

Hey augustmoon, centennial na pala ng peyups in 2008....no doubt it's an event not to be missed!

Speaking of 70s hot girls, for me there were only 2 of them - Crispy Santamaria and Alicia Cuenca. I had the good fortune to meet the latter, though it was just a casual introduction.

I checked my iPod earlier today and I'd say about 70% of it's contents are 70s music.

pareng sliderule, it is you who is alive again :P

Kala ko na-time warp ka pabalik sa 70's eh....yes the thread is on its way to 200 and pareng storm will be giving a blow-out (now that's a 70's term, if I'm not mistaken) once it does :rolleyes: