Back To The 70's

that's what I heard Deodato say :P

But I think Degap was a percussionist, not a drummer because his drummer there was the venerable Rick Marotta, man! If you're familiar with Steely Dan, he was the one doing that classy backbeat for Time Out Of Mind....

pare if you frequent MCS baka nagkakasalubong tayo dun because that's where I buy my LP's - kung my turntable ka madaming Deodato LP's dun :P

Bods, parang alam ko yung place na yun sa MCS ah...yun bang kina Bob? I don't have a turntable anymore so nagpapa burn nalang ako ng CDs dun, you have to wait a while to get it, but they sure do have a lot of vinyl.

Time out of mind...yun ba yung sa Gaucho LP? I got the last 2 CDs of Steely Dan, 'Everything Must Go' and 'Two Against Nature'...I still prefer the earlier work.

Bods, parang alam ko yung place na yun sa MCS ah...yun bang kina Bob? I don't have a turntable anymore so nagpapa burn nalang ako ng CDs dun, you have to wait a while to get it, but they sure do have a lot of vinyl.

Time out of mind...yun ba yung sa Gaucho LP? I got the last 2 CDs of Steely Dan, 'Everything Must Go' and 'Two Against Nature'...I still prefer the earlier work.

yup Bob's place - yeah nag-bburn nga din sila...

I think pwede tayong mag-EB sunod dun sa MCS :P

yup it's Gaucho's - that's also where Hey Nineteen is. I also have their latest efforts pero parang may kulang - it's not like what they have before. Too polished but all sheen. Mas magaling talaga yung mga luma nila pare...

Hi to all! 

I enjoy reading this thread so much I have to add my share of memories:

- Ace bag

- Faded Glory Bang Bang jeans, braided on the waistline, and metal plate at the back.

- Bargain House long sleeve body fit blouse

- Supermax and Mighty Max hair dryers para we can flip our hair and bangs ala Farrah Fawcett!

Hi Liberty...You have to help me here... :* . My memory of the 70's is already depleted.. You can probably share the typical colegiala-party horror stories common during our time...I am sure San Lo is a world away from the green fields of Katiipunan but i am sure they are just as horrific and memorable. save the tusok-tusok the fishball stories for the 80's thread :D

Welcome Libertyr. :cool:

hi jt! we also call them "Ladies Choice". there's always like that in a benefit dance, a fund raising. may tinatawag nga kaming "basket". may mga goods na ibebenta to the highest bidder habang sayaw sayaw niya ung kandidata. i dunno if u have this also.

i still can remember my very first dance, sweet dance, i mean. that was in a Girl's Scouts camping. i was in my sophomore high. i can't explain my feelings. di ko naman kilala ung partner ko. it was a blind date. the organisers invited some boys. pinapila sila and kami rin. then, isa isang lumapit ung mga boys sa amin and they are free to choose kung sino gusto nilang maging kapartner sa gabing yun. 'am just lucky, super guapo napunta sa akin. that was during the social night of the camping.  :rolleyes:

Hi Sunflower.

First off, I must commend you for the very nice invite of STORM. I don't normally venture to far away Malate..but your invitation makes we want to see the real thing.

Second, the 70's memory (ies) i wish to erase are the BLIND DATEs... My JS Prom(s) and Grad Ball were all Blind dates...chosen among the sons in my mother's circle of friends...cajoled...coerced..blackmailed...bribed into going with me...as expected..they were all dates from Hell :P ...but time has a way of making up for the bad memories...they are ALL still my friends... but try as I may...still can't describe them as guapo... :P

Para hindi ma -OT 70's best era.

Thank you STORM and the better (half) STORM for a wonderful 70's EB. My husband enjoyed meeting you both.

BODs and 16Track, nice to have finally met you. :)

Special Thanks to 16Track for the 2 CD's...Nice to hear the old Commodore songs but. I particularly like "This Is your Life" brings old memories back. AS for the "Bump" the beat is still there... will undeniably strong... but the body can't follow anymore. :D

For his music...I now forgive LIONEL RICHIE for having a daughter like NICOLE. :D

Thank you STORM and the better (half) STORM for a wonderful  70's EB.  My husband enjoyed meeting you both.

BODs and 16Track, nice to have finally met you.  :)

Special Thanks to 16Track for the 2 CD's...Nice to hear the old Commodore songs but.  I particularly like "This Is your Life" brings old memories back.  AS for the "Bump"  the beat is still there... will undeniably strong... but the body can't follow anymore.  :D

For his music...I now forgive LIONEL RICHIE for having a daughter like NICOLE.  :D

yes!

It was a nice surprise :P

That was a curious EB - 2 pocket EB's going on at the same time, unaware of the other group's presence :lol: But it was all good. Nice meeting you - you and your hubby are both wonderful!

pareng storm - you're looking great! Nice to see you again and the missus!

sayang we have to leave early pero marami namang kasunod, right!

cheers!

16track - the Jeff Healey was terrific. Your copies of Al Dimeola and Pat Metheny are now ready. You can get them any time.....

yes!

It was a nice surprise :P

That was a curious EB - 2 pocket EB's going on at the same time, unaware of the other group's presence :lol: But it was all good. Nice meeting you - you and your hubby are both wonderful!

pareng storm - you're looking great! Nice to see you again and the missus!

sayang we have to leave early pero marami namang kasunod, right!

cheers!

16track - the Jeff Healey was terrific. Your copies of Al Dimeola and Pat Metheny are now ready. You can get them any time.....

Not a surprise...just waiting for the proper time. :)

Have a nice week-end. And yes, more EB's to come. :D

yeah more to come! :P

Ano ba napagusapan nyo nina storm? Saan/kelan ang susunod :P

In my almost-fuzzy state last night, I thought I heard him volunteer his exquisite abode hehehe

say hi to the hubby, ok? :lol:  Nice weekend too!

Sorry guys about last night I really wanted to go but things got quite hectic at work. I'll make it a point to go the next one...sounds like yesterday's EB was a success!

Hi fellow teen-agers from the 70s.

It was really fun and nice seeing you guys and for sure there are more to come. Yes, pwede sa house namin and maybe pwede rin sa mga houses ninyo. But definitely we'll be having a grand time eb sa exhibit ko on October 17. I-calendar nyo na iyan.

Besides, wala ring OT rito.

Thanks 16track for the Commodores CD.

ako din Crispa :P

nasan ba si jt? Toyota yata yun hehehe....

yung second championship ng Utex I think was against Toyota...was this the game where toyota led by 7 points towards the end nahabol pa ng Utex because of Lim Eng Beng? Sabagay uso pa bentahan nun :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course my facts may be all wrong because of my faulty memory

ako din Crispa :P

nasan ba si jt? Toyota yata yun hehehe....

yung second championship ng Utex I think was against Toyota...was this the game where toyota led by 7 points towards the end nahabol pa ng Utex because of Lim Eng Beng? Sabagay uso pa bentahan nun :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Of course my facts may be all wrong because of my faulty memory

Oist!!! Crispanatic ako. Tandang-tanda ko pa si Mommy Crispa na humahamon kay Jawo kapag may ginawang kagulangan si Jawo. During those days, I hated everything that was Toyota. Any team but Toyota, in the same way the Toyotistas said Any team but Crispa.

The second championship of Utex came in 1980. The famous 16 seconds, with Toyota up by 4 in the final game of the series. Aaron James makes a quick two. Then Glen McDonald intercepts the inbound pass, is fouled, and makes two free throws. Overtime. UTex wins in OT. UTex then had its Magnificent Seven, composed of Glen McDonald, Aaron James, Bogs Adornado, Lim Eng Beng, Fritz Gaston, Jimmy Noblezada, and Rolly Pineda. For the most part during that championship series, Manotoc kept to this seven-man rotation.

In 1979, Crispa and Toyota had a great All-Filipino championship series which went all the way to five games. That was Bogs Adornado's break-out game after a long dry spell following knee surgery in 1977. I easily remember the play that killed Toyota. I believe it was Guidaben who got the rebound, gave the quick outlet to Dionisio who then made a long pass to Cezar who put the ball in...with a foul by Abe King. There was less than a minute left, and that play put Crispa up by 5.

Favorite ko rin Crispa. My idol then was Rudy Soriano. I think

Danny Florencio played for them for a while.

Sama ng loob ko nung nag-disband.

It's a strange thing, but if you visit the Crispa-Toyota thread, you'll see that many Toyota fans claim Danny Florencio as theirs since he played for Toyota in the PBA. But I've always thought of Danny Florencio as a Redmanizer, because he played for Crispa during the old MICAA. In fact, Danny Florencio was unstoppable for Crispa during "Black Sunday." That was when Jawo and Big Boy Reynoso clobbered referees Cruz and Obias. I believe this happened in 1971. Because of the suspension that followed, Jawo and Big Boy were not able to join our team to the 1972 Munich Olympics ... the last time we were able to send a basketball team to Olympic competition.

As for Rudy Soriano, he was often referred to as "Plasticman" (after the comic book character) because of the way he could twist his body when making a lay-up against good defenders. Rudy Soriano was often a member of our national team to the Pesta Sukan. He's also famous for that punch that broke Mon Fernandez's nose.

It's a strange thing, but if you visit the Crispa-Toyota thread, you'll see that many Toyota fans claim Danny Florencio as theirs since he played for Toyota in the PBA.  But I've always thought of Danny Florencio as a Redmanizer, because he played for Crispa during the old MICAA.  In fact, Danny Florencio was unstoppable for Crispa during "Black Sunday."  That was when Jawo and Big Boy Reynoso clobbered referees Cruz and Obias.  I believe this happened in 1971.  Because of the suspension that followed, Jawo and Big Boy were not able to join our team to the 1972 Munich Olympics ... the last time we were able to send a basketball team to Olympic competition.

As for Rudy Soriano, he was often referred to as "Plasticman" (after the comic book character) because of the way he could twist his body when making a lay-up against good defenders.  Rudy Soriano was often a member of our national team to the Pesta Sukan.  He's also famous for that punch that broke Mon Fernandez's nose.

Galing ng memory mo JT! Such detail, bow!

I don't agree with Totota fans on Florencio...for me he'll be a U-tex Wrangler forever. Sorry ha, but I'm no Crispa or Toyota fan. They dominated the league too much. I always like the 3rd place team, which I think was U-Tex. They would (seemingly) play sub-par in one of the leagues, so they'd be allowed to have 2 imports in the next, hence their rise to fame. Come to think of it, madaya nga pala ang U-Tex ;-)

Yeah..the Plasticman! I heard somewhere that Rudy's down on his luck and is going thru hard times?

I really miss Tembong Melencio. Whoever knifed him should have a special place in hell.

Yco painters, sina Rene Canent, Freddie Webb yun diba? They were the 3rd best in the MICAA behind Crispa, Meralco, then Yco, Mariwasa and Yutivo bringing up the rear.

Some time during the very early 70s, I was fortunate enough to watch a Meralco-Yco game at the Araneta Coliseum. During those days, the seats were made of wood. They weren't very comfortable, but they made for greater capacity. The place was packed. Yco was among the top teams then, with Freddie Webb, Sonny Reyes, Ed Ocampo, Egay Gomez, Elias Tolentino, Botchok de los Santos, Marte Samson, Joy Cleofas, etc. The atmosphere at the Araneta was incredible. In one incident, Meralco's import Presley elbowed Freddie Webb (unintentionally) who then fell and covered his face with both hands for minutes while everyone looked on. My sister was furious. She was for Yco. I was for Meralco.

Edited by jt2003