Is Boxing Dying?

johnnydrama

Well for me, it has been uneventful. This is how I feel and how I see it. UFC? Mayweather was only forced to go up the ring because a UFC fighter challenged him. Do you think he would have fought had it been another boxer? If yes, who? How about the Pacquiao vs Horn? Wasn't that a farce? Pacquiao clearly won but the hometown decision had to prevail. Was that eventful? Where is Golden Boy Promotions now? It's not as interesting for me as it was before, IMHO

How so? It has been an eventful year for boxing. The UFC on the other hand still cannot get their top draw inside the cage to defend his belt. He even had to be booked for a boxing match to get a good payday.

Well for me, it has been uneventful. This is how I feel and how I see it. UFC? Mayweather was only forced to go up the ring because a UFC fighter challenged him. Do you think he would have fought had it been another boxer? If yes, who? How about the Pacquiao vs Horn? Wasn't that a farce? Pacquiao clearly won but the hometown decision had to prevail. Was that eventful? Where is Golden Boy Promotions now? It's not as interesting for me as it was before, IMHO

How so? It has been an eventful year for boxing. The UFC on the other hand still cannot get their top draw inside the cage to defend his belt. He even had to be booked for a boxing match to get a good payday.

That is what you think, that is fine with me.

There has not been much local coverage does not mean nothing is happening. You ask about Golden Boy Promotions? GGG vs Canelo just happened. GB did a good job setting up Alvarez for that bout. The fight was awesome but the decision was shitty. People are looking forward to rematch, personally I think both guys need a break.

Which boxer would Floyd face if it wasn't CMG? No need to look far, Canelo has some history with him. He was busy enough this year to warrant a rematch. He is a whole new fighter now than when they first fought.

Your opinion on Pacquiao's fight is yours, I respect that. I thought Horn did enough to win by a close decision, around 7 rounds to 5. I saw no hometown decision there. You saw a farce, I saw a young man out to prove something against a legend of the sport. Horn's camp is even open for a rematch, and Pac's camp insists to doing it in Australia again. Why not do it in Macau if his fans think Horn will get another hometown whatever.

Other boxers were also busy this year. Like Anthony Joshua having two significant wins this year. Andre Ward beat Kovalev again. He can gain a few pounds and move up to HW, and both guys can beat each other silly. Adrien Broner also lost to some guy undefeated guy. Forgot his name, too lazy to google. Gillermo Rigondeaux (not sure if I got his name right) is also going to fight Loma in a few days. Plenty of up and comers what with Floyd Jr boasting about retirement and Pacquaio losing his drawing power in Vegas.

As for the Connor, he was out of that fight with Floyd since R4 with his shallow gas tank. Fight only lasted 10 rounds because Mayweather willed it. Connor needs to get back in that cage and unify that belt with TF. Otherwise, he is just another big talker who mouthed his way to a title fight. Thank the gods GSP came back to put some class in MMA. Hope he stays longer.

It's not like the UFC, who has sole monopoly of top fighters, is doing any better than boxing. Their match ups and ranking make no sense. Their best athlete, Jon Jones, is a crackhead.... and CMG still has his championship despite not fighting for the UFC or representing MMA in general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

not in the local scene. may mga interesting young boxers pa ang pinas. in short, may mga potentials na maging world champs like manny p.

This! Though having another boxing superstar rising through the ranks like Manny Pacquiao did would certainly help keep it relevant in the mainstream!

Edited by mrconfusion87
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is dying.

Though boxing has the most history among other sports, the recent events that happened in boxing compared to mma shows that it is declining. There are still some fans or supporters of boxing but they get fewer and fewer because of several factors like

1. Champions or great fighters dodging contenders and choosing who they fight. Unlike in the UFC, you fight who is given to you.

2. The taste of the viewers just change. We don't just want to see people fighting using their hands, we want a plethora of fighting styles being used.

These are just my observations. 😊

• 1 month later...