Back To The 70's

Hi Bods.

My fondest memory of vinyl is the shwoooozing sound as the needle hits the vinyl na may dead air bago mag intro ng song.....pag parties, prayer time na iyan ng mga girls....hoping they would be picked up to dance with...he!he!

I now live in Pasig by virtue of marriage.  I was born and bred in  QC...I have just transplanted myself to Pasig in 1994.

I have no doubt that the fellowship and camaraderie will be worth joining the group EB for.  I just hope, wala masyadong "senior moments"...but from the looks of it....no one in the forum is close to senility :D  ...what with the constant menatl exercise of re-living the glory days.

Ituloy na yan EB. :)

well, I never wanted to leave Pasig, having grown up there and soaked up the place for 25 years, but I also got transplanted now to another place by virtue of marriage, though I have no virtue. :P

lotsa of memories of parties in my friend's house there in the 70's. Nowadays it's so hard to imagine how we were able to hold and enjoy parties with music coming from such an unwieldy thing as an LP record :blink: If in those parties, the girls were hopeful with each dance, nervous and clumsy kids like me were always fearful. Aside from having two left feet, I also had the habit of putting my foot in my mouth whenever I talked with a girl. :lol:

Speaking of those typars, they also often had a portion called "Girls' Choice."  Just for one or two songs, during which the girls would be the ones to approach the boys for a dance.

hi jt! we also call them "Ladies Choice". there's always like that in a benefit dance, a fund raising. may tinatawag nga kaming "basket". may mga goods na ibebenta to the highest bidder habang sayaw sayaw niya ung kandidata. i dunno if u have this also.

i still can remember my very first dance, sweet dance, i mean. that was in a Girl's Scouts camping. i was in my sophomore high. i can't explain my feelings. di ko naman kilala ung partner ko. it was a blind date. the organisers invited some boys. pinapila sila and kami rin. then, isa isang lumapit ung mga boys sa amin and they are free to choose kung sino gusto nilang maging kapartner sa gabing yun. 'am just lucky, super guapo napunta sa akin. that was during the social night of the camping. :rolleyes:

well, I never wanted to leave Pasig, having grown up there and soaked up the place for 25 years, but I also got transplanted now to another place by virtue of marriage, though I have no virtue. :P

lotsa of memories of parties in my friend's house there in the 70's. Nowadays it's so hard to imagine how we were able to hold and enjoy parties with music coming from such an unwieldy thing as an LP record :blink: If in those parties, the girls were hopeful with each dance, nervous and clumsy kids like me were always fearful. Aside from having two left feet, I also had the habit of putting my foot in my mouth whenever I talked with a girl. :lol:

Ay naku Bods.... 25 years ago, LAHAT awkward...'wag lang sana, 25 years after ganoon pa rin... but mind you, madami pa rin di nagbabago.. :blink:

If we only knew Then, what we know now life will be much better kaya?!!

Another thing... it really amazes me how we can party with... JUST Spaghetti and Pineapple GIN punch. :D

Ay naku Bods.... 25 years ago, LAHAT awkward...'wag lang sana, 25 years after ganoon pa rin... but mind you, madami pa rin di nagbabago..  :blink:

If we only knew Then, what we know now life will be much better kaya?!!

Another thing... it really amazes me how we can party with... JUST Spaghetti and Pineapple GIN punch.  :D

yeah ang walang kamatayang spaghetti and punch - those were the innocent stuff then...

but you see, 25 yrs ago we didn't see things as awkward - anything of the moment, even those moments 25 years ago, were cool :thumbsupsmiley: but you are correct - so many things have happened, but nothing has changed - at least in the political and economic landscape...

It's September, and the birthdate of the dictator we once loathed and finally toppled is near...whadaya you know, mine and my best friend's firstborn saw the light of day on Da Apo's very birthdate :blink: :sick: :wacko:

Do you guys remember the parties where EVERYBody seems to smell like JOVAN musk Oil....and then came JOVAN grass oil ?????  For us, then teenyboppers...it was CHARLIE and SWEET HONESTY...

Another funny thing was that pag time to eat na....meaning lights ON...guys would rush to the table and EAT first, while the girls, with faces DOWN rush to the nearest room/CR for a touch up....!!!!

And for the girls...open secret na that we ONLY wear  Bra PADS pag may parties... I sure wish there were WONDER BRA's then na... we were left to our own creativity by using tissue paper or even stockings to "vulcanize" our chests...though you boys also had your own gimmick..I heard of a story about a young boy putting BATTERIES in his front for an illusion of a hard-on to scare us dim-witted virgins...could be an urban legend...but it did gave us the creeps....

And the usual conversation during sweet dances were  really somethinh.... I remember a young man from Ateneo asking me what my favorite subject was (BIOLOGY then) then continued to enumerate the whole Animal Kingdom...Phylum...Family...Order ....Genus  and Species!!!!! ....well, at least he put that to good use  as he is now one of the best young surgeons...well there were irreverent topics too... and true to form, they were from boys now men... who after 25 ++ years are still irreverent  :D

What if......mag-party ulit kaya at this day and age...with the same music and the same cast of characters...ha! ha! ha! Iamgine men with distended waistlines dancing the 12 steps... to the tune of funky town...priceless...  :boo:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ayoko ng Jovan lalo na yung Brut or Old Spice. Una kong nahiram sa dad ko noon ay Paco Rabanne.

I didn't do that. May nakahanda na akong food noon sa gusto kong diskartehan. :rolleyes:

Sige party eb tayo!

yeah ang walang kamatayang spaghetti and punch - those were the innocent stuff then...

but you see, 25 yrs ago we didn't see things as awkward - anything of the moment, even those moments 25 years ago, were cool :thumbsupsmiley: but you are correct - so many things have happened, but nothing has changed - at least in the political and economic landscape...

It's September, and the birthdate of the dictator we once loathed and finally toppled is near...whadaya you know, mine and my best friend's firstborn saw the light of day on Da Apo's very birthdate :blink:  :sick:  :wacko:

birthday mo pala, bods! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! magpapaspaghetti and punch ka ba?! :D samahan mo rin ng triangle sandwich na ham and salami with sandwich spread and that cold cuts ball.

pierre cardin (bottle shaped like a dildo), aramis (always gets the girls) at yung eau savage (dior. well this was towards the 80s na) were my fav scents..

in highschool, i stopped wearing greg's. na-uso "flatporm" (buti na lang wala si "ihateyouandme" dito kundi olats na ako!) shoes. Glenmore ang tunay na toga! sa may avesco sa cubao likod ng quezon theater.

Hi to all!

I enjoy reading this thread so much I have to add my share of memories:

- Ace bag

- Faded Glory Bang Bang jeans, braided on the waistline, and metal plate at the back.

- Bargain House long sleeve body fit blouse

- Supermax and Mighty Max hair dryers para we can flip our hair and bangs ala Farrah Fawcett!

Hi to all! 

- Ace bag

- Faded Glory Bang Bang jeans, braided on the waistline, and metal plate at the back.

- Supermax and Mighty Max hair dryers para we can flip our hair and bangs ala Farrah Fawcett!

Naku....enter the Saturday Night Fever era, circa 1978.....you know that twirling of the fists a la "travelling" call ng referee sa basketball...? What a dance!

Miss Liberty, to add to your list...how about those "Crayons" shoes....and look for the shiniest shirts and slickest moves in "Discorama" with Bobby Ledesma.... :D

Right smack in the middle of the decade came DEODATO with his Moonlight Serenade, Whirlwinds, Super Strut...etc...a totally different musical genre...galing! Ay sorry, G-LENG G-LENG pala (70's lingo) ! The very first concert I ever saw was Deodato at the Araneta, with Gilmore Digap and John Tropea in tow....what an experience to see the guy and hear his music live!

I have a feeling this going to be my favorite thread :D !!

Right smack in the middle of the decade came DEODATO with his Moonlight Serenade, Whirlwinds, Super Strut...etc...a totally different musical genre...galing! Ay sorry, G-LENG G-LENG pala (70's lingo) ! The very first concert I ever saw was Deodato at the Araneta, with Gilmore Digap and John Tropea in tow....what an experience to see the guy and hear his music live!

What about the slow song "EUROPA" of DEODATO ?? Wala bang may CD ng Deodato??

I remember G-Leng!! G-Leng !! as ARIEL URETA's line... Remember his show Ariel con Tina ??? He had this show na parang "For Men Only" - I forgot the name... were ELLEN ESGUERRA (Bold star) accidentaly showed her left boob (apparently ginaya ni Janet Jackson he! he!) when her strap fell that caused an uproar headed by the moralist POLLY CAYETANO ???

This is really a fun thread. :P

HI There!

Polly Cayetano. Now that's a name I haven't heard in decades.

This got me thinking of old 70's personalities that are no longer heard or just plain gone...

1. Polly Cayetano

2. Doroy Valencia

3. Kitchie Benedicto

4. Danni Vanni

5. Ben Villaflor

6. Flash Elorde

7. The Tour of Luzon bikers Sumualde, Padilla

8. Manila Mayor Bagatsing

9. Eric BAines

What about the slow song "EUROPA" of DEODATO ?? Wala bang may CD ng Deodato??

I remember G-Leng!! G-Leng !! as ARIEL URETA's line... Remember his show Ariel con Tina ???  He had this show na parang "For Men Only" - I forgot the name... were ELLEN ESGUERRA (Bold star) accidentaly showed her left boob (apparently ginaya ni Janet Jackson he! he!) when her strap fell that  caused an uproar headed by the moralist POLLY CAYETANO ???

This is really a fun thread.  :P

Welcome Ms Liberty and Pareng Slide Rule dito sa thread.

Nice to see you back Pareng Masi and Daisycutter.

Sa September 9 daw ay may EB according to Bods and 16 track. Please PM your celfone number to us. Thanks.

hi storm, thanks for the welcome and congratulations on your forthcoming exhibit. although my wife and i are not yet in the level of sculptures but we will try to see it. we own a modest collection of paintings.

i will be out of town on the 9th and i wont know yet if i can be back on time for the eb. bods has my number. medyo busy nga lang sya ngayon.

birthday mo pala, bods! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  magpapaspaghetti and punch ka ba?! :D  samahan mo rin ng triangle sandwich na ham and salami with sandwich spread and that cold cuts ball.

pierre cardin (bottle shaped like a dildo), aramis (always gets the girls) at yung eau savage (dior.  well this was towards the 80s na) were my fav scents..

in highschool, i stopped wearing greg's.  na-uso "flatporm" (buti na lang wala si "ihateyouandme" dito kundi olats na ako!) shoes.  Glenmore ang tunay na toga! sa may avesco sa cubao likod ng quezon theater.

pare maybe you got a lot of wine in you - what I said there was my son and my kumpare's son share the same birthday as Da Apo hehehe.... :P

handa sa tipar yung mga sinabi mo ah :lol:

I did not get to wear a lot of fragrances before pero sa eau sauvage ako bumigay hehehe...

Since we're on the topic of parties, it's September,

and this EW&F song was so popular back then i remember

one party i went to where it must have been played

20 times. Yet the enthusiasm of the people for the song

never waned.

It was Jovan Grass Oil then for me, and Carrera shades.

September seems to be popular in song and I don't know why. Must be the changing of the seasons, the changing in colors of nature that bring out that wistful and romantic side of songwriters. Aside from that September song by EWF, there's also the following:

I'll see you in September

When summer is gone

Have a good time but remember

I'll be waiting back home......

that's a 60's song by what group is that - Dave Clark Five ba?

September morn....

We danced until the night

Became a brand new day....

that's from the great Neil Diamond..

Hi to all! 

- Ace bag

hello there!

I seem to remember you from the Wine thread - didn't know you were from our venerable age bracket :P

welcome, ms. liberty!

welcome to the thread, pare!

I have this live Deodato CD and at the end of the concert when Eumir was introducing each and every member of his band and where they came from, I got a jolt when he announced, "Gilmore Degap - from the Philippines!" Well, well...to have been a member of Deodatos's venerable ensemble was something, and he was Pinoy! But I don't seem to know him or his background or what became of him.......

John Tropea was one hell of a guitarist - I remember him being one of the fastest guitarists I first heard - and this was in the heyday of Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck..

I don't know why Deodato decided to retire - or at least to stop recording....I loved his Love Island and his Also Sprach Zarathustra - the thunderous intro of all the instruments at the beginning of the song was quite something.....

Naku....enter the Saturday Night Fever era, circa 1978.....you know that twirling of the fists a la "travelling" call ng referee sa basketball...? What a dance!

Miss Liberty, to add to your list...how about those "Crayons" shoes....and look for the shiniest shirts and slickest moves in "Discorama" with Bobby Ledesma.... :D

when Bobby Ledesma is mentioned, I can't help but also think of Vivian Velez :P

naging syota yata ito ni Bobby eh, or at least she was a regular of Discorama and the progenitor of Body Language.......Bobby Ledesma was the epitome of that dreaded word DOM :P

also, I would guess that everyone here has seen that Vivian Velez- Rudy Farinas romp on those old grainy Betamax tapes :lol:

HI There!

Polly Cayetano. Now that's a name I haven't heard in decades.

This got me thinking of old 70's personalities that are no longer heard or just plain gone...

1. Polly Cayetano

2. Doroy Valencia

3. Kitchie Benedicto

4. Danni Vanni

5. Ben Villaflor

6. Flash Elorde

7. The Tour of Luzon bikers Sumualde, Padilla

8. Manila Mayor Bagatsing

9. Eric BAines

pare sino nga ba si Eric Baines, saka si Danni Vanni? :blink:

kala ko si Kuya Vanni sabi mo - si Giovanni Calvo nawala na din. yung mga bading nun ang tawag badaf - I wonder what happened to that word :lol: Nandun pa nun si Justo J. Justo - the perennial counilor from Pasay, and also the late Kapitana - Rey dela Cruz :upside:

Si Eric Baines yung si Colgate guy.

Pareng Bods,

Mukhang inararo mo posting ah. Kung nagkita-kita pala tayo nun ay iisa lang ang amoy natin :P

Favorite din naming mga Notre Boys si Deodato. I also had a CD of Airto, na-misplace ko :(

Edited by storm

Hi to all :D

This thread is getting to be very active...

Its good mental exercise for all of us...prevents those dreaded "senior moments" already common to our age group...

I just remembered...whatever became of the MS UNIVERSE 1974 (we had the pageant in Folk Arts) beauties? Si Ms Spain...(whats her name?) si Aruba.. Si Finland?? ... HOTDOG band even made a song "Ikaw ang Ms.Universe na buhay ko"..

And talking of bands.... for me the BEST ever is CIRCUS BAND !!! I remember seeing them play in RINO's in Roxas Blvd when I was 10 years old (I was the chaperone to my cousin)... I didnt know which overwhelmed me more ... the sizzling steak (uso yon noon) or the sizzle of rocker PABS DADIVAS or BASIL VALDEZ. Walang sinabi si BRITNEY sa attire ni TILLIE MORENO...and RICHARD TAN (Wala pang additinal "N" sa name niya, at hindi pa sila ni INNO noon :blush: ) was the coolest dude. :D