Is Boxing Dying?

johnnydrama

Yep, can you say Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas. The ref was being idiotic when he counted to 10 when Tyson could barely shove his mouthpiece in his mouth.

Another case, Nonito Donaire vs Fernando Montiel. Montiel was given a standing 8-count when his soul and will already left his body and then allowed to fight again.

On the other hand, the ground and pound in MMA is very hard to control. It is very difficult to pry a guy off of someone when fully mounted. That is why fights are ended with at least 2-3 unnecessary punches landed. Even more sometimes.

pinoy pride is commercial fight of abs-cbn and ala boxing promotion.. so I think mabuti pa rin ito sa mga local boxer natin for their exposure at baka makita ng ibang international promoters.

Kung ako tatanungin? boxing is dying na talaga.. wala ng pulse ang tao sa heavyweight for almost a decade at puro middleweight and lightweight nlng ang nag-iingay..after mayweather and pacquiao wala na ring may appeal na names na pwde tumapat sa popularity nila. Canelo is good even Triple G but I think di nila kaya yung level ng 2 legend boxer in our era..

They need to make a noise atleast.. a propaganda..someone needs to be villain and be infamous in the public eye..

Yes, we are indeed lacking heavyweights in boxing because we are losing them to the nba and nfl. But MMA has not really capitalized on the situation with promoting their big guys either. actually, there is only one promotion worth talking about and that is the UFC. While boxing has showtime, top rank golden and (as much as I hate to admit) don king promotions. Until we hear about other promotions, I do not consider MMA as competition or a threat to boxing. I love both sports by the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree that boxing will not die based on the exact reasons that Sir Edmund Dantes pointed out. I think boxing right now is just undergoing a down phase due to a lack of bankable superstars and also due in part to competition with another fight sport with MMA. Heck, even local and regional MMA fighting promotions are on the rise, so that says something about the rise of MMA in the consciousness and interest of the public, and it is having a somewhat negative effect on boxing as a result.

Some guy name Kell Brook will be fighting GGG over the weekend. Writers say he is going to be Gennady's toughest test to date. If GGG gets the W, hopefully he gets to fight either Canelo or Ward. Hopefully he does not go down the Vladimir Klitchsko path where top fighters avoid him because he got too damn good. Sana ipalabas ng mga local networks ito kahit replay lang.

Some guy name Kell Brook will be fighting GGG over the weekend. Writers say he is going to be Gennady's toughest test to date. If GGG gets the W, hopefully he gets to fight either Canelo or Ward. Hopefully he does not go down the Vladimir Klitchsko path where top fighters avoid him because he got too damn good. Sana ipalabas ng mga local networks ito kahit replay lang.

While Kell Brook is a top fighter, he is coming in to the fight by going up two weight classes above his current one. So, it might be a little competitive but all the advantages are still with GGG. But who knows, maybe Brook can score an upset, which would probably catapult him to superstardom in boxing.

Actually I'm seeing this guy go down the Klitchko path...

Damn, why you gotta break my heart? I have high hopes for GGG hahaha.

While Kell Brook is a top fighter, he is coming in to the fight by going up two weight classes above his current one. So, it might be a little competitive but all the advantages are still with GGG. But who knows, maybe Brook can score an upset, which would probably catapult him to superstardom in boxing.

That, good sir, is the reason why I love boxing. People are easy to write off anyone but nobody knows what is really going to happen until both guys fight it out. Remember that nobody gave Pac a chance against Barrera then lo and behold, Barrera had the beating of a lifetime. Personally, I don't care who wins. If we get a good fight out of these two then the fans (actually the promoters) are the real winners. Cheers, to a great weekend of fighting.

Damn, why you gotta break my heart? I have high hopes for GGG hahaha.

That, good sir, is the reason why I love boxing. People are easy to write off anyone but nobody knows what is really going to happen until both guys fight it out. Remember that nobody gave Pac a chance against Barrera then lo and behold, Barrera had the beating of a lifetime. Personally, I don't care who wins. If we get a good fight out of these two then the fans (actually the promoters) are the real winners. Cheers, to a great weekend of fighting.

The fight did not disappoint! Damn there were a lot fireworks in the ring! Boxing needs a lot more fights like that. Top fighters should fight other top fighters!

I must admit, I find the upcoming fight of Pacquiao interesting, just because it has a Donaire undercard haha

It's Manny after all. I just wish he had Nonito in one of his previous cards or any of the other Pinoy fighter for that matter. In one of my drunken tirades I actually thought he really did not want any Filipino to fight in his undercards because he was afraid someone will surpass him. That was just the beer talking.

In more recent news, Canelo beat Smith in convincing fashion. I can tell from experience that being hit by a left hook to the body is no fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the chance to be discovered and payed for big events, yung iba lalaban pero mag iingat din para humaba ang career. Di naman maiiwasan na darating ang health concern.

Tapos yung iba, training pa lang; alam na kung sino mananalo. For the sake of money regardless of who wins or lose. Maganda pa rin yung laban na hindi mo alam kung sino mananalo.