Food TV Shows/Cooking Shows/Food Critics/Chefs (Foreign & Local)

haha sorry. i was just so happy to see him go! :P

It's ok ....... I was happy to see him go too.

i think if it wasnt alex sent home, it would have been amanda - i have no idea why she is still there. shes ditzy and cant cook to save her life.

probably AMANDA is so far lucky that someone happens to be cooking far worse than her. How long till her luck runs out ?????

it was so funny when she said she admires alex -- lol birds of a feather, much?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw her made thos remarks ...... like duuuuh. How can anybody admire ALEX. (I actually can't wait for the reunion episode, of which I'm sure the pea puree issue will be brought up)

angelo needs to keep it together - this is always the point when the so called top seeds of the competition unravel (richard blais, kevin gillespie, etc). if he doesnt, then i foresee him going home soon after amanda does.

Presently, ANGELO is supposed tobe the strongest ....... he'd better stay focus if he wants to reach the finals.

I had to admire TIFFANY for helping out KELLY with the rice and I think during plating ........ in th end, both of them were in the top three of the elimination.

how can chefs not know what a ramp is? and how can chefs not know how to make chinese food? im baffled.

Good thing I'm not a chef because I too am not familiar with Ramps. hahahaha

Chinese Food ???? I think some of the other chefs are not classically trained hence their unfamiliarity with a little asian cooking.

Edited by asmodeus

It's ok ....... I was happy to see him go too.

probably AMANDA is so far lucky that someone happens to be cooking far worse than her. How long till her luck runs out ?????

I was thinking the same thing when I saw her made thos remarks ...... like duuuuh. How can anybody admire ALEX. (I actually can't wait for the reunion episode, of which I'm sure the pea puree issue will be brought up)

Presently, ANGELO is supposed tobe the strongest ....... he'd better stay focus if he wants to reach the finals.

I had to admire TIFFANY for helping out KELLY with the rice and I think during plating ........ in th end, both of them were in the top three of the elimination.

Good thing I'm not a chef because I too am not familiar with Ramps. hahahaha

Chinese Food ???? I think some of the other chefs are not classically trained hence their unfamiliarity with a little asian cooking.

tonight is top chef night again. ill remember not to post spoilers LOL.

as for not knowing what ramps are, and not knowing how to cook chinese food - i think an important trait a chef must have is common sense.

if you dont know what something is, taste it and based on what you taste, pair it up or cook it in the appropriate way.

if you havent cooked chinese food before, im sure you have eaten it - based on what you have eaten, break it down in your had and find the flavor profile.

a lot of it is thinking on their feet. kelly did that by reverse engineering the dish. she looked up ingredients in a sauce mix and used those. that works too.

to my mind though - its not an excuse to say "i have not cooked / tasted that before" -- youre a chef, youre job is to figure it out and cook it.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't paying attention .... turns out that Top Chef Season 8 is already showing (at least in the US) Also known as Top Chef All Stars as some of the contestants (from season 1 to 7) who got elimininated or weren't able to win are back.

If I' not mistaken, some included in the contest are the likes of MARCEL (Season 2) TREY (Season 3) DAYLE (Season 4) FAVIO (Season 5) JEN (Season 6) ANGELO (Season 7) ....... its downloading time again. wooohoooo

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to download the first 4 episodes of TOP CHEF SEASON 8 ..... I took a glance at the intro of episode 1 and it got me all excited. A lot of my favorites from the past couple of seasons were around to compete again.

With the exception of 2 contestants from Season 1 and 2, I think I'm more or less familiar with the rest.

STEPHEN (Season 1)

MARCEL (Season 2)

CASEY, DALE L. & TRE (Season 3)

SPIKE, ANTONIA, DALE TALDE (Fil-Am) & RICHARD (Season 4)

CARLA, FAVIO, JAMIE (Season 5)

JEN, MIKE (Season 6)

ANGELO, TIFFANY (Season 7)

---------------------------------------

On a personal sidenote:

It would have been awesome if BRIAN VOLTAGGIO or KEVIN GILLESPIE from Season 6 joined in also.

• 1 month later...

post-115838-0-09977600-1298676533.jpg

Just watched the latest episode of Top Chef Season 8 and its quite sad to see our very own Fil-Am DALE TALDE sent home....... I was really rooting for him since he was really strong in the previous episodes and has won many challenges. Oh well, thats life sometimes in Top Chef as One Bad Dish can send you packing. So does that mean "Mr. Willy Wonka" RICHARD BLAIS is the top seed to take home the title ????? With around 3 more episodes to go, anything can still happen.

Oh I'm also rooting for CARLA ......... if ever she gets to the finale, lets hope she sticks to her style of cooking.

Edited by asmodeus
  • 3 weeks later...

Another one of the contestants I'm rooting for in TOP CHEF SEASON 8 got booted out ....... and she is none other than Season 5 Finalist CARLA HALL.

post-115838-0-95152600-1300079490.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

So there are now 4 left and they are........

post-115838-0-36671900-1300079498.jpg

RICHARD BLAIS (Season 4)

post-115838-0-87836400-1300079500.jpg

TIFFANY DERRY (Season 7)

post-115838-0-30382900-1300079495.jpg

MIKE ISABELLA (Season 6)

post-115838-0-88215900-1300079480.jpg

ANTONIA (Season 4)

Of the 4 remaining, only RICHARD BLAIS has the experience at being in the Finals....... ANTONIA was in the top 4 but got booted out in her season.

• 2 weeks later...

With the elimination of TIFFANY last week from TOP CHEF ALL STARS we are now down to RICHAR, ANTONIA and MIKE....... I'm not certain if this coming week will be the very last competition for this season but it looks like MIKE ISABELLA has the psycological edge since he was able to win in the last two elimination challenges. (much to the disappointment of RICHARD)

I'm still rooting for "Mr. Willy Wonka" RICHARD BLAIS though i hope he gets out of his "I'm always worried" mentality so that he can confidently cook the best food.

As for ANTONIA ....... she's definitly the dark horse here.

Edited by asmodeus

Just sharing this video from New British Kitchen TV Show (UKTV) featuring some of Filipino dishes that we always love. Enjoy!

The New British Kitchen is a UKTV show which takes us on a culinary exploration of the UK, discovering how settling migrants have brought their homeland's cuisine with them to the area.

Part 1:

and

Part 2:

Last thursdays episode of Top Chef All Stars was quite interesting (Episode 14 if I'm not mistaken)

QUICKFIRE CHALLENGE (Wolgang Puck as Guest Judge)

RICHARD had to cook something with hotdogs; ANTONIA with only canned goods and pre-processed food as ingredients; and MIKE can only use One Pot....... Midway thru theor prep work, they were each given a handicap. RICHARD can only cook with only one hand, ANTONIA had to cook together with CARLA HALL by her side. (they were tied together so each of them can only use one hand) and MIKE cannot use any of his knives or other utensils.

In the end, MIKE's dish won and he got 5000 dollars as prize.

ELIMINATION CHALLENGE:

The three contestants were to cook for three celebrity chefs ...... (theme would be what the celebrity chefs want to eat for their last meal)

RICHARD had WOLGANG PUCK and he asked for Ghoulash and Apple Strudel; ANTONIA had this Japanese Iron Chef named MORIMOTO (I think) and he asked for a simple bento of Miso Soup, Sashimi and well cooked Rice. MIKE was to cook for MICHELLE BERNSTEIN and she asked for Fried Chicken and Gravy.

At the end of the Competition it was RICHARD that won so he gets to move on to the FINALE.

While I thought it was over ........ Host PADMA gave the other two chefs one last chance and they were to immediately cook a tasty amuse bouche for the judges. It was a close call but the judges voted in favor of MIKE so ANTONIA was sent packing.

-------------------------------------

The win by RICHARD should give him the cofidence to cook his best going into the very last challenge though he shuold be a bit wary because MIKE might pull out a few surprises of his own....... we will know this coming thursday.

Edited by asmodeus

Top Chef 8 Finale (Championship Round)

It was an epic battle between RICHARD "Willy Wonka" BLAIS and MIKE ISABELLA as both contestants came out with guns blazing. They were to cook a four course tasting menu for the judges and 70 other people (kinda like a mini restaurant wars) and everybody in judges panel agreed that both of them cooked really delicious food. (I think it was only in the fourth course dessert that both fell just a little short)

I think after a tough debate, they decided on one winner and it was RICHARD that took home the prize. (yehey, I was rooting for him)

Now that a new Top Chef is crowned ...... what I'm looking forward to is their REUNION Episode in which all the Contestants and Main Judges gather together in a studio and talk (and joke) about the just concluded season. I'm quite interested to see if the following issues would be talked about ......

• JEN's outburst during judges table in episode 2 and her eventual elimination.
  • JAMIE going to the hospital over a minor cut on her finger.
  • JAIME not agreeing to put out her dish during the "Tennis" challenge.
  • FABIO's losing Hamboorger dish (thats how he pronounced it)
  • MIKE copying RICHARD's oyster dish (of which MIKE won the Quickfire with said dish)

• 2 weeks later...

Top Chef 8 Finale (Championship Round)

It was an epic battle between RICHARD "Willy Wonka" BLAIS and MIKE ISABELLA as both contestants came out with guns blazing. They were to cook a four course tasting menu for the judges and 70 other people (kinda like a mini restaurant wars) and everybody in judges panel agreed that both of them cooked really delicious food. (I think it was only in the fourth course dessert that both fell just a little short)

I think after a tough debate, they decided on one winner and it was RICHARD that took home the prize. (yehey, I was rooting for him)

i never liked Mike Isabella - he reminds me too much of the Jersey Shore guidos. :D

i am glad blais won. he was the most consistent chef in this competition and he deserves it! :)

i purposely stayed away from this thread so as not to give you spoilers, LOL!

i never liked Mike Isabella - he reminds me too much of the Jersey Shore guidos. :D

i am glad blais won. he was the most consistent chef in this competition and he deserves it! :)

i purposely stayed away from this thread so as not to give you spoilers, LOL!

I don't mind the spoilers (since I sometimes spoil myself by reading their website before I even watched the downloaded program) ....... its always fun discussing the show with you. :lol:

I don't mind the spoilers (since I sometimes spoil myself by reading their website before I even watched the downloaded program) ....... its always fun discussing the show with you. :lol:

lol thanks!

there's top chef masters going on right now. you might remember mary sue milliken from two hot tamales (used to air on lifestyle channel, i think). im personally rooting for traci des jardins. :)

lol thanks!

there's top chef masters going on right now. you might remember mary sue milliken from two hot tamales (used to air on lifestyle channel, i think). im personally rooting for traci des jardins. :)

what season is Top Chef Masters on now ???? Truth to tell, I haven't been following this series (though I should be)

probably third. i think. its not as brutal as top chef - i feel like they give the pro chefs a lot of leeway.

sounds interesting ....... I'll try to see if its already available in the torrents.

Just finished watching the Top Chef All Stars Reunion Special ...... I was a bit shocked that one of the contestants made bad remarks against their head judge TOM after she was eliminated in the first episode.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...