While everyone has still a hangover about the Mamasapano tragedy. And while others are busy monitoring the current events across the globe and around us. Our media is earning a lot of money. lol

Anyway, let’s have a break for a while. I suppose everyone has already watched this Coca Cola advertisement. It has a 30-second exposure with a caption “contain memories, and other secret ingredients . Open happiness”. Though I couldn’t careless the latter but not its auditory background.

A big advertisement from a big company such as Coca Cola usually has its relevant meaning (if not for anyone -or perhaps an affirmation, too ) especially intended to our society, government, etc. If so, what could it be? Go figure the song (one of my favorites in the 80s!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PH1g-b2P8k

Miss ko na ang Channel 13 noong 80s. Madami silang magagandang programa na educational at mga satirical na programa. Ngayon puro love teams na lang at kabakyaan. Kaya bumaba ang level ng pagiisip ng ating mga kababayan dahil sa mga pinapanood nila sa telebisyon. Yan ang epekto ng media.

http://philippinesthesickmanofasia.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/gising-na-mga-taonggoy-gising-na.html

Edited by Booblehead

Well we can see the negative effects on our population today! Especially the BS being played in ABS-CBN that zombifies our masses! Deflecting the true issues in our society to mask the continuous rape and plunder of our country! And only a few are complaining/ protesting in the streets!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that is the business. Beat the competition to level up to the highest degree.

Speaking of business competition, let’s think of the well-matched rivalry of the following big companies such as Microsoft vs Apple, Ford vs General Motors, AT&T vs Sprint, and the epic cola war between Coca-Cola and Pepsi Co.

All of which compete to their best, such as increasing innovation, industry growth and most critically for investors – shareholder value. All of them utilize the medium of advertisement through newspaper, radio, television and internet to let the consumers know about their product/service’s edge and competitiveness.

Miss ko na ang Channel 13 noong 80s. Madami silang magagandang programa na educational at mga satirical na programa. Ngayon puro love teams na lang at kabakyaan. Kaya bumaba ang level ng pagiisip ng ating mga kababayan dahil sa mga pinapanood nila sa telebisyon. Yan ang epekto ng media.

http://philippinesthesickmanofasia.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/gising-na-mga-taonggoy-gising-na.html

May kinalaman pa rin kasi dyan ang tinatawag na “trend” o “fad”. Kung ano kasi ang programa ng ibang istasyon, naturalmente, kailangan nilang i-pattern at i-adjust ang set of programming nila. Malungkot man isipin, lahat nagbabago habang tumatakbo ang panahon, kaya mas madalas kaysa sa hindi, nasasakripisyo ang kalidad ng isang bagay kagaya nga ng mga dating palabas na may kabuluhan.

Kaya habang ganun ang kalakaran sa medya natin lalo na sa telebisyon, bumaba ang kalidad ng kaalaman ng sosyodad natin. Hindi natin masisi sila kasi negosyo din yan. Parte na ng negosyo ang pagiging daynamik. Dahil kung hindi, mapag-iiwanan sila ng mga kakumpitensya nila.

Well we can see the negative effects on our population today! Especially the BS being played in ABS-CBN that zombifies our masses! Deflecting the true issues in our society to mask the continuous rape and plunder of our country! And only a few are complaining/ protesting in the streets!

I share your sentiments. As I said earlier, it has something to do with the ever changing “fad” especially with the kind of business they have. Business is business. They have to adapt what is IN today. They have to get more sponsors and advertisers, or else they will suffer. Empathy on consumers is not their priority. Sorry for us, viewers.

Marshall McLuhan's media study works in the early 1960's suggested that the media itself is the message and that they are intrumental in shaping human and cultural experiences. There is one communication theory called Used and Gratification which basically suggests that many people consume media with the intent to live a life vicariously. People consume media based on different motives which may include social interaction, entertainment, escape, arousal, etc.

I think that as much as the media shape and influence our society, people also shape the media. Media provides the content based on demand. Drama and sensationalized stories are rating because people show interest and the more people show interest, the more media will show the same content. And because the media is showing the same content, more and more people adapt, accept and follow the content because they find some sort satisfaction. Bottomline is that both media and the people consuming media have responsibilities and both can influence one another.

• Like (+1) 1

Marshall McLuhan's media study works in the early 1960's suggested that the media itself is the message and that they are intrumental in shaping human and cultural experiences. There is one communication theory called Used and Gratification which basically suggests that many people consume media with the intent to live a life vicariously. People consume media based on different motives which may include social interaction, entertainment, escape, arousal, etc.
I think that as much as the media shape and influence our society, people also shape the media. Media provides the content based on demand. Drama and sensationalized stories are rating because people show interest and the more people show interest, the more media will show the same content. And because the media is showing the same content, more and more people adapt, accept and follow the content because they find some sort satisfaction. Bottomline is that both media and the people consuming media have responsibilities and both can influence one another.

I agree that the consuming public and the media both can influence one another. It is plain and simple case of supply and demand. But the more relevant question is, who has more influence in creating this demand? Because whoever can exert more influence has the greater responsibility.

Media as a platform is a way by which people can attain greater social interaction, such as various social media platforms like facebook. Sometimes it can even provide an escape from oneself entirely assuming the identity of a different person under the veil of anonymity, much like in this forum. Media in this form is a way by which the public conveys what is in demand. In the multitude of voices surfaces what people presently have interest in, and the multitude in turn influences the individual. Media in this instance, provides a venue for the marketplace of ideas.

It is different, however, when a central voice controls what is being "sold" in the market. This is the case of networks who essentially have control over the content of whatever they broadcast. In this media platform, ideas are not exchanged; rather, they are conveyed. I use the term "networks" as a proxy for all kinds of media in this form (television, print, radio, etc.). The people can show interest in a lot of things, but networks can select which among these to convey. In a different scenario, networks can even take an uninteresting thing and convey that it is what now interests people. Though it was not true when it was first conveyed, it eventually becomes true because people will begin to take interest in it thinking that others already have. And this is why those who control the media have greater responsibility.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on what I read, one of Marshall McLuhan’s notable ideas was the “The medium is the message” in which he stated that a medium affects the society not only by the content delivered but also by the characteristics of the medium itself.Take a movie for example, he said that the movie is a medium itself. Any content of such is always another medium. Same thing with television, any program of such is always another medium.

I like the way how he interpreted Cubism on the subject of art history. He said that it clearly announced that the medium itself is the message. It means that one could not ask what the artwork was about (its content) but consider it in its entirety. Anyway, McLuhan’s ideas seemed to be centered on the question “what does media do to people?” That’s why we can expect stiff competition among media. Out of competition, they simply mean to satisfy consumers.

As for the Uses and Gratification theory, it has focused on the questions “what do people do with media?”, “why and how do people use specific media?” The audience or consumers then are the active ones. They are responsible for choosing the kind of media to satisfy their wants. Thus, I agree with the poster above that both parties (media and consumers) can influence and are responsible or have responsibilities with one another.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reposting an earlier reply which I posted in the Next President sub-forum since it also applies to the role of media in the Philippine setting.

One could consider the media as some sort of king maker. It can magnify the positive attributes of certain politicians as well as the negative attributes of others. Media indeed shapes public opinion whether we like it or not. That said, if I were a politician, I would invest in a media outfit as a silent partner to boost my image rather than resort to old traditional means such as handing out bags of goodies to people to entice them to vote for me. This is just too cumbersome considering the number of people one has to reach out to and the area one needs to cover.

Politics in this day and age will be fought in the media. Projecting oneself on television, radio, and social media is the most effective way to campaign today. If you want to win an election, you need a good media outfit to project yourself in a way that is believable, credible and sincere to the electorate.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm reposting an earlier reply which I posted in the Next President sub-forum since it also applies to the role of media in the Philippine setting.

One could consider the media as some sort of king maker. It can magnify the positive attributes of certain politicians as well as the negative attributes of others. Media indeed shapes public opinion whether we like it or not. That said, if I were a politician, I would invest in a media outfit as a silent partner to boost my image rather than resort to old traditional means such as handing out bags of goodies to people to entice them to vote for me. This is just too cumbersome considering the number of people one has to reach out to and the area one needs to cover.

Politics in this day and age will be fought in the media. Projecting oneself on television, radio, and social media is the most effective way to campaign today. If you want to win an election, you need a good media outfit to project yourself in a way that is believable, credible and sincere to the electorate.

Yeah, that makes sense. For some obvious reason, this could also lead to abuse of authority and even exposing their dirty linen to the public. Like what happened to a certain journalist who has attacked by the Liberal Party to force her to disclose the sources of her article about a "Crime Lord" who paid for BBL payola.

Read here the full story. Liberal Party Lawmakers Bully Journalist.

Yeah, that makes sense. For some obvious reason, this could also lead to abuse of authority and even exposing their dirty linen to the public. Like what happened to a certain journalist who has attacked by the Liberal Party to force her to disclose the sources of her article about a "Crime Lord" who paid for BBL payola.

Read here the full story. Liberal Party Lawmakers Bully Journalist.

I see the hand of China in this issue. Despite the fact that this Wang Bo character is "wanted" by the Chinese government for illegal gambling activities on the Chinese mainland, I wouldn't be surprised if he acting on behalf of the Chinese government.

For one, what does Wang Bo have to gain by the passage of the BBL? He's Chinese. So why would he want to be involved in something that doesn't concern him? And yet, he's providing the Liberal party large amounts to help Malacanang get the BBL passed. Makes you wonder what his agenda is.

And the reaction of the ruling party to bully the investigative reporter appears that the reporter's article is spot on. If there was no basis to the reporter's article, the ruling party would have simply ignored her. By putting pressure on her to reveal her sources, the Administration is obviously disturbed by her report. Meaning that the report is accurate.

I believe that passage of the BBL will fragment the Philippines. It would be easier for China to deal with a fragmented nation that with a nation that is solidly united. I believe China is now involving itself in Philippine affairs in a bid to weaken/undermine the nation.

I do hope the BBL isn't passed. The idea that a Chinese national is involved in its passage is an indication that the Chinese hope to gain something with the passage of the BBL.

My two cents worth...

Detainees with multiple cases, they were chained together instead of handcuffed because the MPD was shorthanded during an event.

As they were lead to exit the premises, a photographer chanced upon them. Hello CHR, Napolcom, DILG

Sorry, but who are these people?

It is different, however, when a central voice controls what is being "sold" in the market. This is the case of networks who essentially have control over the content of whatever they broadcast. In this media platform, ideas are not exchanged; rather, they are conveyed. I use the term "networks" as a proxy for all kinds of media in this form (television, print, radio, etc.). The people can show interest in a lot of things, but networks can select which among these to convey. In a different scenario, networks can even take an uninteresting thing and convey that it is what now interests people. Though it was not true when it was first conveyed, it eventually becomes true because people will begin to take interest in

Case in point: ice water bucket challenge. Local media was quick to capitalize on this international fad which, at least to me, was moronic and a waste of time.

This wouldn't have been a bad idea if it was implemented in Pakistan today where about a thousand people have died because of an intense heat wave.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe "social conditioning" is the best definition of the power of the media today.

Bingo!! Media conditions the minds of people all over the world. In this sense, Media is a very powerful instrument which can be very dangerous if left in the hands of irresponsible or criminally minded individuals.

exactly the point I made earlier in the thread.

Mainstream media is stupid because the people want stupid. Sure major networks can easily produce thought provoking content, but will people watch it? Will the same people who watch "it's showtime" or PBB, watch a show about astrophysics?

If absolutely nobody watched telenovelas or reality TV, then the networks would stop airing them and shift to a different type of content. Garbage in, garbage out.

Both definitely influence one another, people want content, and media provides the content they want to see. Media definitely exerts more of an influence because of its reach, whereas people are content to just go with the flow, like pack animals.

Now we have two kinds of media, mainstream media and social media, and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regard to how they influence people. Both are influencers and both have massive reach, but the extent to which they influence you is very different.

exactly the point I made earlier in the thread.

Mainstream media is stupid because the people want stupid. Sure major networks can easily produce thought provoking content, but will people watch it? Will the same people who watch "it's showtime" or PBB, watch a show about astrophysics?

If absolutely nobody watched telenovelas or reality TV, then the networks would stop airing them and shift to a different type of content. Garbage in, garbage out.

Both definitely influence one another, people want content, and media provides the content they want to see. Media definitely exerts more of an influence because of its reach, whereas people are content to just go with the flow, like pack animals.

Now we have two kinds of media, mainstream media and social media, and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regard to how they influence people. Both are influencers and both have massive reach, but the extent to which they influence you is very different.

Media does little to uplift the masses. It panders to what the masses want. Bottom line is profit. If media airs content about astrophysics, history, the latest developments in medicine, and other matters dealing with science and engineering, very few people would watch these since they are unschooled and won't understand what is being aired.

That's why we have cable television which caters to those who are educated. History Channel, Discovery Channel, NatGeo, etc. are television stations which interest people who have completed a formal education (college level at least). The majority of the masses will never watch these stations even if they're aired for free because they can't relate to the program content. They simply won't understand what they're watching even if the content is dubbed in Filipino.

• Like (+1) 2

cable is trash too

History channel, Discovery, NatGeo all air different versions of the same worthless pawnshop/finders/auction show (i don't really care that that letter opener was used by a famous confederate general), which also airs for ratings.

There's not much difference between network shows and cable shows nowadays. Point is mainstream media is driven by what the consumer wants. Garbage in, garbage out.

You can point to a lot of reasons for that, the quality of education (I've visited public schools recently and there were gross misspellings in their classrooms, not to mention English teachers who aren't articulate at all), values formation in the home, etc.

Fix that, and the audience becomes more sophisticated, making media content more sophisticated as well.

• Like (+1) 1

You can point to a lot of reasons for that, the quality of education (I've visited public schools recently and there were gross misspellings in their classrooms, not to mention English teachers who aren't articulate at all), values formation in the home, etc.

This is so unfortunate especially to the students who will be affected by the kind of education system in the public school. Lack of training of teachers, not sufficient instructional materials, lack of facilities etc, are only a few problems so to speak...