Back To The 70's

I once had the privilege to sit in a large table at a dinner function and Dolphy was there. Needless to say he was the main focus of attention and what struck me was that he doesn't behave like the cultural icon that he is. In fact, he was very down to earth and was just like one of the guys.

Happy holidays all.

Let's have a Dolphy holiday!

Well Rudolph the red nose raindeer. :D

Dumugo ang tenga namin sa Christmas Carols -- from the oldies like Bing Crosby's to the newer one's like Vanessa Wiliams' and Celine Dion's.

Memorable was Michael Jackson's Give Love on Christmas Day (egoy pa siya noon), Karen Carpenter's I'll be Home for Christmas (creepy) and Ray Conniff's 12 Days of Christmas.

Happy Holidays to all :hypocritesmiley:

I once had the privilege to sit in a large table at a dinner function and Dolphy was there. Needless to say he was the main focus of attention and what struck me was that he doesn't behave like the cultural icon that he is. In fact, he was very down to earth and was just like one of the guys.

Many years ago, there used to be a Kimpura restaurant in Cubao, on the second floor of the building across New Frontier Cinema. One Sunday, the family had lunch there. Guess who was there as well. Dolphy, with his children. My grandfather was a well-known politician, so that may be partly why Dolphy smiled at us as he and his children were leaving the restaurant. But you're right. He came across really as one of the guys. Contrast that to Noli de Castro, whom we saw at Saisaki a couple of years back. My grandfather had already retired by then, but Noli could have gone over to the table to greet him, or perhaps just waved. Noli was a senator by then. My grandfather had, at one time, served as Senate President. It was a simple courtesy that "Kabayan" could have given. But I guess, unlike Dolphy, he was just so full of himself.

I know eveyone has heard it (and are probably sick of hearing it too), but Pidol's reply to the calls for him to run as a politician has got to be the most profoundly wise words I've ever heard: 'madali tumakbo, papano kung manalo?"

Speaking of Cubao, I haven't been there in like 20 years. Aside from the coliseum, is there any other structure that's still standing? Ali Mall and Farmer's I know. New Frontier? Nation Cinema? Ali Mall? Fiesta Carnival?

Speaking of Cubao, I haven't been there in like 20 years. Aside from the coliseum, is there any other structure that's still standing? Ali Mall and Farmer's I know. New Frontier? Nation Cinema? Ali Mall? Fiesta Carnival?

New Frontier is closed. What was once Nation Cinema and Queens is now a man-made lake. The old Rustan's Superstore has become a tianggehan. COD is gone as well. Ali Mall is still there, still OK. Farmer's is thriving, primarily because of the MRT station (and availaible ladies perhaps?) which draws a lot of customer traffic. The old Fiesta Carnival is now Shopwise. The new Fiesta Carnival is now an open-air carnival across SM Cubao. Sampaguita Theater is now a hotel. The two Quezon theaters have been converted into gathering places for religious groups.

The biggest change is Gateway. It's like being in Makati. And because of the LRT Purple Line, it draws the upscale market.

There are also many establishments which you used to see only in Makati and Ortigas, which you can now find in Cubao.

As for the non-Araneta side of Cubao, that's a different story. For instance, there's a great "school" there called Harvard, I "enrolled" there some years ago, but I've been on leave of absence for quite some time now. Outside of the Araneta area, there are a lot of hotels. Cubao has become something like a blend of heaven and hell. It just depends on what your idea of heaven is...or hell.

Napatugtug nyo na ba yung Ray Coniff Christmas music nyo?  So very 70s!!

Warmest holiday greetings to all!  :santa:

Super negative memories of Ray Coniff in general for me.

On Saturday mornings when I was a kid, my ate would play that on full blast to wake me up so I can go and do my weekend chores... It made me dislike Ray Coniff's music a whole lot then...

:D

That was not in the 70s admittedly, but my sisters and bros were 70s kids so I find that a lot of the posts here spark memories here and there. ;)

I know eveyone has heard it (and are probably sick of hearing it too), but Pidol's reply to the calls for him to run as a politician has got to be the most profoundly wise words I've ever heard: 'madali tumakbo, papano kung manalo?"

Batang Cubao din ako. Lagi kong dinadaanan on my way to school pag sumasakay

sa jeep. Best memories are the Orange Julius stand sa Rustan's which I would frequent

for their ham sandwiches. Steamed, no less.

Madalas na daw ang holduppan dyan. Had a colleague who was built like an ox,

didn't look loaded at all pero di pa rin pinatawad. Tinabihan daw ng tatlo,

sabay tutok ng icepick sa gilid. Luckily i was never held up nung madalas ako dyan.

Now i just go here to buy seafood at farmer's. A bit pricey but the sight of

heaping banyeras of prawns always makes me forget my budget.

Well you guys should check out the New Farmers' Market..... they have a "Dampa-style" section now.... where you can buy fresh seafoods and then have them cooked according to your preference.... :thumbsupsmiley:

Oh BTW jt2003.... I'm sure you'll find it funny that I was almost picked-up by a student when I was waiting near one of the staircases in the New Farmers' Plaza for Leslie Garcia to text me her location as we were meeting up to have dinner.... :lol:

Speaking of holduppan in Cubao, there used to be a notorious place for such incidents. That was Quezon arcade, particularly the dim passageway leading from Aurora Boulevard to the Araneta Center. Every time I went through there, I walked as swifty as I could. I've never been held up in Cubao (knock on wood). When I was still very young, however, I was propositioned by gays several times. "Are you game?"

I also remember how, during the days of PX goods, you could buy them from obscure stalls at the basement of Farmer's Market (now Plaza). These products weren't usually available in supermarkets. Products such as Hershey's, Pringles, Fanta Orange. If you folks remember, imported food and drink products were not common during the 70s. A lot of people went to Angeles or Olongapo just to get them. But they were available at the basement of Farmer's, if you just looked around enough.

Speaking of holduppan in Cubao, there used to be a notorious place for such incidents.  That was Quezon arcade, particularly the dim passageway leading from Aurora Boulevard to the Araneta Center.  Every time I went through there, I walked as swifty as I could.  I've never been held up in Cubao (knock on wood).  When I was still very young, however, I was propositioned by gays several times. "Are you game?"

I also remember how, during the days of PX goods, you could buy them from obscure stalls at the basement of Farmer's Market (now Plaza).  These products weren't usually available in supermarkets.  Products such as Hershey's, Pringles, Fanta Orange.  If you folks remember, imported food and drink products were not common during the 70s.  A lot of people went to Angeles or Olongapo just to get them.  But they were available at the basement of Farmer's, if you just looked around enough.

Oo nga, tatabihan ka sa sinehan, tapos tutulungan ka daw sa tuition.

Kalbong mataba na may clutchbag. Marami sa Ali Mall, pati sa mga game room.

Incidentally. my claim to fame sa Space Invaders : napaikot ko yung score

sa 1040, so since there were 5 digits, parang 101040 yung score ko nun.

I even remember the pattern for getting 300pts sa flying saucer, 22 times ka

mag-fire, tapos 14 na ng 14.

Clutchbag? Dioskopo. Remember how those things were so popular during the 70s? It seemed as if everyone had them. Pagandahan pa nga ng clutchbag. Pai-ibang style pa ng pagdala. When my father heard that boys were using clutchbags, he was incredulous. "That will be the day," he said. Eventually, siya rin nag-clutchbag.

These days, clutchbags are often associated with guns. Pag may makita kang lalakeng may clutchbag, malamang baril ang laman noon. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a clutchbag in ages.

Clutchbag?  Dioskopo.  Remember how those things were so popular during the 70s?  It seemed as if everyone had them.  Pagandahan pa nga ng clutchbag.  Pai-ibang style pa ng pagdala.  When my father heard that boys were using clutchbags, he was incredulous.  "That will be the day," he said.  Eventually, siya rin nag-clutchbag.

These days, clutchbags are often associated with guns.  Pag may makita kang lalakeng may clutchbag, malamang baril ang laman noon.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen a clutchbag in ages.

Hehe. Pag luma na natutuklap yung fake leather exposing some suede-like material underneath. Forerunner of the beltbag.

Goons nowadays don't bother hiding their guns. Suksok lang sa baywang sakay takip ng loose na polo.

Clutchbag?  Dioskopo.  Remember how those things were so popular during the 70s?  It seemed as if everyone had them.  Pagandahan pa nga ng clutchbag.  Pai-ibang style pa ng pagdala.  When my father heard that boys were using clutchbags, he was incredulous.  "That will be the day," he said.  Eventually, siya rin nag-clutchbag.

These days, clutchbags are often associated with guns.  Pag may makita kang lalakeng may clutchbag, malamang baril ang laman noon.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen a clutchbag in ages.

A bit of more recent trivia for you... Men have taken to using purses now.. similar to the clutchbag of the 70s. Theyre called men-purses, ranging in size from the usual clutch bag size to the messenger bag size :P

A bit of more recent trivia for you... Men have taken to using purses now.. similar to the clutchbag of the 70s. Theyre called men-purses, ranging in size from the usual clutch bag size to the messenger bag size :P

Men-purses? Really? I'm just so out of it. But on the average, men (at least those my age) move around as lightly as possible. When pareng flyingdutchman mentioned clutchbags, I tried to remember exactly what were those things I put in my clutchbag. My hankie went into my right front pocket. My coins and low-denomination bills went into my left front pocket. My wallet went into my right hindpocket. My cigarettes were either in my socks (to hide them from school authorities or my parents) or in my front shirt pocket. Emergency money went into that secret pocket in my jeans. My left hindpocket was usually empty. So what in the world did I put inside my clutchbag?

Incidentally. my claim to fame sa Space Invaders : napaikot ko yung score

sa 1040, so since there were 5 digits, parang 101040 yung score ko nun.

I even remember the pattern for getting 300pts sa flying saucer, 22 times ka

mag-fire, tapos 14 na ng 14.

Space Invaders! It had such a ubiquitous sound....PSSHEEW! My favorite past time, 1 peso a game. A close second was Pac Man but I could never get past 5-6 rounds. Also got addicted to Dpnkey Kong. Compare with today's game that cost 20 bucks a pop. Aybody remember Night Rider? Going way, way back in the past...pinball games in Cubao wpuld cost 25 centavos a game.

Space Invaders! It had such a ubiquitous sound....PSSHEEW! My favorite past time, 1 peso a game. A close second was Pac Man but I could never get past 5-6 rounds. Also got addicted to Dpnkey Kong. Compare with today's game that cost 20 bucks a pop. Aybody remember Night Rider? Going way, way back in the past...pinball games in Cubao wpuld cost 25 centavos a game.

Yes, I remember Night Rider! I used to get hypnotized by those green fence posts. That was one of my favorites, along with Cross Fire!

Bad trip na bad trip ako nung pinatanggal ni Makoy yung mga game room.

I remember one time seeing a crowd milling around a galaxians game in greenhills,

yun pala it was Dang Cecilio playing tapos she was unaware that her top button was

unbuttoned so nasisilipan siya.

Nung nasa UP Elem ako i wandered sa may School of Economics (layo)

tapos saw her for the first time.

Ganda talaga! Tapos beauty and brains pa, kasi if i remember right she started sa Eng'g kaya

lang she had to shift to Econ. She was the perfect girl for me back then.

Men-purses?  Really?  I'm just so out of it.  But on the average, men (at least those my age) move around as lightly as possible.  When pareng flyingdutchman mentioned clutchbags, I tried to remember exactly what were those things I put in my clutchbag.  My hankie went into my right front pocket.  My coins and low-denomination bills went into my left front pocket.  My wallet went into my right hindpocket.  My cigarettes were either in my socks (to hide them from school authorities or my parents) or in my front shirt pocket.  Emergency money went into that secret pocket in my jeans.  My left hindpocket was usually empty.  So what in the world did I put inside my clutchbag?

Ummmm ... your gun? :D

Kiddin.

Bad trip na bad trip ako nung pinatanggal ni Makoy yung mga game room.

I remember one time seeing a crowd milling around a galaxians game in greenhills,

yun pala it was Dang Cecilio playing tapos she was unaware that her top button was

unbuttoned so nasisilipan siya.

Nung nasa UP Elem ako i wandered sa may School of Economics (layo)

tapos saw her for the first time.

Ganda talaga! Tapos beauty and brains pa, kasi if i remember right she started sa Eng'g kaya

lang she had to shift to Econ. She was the perfect girl for me back then.

Dang Cecilio came from STC Manila batch 78. In 1978, I was supposed to date her sa isang ball pero hindi natuloy. I never thought that she was so pretty because her name then was Endang Cecilio and it was a girl (who eventually became my girlfriend for a month) who was setting up the "blind date" (well kapag girl kasi ang nagbigay ng date, hindi ako umaasang maganda). When I met Endang in UP, gf ko naman noon yung classmate niya. Then, nanalo pa siyang Bb. Pilipinas.

Noong 70s, I dated once sa MassComm Ball si Loren Legarda. Walang nangyari :P

Dang Cecilio came from STC Manila batch 78. In 1978, I was supposed to date her sa isang ball pero hindi natuloy. I never thought that she was so pretty because her name then was Endang Cecilio and it was a girl (who eventually became my girlfriend for a month) who was setting up the "blind date" (well kapag girl kasi ang nagbigay ng date, hindi ako umaasang maganda). When I met Endang in UP, gf ko naman noon yung classmate niya. Then, nanalo pa siyang Bb. Pilipinas.

Si STORM - eligible bachelor, most sought after dance/swing partner ng mga UP coeds noon (at di lang basta coed). Nasa top of mind recall siya at collective consciousness ng mga girlies at that time na iilan lang na lalaki ang marunong sumayaw (bakit nga ba in the late 70's/80's?? :( ).

Sa susunod na election, for sure hahanapin ka ni Loren (for your choreo-d swing number). :D

Si STORM  - eligible bachelor, most sought after dance/swing partner ng mga UP coeds noon (at di lang basta coed).  Nasa top of mind recall siya at  collective consciousness ng mga girlies at that time na iilan lang na lalaki ang marunong sumayaw (bakit nga ba in the late 70's/80's??  :( ). 

Sa susunod na election, for sure hahanapin ka ni Loren (for your choreo-d swing number). :D

Actually mas yung mga hindi taga UP kasi hindi ako nagkakalat sa sarili kong bakuran. :P

Isa pa pala sa madalas kong ka-swing noon sa Wherelse ay si Pinky Amador. Hindi pa siya artista noon.

Hindi siguro ako hahanapin ni Loren kasi wala ngang nangyari sa date eh! :lol:

Another showbiz personality na nag-UP: Dina Bonnevie.

When I joined NCOTC ( yup, nag NCO ako, sabi kasi sa akin that was

one way to evade those stupid parades ), one of my 'missions' was

to get her autograph.

I remember her asking me if I was a neophyte, then signing : Dina Bonnevie-Sotto.

The student number was 77 or 78-something, if i remember right.

Sa Psych 101 class ko classmate namin si Irene Marcos. Wala rin nangyari (hehehe siempre naman no...!) We had a very memorable class get together sa Malacanang Palace. She showed us the music room with all sorts of instruments, may synthesizer pa. Out in the field, whatever we wanted to do - presto - the PSG would magically produce. We toured the palace and we were so awestruck at how grand it was.

I had the good fortune of having Anton Juan as our Speech prof. Interesting class! Si Prof Waite anong class nga ba sya?

Sa Psych 101 class ko classmate namin si Irene Marcos. Wala rin nangyari (hehehe siempre naman no...!) We had a very memorable class get together sa Malacanang Palace. She showed us the music room with all sorts of instruments, may synthesizer pa. Out in the field, whatever we wanted to do - presto - the PSG would magically produce. We toured the palace and we were so awestruck at how grand it was.

I had the good fortune of having Anton Juan as our Speech prof. Interesting class! Si Prof Waite anong class nga ba sya?

Hey D, come to think of it, BAKA naging classmate kita kay Anton Juan. Had him for speech too. I can't forget the topic for my extempo (this was when you had to randomly pick from a fishbowl) - What the OBLATION meant to me ???!!! Ngek! How I managed, I do not know. Basta a got a 1.5 for that subject. Miracle.

Si Irene Marcos was my classmate sa Humanities naman under THE Prof. Alice Guillermo. She brought to class one of the 1500's Spanish Era STAMPITAS (the real thing); and a small genuine 300 year old AETA carved vase, (actually am URN.). Beautiful

She attended our study group (in our classmates house in Philam) for our project bringing with her a basketful of GREG's HAMBURGER (bitbit ng PSG). She was so down to earth you forget that she is a Marcos. She actually did her part of typing and pasting our cut-outs. Yung 3rd Back-up vehicle niya, ginawa naming schoolbus (she insisted that we be brought home) imagine, taking 6 people to their homes with wang-wangs a-blazing!!!

Si Prof Waite, if I remember taught a course in History ba? or Filipino ? I did not have him as a teacher.

Welcome back nga pala. Chilly diba??