Dc And Marvel Universe

maganda ba..sana me nag post na sa net para mapanood ko na rin dito sa opis...hehehe

Well, kakapanood ko lang sa kanya today.. It was a good film, but if you compare this to Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, this was kinda sub-par.. The Animated Iron Man cartoon in DVD was similar, if I would rank the Marvel animated films..

The cartoon was not very true to the comicbook.. Stephen Strange did start as an arrogant doctor who sought the help of the Ancient One to repair his hands, but Baron Mordo (one of Strange's early nemesis) did not start as Dormammu's servant.. Still, the storyline of the cartoon was enough give Dr. Strange's origin some nice punch to it..

The drawings were kinda manga-ish, IMO.. But passable (I am not much a fan of manga art)..

One more let down was the Bonus Features presented at the back of the DVD was not featured in the disc.. It only had the trailer of the movie.. There were no languages or subtitles in the menu buttons.. <_<

Still, this is a nice film for the Marvel collector, like myself.. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by revi
Better pick up those old issues kasi baka maubos na. Regarding Romita Jr's art eh passable naman sa akin.

Hintayin ko yung re-issue ng Number 1, yung Number 3 marami pa. Pero yung Number 4 ang di ko sure kung mayroon pa.

For me, I really hated the penciling of John Romita Jr. Kahit noon pa, kung hindi lang maganda yung story ng X-men eh hindi ko bibilhin yung issue.

Maganda yung covers ng World War Hulk, pero sa loob ang pamatay ni John Romita Jr, ayaw ko nga yung variants ng cover na sya na ang artist.

For me, I really hated the penciling of John Romita Jr. Kahit noon pa, kung hindi lang maganda yung story ng X-men eh hindi ko bibilhin yung issue.

haha.. Hindi pala ako nag-iisa.. I also don't like JRJR's art.. That is the reason why I almost did not pick up the Eternals mini-series (around last year).. Kung hindi lang ito sinulat ni Neil Gaiman, hindi ko ito kinuha eh..

One more artist that I don't like is Mark Bagley.. Too cartoonish, IMO.. And ofcourse, ang walang kamatayang si Rob Liefeld.. hehehe..

But I would still get the series if the storyline is done by a notable writer or if the reviews are good and espeically if it is part of a major storyline.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I for one like JRJr's art. It's very stylized yet not toosloppy like Liefeld's. I liked his run on Daredevil all those years ago. His style is like a cleaner (read: cartoony) version of Frank Miller's.

agree with your opinion on Bagley. His art sucks. I don't think it's cartoonish, more like it's done lazily. His style is just too boring and not dynamic enough.

Thing is I will *NEVER* pick up a Liefeld art even if the story is that breath-takingly good.

quote name='revi' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:39 PM' post='5077187']

haha.. Hindi pala ako nag-iisa.. I also don't like JRJR's art.. That is the reason why I almost did not pick up the Eternals mini-series (around last year).. Kung hindi lang ito sinulat ni Neil Gaiman, hindi ko ito kinuha eh..

One more artist that I don't like is Mark Bagley.. Too cartoonish, IMO.. And ofcourse, ang walang kamatayang si Rob Liefeld.. hehehe..

But I would still get the series if the storyline is done by a notable writer or if the reviews are good and espeically if it is part of a major storyline.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I have the same sentiments w/u regarding Liefeld's art but I like Romita Jr and Bagley's art. For me Bagley is made for Spider-Man. Not the perfect fit but I like his Spidey rendition. By the way, I'm speaking about his early days especially the Carnage-Venom era.

In the case of Romita Jr I admit that his characters seems to have a squared face all the time but what I like about his art is the simpleness. Like they say: "Different strokes for different folks." :)

By the way these are the titles that I've picked up this week:

post-109019-1196444965.jpg

Countdown # 30 - Still not living up to it's hype, some tie-ins to the Black canary/Green Arrow wedding, a split "personality" of Jimmy Olsen and the tireless and ho-hum travels of the Challengers Of The Beyond joined by The Jokester. The only good story out of Countdown is Mary marvel's story and I can't remember if it was included in this issue. Is it me or the art really sucks for Countdown? I know 52 has a rotating cast of artists too but it's much better than Countdown. :thumbsdownsmiley:

post-109019-1196446275.jpg

Crime Bible: The Five Lessons Of Blood # 2 - This was a steaming issue filled w/Lust. The mystery deepens as the new Question continues to search for the Crime Bible and the fact that she's been allowed to do what she wanted on this issue.

post-109019-1196446333.jpg

First Born # 3 - The most important story in Topcow's current state and it concluded decently. This is a good pick-up before Darkness # 1 is released. The art on this series is awesome! :thumbsupsmiley:

post-109019-1196446585.jpg

Batman # 671 - An unusual team-up and a revelation between Ra's Al Ghul and The Sensei! Batman getting schooled (!) and getting his arm broken. This is a great action pack issue and the art is good. :thumbsupsmiley:

post-109019-1196447093.jpg

X-Men # 205 - Messiah Complex continues and we're treated to a fight between the Marauders and the X-Men. Wolverine Vs. Gambit! The issue shows a way to k*ll Wolverine although that scene wasn't clear who pulled it off. Then the return of...

post-109019-1196447440.jpg

Green Lantern Corps # 18 - It's Ion Vs. Superman Prime! The battle of a Superman lite and a Superman wannabe. it's a total slugfest and it rocks! My only complain is the flashback scenes kasi nakakabitin. The issue has 2 artists but it wasn't a factor at all to diminish the art qualities. Let's see the finale on Green lantern # 25! :thumbsupsmiley:

I passed on the eternals solely because of JRJR...Neil Gaiman is good, but he's not his best when it comes to superheroes. Was tempted to pick up WW Hulk, but after looking at issue 1, decided i just couldn't stand it.

Mark Bagley, for me, was better a few years ago than now. The same can be said of Chris Bachalo. I wish marvel would stop giving him X-men pencilling jobs. You can't distinguish the background from the foreground the way he draws now. I much preferred him when he was still doing Vertigo.

Other pencillers i hate: Andy Kubert, Igor Kordey, and Frank Miller's latest works.

Strangely enough, i kinda like Rob Liefeld's work. It's so bad, it's become its own joke!

I for one like JRJr's art. It's very stylized yet not toosloppy like Liefeld's. I liked his run on Daredevil all those years ago. His style is like a cleaner (read: cartoony) version of Frank Miller's.

agree with your opinion on Bagley. His art sucks. I don't think it's cartoonish, more like it's done lazily. His style is just too boring and not dynamic enough.

Thing is I will *NEVER* pick up a Liefeld art even if the story is that breath-takingly good.

Yup, masyadong "OVER" yung ART. Muscles are TOO BIG.

Mas gusto ko yung art ni Brett Booth.

I passed on the eternals solely because of JRJR...Neil Gaiman is good, but he's not his best when it comes to superheroes. Was tempted to pick up WW Hulk, but after looking at issue 1, decided i just couldn't stand it.

Mark Bagley, for me, was better a few years ago than now. The same can be said of Chris Bachalo. I wish marvel would stop giving him X-men pencilling jobs. You can't distinguish the background from the foreground the way he draws now. I much preferred him when he was still doing Vertigo.

Other pencillers i hate: Andy Kubert, Igor Kordey, and Frank Miller's latest works.

Strangely enough, i kinda like Rob Liefeld's work. It's so bad, it's become its own joke!

Ur right regarding Bagley and Bachalo and that's the point where I liked both their works. Bagley's run on Amazing Spider-Man and Bachalo's run on Generation X were the best. I haven't had a chance to read any Vertigo stuff by Bachalo but since he made it before Generation X I'd bet the art was great on that run.

I like one of the Kubert's brother's art, I just don't know who's doing it. :upside: While I haven't seen any Miller and (especially) Kordey work.

On the case of Liefeld, he creates a great impression for first timers but then again... :thumbsdownsmiley:

I will never know how Rob Liefeld came to be so famous

1) he doesn't know how to draw feet, they're either too long or grossly out of proportion

2) his characters always have this intense look on their faces, baring their 12,000 teeth

3) proportion. he knows this not.

4) bad bad bad character designs

5) he has a fetish for pouches that have absolutely no purpose

proof

1.teeth

http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/niven/142/img/tp0302.jpg

2. proportion

http://i.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/livestock~thelandwithoutspines.jpg

http://adlo.dreamers.com/weblog/capnekkid.jpg

that was swiped from this Arnie pose

http://www.martonaron.hu/~prog/Arnold%20Swarzenegger/POSE13.JPG

except that he doesn't know how to work perspectives.

3. just random crappy stuff

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0785113746.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

that's super roid cable in case you didn't know

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/NEWMUTANTSDEADPOOL.JPG/383px-NEWMUTANTSDEADPOOL.JPG

WTF IS WRONG WITH DEADPOOL'S LEGS!? did they atrophy?

I recently decided to get the series Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash.. hahaha.. Lots of gore as expected.. Was beginning to lose hope that I won't be able to get a #1 issue of this series.. Lo and Behold! May biglang dumating sa aking comic shop.. hahaha.. The one who ordered it decided not to get it daw.. hahaha.. His loss.. My gain!!! Got the Freddy cover.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I can't wait for Marvel's Skrull Invasion to start.. Gastos na naman ito.. hahaha.. :rolleyes:

Edited by revi
I recently decided to get the series Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash.. hahaha.. Lots of gore as expected.. Was beginning to lose hope that I won't be able to get a #1 issue of this series.. Lo and Behold! May biglang dumating sa aking comic shop.. hahaha.. The one who ordered it decided not to get it daw.. hahaha.. His loss.. My gain!!! Got the Freddy cover.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I can't wait for Marvel's Skrull Invasion to start.. Gastos na naman ito.. hahaha.. :rolleyes:

I've thought of getting that series but decided not to. Pero indi ako yung nagback-out sa reservation ha! :)

Just wanna share my thoughts on some books I've read this week please be warned na may mga spoilers.

post-109019-1197234114.jpg

Booster Gold # 4

This issue had some nods for old readers particularly the old Booster Gold series. I'm disappointed how the Flashes were portrayed because they were portrayed as slowpokes. The identity behind Supernova was revealed. Fans of Back To The Future movie should pick this up because of Booster, Rip and Skeets' time travel adventures. Geoff Johns and Jeff Katz prove their DC knowledge history as the series progresses and it's nice. I just don't get it why did Rip told Booster that Batgirl should be leading the Justice League instead of Black Canary. Let's see how does the next issue play out as Johns and Katz pays tribute to Batman: The Killing Joke.

post-109019-1197234132.jpg

Justice League Of America # 15

It's the Justice League Vs. The Injustice League! The art is still awesome although the story kinda feels short. Some rants: Cheetah trying to k*ll Dr. Light? That was weird and she could've fled w/him first then when she thinks they're safe then it's time to murder the good doctor. I also don't get it w/Vixen returning Superman's powers. She ain't like Parasite or something because she got Supe's powers just by getting near. What gives? Kendra's injury was not evident also although I like the exchange of dialogue between her and Red Arrow. And the "savior" of the issue joins the League in the end.

post-109019-1197234153.jpg

Justice Society Of America # 11

Solid art by Dale Eaglesham although the meeting between the two Superman was a let down and yet it was hyped last issue. Some Japanese supervillains were brought in so that the JSA can flex their muscles but this issue was a 50/50 for me because I was expecting a different meeting between Kingdom Come Superman and New Earth Superman. Still there are some points that got me interested particularly what was revealed by the treadmill scene and the mystery behind the dead villain.

post-109019-1197234169.jpg

Robin # 169

Nothing happens too much in this issue except for Robin's temptations in resurrecting his loved ones in exchange of joining Ra's Al Ghul. I enjoyed the "handshake" but the art was a little bit cartoony. This was a letdown and was a set-up for the Nightwing Vs Robin rumble (I hope).

post-109019-1197234183.jpg

Sensational Spider-Man # 41

Finally, issue # 3 of the arc (One More Day) is out. I just don't get it w/Spider-Man hitching a ride from a person he doesn't know. I mean you don't go w/strangers right away, right? But I guess he's completely confident he can handle anything and that his spidersense doesn't trigger. Or maybe the fact that he's not himself and was obsessed of saving his dying aunt. Mephisto was a surprise and Joe Quesada has drawn him very well! Can't wait for the conclusion! :)

post-109019-1197234199.jpg

Uncanny X-Men # 493

Great action at the mansion! The art was also awesome compared to what I've seen before from Billy Tan. No progress w/the baby but I doubt that the Sentinel attacks were caused by Cable. Cable seems to be the traitor that's being portrayed in the series but I doubt it. I have faint hint that the villain here is Professor X or some sort. And it seems X-Force was a really kept secret (between Cyclops and wolverine at least) because Wolverine knows what to do the moment Cyclops told him to get the team (X-Force) ready so for those of you who will pick up X-Force next year this is a key issue for you and besides this series is hot and 2nd printings keep on coming. Messiah Complex is really kicking ass so far!

post-109019-1197234214.jpg

X-Men: Die By The Sword # 1

I just got this series' first issue and you really need to be a follower of Excalibur to know what's going on preferably the House Of M period. Nothing special in this issue but I'll follow this because I'm looking forward to New Exiles next year.

@khumpleetist: The Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash #1 and #2 are kinda hard to find na eh.. Medyo mataas na din sa e-bay ang bentahan sa mga ito.. Especially the #1 (all three covers).. The Horror/Zombies-themed comicbooks are kinda forming some steam.. haha.. Thanks to Marvel Zombies, I guess..

The Rise of Ra's Al Ghul storyline has been one hell of a ride.. But the Nightwing and Robin writers are a let down.. Grant Morrison should have written the whole story arc.. :rolleyes:

I've also decided to get Vertigo's Northlanders, Bro.. All issues are sold out in Filbars and in Comic Odyssey.. Vikings are not really common in the comic book world and it seems pretty original (when I read some previews on it).. Plus its written by Brian Wood (of DMZ fame).. Got two copies.. haha.. Violent and Fun!!!

I also got the Twelve #0.. Although, I haven't read it talaga.. But I browsed through it already.. And I can't wait for issue #1.. :rolleyes:

@khumpleetist: The Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash #1 and #2 are kinda hard to find na eh.. Medyo mataas na din sa e-bay ang bentahan sa mga ito.. Especially the #1 (all three covers).. The Horror/Zombies-themed comicbooks are kinda forming some steam.. haha.. Thanks to Marvel Zombies, I guess..

The Rise of Ra's Al Ghul storyline has been one hell of a ride.. But the Nightwing and Robin writers are a let down.. Grant Morrison should have written the whole story arc.. :rolleyes:

I've also decided to get Vertigo's Northlanders, Bro.. All issues are sold out in Filbars and in Comic Odyssey.. Vikings are not really common in the comic book world and it seems pretty original (when I read some previews on it).. Plus its written by Brian Wood (of DMZ fame).. Got two copies.. haha.. Violent and Fun!!!

I also got the Twelve #0.. Although, I haven't read it talaga.. But I browsed through it already.. And I can't wait for issue #1.. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Marvel Zombies :). I've never been able to research FvsJvsA but I felt it's value will rise when I heard about it and congratulations, I think you got a winner. And if you're into that genre, I'd recommend these by February:

Locke & Key # 1

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1

Halloween: Night Dance # 1

I have my share of these horror/zombie trend it's just that I havent purchased them. I've reserved Awakening and Killing Pickman.

I agree w/you that Grant Morrison should've written Ra's Al Ghul's story, this series is a let down for me because of what you pointed out and the Robin series is the worst :thumbsdownsmiley:

I had plans on getting Northlanders because of the review too and even The Twelve but I made up my new year's resolution early to get less comic books even if it's hard to resist. :blush:

Thanks to Marvel Zombies :). I've never been able to research FvsJvsA but I felt it's value will rise when I heard about it and congratulations, I think you got a winner. And if you're into that genre, I'd recommend these by February:

Locke & Key # 1

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1

Halloween: Night Dance # 1

I am a fan of horror movies kasi bro eh.. I still remember when a comic book of A Nightmare of Elm Street first came out (that was in 1987).. Inggit na inggit ako sa ka-klase ko (my best friend actually).. It was on a magazine format, I forgot the publishing company.. It was a rendition of all the films..

Its my first time to buy a horror-themed comic book.. Masyadong madami lumalabas, nakakahilo na eh.. I decided to get the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash because I felt that it had to be cool much like the movie, Freddy vs. Jason.. The reason why I think its value has a big chance of rising is that there are hardcore fans of these characters.. What more if there are 3 top billing horror characters in one comicbook.. Especially, Ash.. Coz the Evil Dead series is considered a cult horror classic..

And thanks for the recos.. I would certainly go on to research them.. Locke and Key looks nice..

I have my share of these horror/zombie trend it's just that I havent purchased them. I've reserved Awakening and Killing Pickman.

This is the first time I heard of these titles, bro.. I googled them, and I like what I read in the Awakening.. Might be a good plot for a future movie storyline..

I had plans on getting Northlanders because of the review too and even The Twelve but I made up my new year's resolution early to get less comic books even if it's hard to resist. :blush:

hahaha.. Lessen your "pambababae" pare.. hahaha.. That is a better New Year's resolution.. hahaha... Just kidding, bro!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I am a fan of horror movies kasi bro eh.. I still remember when a comic book of A Nightmare of Elm Street first came out (that was in 1987).. Inggit na inggit ako sa ka-klase ko (my best friend actually).. It was on a magazine format, I forgot the publishing company.. It was a rendition of all the films..

Its my first time to buy a horror-themed comic book.. Masyadong madami lumalabas, nakakahilo na eh.. I decided to get the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash because I felt that it had to be cool much like the movie, Freddy vs. Jason.. The reason why I think its value has a big chance of rising is that there are hardcore fans of these characters.. What more if there are 3 top billing horror characters in one comicbook.. Especially, Ash.. Coz the Evil Dead series is considered a cult horror classic..

And thanks for the recos.. I would certainly go on to research them.. Locke and Key looks nice..

This is the first time I heard of these titles, bro.. I googled them, and I like what I read in the Awakening.. Might be a good plot for a future movie storyline..

hahaha.. Lessen your "pambababae" pare.. hahaha.. That is a better New Year's resolution.. hahaha... Just kidding, bro!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Oh, so ur a fan pala. I'm a fan too but I'm more on those biblical themed horror suspense movies and not into zombie themed ones although a friend of mine is an avid fan of any horror movie so I'm getting the hang of it esepcially slasher themed movies.

I agree w/you on Locke and Key. It looks nice and I have my money on the Halloween: Night Dance.

I wasn't really that intrigued w/Awakening compared to Killing Pickman and I never knew that it's a horror themed comic but the art seems nice and I hope it delivers when I purchase them. :)

Hahaha. I'll try to lessen it bro. Lessen lang ha and not get rid of it. Hahahaha!