• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Diet

A high protein diet in the long run will cause Acidosis of the blood. Atkins suggests a diet which intructs you to consume food high in animal protein, like processed junk foods and many cooked foods all become acid in the body. Acidosis of the blood occurs when the body is overly acidic and has lost its alkaline reserves. Normal blood ph level is 7.4. and when blood ph drops below the normal level (overly acidic state) the body is more susceptible to illness and disease.

The following are symptoms of acidosis:  insomnia, water retention, migraines, constipation with diarrhea, burning sensation of the tongue and mouth, halitosis (bad breath), lightheadedness, fainting and nausea.

acids, all of which can be countered by adding lotsa fruits in ur diet... and animal fat aint junk

the bad breath associated with lo-carb diets is due to the ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism, which means all that fat in ur gut is getting burned off) that are excreted thru ur mouth... this is completely normal (ever notice why ur breath stinks ryt after waking up? ur body used ur fats to live thru the night) and ketones are readily excreted thru urine... (read: not harmful at all!)

and as for the heart attack issue, bodybuilders have been using variations of the high-protein diet for ages (how else can u get that big?) now, and yet have u ever heard of a stroke epidemic among bodybuilders?

for more info: t-nation.com

acids, all of which can be countered by adding lotsa fruits in ur diet... and animal fat aint junk

the bad breath associated with lo-carb diets is due to the ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism, which means all that fat in ur gut is getting burned off) that are excreted thru ur mouth... this is completely normal (ever notice why ur breath stinks ryt after waking up? ur body used ur fats to live thru the night) and ketones are readily excreted thru urine... (read: not harmful at all!)

and as for the heart attack issue, bodybuilders have been using variations of the high-protein diet for ages (how else can u get that big?) now, and yet have u ever heard of a stroke epidemic among bodybuilders?

for more info: t-nation.com

Atkins allows you to consume animal fat which is high in LDL (Bad Cholesterol). Anything in excess is bad for your body, and a high protein diet in the LONG RUN is no exception.

Atkins allows you to consume animal fat which is high in LDL (Bad Cholesterol). Anything in excess is bad for your body, and a high protein diet in the LONG RUN is no exception.

i know, but DIETARY CHOLESTEROL BY ITSELF HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL... now if ur eating animal fat all the time, smoking, drinking and sleeping, you WILL definitely increase ur blood cholesterol levels... and another thing, BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS HAVE NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO DIRECTLY INCREASE THE RISK OF HEART ATTACKS... if u have a published scientific study that says otherwise, id love to see it :goatee:

Edited by spitzky

LDL (bad) cholesterol--the main source of cholesterol buildup and blockage in the arteries.

In general, the higher your LDL level and the more risk factors you have , the greater your chances of developing heart disease or having a heart attack.

Despite whatever drawbacks Atkin's diet may be, although when I did the diet I didn't feel any of the side effects, it truly works. I went and did the Atkin's and in the process lossed 30 lbs, from 230 down to 200 just from the diet alone. Although I did become very irritable during the first week. I did modify the Atkins a little by going on a very high protein, low fat, low carb diet. I stayed away from bread, rice, and all sorts of pasta/noodles for about 1 month and lost around 18 lbs.

Afterwards I started doing some walking and workouts for around a year (stopped for about a year na) and lossed an additional 20 lbs. The thing with Atkins is to do it for a short while and supplement with exercise. After a while you go back to your regular diet again.

Be prepared though to find that with rapid weight loss means loose skin ergo the exercise. But it worked pretty well for me. I'm still maintaining my 180 - 185 lb built with only a little care in the diet dept. Some walking and biking takes care of the occasional binges I do.

i know, but DIETARY CHOLESTEROL BY ITSELF HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL... now if ur eating animal fat all the time, smoking, drinking and sleeping, you WILL definitely increase ur blood cholesterol levels... and another thing, BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS HAVE NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO DIRECTLY INCREASE THE RISK OF HEART ATTACKS... if u have a published scientific study that says otherwise, id love to see it  :goatee:

from the national cholesterol education program:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/wyntk.htm

How Does Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease?

When there is too much cholesterol (a fat-like substance) in your blood, it builds up in the walls of your arteries. Over time, this buildup causes "hardening of the arteries" so that arteries become narrowed and blood flow to the heart is slowed down or blocked. The blood carries oxygen to the heart, and if enough blood and oxygen cannot reach your heart, you may suffer chest pain. If the blood supply to a portion of the heart is completely cut off by a blockage, the result is a heart attack.

What Is Your Risk of Developing Heart Disease or Having a Heart Attack?

In general, the higher your LDL level and the more risk factors you have (other than LDL), the greater your chances of developing heart disease or having a heart attack. Some people are at high risk for a heart attack because they already have heart disease. Other people are at high risk for developing heart disease because they have diabetes (which is a strong risk factor) or a combination of risk factors for heart disease. Follow these steps to find out your risk for developing heart disease.

Edited by macx98
Well I heard once that it really cuts down your weight, and fast. But the downside is, its extremely atherogenic... meaning it might get u a heart disease and probably a heart attach eventually.I think I read somewhere that when Atkins was asked bout this, he said the diet is to get thin not to get healthy or something to that effect.

the founder of the atkins diet died recently of a heart attack :boo:

i tried south beach. first phase lang walang carbs and puro protein. pero eventually you re-introduce carbs again into your diet pero good carbs. carbs that are rich in fiber. basta may list ng bawal kainin based on their glycemic index.

its hard lang kasi most of the available food is carbs e. hirap pa masanay kumain ng ulam pinoy na walang rice, like adobo, nilaga, sinigang....haaaay!

the thing is, the exact cause of heart disease is still a big mystery... and cholesterol is simply the scapegoat... i mean, we need sumthing to blame dont we? and if government institutions reveal the truth (that cholesterol is simply a scapegoat), big drug companies will lose big money from anti-cholesterol drugs... which in turn will mean lesser campaign contributions to congressmen, senators... so u see, this whole issue not only involves science but a whole lotta politics too... so take everything w/a grain of salt :goatee:

i lost 10 pounds on phase one of south beach diet, which lasted 2 weeks.  effective talaga kaya lang susunget ka kasi gustong gusto mo na kumain ng kainin at tinapay kaya lang d pwede!  parang ang tagal tagal ng 2 weeks!

pinakamabilis talaga ang weightloss sa phase one. I've tried the Atkin's diet and it's pretty much the same thing. In the end it's all about trying to figure out how much carbs you can eat to maintain your ideal weight.