Back To The 70's

Nice one pareng Bods. Was the Sergio Mendez show a success, too?

It should have been. Magaganda ang mga kanta ng Sergio Mendez and I think they are at par with the Spiral Staircase or The Platters in terms of nostalgia value....

You made my day with this one.  :D

thanks, pare! You know, they're quite old now. I keep imagining this scenario wherein the artists are shooting the breeze in some nursing home and they would see Steve O' Neal coming and they would groan: "Uh-oh, here comes that Manila promoter again, sheessh!" :D

I think the problem will be what would be considered a super act.  Professional wrestling, for some reason, stretches across generations.  Music, well, not quite. For instance, people our age would consider the Rolling Stones a super act.  I doubt, however, if my daughters would.  I would consider Sergio Mendez a super act, especially with female vocals.  On the other hand, I don't think my daughters even know such Sergio Mendez classics as "Like a Lover" and "Pretty World."

well I would consider huge acts as those that are huge at the moment, or enjoying enormous popularity now. So they take advantage of this and try to command extravagant appearance fees.

I am wondering why in the past they were able to bring in the Beatles at the height of their popularity, or relatively recently, Sting (whom I saw in 1989 - he was at the peak then) or Phil Collins before, and before them, Eric Clapton or Metallica. Medyo kasikatan nila nun when they were here. Nowadays all we see are the oldies - which is not bad per se, but how we long for the Stones or U2 or such pop acts as Britney or Madonna.

I would disagree with music not stretching across generations. The current fave of my kids is would you believe, the Beatles :D I can't explain it. It started when they got to see the Yellow Submarine DVD which I bought for my viewing and from then on there was no stopping them. I had to scrounge around for the Beatles anthology or any Beatles CD I could find so as not for them to lose the momentum of the moment. :D There must be something magical about Beatles music that my kids would love - music that is almost 40 years old! This is just an example of course but I think music, if it is good, has a way of reaching out to anybody - be they oldies like us, or youngsters....

To digress, ang mahal pala ng mga vintage Beatles LP's. I saw their Help album, made in Japan, and it goes for a thousand bucks :wacko: Even the local LPs go for P500....

I would disagree with music not stretching across generations. The current fave of my kids is would you believe, the Beatles :D  I can't explain it. It started when they got to see the Yellow Submarine DVD which I bought for my viewing and from then on there was no stopping them. I had to scrounge around for the Beatles anthology or any Beatles CD I could find so as not for them to lose the momentum of the moment. :D There must be something magical about Beatles music that my kids would love - music that is almost 40 years old! This is just an example of course but I think music, if it is good, has a way of reaching out to anybody - be they oldies like us, or youngsters....

Not to mention that recently, there seems to be a trend towards remakes....

You know, I used to frown on this. I felt that it's a sign that there no longer are as many good composers out there today and so artists have to make do with rehashing old songs. (Back in the 70s, what separated the good lounge acts from the stars was the latter's ability to churn original hits. Nowadays, even top Pinoy acts routinely release albums where almost all the songs are remakes. Think MYMP, U-turn, etc.).

A few weeks back, we had a videoke party with my nephews. They were singing their songs which are totally unknown to us "elders". And we were singing songs that they probably think of as passe. Finally, someone thought of singing songs that had been remade...and then, we had a party! The generation gap was bridged. May silbi rin naman pala ang mga remakes na yan. Hehehe! :)