Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

Hi Guys, i'm trying to use Windows 98 SE Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on my pc's. But the problem is, I was always getting disconnected from my ISP after 5 to 10 minutes. I followed all the instructions regarding how to install the ICS on the server and workstations. I want to use my webcam for Yahoo Messenger on my workstations and I could not use it if I only use a proxy server i.e. Wingate on my server. I'm not familiar with the ICS and would appreciate very much your help. Many Thanks.

tried ICS on win98 b4... never worked well tho... mine connects for a few mins then after that it stops. i never experienced being disconnected from my isp tho...

when connected via proxy server, webcam features doesnt really work. even if tcp ports 5050, 5100-5300 is enabled and open. you can find the document at:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/webcams...webcams-13.html

bmikey69 Posted on Feb 28 2003, 01:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys, i'm trying to use Windows 98 SE Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on my pc's. But the problem is, I was always getting disconnected from my ISP after 5 to 10 minutes. I followed all the instructions regarding how to install the ICS on the server and workstations. I want to use my webcam for Yahoo Messenger on my workstations and I could not use it if I only use a proxy server i.e. Wingate on my server. I'm not familiar with the ICS and would appreciate very much your help. Many Thanks

i used to have an internet cafe way back year 2000...did not encounter any problem with the win98SE ICS...

IPR questions naman...

Company A started in Country 1.

Then they established a company here. Same name. So instead of Company A, Country 1 it's Company A, Philippines.

A group of developers was employed as regulars. They created a proprietary software for the company. This software was not new in terms of its functionality. But the "process" this software employed was. Much of the concept of the design was done by the developers, although there were inputs from one of the "boss-men".

Company A, Philippines filed for bankruptcy. I don't know if Company A, Country 1 did the same or if it just ceased operations.

The question is, "Can this group of developers re-create the said software for their own benefit and profit without violating any IPR law?"

They will not use the old source code but develop it again from scratch, based on the knowledge they have about it.

:blink: Hmmm, IPR? Medyo mahirap to cause it's a special law and there is not much regulation on computer softwares available. What I do know is that for you to violate the Intellectual Property Law, you must have used the same patent or copywrite that is being protected. The first question would thus be; is the program copywrited in the first place (if not then there is no IPR to violate)? Second would the new software being re-created of the same process as the one developed by Company A, Philippines? Because if the new software also uses a different process and design, even if the functionality is the same, the new software could not be considered to be an infringement of the copywrite of the old software. Like all intellectual creations, unless there is a clear cut evidence of copying or immitating the specific item created, there is really very little that can be established to say there was infringement. The other lawyers who specialize in this might correct me as I am just giving a general opinion on the matter. :blush:

Question po:

What's the best Windows OS should one use if he uses the computer more on Internet/chatting/downloading/burning/gaming?

Thanks!

windows xp.

i agree to that... just keep your copy updated all the time to patch all those bugs and problems thats being encountered. burning CD/DVD writing is also made easier with the Roxio Burning Software. also easier to burn cd audio directly from mediaplayer.

just dont attach old devices that are not already supported by XP otherwise it will drag your machine slower. lucky if it works anyway.

Win XP is best for gaming, burning and internet as long as all the programs and games you run are compatible with it. winXP has a built-in CD burning software, juddt drag and drop the files you want to create, or mp3 you want to convert to Audio CD.

About the frequent disconnection with an ISP, remove the checkmark for DISCONNECT IF IDLE for ___ minutes. i think its in the properties of your dial-up connection...

Another reason for dropped connection is if there is so much line noise in your connection that the modem has a hard time rebuilding the packets sent. In such cases, you could try lowering the connection speed of your modem to something like 33.6kbps. Or you might also want to remove extension lines, disable call-waiting or have your telephone line checked or replaces by your telco company.

just helping out..

br,

Da Klez

galing mo talaga darklesse... B)

meron ka pang conclusion dun sa thread mo ha! ;)

btw, who can lend me a copy of windows XP? :rolleyes:

have not really tried the OS so might as well install one at home or office?

any problems with the system requirement that i may encounter?

my existing OS is either win98 SE or win2k advance server... B)

Edited by hubsnswitches
Question po:

What's the best Windows OS should one use if he uses the computer more on Internet/chatting/downloading/burning/gaming?

Thanks!

windows xp.

i agree to that... just keep your copy updated all the time to patch all those bugs and problems thats being encountered. burning CD/DVD writing is also made easier with the Roxio Burning Software. also easier to burn cd audio directly from mediaplayer.

just dont attach old devices that are not already supported by XP otherwise it will drag your machine slower. lucky if it works anyway.

better yet, install the service pack of XP (i have a copy on CD, you might want a copy, just give me a blank CD)

but if your copy of XP is one of the pirated ones (serial FCKGW-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) it would be better if you dont apply the service pack, or else you will just end up reformatting your system. Lets face it, Mircrosoft wants to eliminate piracy.

:blush:

tried ICS on win98 b4... never worked well tho... mine connects for a few mins then after that it stops. i never experienced being disconnected from my isp tho...

when connected via proxy server, webcam features doesnt really work. even if tcp ports 5050, 5100-5300 is enabled and open. you can find the document at:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/webcams...webcams-13.html

well i guess i have to stick to using Wingate, i never get disconnected when i use Wingate. Thanks a lot for the info.

hubsnswitches and daklesse thanks for your help.

well i guess i have to stick to using Wingate, i never get disconnected when i use Wingate. Thanks a lot for the info.

hubsnswitches and daklesse thanks for your help.

wingate is cool... the new version 5+ has new pretty features and plug-ins like firewall, gatefilter, antivirus and mail server...

i use this in the office and at home. never turned me down. :D

:blink: Hmmm, IPR? Medyo mahirap to cause it's a special law and there is not much regulation on computer softwares available. What I do know is that for you to violate the Intellectual Property Law, you must have used the same patent or copywrite that is being protected. The first question would thus be; is the program copywrited in the first place (if not then there is no IPR to violate)? Second would the new software being re-created of the same process as the one developed by Company A, Philippines? Because if the new software also uses a different process and design, even if the functionality is the same, the new software could not be considered to be an infringement of the copywrite of the old software. Like all intellectual creations, unless there is a clear cut evidence of copying or immitating the specific item created, there is really very little that can be established to say there was infringement. The other lawyers who specialize in this might correct me as I am just giving a general opinion on the matter. :blush:

thanks freelicker.

so the key here is kailangang may patent or copywrite?

sabagay ano nga ba ang violation kung wala namang patent or copywrite.... teka copywrite ba o copyright??? alam ko e copyright... pareho ba yan?

i have no programming background, just some books that I only opened 20% of it and read 2% (hehehehe)

about networking and Internet, I have books on TCP/IP (IPV4) Proxy server 2, NT4 server administrator Guide, Win98 Resource Kit, Win95 Resource Kit, Win NT server Enterprise resource Kit, Self-paced Training for WinNT 4, IIS Admin Guide. and some Lan and UNIX books.

oh by the way.. i landed on this job coz computer is my hobby, (not my course)

HubsnSwitches, since you are self-studying for Cisco networks, you might want to borrow my TCP/IP book (and then pahiraman mo din ako book mo)

da' Klez

Edited by daklesse
Question po:

Thanks!

windows xp.

better yet, install the service pack of XP (i have a copy on CD, you might want a copy, just give me a blank CD)

but if your copy of XP is one of the pirated ones (serial FCKGW-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) it would be better if you dont apply the service pack, or else you will just end up reformatting your system. Lets face it, Mircrosoft wants to eliminate piracy.

:blush:

u can stil install sp1 of winxp even if u used a FCKGW-xxxx serial during installation.

follow the steps in here to install the service pack in winxp

you can view the list of winxp sp1 fixes here > winxp sp1 fixes

Edited by lospeed01

Ah! Lagot! I think my serial is like that but I can't remember! How can I check? I lost my installation CD! What if they're reformatting na?! I always download Auto-Updates pa naman!

Just wanna add this narin.

I'm having trouble with this freaking error.

Whenever I play Counter-Strike online, I get this error after around 15 to 20 minutes. Do you guys know the solution?

I've tried changing my Detonator Driver, Reinstall HL and CS, but I think it even got worst.

"Microsoft Visual Runtime C++ Library (or something like that)

(C:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe)

abnormal program termination"

OK

I'm really getting pissed of by this. Please I need help!

just want to ask ? sino-sino ang programmer dito sa computer thread?

maybe we can share programming knowledge in this thread?

like if some one wants to know other programming language. maybe you share websites.

it would be nice to have a forum for that.

been doing massive programming before i become consultant... was also a programming consultant for one company in phoenix, usa operating here in the phils.

did several robotics programs and artificial intelligence as well, mostly for research and been teaching new recruits and new grads some important programming algorithms mostly applied for business systems.

Ah! Lagot! I think my serial is like that but I can't remember! How can I check? I lost my installation CD! What if they're reformatting na?! I always download Auto-Updates pa naman!

Just wanna add this narin.

I'm having trouble with this freaking error.

Whenever I play Counter-Strike online, I get this error after around 15 to 20 minutes. Do you guys know the solution?

I've tried changing my Detonator Driver, Reinstall HL and CS, but I think it even got worst.

"Microsoft Visual Runtime C++ Library (or something like that)

(C:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe)

abnormal program termination"

OK

I'm really getting pissed of by this. Please I need help!

you can check the product key of your windows using your registry editor.

locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

look for the item Product Key

i have to verify on windows XP if they have the same location. i dont really use this version of windows

Guest templar

If I read your query correctly, the developers plan to "re-create" the software from scratch....American case law on software piracy (which is accorded persuasive force in Philippine jurisprudence) is replete with authorities that "re-creating", or replicating, is infringement...this is why software developers' contracts normally contain a "non-competition clause" in their contracts to protect the capitalist......and why Bill Gates still refuses to open the source code for Windows.....

Word of advice - CAUTION. Exercise more diligence.....check the patent/copyright registration....then confirm from the developers' group that there has been no prior public use of the software at least in the Philippines....intellectual property right protection is not necessarily dependent on patent/copyright registration alone as it can be and is similarly protected under our Civil Code and other laws...

I would hate to see your friends develop a landmark software and successfully market it, only to get hit later with an infringement suit.....they may not be sued now when there's nothing to run after, but may be sued later when they're rich and famous....so, as early as now, suggest that they put everything in order and beyond question.....

Just my 2 cents worth....