Is Boxing Dying?

johnnydrama

• 8 months later...
Guest Satanick Fury

Boxing is very much alive! Too bad that our very own Brian Viloria lost his titles via decision to Juan Francisco Estrada at Macau. On a positive note, 3 Pinoy fighters won their respective matches including a very exciting knockout by Dodie Boy Penalosa, Jr. over a Thai boxer. His record is now 11 - 0 with all wins coming by way of knockouts.

• 3 weeks later...

Pakiramdam ko nanlalamig na ang boksing dito sa Pinas after matalo ng sunod sunod sunod ng mga Filipino boxers natin... before si Pacquiao pinag aagawan labanan kasi nothing to lose but everything to gain ang mga kalaban pero ngayon si pacquiao halos sambahin na ang mga tumalo sa kanya para labanan sya uli kaso ayaw na nila..kasi pakiramdam ng mga promoters wala silang kikitain lalo na sa ppv if si pacquiao ang kakalabanin after ng matulog vs. juanma.. besides hindi na sa USA gaganapin kundi sa Asia na kasi baka langawin na ang laban.

In my own point of view naghahari ang mga counter punchers ngayon kundi ka susuntok hindi rin sila susuntok.. ayaw ng mga tao ng ganyang laban gusto nila ang aksyon! bugbugan, mga sluggers yung mga tipong makikipagbakbakan talaga at matapang...then makaka panalo ng KO.

Pana panahon din.. kaya parang mas pinanunuod ng mga madlang people ang UFC or mga mixed martial arts..duguan at balian ang labanan not unless mag tap out ka.

latest casualty on boxing: rey boom boom bautista, pinag retiro na nga ALA productions.. tsk tsk tsk...

• 2 years later...

No it will not die. It will be always around. Kickboxing has also been around for quite sometime but it didn't k*ll boxing.

However, I wont be surprised if one day it wont be as lucrative as it is, especially after what happened in what many considered as the "Fraud of the Century". I wont be surprised if MMA will be more lucrative as it is finding more popularity in mainstream.

There is still hope for Boxing to stay at the top of the food chain though. Thankfully, right after the disappointing Mayweather Pacquiao, we were treated with Canelo Vs Kirkland, Then Golovkin vs Monroe.

The Sport needs to remove its focus on Mayweather Pacquiao and build new stars like those above. Its time for the sport to have a new hero and a new villain

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see it dying. Sa entertainment we have seen the decline, which is obvious sa dami nang kalaban sa combat sports entertainment.

But boxing dying sa martial arts or combat sports or even as fitness world, never.

Even MMA fighters train in (English) boxing to refine their hand striking skills.

malapit na, last fight nalang "daw' si mayweather

I enjoyed watching mayweather portray this generations sports villain. Like it or not, villains make any sport more entertaining. But remember the time when you saw Mike Tyson who was just overweight, washed up, and didn't seem to have any interest anymore in fighting? Thats how I see Floyd nowadays. Too much of a safety-first fighter. Not wanting to take risk to entertain fans with what he does in the ring. Kakasawa na din mga antics nya.

Ibang kontrabida naman sana ulit. Hopefully the next boxing villain will be like george foreman or mike tyson. Hindi yung puro trash talk trash talk lang. Dapat kakatakutan din ng kalaban sa ring

• 7 months later...

I think so... boxing from heavy weight are too boring.. middleweight division are too Angels for boxing they don't offer spices to the sport.. The only things good about boxing are..When will Mayweather get knockout? When will be the next Pacquiao of Asia? Can TopRank give a better fight for Tripple G? The famous names from boxing is getting old and sooner be a Legends.. They need to come up with good marketing plan to make it interesting AGAIN...

but for now... UFC is reignin..

• 4 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/14793389/nike-ends-endorsement-contract-manny-pacquiao

Nike cuts ties with Manny Pacquiao after derogatory comments

post-481684-0-48567100-1455755573_thumb.jpg

Nike terminated its endorsement contract with Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday after the Filipino boxer made derogatory remarks toward same-sex couples.

"We find Manny Pacquiao's comments abhorrent," the company said in a statement. "Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community."

Based on Pacquiao's comments, a spokesman confirmed that he is no longer on the company's endorsement roster.

Pacquiao has endorsed Nike for a little more than eight years.

"Have you seen any animal having male-to-male or female-to-female relations?" Pacquiao said on a Filipino television station earlier this week. "If you have male-to-male or female-to-female [relationships], then people are worse than animals."

Pacquiao apologized on Twitter within hours.

"I'm sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals," Pacquiao tweeted. "Please forgive me for those I hurt. God bless!"

In the tweet, Pacquiao had a video message in Filipino wearing a Nike shirt with the special logo the company has for him.

post-481684-0-23653600-1455755581_thumb.jpg

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, said he understood Nike's decision.

"Nike is in the business of selling its products to as wide of an audience as they can, and Manny's comments were insulting to a lot of people," Arum told ESPN.com.

"His comments were made to a Filipino audience, where same-sex marriage is not as accepted as it is here, and Manny is a convert of enlightened Christianity, which does not believe in same-sex relationships. But to people in the United States, his words can only be viewed as hate speech. If I was running Nike, I would have to make the same decision they did."

Pacquiao was more of a billboard for Nike, which had its swoosh on his shorts for fights and on his shoes, instead of a true revenue stream. Few Pacquiao items reached the market.

His fight against Floyd Mayweather in May 2015 became the richest fight in boxing history, breaking all financial benchmarks for ticket sales, sponsorship and pay-per-view buys.

The 37-year-old's next fight against Timothy Bradley on April 9 is expected to be his last.

Nike has been more active in terminating contracts of late than at any other time in company history. Over the past four years, it has severed deals with cyclist Lance Armstrong, running back Ray Rice, running back Adrian Peterson and sprinter Oscar Pistorius.

- i get why Nike decided to part ways and let Pacquiao go from their endorsement contract. Seeing as this is a Business decision. A company like Nike is very wary of being associated with athletes who touch on sensitive subjects such as Race, Gender, Creed, Religious inequalities etc..e.g. Like what they did with Lance Armstrong when he was banned from Cycling and stripped of his Tour De France championships. They severed any ties linking him to Nike.

The LGBT community buys sports apparel as well. They would be a huge loss for Nike if they stopped buying from them.

The one thing that sports athletes need to be careful of is how they speak their mind regarding these touchy subjects. We live in a world where our words are used against us especially if we get recorded saying them or writing them in public.

One thing's for sure, the next time you see Manny Pacquiao wearing any sports apparel. He won't be wearing the Swoosh logo in any of his shirts, shorts when he's out training, or boxing. Will his other sponsors in the Phiilppines still support him after making these comments towards the gay community? What type of message will these sponsors be giving by supporting him?

Gay people buy stuff too. Is all I'm gonna say.

Edited by hahnz
Magic Johnson blasts Pacquiao, lauds Nike decision

post-481684-0-08718000-1455904188_thumb.jpg

MANILA, Philippines – Shortly after Manny Pacquiao was knocked out of his sports endorsement deal, a sporting icon followed through with another shot at the boxer's image.
Retired National Basketball Association cager Earvin "Magic" Johnson also commended portswear giant Nike for severing ties with Pacquiao following the boxer's controversial remarks on same-sex couples.

Johnson, who steered the Los Angeles Lakers in the '80s to multiple NBA championships, was the first sporting figure to openly applaud the company's move to drop the boxer for the incendiary comments directed at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.
post-481684-0-57496700-1455904773_thumb.jpg
Pacquiao, who is due for a rematch with American Timothy Bradley, was on the hot seat Tuesday after baring his thoughts on same-sex marriage, asking "Have you seen any animal having male-to-male or female-to-female relations?"

The decorated boxer, who is juggling legislative duties for the province of Sarangani with his boxing stints, immediately apologized for his statements.

The Lakers legend-turned league analyst, meanwhile, was the first globally recognized athlete to openly applaud the sporting apparel's decision. He also urged a boycott of Pacquiao's fights.

Johnson also put in context his disappointment over Pacquiao's homophobic comments.

post-481684-0-98766100-1455904808_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-82279100-1455904818_thumb.jpg

Jason Collins, another retired NBA veteran, also took to Twitter to share his thoughts. He was most notable for being the first openly gay professional basketball player.

post-481684-0-62050400-1455904838_thumb.jpg

In a official statement Thursday morning, Nike said Pacquiao's comments were "abhorrent."
"Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community," the statement read.
Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum, for his part, expressed that he, too, is siding with Nike. He even went as far as apologizing on behalf of his ward.
"Nike is in the business of selling its products to as wide of an audience as they can, and Manny's comments were insulting to a lot of people," Arum told ESPN.com.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Manny Pacquiao Banned From Popular LA Mall for Gay Comments

Manny Pacquiao has lost more than just a Nike contract and supporters after speaking out about his stance on homosexuality. Now the Christian Filipino boxer has been banned from the popular oudoor retail and entertainment complex in Los Angeles, California, known as The Grove.

Pacquiao and his entourage caught a movie at The Grove recently, but the mall's owner Rick Caruso said Pacquiao would be banned from the resort-like mall that plays host to many celebrities and Hollywood events.

"Manny Pacquiao is no longer welcome," The Grove owner Rick Caruso told TMZ. "These are statements of hatred. A lot of people from the gay community come to The Grove and they have a right not to feel uncomfortable."

The statement from the mall owner comes one month after Pacquiao made international headlines for saying in a TV interview in his home country that he is opposed to homosexuality and referencing animals in his explanation.

"It's common sense. Do you see animals mating with the same sex? Animals are better because they can distinguish male from female," Pacquiao told Filipino television station TV5. "If men mate with men and women mate with women, they are worse than animals."

The pugilist and Filipino politician vying for a senatorial position in his home country was previously banned from the mall four years ago for using the Bible to support his stance on homosexuality.

"Based on news reports of statements made by Mr. Pacquiao, we have made it be known that he is not welcome at The Grove and will not be interviewed here now or in the future," a previous tweet from The Grove account read in 2012, according to LA Times. "The Grove is a gathering place for all Angelenos and not a place for intolerance."

Although the ban was eventually lifted, Pacquiao has angered the mall's officials once again. After his initial comments concerning the LGBT community last month, the eight-division world champion boxer has apologized for offending people.

"I'm sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals. Please forgive me for those I've hurt," Pacquiao wrote as a caption for an Instagram video last month. "I still stand on my belief that I'm against same sex marriage because of what the Bible says, but I'm not condemning LGBT. I love you all with the love of the Lord. God Bless you all and I'm praying for you.

Now the pugilist is focusing on his next fight against Timothy Bradley on April 9. After that, he may be headed to the Olympics.

"It would be my honour to represent the country in the Olympics," he told AFP earlier this month. "If I would be asked to represent boxing, why not. I would do everything for my country."