Back To The 70's

Hi Magaling.  Where you with the BEDAN?  What year and  which publication ?

Mukhang world is getting smaller.  :)

No I was with The Builder, that's the school paper of Mapua where I went to college. That's also how I got involved with the CEGP. Before that I was also with The Little Bedan in GS. And HS, well, nada because I was a basketcase in HS. Hehehe :)

No I was with The Builder, that's the school paper of Mapua where I went to college.  That's also how I got involved with the CEGP.  Before that I was also with The Little Bedan in GS.  And HS, well, nada because I was a basketcase in HS. Hehehe :)

Most of us were were shooting stars in grade school..but then came HIGH SCHOOL...wala na. You had to be (surely I was) borderline basketcase in order to get through puberty, adolescence and High School...much like now..through Midlife. :D :D

I was close to SBC HS batch 1978 and know some from '76 and and '77, '79 and '80 . I suppose that you belong to a late / early 80 batch as well. SBC HS grads who were my contemporaries in UP were the most down-to-earth dudes during my time. :) Your HS fairs in the late 70's were must-go affairs for my girl friends.

You had to be (surely I was) borderline basketcase in order to get through puberty, adolescence and High School...much like now..through Midlife.  :D  :D

Ganun ba? Perhaps that explains why although my college days (80s) can be considered more colorful, mas masarap i-reminisce yung HS. It was a time for many of our "firsts". That may explain also why I am more active in the 70s thread than in the 80s...

Midlife? I guess you can say that. At no other point in between HS and midlife do I remember going through a seesaw of emotions where I can be happy, sad, angry, insecure, excited and then numb all in one day. :blink:

I was close to SBC HS batch 1978 and know some from  '76 and and '77, '79 and '80 .  I suppose that you belong to a late / early 80 batch as well.    :)  Your HS fairs in the late 70's were must-go affairs for my girl friends.

You missed my batch by just one year. 1981.

SBC fairs were usually held in January. Most of the school fairs were held in January or February anyway. Me and my friends would do the rounds. CHS, SPCM, SPCQC, Sienna, Maryknoll, Assumption, etc.

Your girl friends? You mean you personally never attended any SBC fair?

Pareng magaling. May mga barkada akong Bedan High School na pumasok sa UP pero mga batch 76 sila. Mga naging blockmates kami tapos pulos tambay pa kami noon sa AS Tulay. We went out last week because dumating yung isa naming barkada galing Sydney.

We had fun reminiscing the good old days. :D

Your girl friends?  You mean you personally never attended any SBC fair?

Much to my regret, I never attended one. But my groupmates went ot 2 fairs because their boyfriends in HS were from SBC. My HS boyfriend was from Ateneo (like most of us Maryknollers, then) and he did not allow me to go.

Like their HS fairs...the Red & White Ball is also a must-attend thing. Bedans really know how to party!!! :D

Pareng magaling. May mga barkada akong Bedan High School na pumasok sa UP pero mga batch 76 sila. Mga naging blockmates kami tapos pulos tambay pa kami noon sa AS Tulay. We went out last week because dumating yung isa naming barkada galing Sydney.

We had fun reminiscing the good old days. :D

I also know some guys from the 76 batch although I doubt if they know me. :unsure: Mostly, older brothers of my batchmates.

Kami din, pag nagkita-kita, parang di maubos ang kwentuhan. And time would fly. Before anyone would realize it, madaling araw na at mahigit 5 oras na pala kaming nagtatawanan... :D

My HS boyfriend was from Ateneo (like most of us Maryknollers, then)

Yes that was so typical then. Partner-partner yan eh. In the same breath that St. Scho girls would have BFs from La Salle kaya tuloy even if St. Scho is a sister-school of SBC, we don't really have a lot of interaction with them.

And SBC, well, it's almost an "expectation" that you would have a GF from CHS. Ang joke nga noon, CHS daw-asawa ng San Beda. La Consolacion-mga querida ng SBC. And CEU-mga yaya ng Beda. (I know that was mean pero joke lang naman. Peace to any LCC and CEU peeps on this thread! )

Back then, Ateneo and La Salle were still exclusive boys schools. I wonder if the relationship between Ateneo and Meriam (sometimes, I still call it Maryknoll believe it or not) has changed now that Ateneo has gone coed?

and he did not allow me to go. 

Natural!!! I'm surprised you even bothered to ask permission. Hehehe.

Pero kami, and I suspect your HS boyfriend too, we still did the rounds anyway. While there was no way in hell my CHS gf could ever go to a La Salle or Ateneo school fair. :evil: Double standards no? :D :D :D

Like their HS fairs...the Red & White Ball is also a must-attend thing.  Bedans really know how to party!!!  :D

Yes! yes! yes!

Magaling, everything you wrote is true (and MEAN :D )

The "partnering" among exclusive girls / boys school remain up to this time. And because of this, parang homogenous na ang circle. The association is mostly based on proximity (and most siblings attend schools nearby ex. Maryknoll ang sisters, while brother go to Ateneo). So since the first social circle is within and among your siblings, nagiging default mode siya - lalo na sa generation na ito, that most parents also attended the same school, as well as their friends) I married an Atenean. My sons go to Ateneo, their close friends are mostly shildren whose parents were also Ateneans and Maryknollers. So the circle just goes on and on...

In the 70's / 80's meron din discrimination - If you attended Maryknoll from Kinder till 4th yr HS like me, you were a MARYKNOLLER, pag HS lang MARYKNOLLER ka rin pero pag college lang KNOLLER ka lang. Same goes for the true-BLUES, GREENS or REDS (ganito pa rin ngayon). Ngayon naman MARYKNOLL and MIRIAM. For some unkown and oftentimes baseless claims, we feel we are above the KNOLLERS and Miriam-MITES. It was an issue among the alumni so know, we refer an homecoming as a MARYKNOLL/MIRIAM COLLEGE affair (but still note the billing).

This discrimination also applies to (based on billing mention), (Then) STC - Manila and QC; St. Pauls Pasig, QC, Manila and Paranaque; St. Scho Manila and Marikina etc. Assumption in the 70's/80's was ONLY San Lo.

I also know some guys from the 76 batch although I doubt if they know me.  :unsure:  Mostly, older brothers of my batchmates.

Kami din, pag nagkita-kita, parang di maubos ang kwentuhan.  And time would fly.  Before anyone would realize it, madaling araw na at mahigit 5 oras na pala kaming nagtatawanan... :D

Bakit nga ba? Kami rin naaalala lahat ng mga gimmicks, typar, syota, etc. Alaskahan kaya panay tawanan. Ganoon din sigurong mga girls gaya nina Augustmoon. :D

Well kung totoong sabi ni Augustmoon ay kawawa palang firstborn ko, hindi makakakuha ng kolehiyala kasi sa UPIS namin pinasok. Pero no regrets naman kasi maraming advantages din yung training sa UP. :thumbsupsmiley:

Maryknoll ang sisters, while brother go to Ateneo). 

Just like all my sisters and female cousins went to CHS. And all the boys went to SBC.

My sons go to Ateneo, their close friends are mostly shildren whose parents were also Ateneans and Maryknollers.  So the circle just goes on and on...

Actually, my son also goes to Ateneo. I wanted to send him to San Beda to keep the tradition (my father and uncles were also Bedans) but with today's traffic, it's out of the question! The tendency is just to send our kids to the closest good school. And then, GS and HS were transferred to Taguig which is just too damn far from where we live... :(

Everytime I have to go to the Ateneo campus, I just can't help but compare it with the one I grew up in. A lot of the traditions are the same. Grade school kids bombarded with school cheers and school songs from the quadrangle PA system each morning before flag raising, etc. At an early age, these kids are taught loyalty.

If your kids are in Ateneo GS, baka nagkikita-kita pala tayo during school affairs????

This discrimination also applies to (based on billing mention),  (Then) STC - Manila and QC; St. Pauls Pasig, QC, Manila and Paranaque;  St. Scho Manila and Marikina etc.  Assumption in the 70's/80's was ONLY San Lo.

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of the SPC Manila-QC-Pasig jokes that went around because I had friends from SPC M and QC. Kawawa SPC Pasig because they are almost always at the losing end of these jokes! Hehehe. :P

Sayang yung STC. During the 70s, it was considered as one of the top exclusive schools for girls. From what I understand and remember, the religious order running the school pulled out (just like in the case of Maryknoll) and the Manila campus was taken over by Adamson. I understand too that there is still STC in QC but no college, just GS and HS yata. :unsure:

Well kung totoong sabi ni Augustmoon ay kawawa palang firstborn ko, hindi makakakuha ng kolehiyala kasi sa UPIS namin pinasok. Pero no regrets naman kasi maraming advantages din yung training sa UP. :thumbsupsmiley:

Di naman siguro pards. Those are not hard and fast rules anyway. Besides, I'm sure UPIS has its own share of hotties anyway and so your kid won't be missing out on anything, if ever. Hehehe :D :D :D

Well kung totoong sabi ni Augustmoon ay kawawa palang firstborn ko, hindi makakakuha ng kolehiyala kasi sa UPIS namin pinasok.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Pards! Isa pa pala...

Bilib din ako sa line of thinking mo. Pati ba naman kung paano makakakuha ng kolehiyala yung anak mo, iniisip mo din? Iba talaga generation natin compared to our parents...Mga kunsintidor yata tayo talaga!!! Hehehe!

I remember, during our time, na shock pa yung nanay ko nang malaman na nanliligaw na pala ako. Tapos, nagagalit pag may nanliligaw sa mga kapatid ko during high school. Ikaw naman, parang gusto mo na i-set up yung anak mo. Hahaha!

:cool:

This is very true. I am in total agreement with the circle of tradition going on for the generations and the manner and degree of alumni recognition.

I have always been Green and so have all the males in my family. Currently, my son is the 4th generation to be proudly Green. It semed it was meant to be as he has Green flowing in his veins. While I went to a Belgian run school in Pasig for the first few years of elementary -- so did every male in my family --but it was Green all the way after that. My son is actually the first one start out Green in elementary. Always been that way...

I can't help but smile as well when I read your post on the degree of discrimination among alumni of elementary, high school and college. How true is is... :D

Regards! :)

Magaling, everything you wrote is true (and MEAN  :D )

The "partnering" among exclusive girls / boys school remain up to this time.  And because of this, parang homogenous na ang circle.  The association is mostly based on proximity (and most siblings attend schools nearby ex.  Maryknoll ang sisters, while brother go to Ateneo).  So since the first social circle is within and among your siblings, nagiging default mode siya - lalo na sa generation na ito, that most parents also attended the same school, as well as their friends) I married an Atenean.  My sons go to Ateneo, their close friends are mostly shildren whose parents were also Ateneans and Maryknollers.  So the circle just goes on and on...

In the 70's / 80's  meron din discrimination - If you attended Maryknoll from Kinder till 4th yr HS like me, you were a MARYKNOLLER, pag HS lang MARYKNOLLER ka rin pero pag college lang KNOLLER ka lang.  Same goes for the true-BLUES, GREENS or REDS (ganito pa rin ngayon).  Ngayon naman MARYKNOLL and MIRIAM.  For some unkown and oftentimes baseless claims, we feel we are above the KNOLLERS and Miriam-MITES.  It was an issue among the alumni so know, we refer an homecoming as a MARYKNOLL/MIRIAM COLLEGE affair (but still note the billing).

This discrimination also applies to (based on billing mention),  (Then) STC - Manila and QC; St. Pauls Pasig, QC, Manila and Paranaque;  St. Scho Manila and Marikina etc.   Assumption in the 70's/80's was ONLY San Lo.

Edited by 16track
If your kids are in Ateneo GS, baka nagkikita-kita pala tayo during school affairs????

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of the SPC Manila-QC-Pasig jokes that went around because I had friends from SPC M and QC.  Kawawa SPC Pasig because they are almost always at the losing end of these jokes! Hehehe.  :P

:D :D :D My wife came from SPC M and she doesn't know about those jokes. All I know is that SPC M has no grade school according to my wife, there's grade 7 in SPC Pasig and no Grade 7 in SPC Pque.

Di naman siguro pards.  Those are not hard and fast rules anyway.  Besides, I'm sure UPIS has its own share of hotties anyway and so your kid won't be missing out on anything, if ever.  Hehehe :D  :D  :D

That's the problem. No kolehiyala type hotties in UPIS. Wala kaming makitang mga kasing gaganda ng nasa Mirriam or Poveda. Tapos hindi type ni Mokong yung mga mga maaarteng kiliging girls. Well hindi siya makakarami. :(

Pards!  Isa pa pala...

Bilib din ako sa line of thinking mo.  Pati ba naman kung paano makakakuha ng kolehiyala yung anak mo, iniisip mo din?  Iba talaga generation natin compared to our parents...Mga kunsintidor yata tayo talaga!!! Hehehe!

I remember, during our time, na shock pa yung nanay ko nang malaman na nanliligaw na pala ako.  Tapos, nagagalit pag may nanliligaw sa mga kapatid ko during high school.  Ikaw naman, parang gusto mo na i-set up yung anak mo.  Hahaha!

:cool:

Hindi naman. Pinaiiwasan nga namin sa kanya yung mga neighborhood hotties na kiligin. Mag-aral ka muna. Maraming girls. Huwag kang magmadali. Tsaka mas mahilig pa sa pag-aaral, basketball at video games si Mokong. Nasa top 5 siya sa UPIS since Grade 7 and running for no.1 this year. Pero hindi siya mukhang nerd, lamang ng at least isang paligo sa akin ang hitsura. :D

This is very true. I am in total agreement with the circle of tradition going on for the generations and the manner and degree of alumni recognition.

I have always been Green and so have all the males in my family. Currently, my son is the 4th generation to be proudly Green. It semed it was meant to be as he has Green flowing in his veins. While I went to a Belgian run school in Pasig for the first few years of  elementary -- so did every male in my family --but  it was Green all the way after that. My son is actually the first one start out Green in elementary. Always been that way...

I can't help but smile as well when I read your post on the degree of discrimination among alumni of elementary, high school and college.  How true is is... :D

Regards! :)

Yeah I agree with you pero now hindi ko na pinapansin iyan. Nung nasa College ako, yes.

Welcome back pare!

Ako naman, I made it clear to my kids that they have to attend college at UP. No ifs or buts about it. My brothers and my sister attended UP; my sister didn't graduate, while one of my brothers got his degree from a school abroad. But we all went to UP.

As for hotties from UPIS, I knew quite a number of them back in college when UPIS was still known as UP High. They entered UP looking very simple. They left UP looking very sophisticated. One of them was Ces Oreña Drillon, who was in my BS.BAA freshman block.

Everytime I have to go to the Ateneo campus, I just can't help but compare it with the one I grew up in.  A lot of the traditions are the same.  Grade school kids bombarded with school cheers and school songs from the quadrangle PA system each morning before flag raising, etc.  At an early age, these kids are taught loyalty.

Do they still call each other "pal"?

Ako naman, I made it clear to my kids that they have to attend college at UP.  No ifs or buts about it.  My brothers and my sister attended UP; my sister didn't graduate, while one of my brothers got his degree from a school abroad.  But we all went to UP.

As for hotties from UPIS, I knew quite a number of them back in college when UPIS was still known as UP High.  They entered UP looking very simple.  They left UP looking very sophisticated.  One of them was Ces Oreña Drillon, who was in my BS.BAA freshman block.

Same here Pare UP lang din.

Well, Ces Oreña Drilon was supposed to be the opening speaker in the UPIS Recognition Day in 2004. She came in fashionably late. Made a lousy speech. Nice dress and shoes though. :P

Ako naman, I made it clear to my kids that they have to attend college at UP.  No ifs or buts about it.  My brothers and my sister attended UP; my sister didn't graduate, while one of my brothers got his degree from a school abroad.  But we all went to UP.

My wife is a UP grad and she also hopes our son would go to UP in college just like her and her siblings. Ako naman, I have no problem with that although, if we could afford it by that time, I also wish we could send him to school abroad either for undergrad or post-grad. Sana. But that's a long time from now...who knows? :unsure:

Hindi naman. Pinaiiwasan nga namin sa kanya yung mga neighborhood hotties na kiligin. Mag-aral ka muna. Maraming girls. Huwag kang magmadali. Tsaka mas mahilig pa sa pag-aaral, basketball at video games si Mokong.

Well, actually ganyan din naman ako sa mga pamangkin kong teenagers na. Syempre, mauuna yung pangangaral. Although behind their backs, pag mag nababalitaan akong mga kapilyuhan, napapangiti at napapailing na lang ako. Hehehe... :D

Hindi naman. Pinaiiwasan nga namin sa kanya yung mga neighborhood hotties na kiligin. Mag-aral ka muna. Maraming girls. Huwag kang magmadali. Tsaka mas mahilig pa sa pag-aaral, basketball at video games si Mokong. Nasa top 5 siya sa UPIS since Grade 7 and running for no.1 this year. Pero hindi siya mukhang nerd, lamang ng at least isang paligo sa akin ang hitsura. :D

Hi Pareng Storm! And hello to everyone too!

That was spoken like a true parent!

It's amazing how we sound like our parents now!! When i look back i realize that every single advice/pangaral/sermon they said (well, almost everything) was true.

Tama ka, wag na munang ma-involve sa girls at an early age. Panggulo sa buhay yan. It's good mahilig siya mag-aral, that shows you, as the parent, helped him develop good study habits. Congratulations! And it's such a great feeling when your kid excels in school, it makes you feel so proud!

:thumbsupsmiley:

I didnt mean that if you didnt go to an exclusive school that you were at a disadvantage. It is your personal choice where to put your children. Your children if they are good will thrive in any school. It is just that as parents we want to give the best, and since we are happy with the education we got, (as in the case, MC and ADMU although we went to UP too) we work hard to give them the same. UPIS is a good choice, given our access, that would have been a good choice for us too.

My statement was not a generalization although in my breadth of experience, that seems to be the case. Not of discrimination, but maybe because of our limited exposure. Being a child of the 70's / 80's you know what i am talking about (limited socials - though this may not apply to you :D , limited circle and overprotective parents).