LA Lakers

The Lakers will definitely be over the cap next season ... it's just a question of how much. Has MONEY ever been a issue with the LAKERS? rolleyes.gif Will it be now considering that the Time Warner deal brings in $200M a year (on the average)? rolleyes.gif

But we can probably see some cost cutting measures. My bet is this wi; be the year that the lakers will amnesty a player and I think it will be MWP.

Pau will be an important piece in their summer moves He will be their Plan B if DH leaves, but if they are able to sign DH, I expect Mitch to actively find a taker for Pau. I think if ever, this trade will be critical as it may not only be a "salary dump" but most likely will also include a player or two that could help out this team win at a lower cost. SO the earlier DH commits, the better for the Lakers.

I think its not even an issue right now whether or not the Lakers want to re-sign him. The only question is whether the offer will be a Max contract or they want to get a slight discount because his kind of performance this season. wink.gif So DH12, do you wanna say adios amigos? rolleyes.gif IMHO DH would not leave $$ on the table specially if it pertains to that additional year most likely at the player's option.

Edited by fatchubs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

First just a small clarification, Lakers cable deal pays on the average $150M per year.

(You can check all these salary stats at Hoopshype.com)

LA's salary this season was $100,131,988

If they sign up Howard and keep similar level of salaries for the fringe players they'll need to fill up the roster then they'll be around $106M next year.

However, the year after that, the ONLY player under contract is Nash at 9M -- in addition to Howard (if he signs up and if Kobe does not re-sign with the Lakers and retires as he has indicated)

Which means they will be massively under the cap.

So, my two cents:

1. LA can take the hit on luxury tax penalties next year if they want to.

2. They're not trading Pau for a player with a long contract unless they see that player as a big part of LA's future.

3. If Howard signs up, what will LA do next year? They'll try again with basically the same core cast and pray that Kobe recovers quick enough to be playing at the same level he is playing now by the time they hit the playoffs.

Because the reset button for LA is not next year, it's the year after.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Kobe still be taken by the LA Team Owner next season? With 30.2M salary next year, I think Kobe is not worth that much anymore with the way he's playing lately.

without Kobe's Injury, or given he recovered from that injury, i would retain Kobe in my team, if I was the

owner... maganda nilalaro ni Kobe recently ma'am, na-injured lang talaga B)

i'm not a Kobe fan, but you've got to give the guy some credit...B)

Edited by jepoyskieLOVEbianca
1369316914[/url]' post='8690449']

Will Kobe still be taken by the LA Team Owner next season? With 30.2M salary next year, I think Kobe is not worth that much anymore with the way he's playing lately.

Kobe is still under contract for next season. Even if they amnesty him he still will get his pay. So better utilize him than put the 30m totally to waste.

Another option is to trade him ... But since kobe got a no trade clause, he has to approve it.

Edited by fatchubs
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote 4

Players salaries is not just about production, its also about how much money you bring in.

If you take out Kobe from the lakers, how much is loss of revenue from all the merchandise that he brings in? what will be the impact to ticket seat prices, much less attendance to games? I'm sure there's more revenue streams generated by Kobe's presence in LA.

When viewed from this perspective. $30M is probably a fair salary for Kobe

• Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/59783/latest-on-what-lakers-will-do-with-dwight?src=mobile

When word began to circulate Saturday that the Clippers have weighed offering Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe to their Staples Center co-tenants for Dwight Howard in a potential sign-and-trade swap after July 1, that naturally made folks wonder where the Lakers stand in their quest to re-sign Howard when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Here's the latest:

• The Lakers have had several discussions with Howard's representatives over the past few weeks and remain confident that they will ultimately keep him with the franchise, even as he's made it clear he will entertain other suitors.

• Yet the Lakers also, according to sources, have not completely ruled out the idea of a sign-and-trade if they come to find next month that Howard is determined to leave. Sources say they are indeed leaning against sign-and-trade scenarios because they'd rather bank the resultant cap space from Howard's departure for the summer of 2014. But sources say they've adopted a keep-all-options-open approach. So they'll at least listen to just about anything.

• One source with knowledge of the Lakers' thinking said Saturday that any suggestion they could not philosophically allow themselves to make a major trade with the Clippers was "overblown." If the Clippers do indeed decide to formally offer Griffin and Bledsoe in a sign-and-trade package for Howard, indications are that it's a proposal the Lakers will certainly not dismiss outright.

• The threat of the James Harden-led Rockets signing Howard away from L.A. is very real to the Lakers, sources said, which means the Lakers will eventually be getting a sign-and-trade pitch from Houston as well. The Rockets will have the cap space to sign Howard outright after the expected shedding of Thomas Robinson's contract, but sources say that the Rockets will certainly attempt to convince the Lakers to take in return Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin in a sign-and-trade deal for Howard, thus theoretically keeping alive the possibility that Houston could preserve its cap space to pursue Chris Paul and possibly pair Howard with Paul.

• Asik is a quality defensive anchor at roughly half Howard's price. And Lin had the greatest success of his career under Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni. But sources maintain that the Lakers' main priority this offseason -- besides re-signing Howard -- is getting their financial house in order. Which is why the overriding expectation persists that L.A. will rebuff sign-and-trade proposals to simply bank the cap space for the summer of 2014 if Howard bolts.

• Should Howard decide to leave the Lakers, sources said, several options have been discussed internally in Lakerland. Among them: The Lakers could simply let him walk, go into the season with Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash as their centerpieces -- as they had planned in July 2012 before the trade for Howard materialized -- and focus on slicing into their luxury-tax bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 2

Mr. Buss wag na masyadong choosy ...

Pag nag offer ng Sign and trade for DH kapalit si Blake at Bledsoe, tanggapin na. Solve na un problema ng PG tapos magaling din naman si Blake G.

Besides, if ayaw mo kay Bledsoe, may "trade value" ang player na ito kaya pwedeng gamitin na asset sa mga susunod na trades

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 2