Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

to the techies out there..

dudes,, the pc i've been using shuts itself down when i'm  connectd to the internet... im on windows 98 by the way...  biglang mawawala ang display sa monitor pero naka-connect pa rin naman sa internet... (i checked the phone)

what could be causing the problem? hardware issue o virus/worm ba ito?

naka pc-cillin 2002 naman ako...

napipilitan tuloy ako na i-reset ang pc ko...imagine the hassle that i'd have to go through to re-conect... :angry:

to anybody who can tell me what's wrong...just pm me!

thanks

if it only happens when u go on-line, its probably bl@ster_worm/lovesan. Try this: before u connect to the net, adjust ur PC clock 2 hours ahead/advance and set the date a day ahead.

ex: the actual time is 10am, July 25. Set it to 12pm July 26

u can also try to get fixblast from trend-micro.

kpag ok na pc mo after adjusting the time and date, virus nga problema mo.

otherwise, hardware problem na cguro.

Edited by marc_7

TeeUp,

I intentionally worded my answer in order to evade this question. :cry: No such luck! Hahahahahaha :unsure:

Anyway, I will answer the second question first.

An accused who was convicted for reckless imprudence, the highest penalty being prision correctional which is 6months and 1 day to 6 years (I think, correct me if I’m wrong), by the trial court and, instead of availing probation, filed an appeal to the Court of Appeals which affirmed the ruling of the lower court in convicting and sentencing the accused for reckless imprudence can no longer apply for probation.

In the case of Francisco vs. CA, GR 108747, April 6, 1995, the accused was convicted and sentenced by the Metropolitan Trial Court (MeTC) to a prison term of 1 year and 1 day to 1 year and eight months. Not satisfied with the ruling, the accused appealed the case to the Regional Trial Court (RTC). The RTC affirmed the judgment of the MeTC but appreciated a mitigating circumstance in favor of the accused. (note that the accused was qualified for probation before he appealed to the RTC)

The accused then applied for probation. RTC and Court of Appeals (CA) both denied the application. Hence, the case elevated to the Supreme Court (SC).

The SC, in denying the application for probation, held that:

Probation is a special privilege granted by the state to a penitent qualified offender, it essentially rejects appeals and encourages an otherwise eligible convict to immediately admit his liability and save the state of time, effort and expenses to jettison an appeal. The law requires that an accused must not have appealed his conviction before he can avail of probation. This outlaws the element of speculation on the part of the accused - - to wager on the result of his appeal - - that when his conviction is finally affirmed on appeal, the moment of truth well-nigh at hand, and the service of his sentence inevitable, he now applies for probation as an “escape hatch” thus rendering nugatory the appellate court’s affirmance of his conviction. Consequently, probation should be availed by convicts who are willing to be reformed and rehabilitated, who manifests spontaneity, contrition and remorse.

x x x

Probation is a mere privilege, not a right.

:blush:

Back to your sample question, the accused was then qualified for probation when the RTC convicted him for reckless imprudence. But instead of availing for the privilege of probation (first available opportunity), he opted to appeal. Now that the CA affirmed the decision of the RTC, the accused now wants to apply for probation. Sadly he already forfeited his chance to do so.

The argument of the accused therefore, in the light of the above ruling, would be untenable. (It would be a Win-Win situation for any convict if the Supreme Court ruled otherwise) My short answer therefore would be “NO”.

:sick:

As for the first question, the matter has already been somewhat dealt with by the Supreme Court in Francisco vs. CA, GR 108747, April 6, 1995 and Lagrosa vs. People, GR. 152044, July 3, 2003.

One of the arguments raised by the accused in the Francisco case (facts already given) was that “he has not yet lost his right to avail of probation notwithstanding his appeal from the MeTC and RTC since the reason for his appeal was precisely to enable him to avail of probation.

The majority of the Justices of the SC En Banc, in dismissing petitioner’s argument, held that: (Mendoza and Vitug dissenting)

That an appeal should not bar the accused from applying for probation if the appeal is taken solely to reduce the penalty is simply contrary to the clear and express mandate of Sec.4 of the Probation Law, as amended, which opens with a negative clause.

Sec.4 provides:

“NO application for probation SHALL be entertained or granted if the defendant has perfected an appeal from the judgment of conviction.”

Under the rule of statutory construction, negative words and phrases are to be regarded as mandatory while those in the affirmative are merely directory…. the term “shall” further emphasizes its mandatory character and means that it is imperative, operating to impose a duty which may be enforced.

:boo:

Also, in a 2003 case of Lagrosa vs. People, GR. 152044, July 3, 2003, in where a decision was rendered against the accused when the RTC sentenced him to imprisonment of 2 years, 4 months and 1 day to 8 years. (He therefore was not qualified for probation). He appealed his case to the CA arguing that a) he was innocent and B) even if he's not innocent, the penalty imposed was improper. CA affirmed the decision but reduced the penalty to 6 months and 1 day to 1 year, 8 months and 21 days (well within the probation requirement). Accused then applied for probation in the RTC. RTC, CA and even the SC denied the application.

Accused argued before the SC (first division) that he should be allowed to apply for probation even if he had already appealed the decision of the trial court because he only became eligible for probation after the CA modified the judgment of the trial court.

The SC, in denying the application for probation, held that:

There is no question that petitioner appealed from the decision of the trial court. This fact alone merits the denial of petitioners’ Application for Probation. Having appealed from the judgment of the trial court and having applied for probation only after the Court of Appeals had affirmed their conviction, petitioner were clearly precluded from the benefits of probation.

x x x

(The SC further said that)

Although it has been suggested (by Mendoza and Vitug in the Francisco case) that an appeal should not bar the accused from applying for probation if the appeal is solely to reduce the penalty to within the probationable limit may be equitable, we are not yet prepared to accept this proposition, specially given the factual circumstances of this case. Had the petitioners’ appeal from the decision of the trial court raised the impropriety of the penalty imposed upon them as the sole issue, perhaps this Court would have been more sympathetic to their plight. Unfortunately, their misrepresentation has led to their own undoing.

(Personally, I don’t like this ruling) :angry:

To answer your first question, in lieu of this 2003 case my answer would be in the negative.

:upside:

Whew! P.S. Don’t have the time to edit this in layman’s terms so bear with me. Dnt even have the time to edit period. :cool:

how do i configure/run my sendmail package in my redhat 9.0 box...

my web server is up and running and works quite well...

I just wanted to have my own email addy...

btw,

port 25 is disabled by default by my subscriber..

I'm planing to use port 2001 for that...

any of u guys can help..?

The best way to setup your mail server - sendmail under Redhat Linux 9.0 is to configure it automatically... Use webmin to do the job.

http://www.webmin.com/

Good Luck! :)

hi techies!!!

eto ko ulit, may inquiry. walang display ang monitor ko, pero may power. ok naman ang CPU, bagong palit nga ng motherboard eh. hindi naman nasira or na-damage ang monitor ko eh eversince, kaya nagulat ako ng ayaw nya na gumana. btw, ngayon ko lang ulit sana gagamitin PC ko kse nga pinagawa namin sa supplier yung CPU kse nga nabasa at tinamaan ang board. ano kaya ang problema? may compatibility issues ba ang monitor ska motherboard? ang alam ko, dapat kse wala. ECS nga pala board kp, version 2.4 something ata...

ayoko na dalhin sana sa supplier or sa tech, kse tatagal na naman kaya nagtatanong ako sa inyo...

thanks!

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the following possibilities.

1. Connections not connected properly.

2. Monitor settings are not correct.

3. No Post.

4. Hardware issue.

Connections not connected properly:

Ensure that you are connecting the monitor to the back of the computer in the 15 pin (illustrated below) or older computer 9 pin connection .

If the computer is properly plugged in ensure that the computer monitor is getting power.

If you are not receiving power from a known working wall outlet if the power cord is removable replace it with the one connected to the computer and attempt to power on the monitor again. If the monitor still does not get power or it is not removable it is recommended that the monitor be replaced or serviced at a local TV / Computer repair shop.

If the monitor is receiving power check the status light.

If the light is orange or flashing ensure that the monitor is not in a suspend mode by moving the mouse or touching the keyboard. If the computer does not get a display by moving the mouse or touching the keyboard turn off the computer and monitor and reconnect the data cable from the back of the computer and if removable the back of the monitor. Turn the computer back on, if you still encounter the same issue continue reading through the other possibilities.

Monitor settings are not correct:

Ensure that the brightness and contrast is turned up or attempt to adjust the brightness and contrast, if adjusting the brightness or contrast has no affect on the monitor continue reading through the other possibilities.

No Post:

Does the computer beep, when it is powered on and or does it appear that the computer has activity. If the computer does not beep or beeps abnormally it is possible that the computer itself is experiencing a hardware issue or is exhibiting a No Post.

Know your Beep code in resolving a No Post and or continue reading through the other possibilities.

Hardware Issue:

If you have followed the above recommendations and are still encountering the same issue it is likely that the computer may have either a bad video card or monitor. The best method of determining this is to do one or both of the following:

Disconnect your monitor and attempt to connect it to another computer. This can be a friend or families computer and or it can be taken to a service center.

Borrow a computer monitor and connect it to your computer. This will not harm the other computer monitor in any way.

If your monitor works on another computer it is safe to assume that the video card within the computer is bad.

If another monitor works on your computer it is safe to assume that your monitor is bad.

Hope this will help. Good Luck! :)

to the techies out there..

dudes,, the pc i've been using shuts itself down when i'm connectd to the internet... im on windows 98 by the way... biglang mawawala ang display sa monitor pero naka-connect pa rin naman sa internet... (i checked the phone)

what could be causing the problem? hardware issue o virus/worm ba ito?

naka pc-cillin 2002 naman ako...

napipilitan tuloy ako na i-reset ang pc ko...imagine the hassle that i'd have to go through to re-conect... :angry:

to anybody who can tell me what's wrong...just pm me!

thanks

Viruses can be a source of this problem... Also check your CPU, see if there is a enough ventilation especially on the processor side.

Good Luck! :)

check your user account if you're included in the administator group. but judging by the message you posted, you may not have an admin account. try booting up in safe mode you can login using the default admin account. add mo nalang user account mo sa administrators group.

Question ...

Meron akong modem sa pc ko na working naman sya on a windows 98. For some reason eh nag-install ng Windows 2000 yung pinsan ko and hindi na nagwork yung modem. I decided to switch back to windows 98 kasi wala akong makuhang driver, but the problem is kahit sa windows 98 eh hindi na madetect yung modem. What seems to be the problem ?

bro teeup,

remember my query about citibank and my bro's dilemna? well, to update you, he was given by a collecting agency a letter asking him to pay or they will file the case in court na...

if you permit, can i have your email add and i will send you the letter and get your opinion on this, i scanned the letter with offer of payments (3 options)

if its ok, please pm me na lang your email... thanks

peace

Question ...

Meron akong modem sa pc ko na working naman sya on a windows 98. For some reason eh nag-install ng Windows 2000 yung pinsan ko and hindi na nagwork yung modem. I decided to switch back to windows 98 kasi wala akong makuhang driver, but the problem is kahit sa windows 98 eh hindi na madetect yung modem. What seems to be the problem ?

the modem? :D

seriously, baka me tama na modem mo. sure way to check it is to try on another machine.

Question ...

Internal modem or external modem? Anyways...

Installing an internal modem in Windows 98 can be more grief than it’s worth, but we know the solution to your problem. The reason your modem won’t have been detected is because it requires a ‘virtual’ COM port, either port three or four, and these aren’t installed by default.

To do this manually, launch the Add New Hardware wizard from the Control Panel. Click Next twice, the wizard will look for – and not find – new hardware on your PC. Now select No, I want to select the hardware from a list and click Next again. Choose Ports (COM & LPT), click Next and make sure Communications Port is selected. Click Next and accept the default settings. Click Next and shut down and restart when prompted.

Once Windows has rebooted, open Device Manager to verify COM port three has been added successfully, then repeat for COM port four. Once this has been added, shut down and physically install your modem if it hasn’t been already. Windows will automatically detect it on reboot – if not, add it using the Modems Control Panel. If it still doesn’t automatically detect it, add it manually to either COM port three or four. We’re assuming you have the drivers for it – if not, you’ll need to perform a search for your chipset.

Hope this will help. Good luck! :)

hope some1 can help me wid this:

We have several clone pc's with intel celeron as processors. Bot it during the PII era. Dont know hu's d manufacturer of the motherboard. It uses SDRAM PC-100.

Some of the SDRAM's are malfunctiong and affecting the performance of the CPU. Really wnt to buy replacement but PC-100's are hard to find these days. Found a store that sells brand new SDRAM PC-133's but I'm not sure if its gonna be compatible wid d system/motherboard. How will I know if the motherboard supports SDRAM PC-133 or not?

tanong ko lang kung kailangan pa bang mag-reinstall ng windows kapag nagpalit ka ng motherboard?

Yep! you need to reformat and re-install windows when changing motherboards, except if your installing a mobo that is exactly the same with what you are replacing. I used to have an asus p4p800 with intel 865pe chipset but after a couple of weeks it crashed, found out that the mobo is damaged so i decided to get it replaced with an msi 865peneo, I didnt have to reinstall windows because the two mobo has identical chipset however after tinkering aroud for several hours weird things were happening with my pc, found out that there were conflicting drivers, to avoid the hassle i reformatted the darn thing then i took my windows cd and reinstalled it. I could have tracked down what was wrong with it but i guess it would be more time consuming to do so...by doing a clean install i guess i have saved time.