Laptop/Notebook Owners

they have the 8800m gtx and the 8800m gts...both from alienware

toshiba has 8700m gt ----x200 series

asus m51 has the newer 9x00 series...i think its the 9500..

8800m gtx sli is also available....

gateway has the cheapest 8800m gts its only 1700USD from best buy

sager has 8800m gts and gtx based laptops too

reasons i don't like gaming laptops:

1. too big and heavy

2. eats battery life

3. screen is too small

4. not upgradeable

current laptop: dell d620 - cheap p-o-s ...heavy as hell...but i like the mag alloy casing..

Thanks. When I saw a MSI laptop with 8600gt built-in a few days ago (@P89,900), I began wondering if there is a model that allows you to play Crysis in high setting.

Another laptop that caught my fancy:

Redfox Duranote - shockproof & waterproof, any feedback on this unit? Thanks.

Dudes sorry kung medyo OT ha, pero if you're considering buying a laptop and you have access overseas,

sa Kuala Lumpur kayo bumili. Have a colleague who got a Sony Vaio there for the equivalent of P 60K,

pero nung tiningnan niya dito the price was P 199,000.

Di ko lang maalala exact model, but from memory , intel core duo processor, 1GB RAM, 120/160 GB HDD, etc.,

puwede na, plus he's a web designer so he chose a model which would easily accomodate resource hogging software

like Corel and InDesign. Happy naman siya sa nabili niya. The price difference is really striking.

Cheers!

hi sa mga expert d2..ask ko lang po yung views nio sa apple macbook pr...yung thinnest notebook ngaun?will u spend US $1,700 +++ just to have the notebook?thinnest nga wla namn kalaman laman yung laptop nila?what do u think?

also w/c do u prefer macbook i pro or this one?

XPS 1530

Beautiful Balance

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (2MB cache/1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition

Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

8X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write and capability

ill upgrade processor to 2.2 gigahertz and RAM to 3 or 4 gig and lcd to 1680 by 1050 and 2mp camera

w/c would u choose?sna may mag reply...

pag inapgrade mo ksi halos panty lang sila ng price ng apple mcbook?

sna may mag reply...

hi sa mga expert d2..ask ko lang po yung views nio sa apple macbook pr...yung thinnest notebook ngaun?will u spend US $1,700 +++ just to have the notebook?thinnest nga wla namn kalaman laman yung laptop nila?what do u think?

XPS 1530

Beautiful Balance

ill upgrade processor to 2.2 gigahertz and RAM to 3 or 4 gig and lcd to 1680 by 1050 and 2mp camera

sna may mag reply...

XPS 1530

Beautiful Balance

sna may mag reply... gift ko sa misis ko!

Dudes sorry kung medyo OT ha, pero if you're considering buying a laptop and you have access overseas,

sa Kuala Lumpur kayo bumili. Have a colleague who got a Sony Vaio there for the equivalent of P 60K,

Di ko lang maalala exact model, but from memory , intel core duo processor, 1GB RAM, 120/160 GB HDD, etc.,

puwede na, plus he's a web designer so he chose a model which would easily accomodate resource hogging software

like Corel and InDesign. Happy naman siya sa nabili niya. The price difference is really striking.

Cheers!

laptop here in the philippines are way overprice, its better to buy your laptop abroad, since most of us have relatives in the u.s. mas malaki matitipid mo.

a laptop that cost $500 to $600 in the u.s. will cost you 3x the price here.

Guest lustfortravel

XPS 1530

Beautiful Balance

sna may mag reply... gift ko sa misis ko!

why don't you go to the mac thread if you want to know more about mac laptops. i used to own acer, asus, ecs laptops before, all running on windows but when i bought my macbook , i totally loved it, learned the o/s ( and had boom upgrade it to leopard :thumbsupsmiley: ) and never looked back. i'm never going back to windows again, with all those headaches on viruses. then again, i'm biased towards mac .

boomouse is the person to ask if you want to really know which is better based on your specifications; he would be able to decipher all the technical stuff. better send him a pm.

Edited by lustfortravel
Thanks. When I saw a MSI laptop with 8600gt built-in a few days ago (@P89,900), I began wondering if there is a model that allows you to play Crysis in high setting.

Another laptop that caught my fancy:

Redfox Duranote - shockproof & waterproof, any feedback on this unit? Thanks.

8600m gt? hmmm limited ang 8600m gt its good overall for gaming...89000? thats 2000USD!!!!

maraming 8600m gt based laptops that have good configurations even at 1500USD - and thats 60k not 89k

i'm based here sa usa...if you're spending 89k for an 8600m gt based laptop..man i'm sorry for you ...

oh yeah nvidia will be releasing newer video cards...i'd rather wait for that... the 8600m gt is an old video card

why don't you go to the mac thread if you want to know more about mac laptops. i used to own acer, asus, ecs laptops before, all running on windows but when i bought my macbook , i totally loved it, learned the o/s ( and had boom upgrade it to leopard :thumbsupsmiley: ) and never looked back. i'm never going back to windows again, with all those headaches on viruses. then again, i'm biased towards mac .

boomouse is the person to ask if you want to really know which is better based on your specifications; he would be able to decipher all the technical stuff. better send him a pm.

i think he's concerned with the hardware...

the macbook is an overall laptop..but misses the gaming x factor...

you only have the x3100 video card..which is awful in gaming...

but the macbook is a bling factor for socialites...

great wifi connection..

cheap as hell ...

good for internet and some office works

no virus? how about an anti-virus? does it have one? once programmers have created worms and virii for your OSx whats your protection?

Cheers!

poor research sir, 1gb ram and a smallish 120gb harddrive? and 199k? maraming models ang sony viao but of course there will be differences in price...and i'm sure its gonna be more expensive in pinas...

but reading someone saying 3 times the price is overly exaggerated...its never gonna happen!

oh yeah. check out pccorner.com.ph pcgilmore.com.ph pcx.com.ph they have pricelistings then compare them to the brands webpage like sony.com acer.com dell.com apple.com toshibadirect.com

As we lengthily discussed in the Mac thread, the Macbook Air is not for everybody. It was never meant to be a mainstream laptop. It is aimed at a segment of uers where:

1. portability and weight is an issue because they travel all over with the laptop.
  2. Their applications are more buisness and work oriented rahter than something thoroughly unproductive such as gaming.
  3. They are not price sensitive

A Macbook Air user will probably already have another Mac such as a desktop or a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Perhaps even a Windows-based laptop or desktop. Of course, some people would but it on mere looks alone which means all arguments about practicality and functionality would just not be relevant to them.

XPS 1530

Beautiful Balance

sna may mag reply...

Specs-wise they might come out more or less equal. But the XPS is a PLASTIC laptop and a hinge that will not feel as solid as the one on the MBP with its brushed aluminium case. And if you are going to buy one as a gift to your wife, chances are, Apple styling will win her over.

The MBP uses an 8600 GT. For its price, it is a lousy laptop for gaming and I'm not even raising the issue of framerates. There are cheaper Windows laptops with better framerates for game players. They would be more suitable for this. Playing games on an expensive computer is an obscene waste of time and resources. Imagine spending a lot of money to do nothing except waste time.

great wifi connection..

cheap as hell ...

Bling factor… hmm you mean it is only a computer for people who can afford it? Or do you mean that it is only a computer for people who like to show off to the world that they have the money to buy a Mac? Sour graping, methinks.

"Cheap as hell…" WTF! Make up your mind man! Does it cost too much or not enough?

no virus? how about an anti-virus? does it have one? once programmers have created worms and virii for your OSx whats your protection?

For me to discuss this with you properly, I will ask you to first disabuse your mind from thinking that OSX works much like Windows. For one thing, OSX is Unix-based which makes it inherently secure. Second OSX does not have a malware incubator called a REGISTRY in Windows. So, a lot of the exploits being bandied about by Anti Virus software publishers involves for OSX are potential code execution 'holes' in things like quicktime or a browser and only under conditions that must all be conducive to transmission of a particular kind of malware.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be any virii in the horizon. But I am not worried enough to install an anti-virus program although they are now available. Avast even has a free version. This is because Apple has been very good about releasing updates that thwart malware transmission at the system level. Sometimes within a matter of two weeks after an exploit is documented.

In fact, I use my Macs to scan Windows volumes and removable media because the virus scan app from Sophos will also catch non-OSX virii. So the quick answer to "what's your protection?" is: OSX itself. I would recommend a scan every quarter though.

I have been a Mac user for decades and ever since OS 10.3 my quarterly volume scans have not turned up anyting Mac-related. My last virus eradication headache on the Mac was when MS Word Macro virii would transfer from Windows docs to Mac Word docs. that was over five years ago.

Guest lustfortravel

great wifi connection..

cheap as hell ...

i don't do games so i wouldn't know, i guess.

bling factor for socialites? ouch....a catty generalization . ;) and don't you think the "bling factor" and the "cheap as hell" comments are contradictory?

i don't use my mac just for "internet and some office works" only - its great for photo and video editing, especially if you are serious with photography. ;)

if ur planning to buy a high end, high price laptop, think twice, cause buying a laptop is like buying a car, dapat ok resale value and madaling ibenta dahil ok ang performance and after sales service at of course ok ang price.

Naka high end laptop k nga naw, after 1 yr, my bago na lalabas, khit anong specs pa or water proof, bagsak proof p yan, LUMA na din, ang hirap p ibenta, ksi nga walang bumili s mahal, at LUMA na.

In my OPINION, u should buy a laptop na ung UUBRA na s NEEDS mo, dont buy a laptop ksi MAHAL, Hi TECH masyado, or KAKAIBA, kung hindi ka lang din RICH TALAGA.

Like mE, i changed my laptop every yr since 2005, s US ako buy den after 1yr sell ko, kung magkano bili e ganun ko din sell. VERY EXCELLENT INVESTMENT.

Just my "own" personal opinion.

Think b4 u buy!

if ur planning to buy a high end, high price laptop, think twice, cause buying a laptop is like buying a car, dapat ok resale value and madaling ibenta dahil ok ang performance and after sales service at of course ok ang price.

Naka high end laptop k nga naw, after 1 yr, my bago na lalabas, khit anong specs pa or water proof, bagsak proof p yan, LUMA na din, ang hirap p ibenta, ksi nga walang bumili s mahal, at LUMA na.

In my OPINION, u should buy a laptop na ung UUBRA na s NEEDS mo, dont buy a laptop ksi MAHAL, Hi TECH masyado, or KAKAIBA, kung hindi ka lang din RICH TALAGA.

Like mE, i changed my laptop every yr since 2005, s US ako buy den after 1yr sell ko, kung magkano bili e ganun ko din sell. VERY EXCELLENT INVESTMENT.

Just my "own" personal opinion.

Think b4 u buy!

What you said is one way of looking at the economics of laptop ownership. This is probably valid if you buy a laptop because you just want to have a computer around just in case you might need one. Its like having a cake mixer and oven around just in case you want to bake a cake.

On the other hand, if you are a serious pastry chef who makes a career out of baking, you will probably want a really good cooker like a 15,000 btu Viking range. For some of us, the same logic applies when it comes to our laptops. If you are, say, an investment banker who periodically goes on investment roadshows to present funding opportunities to private banking clients, you would want a laptop that is light, presentable, and capable of helping you produce snappy presentations that will help you generate investments in the milions and sometimes billions of dollars.

Laptops are tools not investments. They are supposed to be used, and one expects them to wear out after a while with components such as a hard disk, optical drive and power brick to give up the ghost at some point. Used productively, laptops no matter how much they cost, pay for themselves many times over. Think about it. A P150,000 Macbook Pro may sound like it is a lot of money to most salary workers. But to an executive who gets upwards of P300,000 a month in take home pay, it is entirely justifiable for his em ployer to give him one because his decisions can be worth several milions in potential income or loss and a good tool like a laptop that is used properly will improve the probability of a profit rather than a loss being realized.

From personal experience, I have had laptops that have been paid for many times over by simply writing a prospectus for an Initial Public Offering with it. All an executive or businessman needs is to successfully complete a project or transaction such as a leveraged buyout, corporate merger, or underwrite a loan or share offering and he can even justifiably throw his laptop into the trash and buy a new one. But that would be wasteful and you never get to be successful by being that way.

So, you know, there really are people who buy pricey laptops for more than just showing off. It's because for what they do, they can justify buying one. Also for what they do, a laptop failure at the wrong time can be disastrous. So, I would not buy a plastic laptop because plastic cracks especially around the hinges after a while. I want a bright screen and the MBP gives me that. And for those occassions where I absolutely need to bring a laptop to a site that will be really rough going, I got the company to get me a ruggedized one for that. And all I need is for ONE presentation or negotiation to go right and these things, whatever they cost will be paid in full many times over. And if the opposite happens because a laptop failed, I would have been willing to spend ten or even twenty times more at that point just to salvage the project.

You can never convince me that a cheap Neo laptop is just as good as a Sony Vaio, or high end Dell, or Lenovo, or Apple.

Edited by boomouse

^ yup, it's a relative thing...a 150,000 pesos laptop is cheap whose salary is on the high end but practicality is another issue...really depends on the person still....i may be earning 300,000 pesos a month or more but getting a 150,000 pesos of which i can afford borders on overindulgence , in my opinion , you can get the job done even with a Neo laptop.

^ yup, it's a relative thing...a 150,000 pesos laptop is cheap whose salary is on the high end but practicality is another issue...really depends on the person still....i may be earning 300,000 pesos a month or more but getting a 150,000 pesos of which i can afford borders on overindulgence , in my opinion , you can get the job done even with a Neo laptop.

I will accept that owning an expensive laptop may be branded by you as an overindulgence--an opinion that you have every right to express. Would it be alright if I also express my opinion too and say that if you are good enough to nail down an A list salary and yet you insist on using a cheap laptop, you are parsimonius?

Actually, I would rather not call you parsimonius and just say that you have chosen to do whatever turns you on. In the same way that to some people, a stylish, well made, albeit high priced laptop is also a turn on.

In which case, whichever way you go, both buying decisions are overindulgent.

8600m gt? hmmm limited ang 8600m gt its good overall for gaming...89000? thats 2000USD!!!!

maraming 8600m gt based laptops that have good configurations even at 1500USD - and thats 60k not 89k

i'm based here sa usa...if you're spending 89k for an 8600m gt based laptop..man i'm sorry for you ...

oh yeah nvidia will be releasing newer video cards...i'd rather wait for that... the 8600m gt is an old video card

Thanks, I hope the people at MSI are reading this thread, so that their next 'gaming laptop' will be armed with a 8800gt video card.