Back To The 70's

Nakupu, noong 1970s hindi pumupunta ang kelots sa parlor.

Pare, pumupunta na noon. Kaming mga Notre boys ay favorite yung kay Nick Hairmaster sa Caloocan City. Nakapagpagupit na rin ako noon kay Tony Galvez at Budjiwara. :cool: Hindi ko type ang gupit barbero. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Pero nung nauso ang Barber's cut noong 80s ay sa Quezon City Sports ako nagpapagupit kay Domeng. Now, I go to Crispin Britanico. :thumbsupsmiley:

Hi everyone. Bods, pare, txt me me if there's an upcoming eb. Been very busy. Hope to see you folks soon.

Pare, para sa iyo EB tayo kahit sa bahay namin ulit.

Good Morning to all!

Sir gungeek, rare collections na yan!

I once had a 1 peso coin minted nung 1900. yun outline nung guy trying to move a big gear. Sayang, couldn't find it na.

Pero to think of it. if these coins were to be used at the present devalued rate, babagsak na mga pantalon natin sa bigat at dami ng dala sa bulsa... hahahaha!

Good Morning to all!

I once had a 1 peso coin minted nung 1900. yun outline nung guy trying to move a big gear. Sayang, couldn't find it na.

Pero to think of it. if these coins were to be used at the present devalued rate, babagsak na mga pantalon natin sa bigat at dami ng dala sa bulsa... hahahaha!

Good Morning to all!

My dad designed the 1c, 25c and 50c coins as well as the 20 and 100 peso bills that are still in circulation. Incidentally, I took the photos of the Malacañang Palace and the Central Bank building used on the other side.

My dad designed the 1c, 25c and 50c coins as well as the 20 and 100 peso bills that are still in circulation. Incidentally, I took the photos of the Malacañang Palace and the Central Bank building used on the other side.

Hi Pareng Storm!!

Yes, I read about your father being commissioned by the Central Bank in 1979 to design those particular notes and coins in the "Twentieth Century Filipino Artists" Volume I book.

Such a great honor for him and for his family as well!!

Hi Pareng Storm!!

Yes, I read about your father being commissioned by the Central Bank in 1979 to design those particular notes and coins in the "Twentieth Century Filipino Artists" Volume I book.

Such a great honor for him and for his family as well!!

Wow, that's quite a distinction....you really are an artist.

I agree with you! It's such a great honor. Thanks.

Well, medyo OT kasi 60s pa ito pero he also won in the coin design contest for the 1c and 50c in 1966. He also won in 1964 for the Mabini Centennial Art Competition.

Wow, then he's responsible for the words 'Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas' discreetly

written on the first row of the building on the 100 peso bill? Pure genius.

I've been looking at told pictures (but good clear ones ) of the 70's Makati Commercial Center over at Skyscaper forums.

Try it out:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay...?s=&forumid=295

Really a trip back to old times to see those sights ( not to mention pics of Manila in pre-war days, as well)

Regards!

Nice thread!

Thanks Pareng 16track.

Sana magkaroon tayo ng Christmas EB :thumbsupsmiley:

army cut was the "popular" hair style among men of course.........

I'm not quite familiar with the army cut. For most of us back then, an army cut meant bald. That's because they really cut your hair off if you went into the AFP or the PC-INP. They actually shave your head before you go into training.

The cuts I remember are these:

Crew cut (very short, possibly what cool_hedonist meant as army cut)

Flat top (this possibly took a lot of skill on the part of the barber)

White sidewalls (shaved around the ears)

Maximum tolerable (something we often heard during CAT and CMT)

Cachupoy (parted in the middle, very popular during the 70s because of Hadji Alejandro)

John Lennon (long, and best sported if you had those John Lennon round glasses)

Gupit binata (I never actually understood what this meant, but the term was commonly used then.).

Flyaway (sa mga nagpapakulot, lalo na yung mga manlalaro sa MICAA at PBA)

Sa mga kelots lang iyan. Mas marami siguro sa mga bebots.

Edited by jt2003

Ang mga hairdo ng mga Sa Girls in the 70's madami din pero apat lang ang natatandaan ko lang ay :

China Chop - straight cut one length na parang ni-ruler ang bangs (parang NANCY or the Marie Osmond version)

Apple Cut - May bangs pero pa-oval ang cut - ang variation nito ay may FLIPS all around

Lioness - Long Hair na layered na pa-buntot sa dulo

Shaggy - Shorter version ng lioness (parang Jane Fonda)

........of course the generic long straight hair (much like now) is the hairstyle of choice then.

Di pa uso noon ang hairdye. Dati people deny coloring their hair kasi indication na matanda na sila and they do it to cover the grey hair. If they colored it lighter, they claimed it to be natural(ly) brown, Ngayon, pagka hindi chemically colored ang hair mo hindi ka IN.

Our generation wasn't so lucky. I used to dread CAT and ROTC because it meant farewell to the locks that I've been patiently growing all summer. One redeeming factor when school starts was being able to show off long hair, only to have it cut to that darned 2x3 a few weeeks later for military training. Talk about night & day!

Who would have thought bald would eventually be cool?

Nasa opisina pa rin ako!!!!!!!!!!! >:-(

Ang mga hairdo ng mga Sa Girls in the 70's madami din pero apat lang ang natatandaan ko lang ay :

China Chop - straight cut one length na parang ni-ruler ang bangs (parang NANCY or the Marie Osmond version)

Apple Cut - May bangs pero pa-oval ang cut - ang variation nito ay may FLIPS all around

Lioness -  Long Hair na layered na pa-buntot sa dulo

........of course the generic long straight hair (much like now) is the hairstyle of choice then. 

Di pa uso noon ang hairdye.  Dati people deny coloring their hair kasi indication na matanda na sila and they do it to cover the grey hair.  If they colored it lighter, they claimed it to be natural(ly) brown,  Ngayon, pagka hindi chemically colored ang hair mo hindi ka IN.

My sister used to wear her hair down below her waist. "Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let your hair down." Is the Lioness the one used by Julie Christie (Lara) in Dr. Zhivago?

Our generation wasn't so lucky. I used to dread CAT and ROTC because it meant farewell to the locks that I've been patiently growing all summer. One redeeming factor when school starts was being able to show off long hair, only to have it cut to that darned 2x3 a few weeeks later for military training. Talk about night & day!

Who would have thought bald would eventually be cool?

Yup. I loved summer because I could grow my hair. During those days, long hair was "cool." I remember when I was a freshman at UP. I got into a little argument with a military officer on why we had to have such short hair. His response? "Ikaw ba, naranasan mo nang lumaban sa gubat? Akala mo ba na tutulong sa iyo ang mahaba mong buhok?" Napatanga ako. Years later, sabi naman ng isang kaibigan kong ayaw magpagupit: "Mahaba buhok ko. NPA."

During my graduating year in high school, the administration was no longer so strict with hair, particularly toward the end of the schoolyear. After all, we were about to graduate. There was also the graduation ball to consider. We all had to look our best. In other words, no white sidewalls.

And no one wanted to be bald then. PENDONG!!!!!

Lioness -  Long Hair na layered na pa-buntot sa dulo

Di pa uso noon ang hairdye.  Dati people deny coloring their hair kasi indication na matanda na sila and they do it to cover the grey hair.  If they colored it lighter, they claimed it to be natural(ly) brown,  Ngayon, pagka hindi chemically colored ang hair mo hindi ka IN.

Meron pang nauso noong hair for girls. I just don't know kung ano yung tawag.

1. Farrah Fawcet look sa Charlie's Angels

2. Rod Stewart look o shaggy ba o lioness tawag nun.

Sa men naman nauso yung siete ala John Travolta sa Saturday Night Fever.

Hindi ko naranasan ang 2x3 kasi hindi ako nag ROTC :cool:

Hindi ko naranasan ang 2x3 kasi hindi ako nag ROTC :cool:

Unang araw namin sa CMT (MS11), marami sa amin nagpagupit ng maximum tolerable, nguni't sa Sunken Garden pa lang, hiniwalay kami ng mga cadet officer at ipinapunta kami sa Dilimall. Doon kami ginupitan ng 2x3. Ang dami namin, kaya talagang naghintay kami sa may barbero. Isang kasama namin noon, mukhang tatay na. Dati daw siyang janitor sa PMA. Isang Buddhist. Siya lang ang nakangiti. Sabi niya, nasisiyahan siya sa pagbalik sa pag-aaral kaya wala siyang problema sa pagpapaiksi ng buhok. Ang payo niya sa amin: "Treat these things as if there were no alternatives."