Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Yun na nga eh he got some special gifts how come he doesn't use hirap sa tin pinoy porma muna bago performance... baligtad ata...the lattershould come first and form will follow...

I don't understand what you're trying to say

Nover had beautiful standup in the Kaplan fight, precision jabs, nice head movement, and great combos with his fists, plus he got the takedown and the RNC. If that's not using his natural gifts then I don't know what is.

maybe you saw a different fight

Nover had beautiful standup in the Kaplan fight, precision jabs, nice head movement, and great combos with his fists, plus he got the takedown and the RNC. If that's not using his natural gifts then I don't know what is.

come to think of it, he was also good in his fight that got him inside the house

well, aside from the fainting issue, i'd say he was showing good form in the two fights i saw him in

maybe you're talking about Junie Browning chief, he was the one who was talking smack about his opponent and eked out a really close split d for the win

i've got nothing useful to contribute to this thread :P except that my boys train @ Striking Unlimited

by Ken Hahn, Frank Mir, and other accomplished fighters

Frank Mir, as you guys are aware of, coaches the Mir Team of TUF, and Ken is assitant coach to Frank

outside of TUF, Ken actually trains Frank

no air about these guys...i didn't know who they were before i enrolled my kids there and still don't know

who's who in the TUF and UFC world...i only find out who they are from friends and my brothers.

The MIR team and some other previous TUF fighters train there (according to my brothers).

The guys are nothing like what I thought fighters would be, bulldoggish attitude.

Surprisingly, they're just all around nice guys.

my boys have learned so much within such a short time unlike their previous self-defense classes

they've been doing for years. and as a mom, i'm impressed at the self-confidence my boys now have since

training there. who knows, my boys might represent the next great Pinoy fighters of the UFC :P

the kids sparring is not to be taken lightly...these kids are fierce...out of all the sparring, the kids

sparring sessions generate alot of energy out of these seasoned fighters.

Thats cool! For me Striking unlimited would also be my gym choices besides Xtreme Couture there. But way back in 2004 I was there, Las Vegas Combat Club was the only place you can train ! Frank Mir and Ken Hahn decided to open up their own gym which is Striking Unlimited in 2007! Ayus yan hotlips! Keep your kids training there! Thats a good gym with good people! Like you said wala hangin mga yan! hehe... Goodluck to your kids! :thumbsupsmiley:

Panu yan? di kna soccer mom! MMA Mom kna! haha :thumbsupsmiley:

Oo d2 nako! I lived in Las Vegas nung 2004-2006. Then I moved to Doha Qatar in the Middle East Sept. 2006-2008 (Oh dont ask why I left LV... long story) Anyways Cencia na bro at walang Gi's dun. Di sikat BJJ dun unlike sa Jordan and UAE (Abu Dhabi). See you OnTheMat Sir RiceBoi! Hehehe... Sir wala nba tlga Fabricio Alabang?! nalalayuan tlga ako sa Fabricio Laguna eh. I'll start next week sa Elorde SouthMall, mag MT muna ako ulit! My friends said meron na daw MMA dun, but I prefer MT nlng muna, check out ko muna MMA training nila kung Hardcore at baka di ko kayanin! Wahaha... :thumbsupsmiley:

Striking Unlimited is a big gym in Vegas i believe so, and your kids are getting good training there if you ask me, i'd say it's comparable to Randy's Extreme Couture gym as well.

haha won't that be nice, being the mom of the next great Pinoy Fighter ^_^

i've gone to the couture gym but i decided on striking unlimited dahil mas malapit sa amin

and i found couture not really geared towards kids...and i got the feeling that randy is all about

the money...very commercialized with all his merchandise up in your face...all overpriced including his lessons

eh hindi naman si randy mismo ang trainer...i also felt he was a little arrogant when i met him w/c he prolly

has the right to be

with ken, he never made me feel like the money was the object and his goal is to share his skills

once he found out my son was being bullied, his foremost concern was to teach him to defend himself

i didn't think i can afford his fees, specially for 2 boys, but

after meeting him personally and saw that his gym is a small establishment and just starting off

i found the fees are worth it for what they are teaching

Thats cool! For me Striking unlimited would also be my gym choices besides Xtreme Couture there. But way back in 2004 I was there, Las Vegas Combat Club was the only place you can train ! Frank Mir and Ken Hahn decided to open up their own gym which is Striking Unlimited in 2007! Ayus yan hotlips! Keep your kids training there! Thats a good gym with good people! Like you said wala hangin mga yan! hehe... Goodluck to your kids! :thumbsupsmiley:

Panu yan? di kna soccer mom! MMA Mom kna! haha :thumbsupsmiley:

:lol: @ MMA mom! let me change my title nga!

yeah, i love the ppl there...it's a family environment

toddy's is good too...more muah thai based

their instructors are mostly from thailand

my brothers train there but they're way on the other side of town

couture as i said is more commercialized, the classes are priced outrageously

Edited by hottlipss
@hottlipss

Glad to see a mom who's so supportive of her kids doing MMA. I wish my mom was a little more like you. hehe. Good luck to them they're training at a nice camp and I do hope they get to represent the country in the future.

i actually didn't let my kids watch ufc or any wrestling because i thought it wasn't age appropriate and would be too violent for them

but ever since my eldest got bullied, i figured i better have my boys learn how to defend themselves...

my no fighting policy just didn't work... the more my eldest ignored the bullies the more relentless they became in bullying him

i figured mas mabuti na yung magaral sila nang self defense and for confidence too so they can stand up for themselves

mas mura pa yung kaysa ako ang mabilango dito for kicking some trailer-trash kids

yeah look out for my boys...they've got heart sabi nga nila sa gym

lalo na yung pangalawa na sobrang liit pero matapang,

kahit gaano kalaki yung kasparring niya at natatalo na

hindi siya magtatap out...sabi nun instructor, he's proof daw that size doesn't matter

:thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by hottlipss

Let put it this way na lang i guess i would be impressed if nover will accompany his good head movements with busy hands and alot of hand combination shots, No offence just what i thought to be better.

hindi siya magtatap out...sabi nun instructor, he's proof daw that size doesn't matter

Yeah that true... If one got the heart of a lion then no matter what the obstacle are, big or small long or short deep or shallow, he or she can make it to the top!

Ganyan din ako dati. I used to be bullied, i lacked the lion heart, which made me shrink! Now i've trained in combat sports... boxing, muay thai, grappling and most of all MMA. I no longer shiver when confronted by an attacker, I now feel comfortable even under the presure of an opponent. I felt different my confidence is absolutely at its peak, I can now introduce my self and talk to the ladies, nabawasan yung pag ka torpe ko hahaha. But i would admit there are certain type of women na torpe parin ako lalo nag pag assumptionista or sobra ubod ng ganda! hehehe anyway combat sport made a huge change in my life! Just remember mma mom! saftey firts kalaban din kc ng combat sport ang injury! pag injured di pwede training!

hehe. Pag sikat na sila ha. My (future) gym should have first dibs pag nagpaseminar sila dito sa Pinas ha. hehehe.

Let put it this way na lang i guess i would be impressed if nover will accompany his good head movements with busy hands and alot of hand combination shots, No offence just what i thought to be better.

Yeah that true... If one got the heart of a lion then no matter what the obstacle are, big or small long or short deep or shallow, he or she can make it to the top!

Ganyan din ako dati. I used to be bullied, i lacked the lion heart, which made me shrink! Now i've trained in combat sports... boxing, muay thai, grappling and most of all MMA. I no longer shiver when confronted by an attacker, I now feel comfortable even under the presure of an opponent. I felt different my confidence is absolutely at its peak, I can now introduce my self and talk to the ladies, nabawasan yung pag ka torpe ko hahaha. But i would admit there are certain type of women na torpe parin ako lalo nag pag assumptionista or sobra ubod ng ganda! hehehe anyway combat sport made a huge change in my life! Just remember mma mom! saftey firts kalaban din kc ng combat sport ang injury! pag injured di pwede training!

all that training foster self-confidence...ibang iba yung stance nila even after the first lesson...

they wear a mouth piece, shin guards, and gloves

they haven't cried or complained so far even when their lips got busted and even they've come home with bruises

i get them massages once a week (the wholesome ones guys, they're only 10 and 11) since they've been coming home sore

hehe. Pag sikat na sila ha. My (future) gym should have first dibs pag nagpaseminar sila dito sa Pinas ha. hehehe.

most definitely! as i mentioned to king they're only 10 and 11 years old so they've got a long way to go

i'll post some of their sparring video when i get a chance

Edited by hottlipss
all that training foster self-confidence...ibang iba yung stance nila even after the first lesson...

they haven't cried or complained so far even when their lips got busted and even they've come home with bruises

i get them massages once a week (the wholesome ones guys, they're only 10 and 11) since they've been coming home sore

most definitely! as i mentioned to king they're only 10 and 11 years old so they've got a long way to go

Nice! Mom of future UFC Pinoy Champs! Hehe...

Post some sparring vids! We'd appreciate it! :thumbsupsmiley:

i actually didn't let my kids watch ufc or any wrestling because i thought it wasn't age appropriate and would be too violent for them

but ever since my eldest got bullied, i figured i better have my boys learn how to defend themselves...

my no fighting policy just didn't work... the more my eldest ignored the bullies the more relentless they became in bullying him

i figured mas mabuti na yung magaral sila nang self defense and for confidence too so they can stand up for themselves

mas mura pa yung kaysa ako ang mabilango dito for kicking some trailer-trash kids

hahaha pwede din siyang theme ng isang movie ^_^

my mom also had the no fighting policy when i was still in elementary and highschool, being a newcomer to an all boys school and wearing geeky glasses didn't help me avoid being bullied either. there i was constantly getting bullied until i snapped in the 5th grade, i head kicked this classmate of mine who was always picking on me... ayun tulog siya tapos pinagalitan ako ng art teacher namin at dinala ako kay Mrs Tupas (level head ng 5th & 6th grade). it didn't stop there though, in highschool i still carried the stigma of being a nerd and everything & was constantly bullied as well, there weren't MMA schools in the Philippines during that time, and t** Kwon Do seemed soft with just learning how to kick beautifully and all, so my solution was to join a fraternity. hahaha no frats in DBTI during that time so i had to go to the now closed Makati Public School to join a frat, and get someone back me up in pounding the beejesus outta them bullies ahehehe ^_^

anyways, i'm starting BJJ lessons this December, wala akong alam na basics kasi yung mga instructional videos diretso sa action eh ^_^

sir maddromeo & sir geneticfreak kita kits sa mat! haha ^_^

Tatandaan ko yan mam ha. hehe.

@riceboi

Yah, see you on the mats bro. One World. One BJJ.

all that training foster self-confidence...

Hahaha, What if one day your sons ask you "mom, whats the difference bet wholesome massage over not so wholesome?" you know naman kids... they say the darnesst things that makes the adult oooohhhh aaahhh well, blahblahblah. I've a nephew whos so darn that he just wouldn't stop asking why this why that and so on... hehehe

t** Kwon Do seemed soft with just learning how to kick beautifully and all, so my solution was to join a fraternity. hahaha no frats in DBTI during that time so i had to go to the now closed Makati Public School to join a frat, and get someone back me up in pounding the beejesus outta them bullies ahehehe ^_^

anyways, i'm starting BJJ lessons this December, wala akong alam na basics kasi yung mga instructional videos diretso sa action eh ^_^

sir maddromeo & sir geneticfreak kita kits sa mat! haha ^_^

Hold it... don't you just laugh at taekwondo...I use to LOL over the stuff untill a couple of months ago... When my coach had me sparr against a taekwondo black belter turn muay thai... I was 28 and the kid is i guess 18-20 yrs old. Damn that kid didn't just kicked beautifully but kicked me so fast that i could not react any better. In the end talo ako sa bilis nya, maga mga binti ko.

Videos are good head start just look very carefull and try to imitate it it would make it easier for you to do it at the same time madadalian din ang coach mo sa pagturo sayo.

I'm actually against frats... for some reason... bad idea... anyway here are some good head start for combat sports...

Train in boxing to improve your fist work... this is very important.

Train in karate or taekwondo for quick kicks, then train in muay thai or kick boxing for power kick. much better if combined you'll get quick powerfull kicks!

Train in judo or aikido for proper body movements.

Combine judo or aikido with juijitsu or grapplling for better ground techniqs

and mostly sparr in mma with bigger opponents to improve fighting mind set, and enable strenght development.

Lastly ang kamao ang pinaka huling bala lagi hindi porket sinutok ka, sususntok ka rin... think use the head above your shoulders. Kapag ikaw ang nauna sumuntok, sa prisinto talo ka, dahil ikaw ang lalabas na nagsimula ng gulo.

hahaha oo naman, ok ang TKD, i saw the fight science documentary and damn that TKD blackbelt has fast reflexes and he wasn't skinny he was built like a rock as well. ^_^

nyways back to topic: any thoughts about the now champ Babalu VS Tito planned fight? hehehe Babalu said Tito's a good dessert ^_^

Hold it... don't you just laugh at taekwondo...I use to LOL over the stuff untill a couple of months ago... When my coach had me sparr against a taekwondo black belter turn muay thai... I was 28 and the kid is i guess 18-20 yrs old. Damn that kid didn't just kicked beautifully but kicked me so fast that i could not react any better. In the end talo ako sa bilis nya, maga mga binti ko.

As has been said time and time again. Any Martial Art in the hands of an expert is lethal. Respect is due to all arts and all practitioners of the martial arts.

hahaha oo naman, ok ang TKD, i saw the fight science documentary and damn that TKD blackbelt has fast reflexes and he wasn't skinny he was built like a rock as well. ^_^

nyways back to topic: any thoughts about the now champ Babalu VS Tito planned fight? hehehe Babalu said Tito's a good dessert ^_^

Yah and that TKD guy could really wield weapons. Saw the work he did with the staff and that samurai sword? i thought that was cool.

As for the Babau/Ortiz Fight. Well I'm a big fan of both of them. But Tito's really more of a sentimental fave of mine so I wish him the best. He's gonna have his hands full with Sobral though.

Ken Shamrock's Lion's den is also at Las Vegas I think. that is where he is based and is one of the trainers. this is one of the first mma gyms/camps.

he also has one in Arizona but he is not in charge there rick roufus and some of ken's boys are running the gym there.. there is also the Lion's den in Dallas being run buy guy metzger..

Both lost to chuck hhhhmmmm good card i guess.

Tito ortiz reminds me of my old friend turned foe... he (my old foe) keeps his mouth full with word... ako i don't say a word when i fight... and i fight only those who screw me badly!

Ken Shamrock's Lion's den is also at Las Vegas I think. that is where he is based and is one of the trainers. this is one of the first mma gyms/camps.

he also has one in Arizona but he is not in charge there rick roufus and some of ken's boys are running the gym there.. there is also the Lion's den in Dallas being run buy guy metzger..

metzger is a former lions den stall ward...

Hmm.. really? Ang alam ko namang TKD blackbelt naman dati before nay MT si Bas Rutten.

Well both are really great with their kicks. I guess the TKD background really helped them.

Absolutely... In this kind of sport, the following skills are needed.

Speed

Power

Agility or flexibility

Pain tolerance

technics/ mechanics of the decipline

Lastly experience.... It's what makes ironchined stand out from those glass jawed like kimbo...!

BTW regarding, jose aguilar ba yun sa TUF Nog would really love to have him in his team for having a good grappling skills, yun nga lang bumigay sa pagod ....tsk tsk, LOSER Like what he say he belongs to hitler, napoleon and blahblahblah... kun sila ni hitler eh pucha no doubt they're both losers!

Both lost to chuck hhhhmmmm good card i guess.

Tito ortiz reminds me of my old friend turned foe... he (my old foe) keeps his mouth full with word... ako i don't say a word when i fight... and i fight only those who screw me badly!

tito has a bigger mouth than babalu... tito is also a crybaby... yup tito will be icing on sobral's cake!!!