Diet

this post may be OT but I need help.

I am working my shift at night, given so, I am a Call Center peep. I've been trying to workout and at least create a lean body, just for health's sake. I stand 5'10 tall and i weigh 155-160 lbs. [haven't checked yet]

I cannot seem to formulate an effective way to at least burn and loose my side flabs. I believe these are because of an irregularity on my eating habit. I seldom eat at 9PM {my usual start of the day}, eat meals at around 4AM [Lunch break] and follow up with some crackers each time I get hungry. Then the next meal would be 12NN before I go to sleep. My rice intake is already as advised before. I can only go for as high as 1 cup of rice per meal.

My work starts at 11 PM and ends at 8 AM. after work, I go downstairs to workout for at least 2 - 3 hours maximum. Inclusive of an hour Cardio and 2 hours for weightlifting and toning.

There are still occasional drinking sessions but were only done during my days off.

Please advise. I hope I can solve this matter.

Thank you.

actually for your height (5'10") your weight is perfectly fine(155 to 160 lbs) assuming that you have a large frame and proportionate body shape. your Body Mass Index is considered healthy and it ranges from 23-24 BMI. try not to hit 174 lbs ok? You have a vigorous exercise regimen (1hr cardio 2 hrs weight lifting). is this workout after your shifts? Well, based from your routine doing night shift job, assuming you have a large frame and good shape (sorry i haven't seen you yet) your number of calories to maintain your weight is roughly around 2640-2800. but i'm concern about your daily eating habbits because it changes since you start working right? generally speaking, your body is also adapting with your new eating skeds and it might also change your metabolic rate. wEbStAr and hardtohandle are right. try to eat more protein and colorful meal. avoid fastfoods if possible and drink vitamins and minerals everyday and drink more than 8 glasses of water a day. don't starve yourself or skip meals it will affect your metabolic rate. hope this help. ciao!

Edited by freezer
divide your meals into 5..small portions lng..eat every 2 to 3 hours. do not starve yourself...before i weigh 113 kgs.. afte 3 and halft months, 82kgs na lng.. sinabayan k din ng gym..i eat everything i want bsta in moderation lng...

Congratulations to you mr.john. The key is not to restrict calories abruptly to unreasonable figures as what some would recommend but balance calorie consumption in constant hourly intervals within the day. And I'm sure you's agree that hitting the gym was a big factor. More progress to you man.

Hey share your insights about this..

Merging thread Rice to the Occasion with the Diet Thread.

Threadstarter wants to know if "nakakataba talaga ang kanin" and that discussion logically falls under this thread.

Reasonable amount of rice wont make you fat. 1 cup would be ideal. If you can switch to brown rice the better. Avoid rice on the last meal of the day. Do not restrict just regulate. You might want to consider excercising as well.

To add to Jaques' advice:

Eat slowly as well. It takes time for your stomach to send messages to your brain that you've had enough. Measure your rice, like 1 cup so that you can budget your meal portions. Rice will not make you fat, we Pinoys just tend to over consume it. Eating too much of anything is not good, not just rice. The American diet have very little rice, but they tend to get bigger than us Pinoys. Maybe too much burger and fries?

Rice is carbs but we need carbs for energy. Brown rice, I agree is a better carb than white polished rice.

I personally am not a fan of the Atkins diet where they take almost zero carbs. A few friends of mine who went on that diet did lose weight, but they looked pretty haggard and dry. While an officemate who started on his wieght loss program by doing regular exercise, and started regulating his food intake managed to lose 3 inches already on his waistline in 2 months. He was also told that he "looked a few years younger". :cool: I'm proud to have encouraged him into it. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to you mr.john. The key is not to restrict calories abruptly to unreasonable figures as what some would recommend but balance calorie consumption in constant hourly intervals within the day. And I'm sure you's agree that hitting the gym was a big factor. More progress to you man.

tnx mr jacquess .. ang problem ko po ngaun kuya is ung tiyan k kc dati ang laki...so after nung pumayat ako..lumiit ung tiyan ko..pero nag sag ung skin ng tiyan ko..ang lambot na ng tiyan ko..what will i do? may solution pa po ba? tnx po..

Fix your eating habits first.

I also work on night shifts, maybe you can try my routine. I usually have my dinner at 7 p.m.(before going to work) 1 cup of rice max, more on protein and vegies. Next meal is around 3 a.m. half rice na lang cguro then protein and vegies ulit. then as much as possible wala ng kasunod na meal. Though its day time, its our time to rest na so our body is slow in digesting what we took in. Then eto important, no in between meals. If you want to eat fruits like apple and orange or crackers. Then if you're hungry before you sleep. Milo na lang then water. (Note:As much as possible, avoid drinking cold water, nakakataba din kasi.)

Work out: Have you tried boxing? Ok sya as in total body work out. Then concentrate more on abdominal exercises.

By the way, more discipline on drinking. Kung makakaiwas mas ok. Just my two cents.

Hope this helps! :thumbsupsmiley:

Bro, where did you get this kind of diet?!?! sorry, but your eating habit is VERY HORRIBLE...and with regard to drinking COLD water, I havent heard anything about this, WATER IS WATER, whether you drink it cold, hot or lukewarm the composition of its nutrients will be the same.

Edited by Sl@MDuNk_Mitsui14
Bro, where did you get this kind of diet?!?! sorry, but your eating habit is VERY HORRIBLE...and with regard to drinking COLD water, I havent heard anything about this, WATER IS WATER, whether you drink it cold, hot or lukewarm the composition of its nutrients will be the same.

yup! i also agree! water is still Water! either cold or hot...also there must be in between your meals...dpt every 2 to 3 hours kumakain..

yup! i also agree! water is still Water! either cold or hot...also there must be in between your meals...dpt every 2 to 3 hours kumakain..

And what bothered me the most was when he said that he eats at 7PM (with 1 cup of rice!) and his next meal is at 3AM (with half a cup of rice!) that's 8 hours of not eating anything!! and to make matters worse, he advised not to eat anything after his 3AM meal except for a cup of "milo" before going to bed....this diet is totally the opposite of what you should actually do.

Fix your eating habits first.

I also work on night shifts, maybe you can try my routine. I usually have my dinner at 7 p.m.(before going to work) 1 cup of rice max, more on protein and vegies. Next meal is around 3 a.m. half rice na lang cguro then protein and vegies ulit. then as much as possible wala ng kasunod na meal. Though its day time, its our time to rest na so our body is slow in digesting what we took in. Then eto important, no in between meals. If you want to eat fruits like apple and orange or crackers. Then if you're hungry before you sleep. Milo na lang then water. (Note:As much as possible, avoid drinking cold water, nakakataba din kasi.)

Work out: Have you tried boxing? Ok sya as in total body work out. Then concentrate more on abdominal exercises.

By the way, more discipline on drinking. Kung makakaiwas mas ok. Just my two cents.

Hope this helps! :thumbsupsmiley:

Id call this a suicide diet.

Dude you need to LESS MORE OFTEN. In fact, 4-6 small meals a day is recommended... so when you do that, the term "eating between meals" becomes meaningless since youre not bound to the traditional breakfast lunch dinner. That also means you eat every 4 to 6 hours a day ... in your current diet plan, you go for a stretch of 8 hours without eating anything. Thats starving yourself and actually, when you do that, your body thinks that food has become unavailable and instead of burning fat, it stores fat as a self preservation mechanism.

The eating between meals thingy, IMHO is a myth perpetuated by mothers who didnt want their kids to snack too much .... :lol:

If youre on a diet... MILO is probably the last thing you wanna drink :rolleyes:; not that Milo is bad but its chockful of calories and fat that you dont need. Caveat on fruits -- too much fruit means too much sugar... and that isnt good for you too. Crackers, too, if not the correct kind, will be loaded with salt and carbs... stuff you dont need.

Oh and one more thing ... how can you gain weight by drinking something that has zero calories - also known as WATER?

:blink:

Edited by Wyld

another follow up question? why is it bad to drink COLD water? i thought ICE COLD WATER is better since it will require more energy/calories for the stomach to somehow process it. i apologize if i dont know the correct term. but all my life, I was thought that water is good for people on a diet. and cold water is better too according to some article i read at www.bodybuilding.com

another follow up question? why is it bad to drink COLD water? i thought ICE COLD WATER is better since it will require more energy/calories for the stomach to somehow process it. i apologize if i dont know the correct term. but all my life, I was thought that water is good for people on a diet. and cold water is better too according to some article i read at www.bodybuilding.com

Di ako nakatiis, I asked my trainer this. He said cold water is better since you expend more calories processing it -- to get it to body temp and all that.

:D

In addition, for those of us that are really active, cold water makes it more appealing to re-hydrate ourselves. Most of us are chronically dehydrated even when not active or working out. Proper hydration is important to maintaining a good fitness level.

My take:

Eat less, more often.

Eat enough carbs to maintain a good glycogen level.

Eat complex carbs to maintain a stable glycogen level.

Eat less fat, more fiber.

Eat enough protein to maintain muscle mass.

Edited by manyaque