What's So Special About Starbucks?

starbucks?? ..there are standards to meet in order to meet the requirements of a great coffee of which i think starbucks has but i dont think these standards are being followed or complied to by their staff and managers..yes, every coffee shop has good coffees to offer but it would greatly depend on how these preparations are being done, like for example, brewed coffees that starbucks sells each day differs, right? but didnt you know that brewed coffees only lasts for 1 hour and a half? and what they should do is to replace it with a new one that would also last for an hour and a half...Now lets go to the ever famous espresso drinks..like cappucino's, moccachino's, caffe latte and other hot drinks that needs an espresso. If you want to be meticulous about the quality of your espresso drinks, you should check on the espresso that comes out directly from the espresso machine,,check it out..look for the "crema" (holy grail of the baristas)..it should be the lovely, golden foam of coffee oils that covers a straight shot of espresso. Thick with aroma and flavor, it is the sign of proper coffee extraction and it should be golden brown. If it looks and smells burnt, well the espresso machine is not calibrated therefore the quality of your coffee is not good, not only that the milk that is to be mixed with the espressos should be steamed at the right temperature..160-170 degress farenheit to be exact, so if you see barista's steaming milk without thermometers,they could be experts on estimating the temperature of the milk but would you know how accurate he is or do you know how long he is working on that coffee shop/chain? I love starbucks but not here in the phiippines because i see negligence on how they prepare their coffees. They think so much of the quantity they serve and neglect the quality with which they are known for..so i think most young filipinos are in for starbucks is because of our colonial mentality. The good thing now is that starbucks is using our locally produced coffees but is selling it at a cost the same as the world class coffees...

I love this uninformed post. You sound like a Starbucks Barista that must have been fired for not following standards and now you are bitter. You know your standards too well to be a customer. You probably drank your own non standard prepared coffee. Starbucks isn't perfect but if you ask Starbucks employees and all the other coffee shops I bet you will find their people know the standards better than the rest. I think you should give the Filipino more credit. I think Filipinos are like any other nationality and they patronize businesses because of the product, service and reward they get for the money they spend. There are many Filipino companies that are more successful than foreign companies because they run their business well.

Starbucks has become pure escapism. Do you agree?

During the entire process, there is the obligatory flaunting of Nokia cell phones, the occasional eruptions of “yeah” and “sure” here and there. You get the impression everyone in the room is from the conyo sector. Pathetic as it is, the Starbucks atmosphere is so contagious that it simply brings out the social climber in one.

But when in Starbucks, the average Pinoy is instantly made to feel he’s in New York, or Las Vegas, or Paris, or anywhere else but Manila – one probable reson why we Filipinos buy this flick. We are total suckers for anything that is western in concept. But Starbucks has gone beyond colonial mentality; it has become pure escapism. It helps us forget about the EDSA traffic jam, the hostages in Mindanao, and the decreasing popularity of Erap. In this age of harsh realities of poverty and chaos, anything that offers oblivion and temporary indulgence sells fast. No matter how costly it is.