Apple iPad

First time I remember the ipad1 hanged was after I got it Oct of 2010, when I tried doing streaming 720p video to my ipad1 (jailbroken) from an XBMC server - using VLC (when it was not yet removed from App Store). VLC hanged first then the ipad1 'froze' - no response from the home and power buttons. No choice - had to do hard reset (power cycle). A little bit of digging into the various forums and on 1080p/720p sites - the ipad1 lower A4 chip cannot handle the encoding/decoding of 720p video. Well - it was described, the ipad1 was not capable of true 720p HD playback. Note to self - no more HD video on the ipad1.

Got an ipad2 in May and as the A5 chip was supposed to be able to handle HD playback, did the same. Streaming from an XBMC server to the ipad2 on a full battery. First 30-45mins was a blast, 720p playback excellent. Everything went downhill after that. Playback became sluggish. Then the video application quit unexpectedly, followed again by the ipad2 'freezing'. Hard reset (power cycle) again to recover. Again, digging into the video streaming forums, and then it led me to Apple support forums, I found explanations with the most common having to do with the way WiFi operates on the ipad. It is described as the WiFi connection in some instances arbitrarily going to 'sleep mode' or lowering power quickly as a method of conserving battery life. This would typically happen if data transfer in and out of the ipad was discontinuous or in surges (typical web use). Unfortunately there seems to be some inconsistency with the system in identifying that the HD video stream is continuous, and thus it should be keeping the wifi power stable. Thus with continuous and consistent data streams, there may be some instances when 'freezing' may happen. That would figure - HD 720p decoding takes a strain on the dual-core A5 chip and plus the suck on resources with keeping WiFi on for a stable and consistent HD playback experience.

So far - those are the two instances which I have found answers to the instances which my ipads froze.

My apologies for the long post ....

First time I remember the ipad1 hanged was after I got it Oct of 2010, when I tried doing streaming 720p video to my ipad1 (jailbroken) from an XBMC server - using VLC (when it was not yet removed from App Store). VLC hanged first then the ipad1 'froze' - no response from the home and power buttons. No choice - had to do hard reset (power cycle). A little bit of digging into the various forums and on 1080p/720p sites - the ipad1 lower A4 chip cannot handle the encoding/decoding of 720p video. Well - it was described, the ipad1 was not capable of true 720p HD playback. Note to self - no more HD video on the ipad1.

Got an ipad2 in May and as the A5 chip was supposed to be able to handle HD playback, did the same. Streaming from an XBMC server to the ipad2 on a full battery. First 30-45mins was a blast, 720p playback excellent. Everything went downhill after that. Playback became sluggish. Then the video application quit unexpectedly, followed again by the ipad2 'freezing'. Hard reset (power cycle) again to recover. Again, digging into the video streaming forums, and then it led me to Apple support forums, I found explanations with the most common having to do with the way WiFi operates on the ipad. It is described as the WiFi connection in some instances arbitrarily going to 'sleep mode' or lowering power quickly as a method of conserving battery life. This would typically happen if data transfer in and out of the ipad was discontinuous or in surges (typical web use). Unfortunately there seems to be some inconsistency with the system in identifying that the HD video stream is continuous, and thus it should be keeping the wifi power stable. Thus with continuous and consistent data streams, there may be some instances when 'freezing' may happen. That would figure - HD 720p decoding takes a strain on the dual-core A5 chip and plus the suck on resources with keeping WiFi on for a stable and consistent HD playback experience.

So far - those are the two instances which I have found answers to the instances which my ipads froze.

In my case I dont know the reason why my tab froze (gamit lang kasi ako ng gamit) i dont pay attention to what caused it to hang, and it happened kasi when i was just familiarizing myself with the unit so Im not sure if it was becasue of too many opened apps or too many commands pressed or just my fault he he he

Sir did you have your Ipad 2 jailbroken? may I inquire where you or how you did it? planning to get one for my wife po sana eh, TIA

Sir did you have your Ipad 2 jailbroken? may I inquire where you or how you did it? planning to get one for my wife po sana eh, TIA

I have an ipad 2 wifi only jailbroken on 4.3.3 via jailbreakme.com (jailbreakme 3.0). Much easier on an ipad2 wifi rather than with 3G - no pain on making sure the baseband is not updated if you need an unlock. But most ipad2's sold in the PH are unlocked anyway.

If you want to JB your ipad2 - make sure it is on 4.3.3. This version is the last stable one which can be used for the easiest JB method. I assume you are a new ipad2 user, so my advice is JB via jailbreakme.com. Anything higher than that - well, methods are available, but requires careful treading with the guides on the internet. For new users - I do not recommend using the JB tools out there as you need to be fully confident with your understanding of the steps, and fully aware of the possible nasty consequences of JB.

As for JB with jailbreakme.com, 1) verify your version if it is 4.3.3 2) make a backup in Itunes 3) Make sure you have stable and reliable internet access then Using Safari on your ipad2, navigate to jailbreakme.com and follow the instructions. There are also additional instructions on patching the security holes in 4.3.3 - so take heed.

If you are successful, you should see the Cydia Icon installed.

Has anyone tried using the ipad2 and playing the videos on a larger screen like a television set. (AV cable are sold separately)

any comments ????

Working on one, but haven't had time for the setup. I find the AV cable from Apple too expensive so I am ordering online for one which has not been delivered (Apple HDMI - HDMI) from monoprice.com.

Working on one, but haven't had time for the setup. I find the AV cable from Apple too expensive so I am ordering online for one which has not been delivered (Apple HDMI - HDMI) from monoprice.com.

greenhills tiangge shops are selling memory adaptors (1 set for usb and sd readers) for 4k plus. rather stiff but i am considering buying one set 'cause they will come handy when transferring videos and photos from your camera while on long trips without a laptop

sun's wifi is limited to m.manila only, kept having a bad day with smart bro so i threw it away. so i bought a globe tattoo for use with my ipad2-wifi64gig. hmp, works only 60% of the time. connection won't stay on for a long time too. f__k u, globe!

Edited by remoteworld

I have an ipad 2 wifi only jailbroken on 4.3.3 via jailbreakme.com (jailbreakme 3.0). Much easier on an ipad2 wifi rather than with 3G - no pain on making sure the baseband is not updated if you need an unlock. But most ipad2's sold in the PH are unlocked anyway.

If you want to JB your ipad2 - make sure it is on 4.3.3. This version is the last stable one which can be used for the easiest JB method. I assume you are a new ipad2 user, so my advice is JB via jailbreakme.com. Anything higher than that - well, methods are available, but requires careful treading with the guides on the internet. For new users - I do not recommend using the JB tools out there as you need to be fully confident with your understanding of the steps, and fully aware of the possible nasty consequences of JB.

As for JB with jailbreakme.com, 1) verify your version if it is 4.3.3 2) make a backup in Itunes 3) Make sure you have stable and reliable internet access then Using Safari on your ipad2, navigate to jailbreakme.com and follow the instructions. There are also additional instructions on patching the security holes in 4.3.3 - so take heed.

If you are successful, you should see the Cydia Icon installed.

Thanks for the quick reply and the steps on how to do JB, it seems JB is a scary thing to do? will read more reviews to help me in deciding if i will purchase one for wifey

when I was a kid, I was a fan of the ARCHIE Comics series .......... iTunes Store has an Archie Comics App that allows me to read the said comics. (most of the comics are for sale, but there are several free ones too)

post-261375-0-49394100-1319073895.jpg

post-261375-0-87779200-1319073899.jpg

Time to re-live my 2nd childhood. :lol:

* I also downloaded their Marvel Comics App.

* I wish they have the Asterix Comics App.

Edited by DemonAsmodeus