Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

parang ala ng pagasang makapaglaro si japeth ng 4-5 position para siyang si don camaso na pang 2-3 lang kayang laruin. pero pwede siyang imaximize ni toroman sa 3 position kasi malaki siya.. talagang si greg slaughter ang dapat na magimprove kasi natural position niya ang 4 at 5.. sana maglaro din sa gilas si junmar fajardo.. saan kaya pwedeng bumili ng fountain of youth para makainom si taulava. I think asi will still be our best center for the next 5 years..

bkit kasi ipilit ang paghahanap ng ma imports kung ibuhos na lang ni mvp ung peraiya sa pagbuo ng program na magtratrain ng mga batang players mula sa kasuluksulukang bahagi ng pinas. ok din naman ang mga foreign blood pero dapat ung mga katulad nila chambers, parks at black na may malasakit talaga sa phil basketball hindi ung mercenary type players na after mabayaran eh maghahanap na ng ibang oportunity sa ibang bansa. pero im happy kasi smart gilas is the beginning even if we didnt make it next year sa fiba at least were on the right track sana lang matuloy ang program na ito

Not sure if Haddadi will play but if he doesn't, SG has a big chance of beating Iran. Haddadi ga ve Yi fits in the FIBA-Asia finals last time.

Why worry? Someone have claimed our BIGS can compete with the best in Asia. HAving said that if Haddadi plays then we should still have a big chance beating Iran, If he does not, it should be a sure win.

Ofcourse that is on the assumption one will buy what my friend thinks. :lol:

Guest eljuego

For the upcoming Asiad, Yao and Yi not playing for China. Lebanon not participatiing. Definitely could boost our chances.

Wow! A scholarly post. Let's not belabor the obvious. laugh.gif

• Downvote 4

^^^Well I think its not obvious if taken as a response to the post stating Toroman sees a medal even if Marcus is not able to play.

I guess it's not because he's confident that even w/o him we're sending a strong team but rather because competition is a notch weaker as what I've presented. And Toroman did not made mention of that.

Guest eljuego

^Of course without Yi and Yao, it will definitely boost SG's chances. Correct lang kita. Will boost and not could boost. When you say could boost, it is conditional. The article shows Toroman's confidence in SG. If he could transform Iran from a mediocre team into an Asian contender, then he can surely transform SG into a well-oiled machine and put SG on top of the roost. Talent-wise, the Philippines is still better than Iran.

• Downvote 3

^Of course without Yi and Yao, it will definitely boost SG's chances. Correct lang kita. Will boost and not could boost. When you say could boost, it is conditional. The article shows Toroman's confidence in SG. If he could transform Iran from a mediocre team into an Asian contender, then he can surely transform SG into a well-oiled machine and put SG on top of the roost. Talent-wise, the Philippines is still better than Iran.

Well for the record my real intent is to say COULD BOOST. Tama ka conditional kasi pag sinabi mong "could" ... madaming other factors to consider pa for me.

"Talent-wise RP is better than Iran" This kind of statement/belief has been working against us for decades now. If our players are really more talented than say Iran and China, why do we still have to get a naturalized player or "import" to some to strengthen our national team? I believe those 2 countries did became Asiad basketball powers without the help of naturalized players just as we did then up to the 70's.

To add ...

I sure hope bringing RP back to its glory days in international basketball is as simple as your analogy ...

If that is the case, I believe SBP should move heaven and earth to hire Coach K instead and slide Coach Rajo as his assistant. Coach K has successfully guided USA back to being the Olympic and World Basketball Champs. Using the same analogy, don't you think it a no brainer for Coach K to be able to make us qualify for the Olympics or even win it all too???

Guest eljuego

Well for the record my real intent is to say COULD BOOST. Tama ka conditional kasi pag sinabi mong "could" ... madaming other factors to consider pa for me.

"Talent-wise RP is better than Iran" This kind of statement/belief has been working against us for decades now. If our players are really more talented than say Iran and China, why do we still have to get a naturalized player or "import" to some to strengthen our national team? I believe those 2 countries did became Asiad basketball powers without the help of naturalized players just as we did then up to the 70's.

Why? Jordan and Lebanon, among other Asian nations, have imports in Rasheem Wright and Jackson Vroman, respectively. Why don't you address the same question to Team USA in the 1996 Olympics? Akeem Olajuwon was naturalized in order to be able to augment an already strong team. FIBA rules state that a country can have a naturalized player. Also ask Russia which has a naturalized import even though they already have a bonafide NBA vet in Kirilenko. I believe Germany also has a naturalized import even though they already have a former NBA MVP. SG is just taking advantage of that rule. RP is still better than Iran man for man and talent-wise.

• Downvote 4
Guest eljuego

To add ...

I sure hope bringing RP back to its glory days in international basketball is as simple as your analogy ...

If that is the case, I believe SBP should move heaven and earth to hire Coach K instead and slide Coach Rajo as his assistant. Coach K has successfully guided USA back to being the Olympic and World Basketball Champs. Using the same analogy, don't you think it a no brainer for Coach K to be able to make us qualify for the Olympics or even win it all too???

What analogy are you talking about? Did I even mention Coach K in the discussion? Create a thread about Coach K and I'll comment on what you think of Coach K. Coach K has the best group of players in the world. Why are you even mentioning Team USA in the same breath as SG? Medyo malayo yata yung comment mo. Coach K is a proven coach who coached a mediocre team and transformed it into an Asian power. The Philippines has the talent but limited exposure to international play. I think Toroman has already played tune-up games against Serbian teams and this should have been done every year by the BAP before. At least SBP is now committed to bring back the Philippines to its former place in Asian basketball.

• Downvote 2

Why? Jordan and Lebanon, among other Asian nations, have imports in Rasheem Wright and Jackson Vroman, respectively. Why don't you address the same question to Team USA in the 1996 Olympics? Akeem Olajuwon was naturalized in order to be able to augment an already strong team. FIBA rules state that a country can have a naturalized player. Also ask Russia which has a naturalized import even though they already have a bonafide NBA vet in Kirilenko. I believe Germany also has a naturalized import even though they already have a former NBA MVP. SG is just taking advantage of that rule. RP is still better than Iran man for man and talent-wise.

"TAKING ADVANTAGE" ... you hit it right in saying this. Teams get naturalized players because they wanted to gain some advantage since if playing with one makes the team stronger thus greater is the chance to compete for the title. Jordan and Lebanon and for a time Japan I believe played with one since they could not or have not been Asian champs in the past decade or two at least. RP before when it was lording it over in the Asian region and even being competitive with the world didn't bother to use one. It changed in the 80's when China has overtaken our local talents. The case of Germany and Russia is the same, they are not the favorites to win without one and in fact are not even with one.

Therefore as you said, "FIBA rules state that a country can have a naturalized player", it did not say that a country MUST have one. And IMHO, why would you still want to take advantage of this when you know for a fact that you are already better than the rest. Remember, one country incur some cost to list up a naturalized player. For instance, why don't the RP get a naturalized player for the SEA basketball games? Well, I think its pretty much obvious, man for man talent-wise we are better off. Considering you are claiming that we are also better than the top rank team in Asia now then IMHO we don't need one.

As for Hakeem, your claim that he was naturalized specifically to allow him to play in 1996 is a personal opinion and not a FACT unless you can prove otherwise. Hakeen has lived in the US for several years already when his request for naturalization was granted in 1993. He still resides in the US despite no longer active playing ball. If the US would want to take advantage, then they should and could have done it earlier than '96.

What analogy are you talking about? Did I even mention Coach K in the discussion? Create a thread about Coach K and I'll comment on what you think of Coach K. Coach K has the best group of players in the world. Why are you even mentioning Team USA in the same breath as SG? Medyo malayo yata yung comment mo. Coach K is a proven coach who coached a mediocre team and transformed it into an Asian power. The Philippines has the talent but limited exposure to international play. I think Toroman has already played tune-up games against Serbian teams and this should have been done every year by the BAP before. At least SBP is now committed to bring back the Philippines to its former place in Asian basketball.

Sir I am referring to your analogy that since Toroman was able to turn things around for Iran then he could also do the same for the RP.

In the same way for Caoch K, he turned things around for the USA when things weren't going as expected after 2000. He did to USA what you expect Coach Rajo to do for RP-Gilas. Coach K did it with a bunch of proven stars in the 2008 Olympics and did it again this time with a bunch of upcoming young guns (B-deem team) during the 2010 Fiba World Championship.

BTW, for the record, you did not mention coach K in your post and neither did I said you mentioned it. I'm just wondering why you're saying so.

Guess some things never change. WELCOME BACK!!!

Guest eljuego

"TAKING ADVANTAGE" ... you hit it right in saying this. Teams get naturalized players because they wanted to gain some advantage since if playing with one makes the team stronger thus greater is the chance to compete for the title. Jordan and Lebanon and for a time Japan I believe played with one since they could not or have not been Asian champs in the past decade or two at least. RP before when it was lording it over in the Asian region and even being competitive with the world didn't bother to use one. It changed in the 80's when China has overtaken our local talents. The case of Germany and Russia is the same, they are not the favorites to win without one and in fact are not even with one.

Therefore as you said, "FIBA rules state that a country can have a naturalized player", it did not say that a country MUST have one. And IMHO, why would you still want to take advantage of this when you know for a fact that you are already better than the rest. Remember, one country incur some cost to list up a naturalized player. For instance, why don't the RP get a naturalized player for the SEA basketball games? Well, I think its pretty much obvious, man for man talent-wise we are better off. Considering you are claiming that we are also better than the top rank team in Asia now then IMHO we don't need one.

As for Hakeem, your claim that he was naturalized specifically to allow him to play in 1996 is a personal opinion and not a FACT unless you can prove otherwise. Hakeen has lived in the US for several years already when his request for naturalization was granted in 1993. He still resides in the US despite no longer active playing ball. If the US would want to take advantage, then they should and could have done it earlier than '96.

Talent-wise, we are but you see there is also a height factor and you can't teach height. Huh? Akeem getting naturalized to play for the Team USA is a fact and not an opinion. Where have you been? Why would you even worry about the cost of maitaining a naturalized player? That's the SBP's problem, not yours.

• Downvote 2
Guest eljuego

Sir I am referring to your analogy that since Toroman was able to turn things around for Iran then he could also do the same for the RP.

In the same way for Caoch K, he turned things around for the USA when things weren't going as expected after 2000. He did to USA what you expect Coach Rajo to do for RP-Gilas. Coach K did it with a bunch of proven stars in the 2008 Olympics and did it again this time with a bunch of upcoming young guns (B-deem team) during the 2010 Fiba World Championship.

BTW, for the record, you did not mention coach K in your post and neither did I said you mentioned it. I'm just wondering why you're saying so.

Guess some things never change. WELCOME BACK!!!

You were the one who mentioned Coach K in the discussion. Not me. This is about the SG team and not team USA. As I said, the talent level of RP is still better than Iran so it's just a matter of international exposure and of course proper coaching from Toroman. Malayo yata yung liniparan ng topic. Some things never change? Welcome back? I don't quite follow.

Edited by eljuego
  • Downvote 6

Talent-wise, we are but you see there is also a height factor and you can't teach height. Huh? Akeem getting naturalized to play for the Team USA is a fact and not an opinion. Where have you been? Why would you even worry about the cost of maitaining a naturalized player? That's the SBP's problem, not yours.

well just to refresh you a bit, in your earlier post you said that we have Big Guys that can bang in the inside. YOu mentioned Greg, Japeth and Asi and Marcus. So why bother to naturalize Marcus when we have Marlou who is also as tall? Having claimed that we don't have any problem talent wise and saying you can't teach height then you are actually having the best of both worlds with Marlou. :rolleyes:

But then again, the RP players have always been undersized even during our glory days. Somehow we're able to find ways to win then.

As far as Akeem well just show me some clippings if you can to prove your cause that it's a FACT.

Edited by CELTS
Guest eljuego

Did you even bother to consider that Aquino is a has-been? It wouldn't hurt to add another big man in Douthit. Maybe you should be the one who should show me clippings since you're the doubter. Then maybe I'll believe you. I'm just saying what I know that he was naturalized so the USA got him to already augment an already strong Olympic team.

• Downvote 6

I know, he is and same with Asi. Considering they are has beens then their talent have somehow been eroded by time. So what you're claiming that we are best talent-wise man for man is NOT true. Now there are also upcoming players who's as tall. Why don't you even consider them if you said that we don't have problem talent-wise.

But anyway Marcus is probably out of the Asiad which is about a month away. By then we'll know if we are indeed the best talent in basketball in Asia with or without him tutal it would not hurt lang naman pala if he's added. Therefore it is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Edited by CELTS