Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

Long term naman ang plan nila and to progress with every game and not to make it all the way to the World Cup instantly, kung mahigitan nila iyun then well and good for them. As a Kuwaiti player said they need more experience, I'm sure once they do that they can be one of the top teams in Asia. Their coach seems to be on the right track, they just got to avoid all the distractions (showbiz, partying and of course women) which is easier said than done hehe....

Edited by thegame08

What if the Azkals aren't composed of Fil-foreigns with good looks. What if they look like your average pinoy? Let's say kamukha nila yung traffic enforcer na nakikita mo araw araw, or yung nagdedeliver ng newspaper, o kaya ni Pacquiao, Boom Boom or Zaldy Ampatuan. Will they still get the same attention provided they have the same level of skill of even greater?

Is that the only qualification you have for patriotism? Cause I know some people from some schools who can barely sing it too.

Sir i believe its a must for anyone who wants to be called a patriot or for someone "playing for the flag" though not the only qualification... but its fundamental..

ain't it funny to see a so called "patriot" mumbling and jumbling the national anthem ... it don't adds to the credibility...

Our expectation maybe too much, too early... others called it a bandwagon... I hope its not just a fad. because I believe Filipinos has a future in football... more than in basketball...

Sir i believe its a must for anyone who wants to be called a patriot or for someone "playing for the flag" though not the only qualification... but its fundamental..

ain't it funny to see a so called "patriot" mumbling and jumbling the national anthem ... it don't adds to the credibility...

Our expectation maybe too much, too early... others called it a bandwagon... I hope its not just a fad. because I believe Filipinos has a future in football... more than in basketball...

andaming filipinos ang hindi marunong kumanta ng lupang hinirang.... isama mo na si martin nievera. :lol:

be fair to the azkals, they, for me, are overachievers. recently lang sila binuo and they are making a name, at least for us filipinos, in the world of football.

tuloy-tuloy lang yan plus a good program, and we will be competiting in the world cup in 2020 or maybe even earlier (2016).

Playing for the flag?

They didn't even know how to sing the Philippine national anthem...sad.gif

Is that the only qualification you have for patriotism? Cause I know some people from some schools who can barely sing it too.

andaming filipinos ang hindi marunong kumanta ng lupang hinirang.... isama mo na si martin nievera. :lol:

be fair to the azkals, they, for me, are overachievers. recently lang sila binuo and they are making a name, at least for us filipinos, in the world of football.

tuloy-tuloy lang yan plus a good program, and we will be competiting in the world cup in 2020 or maybe even earlier (2016).

fully agree. these azkals may be mumbling and/or jumbling the philippine national anthem...call it even trying hard. hey!!! remember christian bautista (a pure blooded filipino) who once sang the national anthem in a boxing bout? tsk tsk tsk filipino na yan!!! but the undeniable fact remains that these guys have played their butts out for flag and country. we may be way below the playing standards of say brazil, argentina or even asian countries like japan or korea. tama sabi ni jopoc. this may be the start of a bright side in philippine football.

Yup.. a lot... but we don't see them on national TV, or someone who represents us or the flag... and it doesn't mean it's ok because madaming hindi marunong kumanta ng lupang hinirang...

They are overrated...

well its not their fault... and i hope football will continue to grow sa pinas...the sport of football.... not the personalities

Yup.. a lot... but we don't see them on national TV, or someone who represents us or the flag... and it doesn't mean it's ok because madaming hindi marunong kumanta ng lupang hinirang...

They are overrated...

so, are you saying that they must learn to sing the national anthem on NATIONAL TV before they represent the country?

as to overrated, who made the rating?

from what i know, we are just rallying behind our country's team.

we want them to win over kuwait. we even want them to win the world cup, but we are not expecting that to happen for now. There is a difference between WANTING (them to win) and EXPECTING (them to win).

well its not their fault... and i hope football will continue to grow sa pinas...the sport of football.... not the personalities

it always start with the personalities.

without the likes of larry bird, magic johnson, michael jordan, kobe bryant, lebron james, etc. the sport of baskteball will not be as popular as it is right now.

without the likes of muhammad ali, frazier, tyson, holyfield, pacquiao, boxing as a sport will not be as popular as it is right now.

without the like of pele, ronaldo, maradona, zidane, etc., football wont be as popular as it is now.

I agree with you that there are a lot of other national teams who have brought glory and medals to us. I have actually written of the plight of the dragonboat team and I also wrote about Rene Catalan and the shoddy treatment he received from the wushu federation and I wish I could do more for him.

But I think it is unfair to say that our football team is undeserving of whatever they are getting now. Simply put, it is only when they started winning that they started getting all these extra budget allocations and attention. Do you really think that, in 2005, the Azkals were getting more money than the Dragonboat or wushu teams and that they had endorsements and training abroad? Do you think, in 1997-98, when the Centennial team was training for the Asian games, that the Azkals were getting the same budget?

Whatever the Azkals are reaping now, they earned with hard work and dedication to flag and sport.

So, are you saying that in 1997-98 and in 2005, these Fil-foreigners are already in that team???????

You have admit bro, that they only achieved this kind of fame because of their good looks and the hype the media is giving to them..have to agree with other poster, that what if these Azkals are composed of not-goodlooking athletes, do you think they can get any attention???

and dont bring Manny Pacquiao in this discussion,he only rose to superstardom when he won world championship plus boxing is the 2nd fave sports of Pinoy.

hey, the Rowing and Wushu Teams have been consistent giving us glory, but you could barely seen them on TV..we should learn from the past, I guess Pinoys have really short-term memory, we should be reminded what happened to the hype train of David Bunevacz in the 90s.

so, are you saying that they must learn to sing the national anthem on NATIONAL TV before they represent the country?

I think that would be a good law to be submitted to congress... we've seen a lot of glitches on that area..

Drive along EDSA and try to stretch your neck out of the window... you'll probably have an idea.

we want them to win over kuwait. we even want them to win the world cup, but we are not expecting that to happen for now. There is a difference between WANTING (them to win) and EXPECTING (them to win).

You are rallying behind our country's team but you don't expect them to win? so you expect them to lose but you want them to win?... wacko.gif

without the likes of larry bird, magic johnson, michael jordan, kobe bryant, lebron james, etc. the sport of baskteball will not be as popular as it is right now.

without the likes of muhammad ali, frazier, tyson, holyfield, pacquiao, boxing as a sport will not be as popular as it is right now.

without the like of pele, ronaldo, maradona, zidane, etc., football wont be as popular as it is now.

I believe its their skills that made those names and personality and eventually makes the sports popular. without their skills it would have been just another name... so lets replace skills training with personality training... Now we can win the world cup! yahoo!

Hahahaha. Natawa naman ako sa hirit mo kay Martin Nievera.

And, in fairness, the "Lupang Hinirang" is a marching song. Philippine laws dictate that it must be sung as such. So lahat ng kumanta ng anthem natin nang mabagal, may blending o may birit, mali na agad. Sana matutunan nila ang tamang pagkanta ng national anthem no?

They are overrated...

So if they were toiling in anonymity at di natin sila napapanood on national TV, ok lang na di nila alam yung national anthem? And it's ok for pinoys to not know the anthem as long as they don't represent us?

Hmmmm.....

What can I say but...Amen!

So, are you saying that in 1997-98 and in 2005, these Fil-foreigners are already in that team???????

You have admit bro, that they only achieved this kind of fame because of their good looks and the hype the media is giving to them..have to agree with other poster, that what if these Azkals are composed of not-goodlooking athletes, do you think they can get any attention???

and dont bring Manny Pacquiao in this discussion,he only rose to superstardom when he won world championship plus boxing is the 2nd fave sports of Pinoy.

hey, the Rowing and Wushu Teams have been consistent giving us glory, but you could barely seen them on TV..we should learn from the past, I guess Pinoys have really short-term memory, we should be reminded what happened to the hype train of David Bunevacz in the 90s.

Sorry, are we talking about the Azkals or the fil-foreigners on the team? I'm confused. Am I to assume that you have nothing against the Azkals per se, just with those who are not pure blooded pinoys? (cause that's kinda racist. Just saying)

True, in 1998, the Azkals had no Fil-foreigners. They also had no budget.

In 2000, Aly Borromeo joined the team. so did Anton del Rosario. Chris Greatwich joined in 2004. Phil and James Younghusband joined in 2005. And they didn't have a budget either.

Neil Etheridge joined in 2008. The others, in 2010.

So yes, some of them have been with the team since the time when no one knew them. In fact, the Younghusbands have been here for 6 years and when did they get a TV commercial? Neil Etheridge has been playing here since 2008 and when did he get his TV commercial?

And I truly believe, no matter how handsome these guys are, if they didn't show Asia what they could do in last year's Suzuki Cup, no one would have given them a second glance.

Oh, my favorite players are Emilio Caligdong and Ian Araneta. So their physical traits don't mean squat to me.

How is Manny in this conversation again? I'm confused...again.

So if they were toiling in anonymity at di natin sila napapanood on national TV, ok lang na di nila alam yung national anthem? And it's ok for pinoys to not know the anthem as long as they don't represent us?

Hmmmm.....

Absolutely.

Stay in anonymity.

and while in anonymity, try to learn the national anthem!sad.gif

Long term naman ang plan nila and to progress with every game and not to make it all the way to the World Cup instantly, kung mahigitan nila iyun then well and good for them. As a Kuwaiti player said they need more experience, I'm sure once they do that they can be one of the top teams in Asia. Their coach seems to be on the right track, they just got to avoid all the distractions (showbiz, partying and of course women) which is easier said than done hehe....

Kaya nga I coined the term "David Bunevacz syndrome" to define the most apparent pitfall of the Azkals (at least, those on the team with mixed blood). Wasn't it way back in the mid-'90s (pls. correct me with the exact timeline) when some wise guys in the PSC hatched up the idea of bringing in this Pinoy-Hungarian-American to represent us in the Olympic decathlon. Next thing I heard, he got a taste of local showbiz when he was seen around this balikbayan beauty-queen-turned-starlet. He parlayed his good looks and buffed bod to a middling movie career (well, being unable to speak coherent Teygalewg can only get you so far) before shacking up with some starlet-turned-talent-manager (of sorts). Before leaving for the US years back, he was a co-owner of Beverly Hills 6750, a skin/body sculpting clinic located along Ayala Center in Makati.

Again, corrections are most welcome.

Sana wag naman sunuran ang Azkals sa daan niya.....

I hope this is not spamming. But I think I mentioned here before that the difference between David Bunevacz and the Younghusbands is that David never won a single ASEAN medal despite the huge sum being paid him by the PSC, while the Younghusbands toiled under a pittance of budget compared to what Bunevacz most probably had received individually and yet contributed significantly to the success of the team. Phil has 16 goals for the Azkals in international tournaments, and if I'm not mistaken James has 9. Frankly, the comparison is quite unfair and insulting.

I hope this is not spamming. But I think I mentioned here before that the difference between David Bunevacz and the Younghusbands is that David never won a single ASEAN medal despite the huge sum being paid him by the PSC, while the Younghusbands toiled under a pittance of budget compared to what Bunevacz most probably had received individually and yet contributed significantly to the success of the team. Phil has 16 goals for the Azkals in international tournaments, and if I'm not mistaken James has 9. Frankly, the comparison is quite unfair and insulting.

That is true. And I seem to remember Bunevacz being "hambog" about his abilities while the Younghusbands are low key and relatively humble.

I think that would be a good law to be submitted to congress... we've seen a lot of glitches on that area..

well, you can start the lobbying

Drive along EDSA and try to stretch your neck out of the window... you'll probably have an idea.

that is how athletes are rated, for being good-looking commercial endorsers?

they have fans and supporters, but that does not necessarily mean they are overrated.

You are rallying behind our country's team but you don't expect them to win? so you expect them to lose but you want them to win?...

its called being realistic.

i will give you an example:

ask the LA Clippers fans if they expect their team to win the NBA championship next year. they would say no......

ask them if they want the clippers to win the NBA championship, they would say yes.

kuha mo?

I believe its their skills that made those names and personality and eventually makes the sports popular. without their skills it would have been just another name... so lets replace skills training with personality training... Now we can win the world cup! yahoo!

arguably, the azkals are the best football team ever assembled to represent the country. so i think its only fair to recognize their talents in making the sport popular in this country.

remember that azkals caught our attention when they defeated the vietnamese in the suzuki cup, not when they flaunted their good looks.

even before they became famous, some of they were already modelling, like phil younghusband.

while good-looks is a plus (especially for the chicks), it was more of their achievement in the suzuki cup that really catapulted them to fame in this country.

remember that azkals caught our attention when they defeated the vietnamese in the suzuki cup, not when they flaunted their good looks.

even before they became famous, some of they were already modelling, like phil younghusband.

while good-looks is a plus (especially for the chicks), it was more of their achievement in the suzuki cup that really catapulted them to fame in this country.

your right, but defeating the defending champion in the quarterfinal is all that they have done..Vietnam might be successful here in SEA region, but they are not the powerhouse here..Singapore and Thailand are much better to them, maybe even Malaysia and Indonesia..

do you know the term "fluke"? that describes the win of the Azkals over Vietnam.

your right, but defeating the defending champion in the quarterfinal is all that they have done..Vietnam might be successful here in SEA region, but they are not the powerhouse here..Singapore and Thailand are much better to them, maybe even Malaysia and Indonesia..

do you know the term "fluke"? that describes the win of the Azkals over Vietnam.

its so easy to call something a fluke. libre lang mag-classify ng panalo as a fluke. if that is what you think, so be it.

anyway, fluke or not, they still won over the defending champs, right?

also, they also advanced to the second round of the WC qualifiers.... the best the PH ever achieved...... you may call it fluke again (that is your right), but that for me is an achievement enough for us to be proud of them.

as i said before, we are making baby steps to improving the sport in the country. the azkals, for me, are merely the catalysts.

Yes, baby steps. The 3-year goal (which means by 2013) is just to make it to the Top 120 and among the best in Southeast Asia, which is doable, probably even a bit ahead of schedule.

To have a fighting chance of qualifying for one of the 32 slots of the FIFA World Cup, you have to at least be in the World's Top 50 or 60, as this is probably where the 10 Asian teams which will vie in the 4th round for the 4 slots (+ one qualifying for a wild card play off) for Asia fall under. Maybe the Azkals have a better chance for the World Cup in 2022.