• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Back To The 70's

Those K-rations were really hits during the 70s.  They were great pasalubongs any time a friend or relative went to Clark and/or Subic.  While eating the stuff, you could pretend to be Sgt. Saunders or a character in "The Longest Day."  There were also dishes that you couldn't find in any supermarket in Metro at the time (eg. beef in apple sauce). I believe that those things have long since been replaced by "ready to eat" meals (I'm not quite sure if that's the term) which are lighter.  In other words, no more cans.

By the way, while those K-rations looked cool, they didn't give the GIs an advantage in war.  Way back when, sometime after the Vietnam War, a military man told me that that was one of the differences between the GIs and the Vietcong and the NVA.  The GIs needed those rations.  The VC and the NVA lived off the land.  That made the VC and the NVA faster and more flexible.  During that war, our lovely PI was so important, in the sense that no GI was sent to Vietnam for combat duty without first going through survival training in Subic, with the Aetas as their instructors.

How true? The Philippines has become so indispensable as a training venue for

the US that the phil gov't actually lets insurgency and terrorism flourish para

mapag-praktisan ng mga kano. Not to mention the money made from military ops.

Those K-rations were really hits during the 70s.  They were great pasalubongs any time a friend or relative went to Clark and/or Subic.  While eating the stuff, you could pretend to be Sgt. Saunders or a character in "The Longest Day."  There were also dishes that you couldn't find in any supermarket in Metro at the time (eg. beef in apple sauce). I believe that those things have long since been replaced by "ready to eat" meals (I'm not quite sure if that's the term) which are lighter.  In other words, no more cans.

By the way, while those K-rations looked cool, they didn't give the GIs an advantage in war.  Way back when, sometime after the Vietnam War, a military man told me that that was one of the differences between the GIs and the Vietcong and the NVA.  The GIs needed those rations.  The VC and the NVA lived off the land.  That made the VC and the NVA faster and more flexible.  During that war, our lovely PI was so important, in the sense that no GI was sent to Vietnam for combat duty without first going through survival training in Subic, with the Aetas as their instructors.

Meron pang maliit na can opener and 6 sticks of cigarettes. Kaya nga pag open mo nito sa campings, confiscated kaagad ng scoutmaster ang mga yosi.

Cafe Valenzuela has closed last 1995 i think, i used to frequent that place since my Auntie lives in Baliwag and she meets her barkada before driving back to Manila :D

The K Rations were great...My Dad and I got our fix (for free) when Clark was still open and AFP officers were treated like Joes inside as well :D

Wala ring traffic noon.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Nagsimula nang early 70s hanggang Tabang tapos naextend hanggang Dau noong late 70s. There were times that we go to Dau from UP Diliman just to eat honest to goodness American food and buy stuffs like imported T-shirts (amoy US), combat meals and back issues of US magazines. Our travel time then was only an hour one way.

Hindi naman OT, we're just connecting the past to the present.  :cool:

We used to go to my mom's ancestral home in Cabanatuan City and we usually had breakfast at Cafe Valenzuela. I haven't been to Cafe Valenzuela since the Sta. Rita toll opened. I wonder if it's is still open.

Naging usapang parents!!! :D  :D  :D

Can we go back to usapang parents mode? :)

Guys if you have a videocam, I really recommend you take footage your kids, no matter how young or old. The other day, I watched 3-year old footage of my son when he was 10, and it was such a moving experience to hear him talk with such a high pitched, child like voice...you see, at 14 he now has this deep, young man's voice. What a difference a few years makes! I let my wife listen to it and she couldn't believe her ears either.

Such a simple experience, yet so profound.

Manny Pacquiao won!!!!

Reminds me of the Thrilla in Manila.

Manny improved a lot in this fight as compared to his first losing bout to Eric Morales. Ganoon din noon si Ali contra Frazier.

Congrats to the Pacman! :thumbsupsmiley:

Where were you nung Thrilla' in Manila?

Ako 1st year high school, classes were suspended because all the teachers wanted to watch the fight. Naglagay ng black and white TV sa classroom and some 60 people crammed inside to watch.

Ako 1st year high school, classes were suspended because all the teachers wanted to watch the fight. Naglagay ng black and white TV sa classroom and some 60 people crammed inside to watch.

I was only in grade 4 or 5 at that time.... I don't remember actually watching the fight. I do remember that around that time, nauso yung mga boxing puppets bearing the likeness of Ali and Frazier which you manipulate using your index and middle fingers to make them punch. Usually sold by vendors outside our school. But never bought any of those. :unsure:

When exactly was The Thrilla in Manila? 1970 ba? If I recall, I think I was still in grade school then (maybe Gr. 6 or 7?), so, could you have been 1st year HS? Alam ko kasi, mas matanda ako sa yo! :D

Same thing happened in our school, I was in Institucion Teresiana (if that sounds unfamiliar to you, the school is now known as Poveda), we were all allowed to leave the classroom to go to the science lab, where a TV was set up. Just imagine all the "dalagitas" in the yellow/white checkered uniform watching the boxing match intently.

I believe the Thrilla in Manila happened in 1976 or thereabouts. The brothers sent us home right after school assembly so that we could watch the fight. I believe it was the late Joe Cantada who did the commentary for the Philippine broadcast (I suppose he didn't have access to the ring itself), so at the time we never got to hear one of biggest compliments that Ali paid an opponent. "He's the greatest, next to me," Ali said of Frazier immediately after the fight, when he, Ali, was seated on the canvas, exhausted and glad that it was over. It was only later, when the Thrilla was shown in retro boxing programs, that we got to hear that line from an interview in the ring.

One of the most enduring sights from the Thrilla was Frazier losing his mouthpiece in the 13th and the 14th.

Another enduring memory was the ending. The Philippine broadcast was running commercials when the fight ended. When we returned to the fight, it was over. We were all asking, "What happened?" Because we never saw the actual stoppage, Cantada and company had to explain that Frazier could no longer continue. That ending had another classic line, this time from Frazier: "I can't see. I can't see."

75 or 76 yata :)

In grade school, classes were suspeneded with every Clay/Ali fight.

We fondly called them "Ali-days"

If it was '75 or '76, I was indeed in high school then (4th year high school to be exact!). Oh well, I'm having what they call senior moments... my memory getting rusty now and then... :cry:

So, what was that monumental boxing match sometime in the late sixties or early seventies? The one when I was STILL in grade school? It must have been held here, or were there "live-via-satellite" telecasts already then?

The Thrilla in Manila was after the Foreman vs Ali fight in Zaire. It happened on October 1, 1975.

Oct. 1, 1975 - "Of all the men I fought, Sonny Liston was the scariest, George Foreman was the most powerful, Floyd Patterson was the most skilled as a boxer," Ali once said. "But the roughest and toughest was Joe Frazier. He brought out the best in me, and the best fight we fought was in Manila."

Frazier had won their first bout and Ali their second. It was 10:45 a.m. in the Philippines when their rubber match started, and the "The Thrilla in Manila" lived up to the hype.

The bout turned out to be three fights in one: The first had Ali, the champion, outboxing and outscoring Frazier, nailing him with clean, sharp shots. The second fight, from the fifth through the 11th, had Frazier giving a terrible pounding to Ali. The third fight began in the 12th round and somehow Ali, with the will of a champion, tore into Frazier for the next three rounds.

When the bell rang for the 15th round, Frazier, with his eyes almost completely shut, remained in his corner as his trainer, Eddie Futch, threw in the towel.

"Man, I hit him with punches that'd bring down the walls of a city," Frazier said. "Lawdy, lawdy, he's a great champion."

Ali said, "It was like death. Closest thing to dying that I know of."

I was in 4th year high school. We had 2 TV sets in our classroom. One for the pro-Ali and on the other side, another one for the pro-Frazier. Both were SONY Trinitron TV sets. BIG TIME!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

We watched "Big Time" last night. One of the most hilarious yet dark film I've ever seen. :thumbsupsmiley:

If it was '75 or '76, I was indeed in high school then (4th year high school to be exact!). Oh well, I'm having what they call senior moments... my memory getting rusty now and then...  :cry:

So, what was that monumental boxing match sometime in the late sixties or early seventies? The one when I was STILL in grade school? 

Clay vs Liston?

Just kidding... :D