Is Boxing Dying?

johnnydrama

After Manny Pacquiao wala ng ng boxing. Nakain na sila ng UFC. They need to discover a new figure if they want to survive

Dont worry, superstars will emerge in the most unexpected time and places. Remember, many thought boxing is dead when Ali retired. When Leonard Retired. Pacquioa vs Lehdwaba was a surprise. A star is born.

Edited by BennyChang

One thing for sure though,

After Pacquiao, hindi na tatangkilikin gaano Pilipino ang boxing. Maraming Pilipinong boxer, pero kung di naman sila aabot sa level ni Pacquiao, I doubt kung manonood pa sila. Dahil lang naman sa lentek na proud to be pinoy na kalokohan na yan kaya nanonood ng boxing Pilipino. Tsaka si Pacquiao lang naman pinapanood nila talaga

• 5 weeks later...

I disagree na naghihingalo ang boxing pero hindi na kasing sigla ng dati. Fighters ng nick walters and andre ward can carry boxing. Unlike MMA na puro conor mcgregor at conor mcgregor lang ang binabalita ng UFC. Pinagmamalaki ng UFC na 500+ fighters ang roster nila pero bakit puro conor mcgregor ang balita nila?

• 2 weeks later...

yep malapit na... mainly because of fmj...

slowly but surely yes, MMA is more exciting fight to watch now.

nah, I beg to disagree. MMA fighters are paid much, much less than boxers. This will cause a lot of unhappy fighters in the future. Adrien Broner gets paid more than an entire card's salary in the UFC. It does not help that Zuffa/LLC has monopolized the business and left other promotions waiting for scraps. They said they have 500 something fighters on their roster but their cards are mostly weak. Let us not even begin talking about the Reebok deal and how the UFC robbed their fighters of possible revenue by sponsorship.

If you look at the UFC, where are they now? They have no one to carry them except Connor McGregor and Connor McGregor. Boxing has Canelo, GGG, Ward, the list can go on. It just happens that the local networks(or network) give the UFC more TV time than boxing. Just because we do not get enough boxing on TV does not mean nothing is happening. Boxing fights get uploaded to youtube within days anyway.

mas exciting panuorin ang mma kasi lahat ng fighting styles ginagamit ng mga mma fighters. which is ironic kasi nuong unang tinayo ang UFC, ang goal nila ay malaman kung aling fighting stye ang mananalo sa labanan ng iba ibang discipline. pero ngayon naging hybrid fighters ang mga mma fighters. pero pagdating sa earnings mas malaki ang boxing lalo na kung star ka. hindi mawawalan ng potential boxing aspirants sa boxing.

Sugar Ray Robinson may have been the greatest boxer of all time skillwise. But Muhammad Ali is and will always be boxing's greatest star.

He was very unique in so many ways. First of all his fighting style made a violent sport look like ballet. He fought in a heavyweight era where there were real talented oposition. In a time when promoters did most of the talking to sell their fighters, Ali did most of the talking himself. He knew how to be an entertainer. He took hyping to the level that it is now.

He was also a champion outside of the ring. He gave up his belts, livelihood, and most of his money to refuse participation in the vietnam war. He stood up for his principles no matter what the cost was.

Ali is one of my heroes. The embodiment of what being a champion is about. Always believe in yourself. No matter if the world tries to bring you down, keep believing in yourself.

Rest in Power to the greatest ever!

Is the sport Dying? yup it is. because the recent fights are boring as hell. why wait for a boxing event if UFC is showing exciting fights every 3 months.

kasalanan din naman ng mga boxingero eh, ayaw nila masaktan kaya sparring match ang ginagawa sa ring.

Golovkin could have saved boxing. The thing is he is a fighter that was never tested. The elite boxers in his weight class refuses to look his way,Canelo included. The sad thing is we might not see him in an epic fight. He became too scary for his own sake. Because of this,elite fighters avoid him like a plague.

I may be being stubborn when I keep saying that boxing is not dying. The high profile fights are simply not happening. GGG cleaned out his division and Canelo has chickened out as previously stated here. Same thing happened with Andrei Ward, there is simply no competition anymore. This should be a chance for fans to go back to basics and start watching the smaller promotions. Blow by blow is coming back and we all know what happened to the best fighter that they had. Pwede din manood ng mga local promotions sa probinsya kapag may fiesta. P50 lang may 20 fights ka na sans all the flashiness that bigger promotions have.

Here are some thoughts

Boxing can't die,

1. History- Boxing has a very long history. It is one of the most primitive sports out there. Before NFL and even NBA became popular in mainstream, people were already following boxing. Boxing produced some of the most iconic athletes that are now part of popculture (i.e. Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson etc.). Aside from the olympics, the ring has become a venue to represent and raise flags. Its hard to k*ll the popularity of a sport that has this kind of history. I take nothing from MMA, maybe one day it will reach the same status as boxing, but right now its still at its infancy.

2. Practicality as a Martial Art- IMO one of the reaons why boxing is so popular is its practicality and simplicity. Again no disrespect to other forms of Martial arts, but let's face it, you can get by if you know how to properly use those fists. You can go up against any style using good boxing skills. In fact even for mix martial artists this is one arsenal that is mandatorily needed. Take for instance kung fu (yes I know this is also used in MMA, but I am not talking about that) like the ones you see in old jackie chan movies. Hirap naman aralin crane, snake, monkey, at di ka naman makakaporma ng ganun sa ring. Or Jiujitsu and grappling which are practical pero mas mahirap matutunan. Anybody can learn a good-old fashioned 1-2. And because of that it is easier to entice people to enroll in boxing than in BJJ. You can use boxing routines naman kahit for cardio lang. Pero BJJ kelangan maganda na talaga cardiovascular physio mo para dyan

Edited by Edmund Dantes

Although I have to say (again I am saying this as a casual fan)

I think MMA is a lot safer than boxing because stoppages are faster in the former.

Matches in the cage are shorter compared in the ring

There are more avenues for stoppages in MMA. You can tap out. Or if you KD an opponent, you can finish the fight in a few seconds

In boxing, allowing allowing a fighter downed before the 10-count increases risk of repeated brain trauma.