Back To The 70's

On the handle thing... you hit the nail in the head my friend. If the vernacular of a 'big prick' is 'bu-rat', then it follows that a small prick is a 'boo-mouse'!

Para hindi OT:

I will raid my dad's library this (omigosh!!!) holy week with scanner and laptop to get some choice pics of Ginoo for you guys.

Sige, pre, i miss those Ginoo and Pic picture I used to collect. They were destroyed by water when the room of our bodega nasira ng strong winds during typhoon Rosing. Post it here or kung hindi puwede, PM it to me hehehehe.

^^^ Very nice write-up, Pareng Boomouse. :cool: It sure brought back a lot of memories of places around Metro Manila.

Is the Gregg Store in San Juan still around? I do remember that place along N. Domingo.

I remember the bus lines you mentioned along with the nicknames people gave them such as JD (Judas-Driven) Transit and DM (Demonyo Mag-maneho) Transit. Another example of lawanit-framed buses was the Marikina Auto Line. I also remember the day I first rode on an airconditioned Love Bus. :cool:

=========================================================================

Yah, I used to ride those maroon colored JD buses from Quiapo to Project 6. I used to marvel at the newly-built ABS-CBN tower. Ang taas taas kasi nuon. Even walked through the street katapat Channel 2 just to look up at their tower.

Yes, too bad all my collections are gone... damn rats! :(

I wrote an article once in Jingle Magazine. I was commissioned by one of the staffers who is my friend to write an article about Audiophile Terminologies to explain it in layman's term. I can't remember what issue that was, but it had Donna Summers on the cover with green background. B)

==============================================

Jingle Mag. Got the very first copy of it with Paul McCartney as its cover.

What about the x-rated local movies inserted in between double bills at the old Del Monte theater along Del Monte avenue just off Roosevelt. This was where I saw the late George Estregan humping who I think was Rosanna Ortiz and that classic humping movie of Ricky Rogers and Scarlet.

Entrance during the early 70s was 50 centavos. We would go in after lunch after the last day of our periodical tests and get to step out after dark. In between there would be a showing of a Jess Lapid or Jun Aristorenas flick doubled with some local scary movie.

The seats were four abreast wood benches with no upholstery and if you happen to sit on top of a bedbug nest, too bad for you. The floors tended to get slippery too and we all knew why.

==============================================================================

Naku, mga surot sa loob ng sinehan. There used to be a small movie theater at Craig na punong puto ng surot! Also there's the old Mayfair theater in Sta.Cruz. and who would forget the infamous GALA theater!

i know they long gone but i still remember Topper's & Manlapat Haberdashery wehehehe.... mahal sumingil grabeh....mahal pa sa bile mo na tela..... never tried them though ....... i think the Toppers was around Dilson Theather? back then... nice reading/reminiscing the past pages... :D

======================================

D'Sharp haberdashery owned by Dolphy

Martin Landau (Rollin Hand) and Barbara Bain (Cinnamon Carter) were there in season one. Interestingly, Leonard Nimoy later replaced Martin Landau after the "Star Trek" series went off the air.

Cristopher George (remember "The Immortal"?) and Linday Day George also appeared as part of the MI team. One guest team member I'll never forget was that actor who played Cage in "Combat." He was called in because of his special skills in robbing a bank. As for the cast most people remember, Peter Lupus was the brawn, Greg Morris was the brains, Martin Landau was the face (many of them), Barbara Bain was the seductress, while Peter Graves was the head and often the front.

But really, I simply can't forgive Tom Cruise for making Mr. Phelps a villain in MI1. That, and the way he corrupted the Mission Impossible concept. The very reason the IMF was called in was because conventional methods couldn't work. So the IMF used deception and cunning. In the MI movies with Tom Cruise, it's guns blazing. Ugly. I can't remember an episode where Peter Graves or Martin Landau used a gun.

And I'd still like to see the episode where the IMF failed a mission.

Yah, I used to ride those maroon colored JD buses from Quiapo to Project 6. I used to marvel at the newly-built ABS-CBN tower. Ang taas taas kasi nuon. Even walked through the street katapat Channel 2 just to look up at their tower.

Yes, that was in the early seventies before martial law was imposed. After that ABS-CBN's premises were taken over by Marcos Crony Roberto Benedicto and his Kanlaon Broadcasting System. KBS 9 became the biggest TV network along with BBC 2 and BBC 4.

KBS had a teeny bopper program at 6 pm daily called "9 Teeners" hosted by Ed Finlan, Gigi Montañer, and one other girl. I think it was patterned after the us show Shindig.

======================================

D'Sharp haberdashery owned by Dolphy

Sleeks was owned by Eddie Ilarde. Ever tried those plastic 'wet look' pants with matching chaleco and the paisley print long sleeved shirt with the balooned sleeves and the three-button cuffs? The were 70s pre-martial law fashion and they made your balls stew in the noontime heat.

This gave way to the SDK. Not the outlawed Samahang Demokratiko ng Kabataan but the Samahang Double Knit which was a slightly more confortable material because the fabric at least breathes even if it did not absorb your sweat. And because it was so hard to keep that 'liston' on it a new industry was born: the perma-press business.

Padaan lang.

Welcome to the newbies. Keep on posting. :thumbsupsmiley:

I saw "Exclusively His" in Quezon Ave. recently. It's also famous in the 70s.

Double knit with nik nik shirt. Hayus, groovy!!! :cool:

Don't forget the Faded Glory jeans and the Happy Feet clogs. I think the birdwing collars are coming back a bit. The platform shoes have come and gone thankfully not for men's shoes.

How many still remember the Panacraft toy store in Malugay and Quezon Arcade in Cubao. A mecca for slot car and Voltes V fans as well as model hobbyists (not the kind that breathes--we were too young then). I do remember the Alibangbang club accross EDSA from Farmer's Market.

Padaan lang.

Welcome to the newbies. Keep on posting. :thumbsupsmiley:

I saw "Exclusively His" in Quezon Ave. recently. It's also famous in the 70s.

Double knit with nik nik shirt. Hayus, groovy!!! :cool:

... with a matching pair of custom-made leather boots from that famous shop (i can't remember) somewhere in Recto. :P

Martin Landau (Rollin Hand) and Barbara Bain (Cinnamon Carter) were there in season one. Interestingly, Leonard Nimoy later replaced Martin Landau after the "Star Trek" series went off the air.

now that's interesting...didn't know Leonard Nimoy was there too...

now what happened to Martin Landau after his Oscar-winning turn in ED WOOD? Saw that movie again in HBO and it was sure fun. PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE was voted in a book as the worst movie ever! Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in ED WOOD was simply outstanding...

Yes, that was in the early seventies before martial law was imposed. After that ABS-CBN's premises were taken over by Marcos Crony Roberto Benedicto and his Kanlaon Broadcasting System. KBS 9 became the biggest TV network along with BBC 2 and BBC 4.

KBS had a teeny bopper program at 6 pm daily called "9 Teeners" hosted by Ed Finlan, Gigi Montañer, and one other girl. I think it was patterned after the us show Shindig.

==========================================================

and Meralco was "bought" by Kokoy "d'crocodile" Romualdez for P1,500.00! Ewan ko, sa sobrang ganid sa power ni Kokoy, did he ever had a banggaan ni Danding?

Yes, I remember 9 teeners.....I also remember those shows like Sound Off-Channel 11, Darigold Jamboree and Student Canteen. Stop'Look'Listen din.

Sleeks was owned by Eddie Ilarde. Ever tried those plastic 'wet look' pants with matching chaleco and the paisley print long sleeved shirt with the balooned sleeves and the three-button cuffs? The were 70s pre-martial law fashion and they made your balls stew in the noontime heat.

This gave way to the SDK. Not the outlawed Samahang Demokratiko ng Kabataan but the Samahang Double Knit which was a slightly more confortable material because the fabric at least breathes even if it did not absorb your sweat. And because it was so hard to keep that 'liston' on it a new industry was born: the perma-press business.

======================================================

Wet look....hahaha, the once Tisoy wore. ANg sikip sikip kung minsan kailangan mo pa ng alalay para lang mahubad. Double Knit, sarap sa legs mas lalo kung uupo ka, sumasabay kasi sa skin. Also remember the Bang! Bang! Perma-Press na nakakasugat. Thank God di na naging uso sa 70s yung almirol. Back then during the late 60s, sa kapal ng almerol, puwedeng tumayo yung khaki ko mag isa!

Don't forget the Faded Glory jeans and the Happy Feet clogs. I think the birdwing collars are coming back a bit. The platform shoes have come and gone thankfully not for men's shoes.

How many still remember the Panacraft toy store in Malugay and Quezon Arcade in Cubao. A mecca for slot car and Voltes V fans as well as model hobbyists (not the kind that breathes--we were too young then). I do remember the Alibangbang club accross EDSA from Farmer's Market.

=================================================

Yung "tina" na hinahalo sa tubig na pampaputi ng nilabhan.

Ayala Center then was more parking lot than shopping center. Parking was free and the shopping complex was composed of single level arcades. If you took your date to see a movie at the Rizal Theater (where 6750 now stands) followed by merienda or early dinner at Dulcinea just outside it you were bound to impress and not strike out.

Actually, it is the Shangri-La that now stands on the same lot where Rizal Theater was. The Queue was at the Regent on Roxas Blvd., which burned down. The disco at Manila Midtown Ramada was Club Valentino. There was also Delirium near the old United supermart, Another World on top of the old Shakey's, Yungib at the old Makati Hotel (now the MMDA hq), Circuit at the old Hyatt, Stargazer at Silahis, Apres at Manila Hotel, and another disco at the corner of UN facing the old Hilton where a McDo is now located. Really great times during the 70s.

Discos then were Where Else? at the Intercon basement, Altitude 49 at the Manila Garden Hotel, Queue at the Midtown Ramada (now the Heritage after it was rebuilt after burning down), the Velvet Slum at the Hotel Frederick (corner of harrison and buendia), Circles where the old Scwatzwalder and now the new Ayala Museum now stands, Subway in Maria Orosa st infront of the Manila Hilton (now the Waterfront).

Bus companies plying EDSA had bodies made of "lawanit" and had names like California Bus Lines, JD Transit, CAM Transit, JD Liner, and DM Transit. Jeepneys had just been outlawed in EDSA (and the jeepney drivers could not complain because Martial law was in force) they were replaced by minibuses that were just as small, just as dangerous and were driven by the same maniacs.

DM was the death machine

Edited by sally bogna mathay

Actually, it was MM Lines (red and black Mercedes Benz buses) that plied Quiapo-Pag-asa. The Quiapo-UP route was plied by JD, MD, CAM; the project 8-Quiapo was the white DM; while the project 2/3-Quiapo was the yellow De Dios

=========================================

It was the late Uncle Bob of Lucky 7 Club that usually promotes Panacraft. We visited the store sa Cubao and bought the very creative Spirograph where one can draw art form using plastic wheel/ruler guides. Parati kong ginagawa yung "owl" art na sobrang gastos sa ballpen ink (different colors pa) that i abandoned the "toy" after a year. Nasa akin pa yung "toy".

Also, I remember Vic Morrow of Combat series sa Channel 7. He once visited our school sa UST. Pinagkaguluhan. Superstar siya sa mga kabataan during those years.

=========================================

Also, I remember Vic Morrow of Combat series sa Channel 7. He once visited our school sa UST. Pinagkaguluhan. Superstar siya sa mga kabataan during those years.

aka Sgt. Saunders + Cage + Big John + Kirby

who was Rick Jason? = Lt. _______