Do You Have The Time?

bonito99

pareng grv777

i dunno about the resale of Omegas, but as for the Rolex...let me put it this way, my submariner which i bought in 97 (right before the currency crisis) is now worth much more (almost 2X) than what i originally paid for it. also pinoys love rolexes so there is a steady demand for them.

folks,

any info on a pre-owned patek calatrava...checked it out again in lucerne...shet man i really want it.....but it is tooo dammmn expenssssive!  I might be able afford a pre-owned.

Dickyboy,

From the photo you posted, the model is called Travel Time Calatrava. Dual time zone. Not exactly the same, but I have seen this for sale at around $8K or around P450K preowned. How much is it there? The Patek Philippe 5022 "Calatrava" Strapwatch is around $7K preowned. Check out this website:

http://capetownstore.com/Merchant2/merchan...ry_Code=Patek-C

They have a healthy amount of Pateks for sale. Very reliable sellers. Plus an incredible amount of Used Rolex for sale. Their store is located in downtown Atlanta Georgia. Hope this helps!

Atong,  How about the local resell shops in Manila like Secondo Pre-owned Time & Pieces located in Glorietta 2 or I know at Hyatt Regency Hotel they have a place where they sell pre own watches? Have you checked out these places?

sorry for the delay but i just got home from a cebu vacation. secondo is fine, they watches are sure to be original since they require the seller to have the watch serviced or authenticated before consigning it to them. the one at hyatt is called manila watch center. it also has branches in greenhills virra mall and makati below peking garden but authenticity of secondo is more reliable. there are many other personal pre-owned watch dealers without shops who sell lower since they have zero overhead but you have really know them to develop that common trust.

hmmm.. I was wondering....  Bakit ang omega hindi maganda ang resale value..  ???  Would this also be applicable with Rolex watch?

as a rule, new omega watches normally sell for 20-30% OFF suggested retail price depending on the dealer. pre-owned watches regularly sell at 40-50% OF the orginal srp. if you get a 100k watch at 70-80k brand new, expect it to sell at around 40k or higher depending on the rarity and condition of your watch. or simply put, you can sell it normally at half the price you bought it.

as for rolex, though the pre-owned watch lowers in value, rolex increases its prices at least once a year by more than 10%, maintaining the original price. what you lose in value, therefore, would probably be the time value of money and inflation rate.

for those who want the biggest bang for your buck, best to get a pre-owned omega if you are familiar with the pricing. the price for pre-owned recent model stainless rolex sub would fetch around 180-200k while its omega counterpart would fetch 35-45k. a year or two ago, the prices for these watches brand new were around 150k for the sub and around 70k for the seamaster.

be aware, though, that maintenance and parts at omega service center is more expensive than that of rolex.

how much does your watchman charge you for maintenance and lubrication of a chronograph? omega charges around 15k :(

Hmmm.. ganun kamahal... Sabagay, when I change my longines (opposition) battery ... PHP650.00 ang charge nila sa akin (since isa lang ang service center ng omega and longines).. hmmm... medyo mahal... services rendered.. change battery, change gasket and butt the steel...

Dickyboy,

From the photo you posted, the model is called Travel Time Calatrava. Dual time zone. Not exactly the same, but I have seen this for sale at around $8K or around P450K preowned.  How much is it there? The Patek Philippe 5022 "Calatrava" Strapwatch is around $7K preowned.  Check out this website:

http://capetownstore.com/Merchant2/merchan...ry_Code=Patek-C

They have a healthy amount of Pateks for sale.  Very reliable sellers.  Plus an incredible amount of Used Rolex for sale.  Their store is located in downtown Atlanta Georgia.  Hope this helps!

Hey pokpok,

Thanks very much, man...at $8K it is probably better there than here, assuming you find one here. i'll be in nyc soon, i might try looking around, but even at $7k to $8K i'd still be pushing the limit and would have to give up one of my sweeties which i'm not yet readdy to do.

It will have to be my holy grail for a while longer..

Hmmm.. ganun kamahal... Sabagay, when I change my longines (opposition) battery ... PHP650.00 ang charge nila sa akin (since isa lang ang service center ng omega and longines).. hmmm... medyo mahal... services rendered.. change battery, change gasket and butt the steel...

for batteries and gasket, any simple watchman with the proper tools can handle it. i used to change the batteries on some of my quartz watches before i sold them. when changing batteries, use renata instead of maxell or other japanese batteries. they last much longer and save you the cost of labor and gasket.

btw, sa lucerne, nag increase na ang price ng omega.. mga 10% to 12% this month

lucerne watchmen are incompetent, they couldnt even tell a fake rolex if the case is nicely done. my friend once bought a fake rolex to have it serviced. they assumed it was original just because the name was engraved on the movement and the metal used was similar. i wouldnt trust my watch with them. as for other brands, they are overpriced since they know they monopoloize the market. IWC crystal for 15k and fliegerchrono link for more than 5k. they also sell pre-owned watches only to known customers secretly to avoid risking thier distributorship. talk has it that the owners smuggle the watches without bands and separately bring in the bracelets to avoid being taxed. this is common knowledge in the watch industry and among ongpin jewellers.

lucerne watchmen are incompetent, they couldnt even tell a fake rolex if the case is nicely done.  my friend once bought a fake rolex to have it serviced.  they assumed it was original just because the name was engraved on the movement  and the metal used was similar. i wouldnt trust my watch with them.  as for other brands,  they are overpriced since they know they monopoloize the market.  IWC crystal for 15k and fliegerchrono link for more than 5k.  they also sell pre-owned watches only to known customers secretly to avoid risking thier distributorship.  talk has it that the owners smuggle the watches without bands and separately bring in the bracelets to avoid being taxed.  this is common knowledge in the watch industry and among ongpin jewellers.

Speaking of Ongpin Jewellers.. What type of luxury watches are being sold there? Ang napapansin ko lang ay Tag-hueur and Rado... Madami japs watches....

sorry for the delay but i just got home from a cebu vacation.  secondo is fine, they watches are sure to be original since they require the seller to have the watch serviced or authenticated before consigning it to them.  the one at hyatt is called manila watch center.  it also has branches in greenhills virra mall and makati below peking garden but authenticity of secondo is more reliable.  there are many other personal pre-owned watch dealers without shops who sell lower since they have zero overhead but you have really know them to develop that common trust.

Atong, Salamat. If you know someone selling an IWC (chrono preferred) or a Rolex Explorer 2, let me know. Do you know some pre-owned dealers w/o shops? I'll be in Manila in November with an itch to scratch. I know what you mean by that common trust since there is a substantial amount of money involved and there are many counterfeits out there.

lucerne watchmen are incompetent, they couldnt even tell a fake rolex if the case is nicely done.  my friend once bought a fake rolex to have it serviced.  they assumed it was original just because the name was engraved on the movement  and the metal used was similar. i wouldnt trust my watch with them.  as for other brands,  they are overpriced since they know they monopoloize the market.  IWC crystal for 15k and fliegerchrono link for more than 5k.  they also sell pre-owned watches only to known customers secretly to avoid risking thier distributorship.  talk has it that the owners smuggle the watches without bands and separately bring in the bracelets to avoid being taxed.  this is common knowledge in the watch industry and among ongpin jewellers.

There is a shortage of good watch repair technicians. The average age of a watchmaker in the US is in the mid 50's. Also there are less than a dozen watchmaking schools to address this shortage. Rolex sponsors the "watch technicum" in Lititz, Pennsylvania where only 12 students are accepted per year. The school's director is also the VP for Rolex USA.

The last time I had my Rolex serviced, the certified Rolex technician was convinced that my watch was a fake. He wouldn't work on it. We had to send it to Rolex NY to have it authenticated and serviced. Talk about having egg on someone's face. Turns out he hardly sees any vintage models and is used to the newer types. What was suppose to be a 3 week turn around became a 2 1/2 month wait. No big deal, but I was shocked that Rolex certified this fraud.

Watch repair can be a fun hobby. Tools are relatively cheap and there is an abundance of inexpensive broken watches you can buy everywhere. I recommend the Handbook of watch and clock repair by H. Harris. Very easy to follow instruction book. Also this website:

http://www.thewatchguy.homestead.com/repair.html

details how to clean and oil a watch for the beginners. Check it out.

Speaking of Ongpin Jewellers.. What type of luxury watches are being sold there?  Ang napapansin ko lang ay Tag-hueur and Rado... Madami japs watches....

tag, oris, lacoste, casio, seiko, citizen, pierre cardin, guy laroche, charles jourdan, bulova, tissot, rado. you wont see any rolex, iwc nor omega in the shops there. only one shop has longines and omega (hua san jewelry). beware of the shop near sta cruz church, many of them sell fake seikos. better to stop looking when you reach alonzo street.

Atong, Salamat. If you know someone selling an IWC (chrono preferred) or a Rolex Explorer 2,  let me know.  Do you know some pre-owned dealers w/o shops? I'll be in Manila in November with an itch to scratch.  I know what you mean by that common trust since there is a substantial amount of money involved and there are many counterfeits out there.

that is a hard baby to find. saw a fliegerchrono at secondo a few months back but it was sold when i returned a few weeks ago. as to explorer2, i saw an ad for explorer 2 black dial at www.buyandsell.com.ph for 100k

Atong, Salamat. If you know someone selling an IWC (chrono preferred) or a Rolex Explorer 2,  let me know.  Do you know some pre-owned dealers w/o shops? I'll be in Manila in November with an itch to scratch.  I know what you mean by that common trust since there is a substantial amount of money involved and there are many counterfeits out there.

you also might want to check ebay. i know a couple of guys there but they mostly trade mostly tags and vintage watches.