Back To The 70's

Hmmm...

Anybody here the min--series on TV during the 70's? These mini-series were mostly based on best selling novels. Among those I remember and liked were:

1. Rich Man, Poor Man -- Starring Peter Strauss and a young Nick Nolte about two immigrant brothers  

growing up in a post war America. There was part two of this series.

2. Roots                     -- The Alex Haley Novel about the slave, Kunta Kinte.

3. The Betsy               -- Was this written by Harold Robbins? Cant remember yet.

4. Wheels                   -- Was this written by Arthur Haley -- a novel that seemed parallel to "The Betsy"

:D

I don't think "The Betsy" was ever a mini-series. Too much flesh for TV. Pero sobrang ganda talaga ni Leslie Anne Down dito. "Rich Man, Poor Man" also featured Susan Blakely and Edward Asner; the latter is also known as Mr. Lou Grant, a character that originated from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." "Roots" was shown on the old BBC Channel 2. It was shown in our PI at the same time that GMA-7 was showing Alex Haley's "The Moneychangers," which starred Kirk Douglas and Christopher Plummer (Sound of Music, The Thorn Birds). Rock Hudson (the first high-profile victim of AIDS) starred with Blaire Brown in Alex Haley's "Wheels," which didn't have nearly the flesh of "The Betsy."

Edited by jt2003
I keep forgetting this Tuesday CROSSROADS - sayang pare ang sarap pa namang i-record sana nito...

pards if you remember Johnny Alegre the guitarist - who with his group Akasha and together with Mother Earth had those memorable RJ parking lot concerts in the 70's - he's finally out with an album - after 20 long years!!! He has a band in this album and the band includes Colby dela Calzada on bass and Tots Tolentino on sax...saw a picture of Johnny Alegre and kalbo na siya - very different from the long-haired fellow I used to see hanging out in the Conservatory of Music in the 70's...

Well, that's good for Johnny Alegre, at dapat lang. The playlist also included Anakbayan's Probinsiyana...I haven't heard that song in like decades. I guess someone finally decided to come up with a CD of Pinoy rock songs, kasi malinis yung tunog at di parang plaka.

I keep forgetting this Tuesday CROSSROADS - sayang pare ang sarap pa namang i-record sana nito...

pards if you remember Johnny Alegre the guitarist - who with his group Akasha and together with Mother Earth had those memorable RJ parking lot concerts in the 70's - he's finally out with an album - after 20 long years!!! He has a band in this album and the band includes Colby dela Calzada on bass and Tots Tolentino on sax...saw a picture of Johnny Alegre and kalbo na siya - very different from the long-haired fellow I used to see hanging out in the Conservatory of Music in the 70's...

I was there at the Ayala Museum launch of the album and they played a lot of tunes from thecd and some not included in the cd. They were still playing when I left the place.

what CD is this, pare?

I don't know, pare. I'm just thinking that there might be a CD of Pinoy rock (or Anakbayan), since the cut I heard on Crossroads last week sounded clean. Unless of course it was a well preserved 33 or 45 rpm...pero since uso ngayon ang compilation, it's very possible nga na may CD na ganito. May 16 track can help us here. But if you do see one pareng Bods, just holler!

I was there at the Ayala Museum launch of the album and they played a lot of tunes from thecd and some not included in the cd. They were still playing when I left the place.

nakow!

I missed that :angry: kelan ito pareng storm?

sayang.....

I got the album na and I say they're real good - parang yung mga ECM albums...

kung hindi mo nga alam na Pinoy, mapapagkamalan mong stateside...

Johnny Alegre's seamless playing sometimes resembles the playing of John Abercrombie...

Tots Tolentino sounds like Eberhard Weber on his sax...

I don't know, pare. I'm just thinking that there might be a CD of Pinoy rock (or Anakbayan), since the cut I heard on Crossroads last week sounded clean. Unless of course it was a well preserved 33 or 45 rpm...pero since uso ngayon ang compilation, it's very possible nga na may CD na ganito. May 16 track can help us here. But if you do see one pareng Bods, just holler!

I was looking for one nga when I went out to buy the Johnny Alegre CD..

couldn't find one...but I will still be looking, pare

nakow!

I missed that :angry:  kelan ito pareng storm?

sayang.....

I got the album na and I say they're  real good - parang yung mga ECM albums...

kung hindi mo nga alam na Pinoy, mapapagkamalan mong stateside...

Johnny Alegre's seamless playing sometimes resembles the playing of John Abercrombie...

Tots Tolentino sounds like Eberhard Weber on his sax...

April 27. I should have stayed pa sana kaya lang I have to fetch my wife and kid pa sa megamall. Ang galing pre. Para ngang imported. How's the recording of the cd?

April 27. I should have stayed pa sana kaya lang I have to fetch my wife and kid pa sa megamall. Ang galing pre. Para ngang imported. How's the recording of the cd?

sayang last week lang pala...

the sonic quality of the recording is quite thin - that's one thing I noticed with local CD's...

sayang nga eh the recording could have been more amped up magaganda pa naman yung mga cuts...

the guitar parts are quite inaudible together with the drums and bass....

finally remembered to tune in to CROSSROADS tonight...

heard the original version of BLACK MAGIC WOMAN by Peter Green and the original Fleetwood Mac...also heard songs by Hendrix, Joplin, Junior Wells, Stevie Ray Vaughan....

Now it's my turn to forget...hey, I didn't know FMac did the original. All the while I thought it was Santana. Pare, did you read about Cream recently doing a concert 37 years after they broke up?

LONDON, England (CNN) -- It could have gone all terribly wrong. Jack Bruce could have passed out during his bass solo. Ginger Baker could have expired amid a flurry of drumsticks. Or the two could have just beaten each other silly right there on stage. All the while guitarist Eric Clapton would be gently weeping in the wings.

None of this would have surprised Cream fans in the 1960s -- the acrimony and excesses within the supergroup being as well known as their musical riffs.

But that was then, this is now.

Thirty-seven years after the group performed its final concert at Royal Albert Hall, the trio returned to the same venue on Monday, much changed but still very much revered.

"Thanks for waiting all these years," Clapton admonished the crowd of mostly over 50s during the first of four sold-out concerts in London. "We're going to play every song we know."

Well, not quite. In just over two hours, Cream ripped through 18 songs -- beginning with "I'm So Glad" and then on to "Spoonful," "Badge," "Born Under a Bad Sign," "Sitting On Top of the World" and "White Room."

After a tentative start and strained vocals on the first song, the group grew tighter, more assured and even energized. It was during "White Room" and the encore offering of "Sunshine of Your Love" that the audience -- and the group -- seemed to be dragged (singing and swaying) from the past into the present, without missing a beat.

Cream burst onto the scene unexpectedly in 1966 -- three musicians little known outside their individual musical spheres but very much aware of their own abilities, as was evident in the choice of group's name. And for just over two years (from 1966 to 1968), they were indeed the cr่me de la cr่me.

Clapton, now 60, was still in his teens when he showed himself to be a guitar wizard with the Yardbirds and then legendary John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. It was Baker who first approached Clapton about forming a group. It was Clapton who suggested Bruce as the third member -- an idea that didn't go down well with Baker, who had fallen out with the Scotsman when they were both members of the Graham Bond Organisation, a British rhythm and blues band. Despite the animosity between the two -- something that would take on violent overtones and self-destructive behavior in years ahead -- Baker and Bruce agreed to work together again.

Gone on Monday was the acrimony, along with the extended improvisations and half-hour solos.

Somewhere in the vacuum of career transitions and personal crisis, Clapton and company appear to have become a group, perhaps really for the first time. Mature, paced and professional, and begging the question: How good would these guy have been in the early days if not for drugs, alcohol and egos?

Still, as Baker launched into his obligatory drum solo (at under six minutes, far shorter than his trademark outings), a fan yelled out, "You go old man." He didn't need the encouragement.

Why the three agreed to a reunion at this time and place is not yet clear. They're not talking publicly.

Clapton certainly doesn't need the money. The others clearly do, but at what cost to their physical well-being? Bruce had a liver transplant in 2003, while Baker reportedly suffers from arthritis.

But Clapton hinted at a possible reunion in 1993, when the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and played a brief set for the audience. "I was moved," Clapton is quoted as saying in "To The Limits," a 2003 book by Forbes magazine's Jim Clash. "I was in some other place. It's been so long since I've been around something from somebody else that's inspired me." Up until then, he added, "it's been up to me to inspire me."

For his part, Bruce, 61, has admitted that cash has also been a factor but so has Cream's place in history. "Apart from the money... that band tends to get overlooked these day," he says in Clash's book. "Led Zeppelin, for instance, has gotten a lot of recognition, and quite rightly so. But, it seems to be forgotten that Cream and (Jimi) Hendrix really created that audience. A reunion would help clarify that."

On a Monday evening in London, four decades on, that quality came through loud (but not too loud) and clear.

And to answer the question of why and why now on Clapton's behalf ... with many of his old friends and colleagues now dead, it's perhaps comforting to be encircled by those who helped get you where you are today. The comfort of friends reconciled and wiser ... while they last.

For those who missed Monday's concert, and the others, the marketers have been busy

"I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream," a 2 CD set billed as "the definitive collection from the original supergroup," was released on Monday. They include studio and live performances by Cream.

There's also a "Special Edition - Limited Deluxe" 3 CD box set, which includes BBC sessions and interviews with Clapton.

pareng sally - yeah, wasn't also aware that Santana's was a cover until I bought a greatest hits LP from Bobby - the original Fleetwood Mac...it contained that original BMW, also The Green Manalishi and Oh, Well - maybe you're familiar with them.

The original Fleetwood was an all-male band, the originals being the great bluesman Peter Green on guitar and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Talagang iba ang sound nila - more bluesy - than the later incarnations of the band with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham and Christine McVie.

Pare thanks for sharing that newsclip about Cream - wonder why wala akong nabasa nyan from the papers...Really amazing how those three are still alive today - and can still play!

I won't be surprised kung may DVD ang performance nilang yan ngayon...Must be good to watch

pareng sally - yeah, wasn't also aware that Santana's was a cover until I bought a greatest hits LP from Bobby - the original Fleetwood Mac...it contained that original BMW, also The Green Manalishi and Oh, Well - maybe you're familiar with them.

The original Fleetwood was an all-male band, the originals being the great bluesman Peter Green on guitar and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Talagang iba ang sound nila - more bluesy - than the later incarnations of the band with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham and Christine McVie.

Pare thanks for sharing that newsclip about Cream - wonder why wala akong nabasa nyan from the papers...Really amazing how those three are still alive today - and can still play!

I won't be surprised kung may DVD ang performance nilang yan ngayon...Must be good to watch

I know, 60+ and still rocking (shades of Jethro Tull's "too young to die, too old to rock and roll")...nah, one is never too old to rock & roll. Strangely, for someone who's had a liver transplant (Bruce) and arthritis (Baker), this is probably the best therapy. Next in line for a reunion...Led Zep perhaps? Kaya lang wala na si John "Bonzo" Bonham. His son took his place during Live Aid but I guess never endeared himself to Page and Plant. Will keep my eyes open for a DVD or CD of this concert...it shouldn't be too long before the bootleggers of Bangkok come up with a copy on the sidewalk!

I know, 60+ and still rocking (shades of Jethro Tull's "too young to die, too old to rock and roll")...nah, one is never too old to rock & roll. Strangely, for someone who's had a liver transplant (Bruce) and arthritis (Baker), this is probably the best therapy. Next in line for a reunion...Led Zep perhaps? Kaya lang wala na si John "Bonzo" Bonham. His son took his place during Live Aid but I guess never endeared himself to Page and Plant. Will keep my eyes open for a DVD or CD of this concert...it shouldn't be too long before the bootleggers of Bangkok come up with a copy on the sidewalk!

pards ikuha mo din ako pag meron :P

sana may BLIND FAITH reunion din - buhay pa mga members nito - Steve Winwood is still going strong..kaya ko naalala BLIND FAITH becus I got to listen to Eric Clapton's 1972 Greatest Hits LP (mind you, 33 years old na ang LP na ito and although it sounds raw, as it is something that came out of the 70's, still it is good listening fare. You must wonder how the CDs of today will sound like 30 years from now.........) and one of the cuts there is SEA OF LOVE from that group.....

pards ikuha mo din ako pag meron :P

sana may BLIND FAITH reunion din - buhay pa mga members nito - Steve Winwood is still going strong..kaya ko naalala BLIND FAITH becus I got to listen to Eric Clapton's 1972 Greatest Hits LP (mind you, 33 years old na ang LP na ito and although it sounds raw, as it is something that came out of the 70's, still it is good listening fare. You must wonder how the CDs of today will sound like 30 years from now.........) and one of the cuts there is SEA OF LOVE from that group.....

Yup, vinyl will be never be out of style! I'll keep my eyes open for a copy. I like Steve Winwood's Valerie, Higher Love, Spanish Dancer. Heven't heard a new recording from him in the last few years. Speaking of Sea of Love, pare, I like the scene in the movie when Ellen Barkin snuggles up behind Al Pacino and rubs her body on his back...before they do it! Also when they meet in a grocery and he slips his hand in her coat, the only thing she's wearing.

Yup, vinyl will be never be out of style! I'll keep my eyes open for a copy. I like Steve Winwood's Valerie, Higher Love, Spanish Dancer. Heven't heard a new recording from him in the last few years. Speaking of Sea of Love, pare, I like the scene in the movie when Ellen Barkin snuggles up behind Al Pacino and rubs her body on his back...before they do it! Also when they meet in a grocery and he slips his hand in her coat, the only thing she's wearing.

wow I better get a copy of that :boo:

Arc of A Diver - ang galing, pare!

wonderful these ringback tunes now in cellphones...I got BEEP BEEP from the Juan De la Cruz band hehe...so if you call me, I won't answer agad para madinig nyo muna yung kanta :P

....sakay na kayo...kahit hanggang kanto...

ang buhay ng tsuper, ay di gawang biro.....

:cool:

wow I better get a copy of that :boo:

Arc of A Diver - ang galing, pare!

wonderful these ringback tunes now in cellphones...I got BEEP BEEP from the Juan De la Cruz band hehe...so if you call me, I won't answer agad para madinig nyo muna yung kanta :P

....sakay na kayo...kahit hanggang kanto...

ang buhay ng tsuper, ay di gawang biro.....

:cool:

Yes, that was the name of the album where all those songs are. Ok yan, pare, JDC song ang ringer tone mo. Sana meron din Laklakan! Hope to make it in time for their June 11 reunion concert. Sayang wala na Edmund "Bosyo" Fortuno. Are you watching it? Any idea kung magkano ang tickets?

Yes, that was the name of the album where all those songs are. Ok yan, pare, JDC song ang ringer tone mo. Sana meron din Laklakan! Hope to make it in time for their June 11 reunion concert. Sayang wala na Edmund "Bosyo" Fortuno. Are you watching it? Any idea kung magkano ang tickets?

pards the other available ringbacks for Globe are BALONG MALALIM and HIMIG NATIN...

wasn't even aware that they'll be having a reunion concert...I only heard talk yun pala may schedule na talaga...buti ka pa dyan sa BK mas updated :P

Of course, I'll be seeing it - sana nandito ka na nun - we'll watch together......better still, all regulars in this thread can meet up there for concert-watching-cum-EB :boo:

waddaya guys say?