Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Guest hastati

Frankie Edgar, last night, was the answer to the question: who could beat BJ Penn at lightweight? I didn't even give Edgar a ghost of a chance against BJ but just like everybody I was shocked. Edgar gave BJ a 5-round clinic in boxing not to mention taking him down 2 times (a very difficult thing to do to BJ by the way). He was quick and moved from side to side which made it difficult for BJ to land a punch. I never saw BJ cut but Edgar cut him and at the end of the fight, BJ gassed out. A rematch in the works?

As for Anderson Silva, much as he's one of my faves, my respect for him diminished a bit after he acted like a clown. GSP-Silva? Why not? I wonder if Anderson could avoid the lightning-quick take-downs of GSP. Demian Maya was too tentative and intimidated to engage Silva in a striking match, something that Hendo did which is why he was able to take Silva down in the first round. If GSP would copy Dan Henderson's strategy of engaging Anderson toe to toe for the purpose of taking him down, I would think that GSP would be able to use his superior speed on the ground to either ground and pound the spider or just be in the dominant position and wear down Silva.

Edited by hastati
Congrats to mark munoz!!!!!! he got luckier than nover, damn!!!!!!

That's not luck at all. That's conditioning (the type that training at one of the top MMA teams in the world like Blackhouse can give) and more importantly heart.

He nearly got knocked out three times, twice in the first round (he first got clipped with an uppercut while attempting a single and he was eating hammer fists as he was pressing him unto the cage and holding on to the single) and once in the third (when he ate a pretty good knee from Grove).

He also nearly got caught in several submissions and let me tell you... defending submissions is hard enough, defending submissions while stunned from all the shots to the head you've taken is even more of a feat so kudos to him.

As for Grove... that's the hard thing about attempting an armbar if you miss with it in MMA 9 times out of 10 you will be out of position and your opponent will be in a position to capitalize.

Congrats to mark munoz!!!!!! he got luckier than nover, damn!!!!!!

Mark Munoz is a tough fighter.. no luck that time because he was close to being knocked out. he even said that he struggled when hit by an upper cut. but still, his toughness prevailed..

Congrats THE FILIPINO WRECKING MACHINE!!! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

ang ganda na sana ng ufc 112, kakahiya si spider tsk tsk tsk..

what a win by mark munoz! i thought he really was in trouble with kendall grove's uppercut and choke attempts, i was so happy to see him pound the cr*p out of the other spider, well deserved win by the filipino wrekcing machine..

rafael dos anjos is another emerging lightweight, nice armbar against etim..

matt hughes' leg kicks were brutal against renzo gracie, too bad gracie lost, i was looking forward to him avenging his cousin's defeat against hughes..

anderson silva's antics are atrocious, he disgraced not only himself, his opponent, the ufc, the fans and the sport..everybody knows how good he is but have the respect to repay everyone who made the event possible and the fans and supporters of the ufc and mma to finish the fight as a champions, nakakabwiset, i hope he decides to move to welterweight that GSP opens a can of whoop-ass against him, he deserves it, masyado na siya naging mayabang..

chael sonnen makes some nice comments against the spider sa yahoosports, nice read...

UFC 112 was great...until anderson silva ruined it...yeah he's a good fighter. but i think he went too far with his antics. it's a shame and disrespectful to all. kudos to damian maia for putting up with him...

...cheers to frank edgar! too bad bj penn lost. bawi nalang next time.

kudos to mark munoz too! go pinoy! =]

Edited by paupawie
frankie edgar beat a legend in bj penn fair and square, ambilis ng hand speed, movements and technical striking, well deserved champion :)

...and he took him down... which no lightweight in 6 years has ever managed to do (i'm not sure if pulver was ever able to take him down though the fight's been so long ago i can't remember), not once but twice. :thumbsupsmiley:

I have to agree with the contention of some though that 3 of the 5 rounds were kinda hard to score though, and so an outright rematch (well at least if BJ asks for one) might be in order. And I'm sure Frankie Edgar would love to prove to everyone that his win was no fluke so he'll probabbly give it to BJ too.

Main event for UFC 115:

Chuck Liddell vs Rich Franklin

not exactly a fight i'd want to watch despite their fighting styles. i guess it's because both of them are currently irrelevant in the the LHW div and imo it seems more like a filler. similar to the hughes vs. gracie fight.

sure can't wait for UFC 113 though. i've been waiting for the rematch since forever.

...and he took him down... which no lightweight in 6 years has ever managed to do (i'm not sure if pulver was ever able to take him down though the fight's been so long ago i can't remember), not once but twice. :thumbsupsmiley:

I have to agree with the contention of some though that 3 of the 5 rounds were kinda hard to score though, and so an outright rematch (well at least if BJ asks for one) might be in order. And I'm sure Frankie Edgar would love to prove to everyone that his win was no fluke so he'll probabbly give it to BJ too.

first judge scores it 50-45 infavor of frankie. frankie even shaked his head as he thought it is for BJ's favor... i would think they will give the title shot to florian...

Silva is a douche for running all of the 4th and 5th round..

I wonder what weight he will fight next.. What the hell, let him fight GSP..

i pity the man, he is so damn good that people is no longer happy whatever the outcome of his fights. if he didnt run, he could have killed his opponent. he already smashed maia's face beyond recognition in just 2 funky rounds where he fought like a clown, a defective robot or a drunken monkey, and a lesbian pussycat. he even stood still, hands down and offeedr his face , body and crotch as open target. ano ba dapat nya gawin?