Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

We could have been 3-1 today if it wasn't for the rotation or for sheer luck. Gilas gave it all, pero all coming short in the end. Chot doesn't even use all his players (Including Junemar who is 2nd in PER. Wow.) but instead opted to use his "guys" to play kahit na nga ba bad shooting or bad game sila. Oh well. May Asian Games pa pero please, a good much more wiser and smarter coach is needed. We have the talent. Kayang makipag sabayan sa mundo pero we can really pull it off if we just have good and smart decisions not just by the players but by the Coaching staff. Disappointed and heartbroken today. :(

sad to say but aside from the TOs and mental lapses, coaching should be partly blamed. how can we expect to sustain a high octane kind of game when the coach only uses 8 men. 4 slots were practically wasted. gary was never used, japeth was fielded in for less than a minute to disrupt the inbound, junemar who was 2nd to pau in terms of PER was used sparingly as reliever for andray and so was chan. chot has 12 men at his disposal...bakit hindi nya magamit lahat?! While we have earned the respect of the world basketball nations with a respectable showing despite the 4 losses that we have, i still believe that we still have a lot of catching up to do.

Aside from Aguilar, he didn't use Jeff Chan. Paul Lee had a sub-par game, yet, Chot stubbornly used him. I think the biggest play of the game was that Blatche drive, after which, it got intercepted. Carelessness. Chot relied heavily on Jimmy and RDO but RDO didn't deliver. Last but not the least, we should play 40 solid minutes of basketball and not in spurts. We still lack the mental toughness to finish games.

Mental toughness indeed...and the only way to gain mental toughness is to qualify/participate in these kinds of competitions. keep the program going and gain experience...and for smc and alaska to lend their players when needed :D :D :D

Fajardo, LA and Aguilar are from SMC.

LA's contract has a specific clause relative to his participation with the national team. Japeth was still with the MVP group and already with gilas prior to his joining with GSM. i'm not sure about junemar.

Edited by junix
1409762179[/url]' post='9400601']

Panalo na ang Iran sa Egypt.

Arrrgh....rubbing salt....

Anyway...if you read all the comments in the various social media....everyone is blaming coach...cmon guys...we may not be as good as chot..but we pinoys know our basketball...its ok and admirable when we lost to croatia greece and especially argentina...theyre FIBA powerhouses...but the lose to puerto rico is very hard to swallow...i would say dissapointing...its like san mig coffee losing to globalport in a game 3 semifinals or ateneo to UP( almost).., no offense meant...im watching the replay on BTV ..but turned it off when puerto rico caught up....

Should have used fajardo and aguilar to replace pingris and especially RDO...kahit si david pagtyagaan ko na din....

Cant wait for Asian games...Just to forget this nightmare....any future suggestions for the Gilas teams? Also any future star players ( tall and good) not named ravena and teng to join as gilas cadet?

I think Gilas just need to cross the psychological barrier of winning. They already overcame the psychological barrier that they can compete, thus each and every game they do compete. But they still have the psychological barrier that they can't win. That's why they play very well when behind. But when they are ahead, they start to loose focus. Para bang, when they are behind, "one last push" and they find it within themselves to "push" further. But when they are ahead, para bang "wow we're winning, maintain the lead". That is why when they are ahead they start to play bad. Two games na ganun (Argentina and Puerto Rico), when they are ahead, it seems like they are trying to play to protect the lead, instead of playing to win. That is where international experience comes in and the taste of the first win at this level would have been nice. I had a feeling that if they had won the first game over Croatia that psychological barrier that they could win would have been erased and they would definitely have been 3-1.

Choach Chot Reyes is a good motivator, that is why he is able to motivate well from the underdog position (Puso battle-cry). As a tactician, there are better coaches (Coach Tim Cone?). But Coach Reyes got the team this far and knowing the effort he put in, we couldn't really blame him or any of the players for their lapses. He motivated the boys to believe in themselves. But in the end games, it takes a good tactician to close it out. Hoping we could merge Coach Reyes and Cone into one person hehehe.

I hope they can win against Senegal tonight, so that they get a taste of winning at the Worlds. That experience of winning at that level could help the team in the Asian Games and eventually in the Olympics (should they qualify - I believe this is the next target). And if they do, I hope they infuse some fresh legs to the team so that when the next World Cup is played (5 years from now), the experience will not be for naught. Note: A lot of these players will be too old for next World Cup so the experience they garnered will not be carried over. The younger players like Jun Mar, Paul Lee will be the experienced players 5 years from now.

Arrrgh....rubbing salt....

Anyway...if you read all the comments in the various social media....everyone is blaming coach...cmon guys...we may not be as good as chot..but we pinoys know our basketball...its ok and admirable when we lost to croatia greece and especially argentina...theyre FIBA powerhouses...but the lose to puerto rico is very hard to swallow...i would say dissapointing...its like san mig coffee losing to globalport in a game 3 semifinals or ateneo to UP( almost).., no offense meant...im watching the replay on BTV ..but turned it off when puerto rico caught up....

Should have used fajardo and aguilar to replace pingris and especially RDO...kahit si david pagtyagaan ko na din....

Cant wait for Asian games...Just to forget this nightmare....any future suggestions for the Gilas teams? Also any future star players ( tall and good) not named ravena and teng to join as gilas cadet?

Actually, Coach Chot should have played Fajardo and Blatche together. Especially when Puerto Rico was mounting a comeback. They had lots of second chances during that stretch. And TOs where caused by the poor spacing. I agree that he overplayed a few of the players like Pingris and RDO. And played Chan and Aguilar sparingly. And si David binagko na ng todo. Again, its easy for us to comment here from an observer's point of view.

Now to move on to the Asian Games and the Olympics and the next Worlds (5 years from now)

I think the future (Worlds Cup 5 years from now) will be Ravena, Paras, Teng, Parks Jr. mixed with the future vets Paul Lee, Fajardo, Slaughter (vets na sila 5 years from now but would still be at their peak). Am wondering if Jordan Clarkson can also be tapped since he's a Fil-Am and not a naturalized player then he could be like a Norwood of today.

Edited by bill_262003
  • Like (+1) 1

@ sirs mason and bill...

Yeah ...everyone can see the mistakes...except coach?!?!....RDO and pingris is ineffective...puerto rico used balkman to guard blatche..so that their 2 bigs can match up with either pingris( which has no outside shot), and RDO...if he used japhet ..the possibility of an offensive rebound or even japhet driving in will be available..or junmar going for an offensive putback or even low post plays...and gabe guarding barrea is the most logical thing...soften barrea up with tenorio( which they did in the first half) and let gabe finish barrea off...but again he stubbornly used RDO( having a horrid shooting night), pingris(tired) and even Lee...hayyyy....i was even looking forward to tonights game vs senegal....

Is it just me...but i think kiefer and teng are overrated...would rather have alas and lanete...kobe paras is really good...cant wait to see him play...how bout bigs? von opstal looks promising...kinda like a more powerful aguilar?...anyone wants ray ray parks for the gilas cadet pool?...we dont need clarkson to replace norwood...we have a norwood like player now in the PBA...matt rosser...my problem is who will replace chan alapag and castro....

1409810718[/url]' post='9401265']

I'm not exactly sure if Van Opstal can post up but he's athletic. If he develops a post game, I think he can make Gilas. Kobe Paras is only 16 or 17, yet, he's already 6'6. If his growth hasn't stopped, then we have a potential gem in our hands. He's an athletic freak for his age and under the guidance of a good coach, he may well become our version of his namesake.

Or an aguilar with a shooting touch and better basketball IQ hehehe

@ sirs mason and bill...

Yeah ...everyone can see the mistakes...except coach?!?!....RDO and pingris is ineffective...puerto rico used balkman to guard blatche..so that their 2 bigs can match up with either pingris( which has no outside shot), and RDO...if he used japhet ..the possibility of an offensive rebound or even japhet driving in will be available..or junmar going for an offensive putback or even low post plays...and gabe guarding barrea is the most logical thing...soften barrea up with tenorio( which they did in the first half) and let gabe finish barrea off...but again he stubbornly used RDO( having a horrid shooting night), pingris(tired) and even Lee...hayyyy....i was even looking forward to tonights game vs senegal....

Is it just me...but i think kiefer and teng are overrated...would rather have alas and lanete...kobe paras is really good...cant wait to see him play...how bout bigs? von opstal looks promising...kinda like a more powerful aguilar?...anyone wants ray ray parks for the gilas cadet pool?...we dont need clarkson to replace norwood...we have a norwood like player now in the PBA...matt rosser...my problem is who will replace chan alapag and castro....

While I was watching the game last night I was so disappointed in the coaching decisions. But looking at the bigger picture, Coach Reyes got us this far. A tactician who is not a good motivator wouldn't have been able to sell "Puso" as a battle cry for the team. And I believe its what took them this far, but just not over the hump (of winning and advancing).

You may be right that Teng is overrated but I think Ravena is the real deal. I totally forgot about Alas. Von Opstal looks promising, but we need to see how he fares when he jumps to the big leagues (PBA). Parks Jr. could also be useful for the team. For the PG, Alas could be that guy. Don't forget that Lee can still play a good number of years and could still mature even further. For the SG, I don't see anyone yet who could be a solid three point threat.

Again, the future looks good. The important thing is we get to play more international games. And we should ease in the young bloods so that they get the experience and be the vets of the future. Someone just posted a picture of David. I have said before that David is a streaky shooter and could potentially win games for us if he gets hot. But how can the guy get hot if he is benched. If he is just benched, then maybe his slot should have been given to a younger player (who can gain from this experience and be a contributor in the next International Games).

Hope Gilas wins tonight.

Did you guys hear about some team offcials of Senegal (TOS) bumping into MVP and Smart executives in the streets of Sevilla? TOS asked the MVP group, "are you Filipinos?" MVP group answered, "yes". Then TOS told the MVP group to go home. One of the executives answered, "After we beat you!" and walked away.

Let's go GILAS!! Beat Senegal!!!

Edited by gobster11
  • Like (+1) 1

Pagpanalo, cheers to the players pero pag talo kasalan ng coach. I think Coach Chot did a great job. For me, mental lapsed of our players, dami natin turn over that caused us the game. Kulang pa kasi tayo sa experience, we should learn from it and try to improve.

I remember Coach Ron Jacobs' quote (or was he?)- "Players win games, coaches lose them."

1409816834[/url]' post='9401473']

Pagpanalo, cheers to the players pero pag talo kasalan ng coach. I think Coach Chot did a great job. For me, mental lapsed of our players, dami natin turn over that caused us the game. Kulang pa kasi tayo sa experience, we should learn from it and try to improve.

We always cheered for the players whether they win or lose...but that game against puerto rico...as you mentioned...alot of turnovers and mental lapses...dapat nagadjust na si coach di ba? Yun mga players nde nman magpapasub magisa...as mentioned before first 3 games you can attribute that to lack of experience....but games like puerto rico without arroyo...dapat sinusungaban na eh...if coach adjusted his rotation especially on barrea...he wouldnt exploded with 30 points...just think if barrea scored 25 points only...i watched the game again...we were ahead by 12-14 pts and we started jacking up threes...not much low post plays, no strong drives to the basket...just dribble drive inside then kicked out to the weakside and shoot 3s...as ive said before...we pinoys love our basketball...we know and appreciate our players...but we also have a little bit of coaching acumen within all of us......coach should just admit that he made a mental mistake on his rotation...

• Like (+1) 1
1409821689[/url]' post='9401657']

@azraelmd

I agree. Chot should have adjusted in the Argentina game too.

Thanks mason...

Anyway ...2 more hours till senegal vs gilas....still depressed....but Laban Gilas!!!! Lets get a win....let everyone play...let everyone get a feel for international games...japhet chan fajardo and even david....15 days till incheon games....let us show haddadis iran and south korea..that they should be fighting for 2nd-3rd places in Asian games!!!!

Coach chot is an easy target

like a poster above said "coaches lose games"

It's so easy to second guess Chot's decisions from behind our TV and call out the right plays via twitter.

Were there coaching lapses in the game? Sure, there always are, every coach has them, even Coach K has them, even the great Red Auerbach had them. There are always lapses, coaches are human.

But should we replace Chot?

F*ck no.

Chot gave Philippine basketball an identity, he created a style of play that only Pinoys can do, and that no team was prepared for, not one. A game that would give NBA players fits, and leave more experienced coaches baffled.

Can the armchair fan do that? Most home coaches don't even know how to break down a game properly.

He brought us to Spain, if he wasn't able to setup the Gilas program the way it is now, our players would just be fans watching behind their TV screens.

Be sad for the loss but respect the man. He put it all on the line for you, so you could have viewing parties, so you could have a team to cheer for in the World Cup, so you could be amazed at what Pinoy basketball can do.

Could Jaworski have done better? I doubt it. It was a different time, a different brand of basketball, and it wasn't at the World Cup. Jaworski wasn't up against Argentina, Greece and Croatia.

Anyway,

You can't play Blatche and Kraken together, it would slow down the pace considerably, Gilas' game always looks for the first shot, bring it down quickly and take the first shot opportunity before the defense gets setup, because you might not be able to get a shot off by the time the defense is there. IF they're slow on the break it severely limits the first shot opportunity.

Japeth should have never been on the team. 6'9 and you can't make your presence felt? I'm disappointed in his play, he should have asserted himself more, if he could take away some of the pressure to score from Blatche, that gives us 2 inside/perimeter options every possession, plus three more from outside. He could have contributed more, instead he only served to slow the team down. Uninspired play from Japeth.

Jeff Chan was already scouted, all games after Croatia, Jeff Chan wasn't a factor. LA had a breakout game, because he was one of the few players who wasn't already scouted, they weren't ready. But by the time the second half of PRxGilas rolled in, his game was already figured out too.

I agree, Gary David should have been in the mix if only to create confusion with PR, I can't see why he wasn't in any of the games' rotation.

as for the future

The future looks very bright for Philippine basketball, already you have very good prospects from the UAAP, a Keifer/Jeron tandem would be fantastic, two guys who won't take no for an answer and who's used to taking games over. AVO who has transformed beautifully from a center who couldn't play with his back to the basket (which was the strangest thing) to a legit 4 who can post up or take the ball to the hoop. He's getting better as the years go by.

Kobe Paras, I really can't comment on as I haven't really seen him play. He's good no doubt, but is he good because he's the biggest and most athletic on the floor, or can he match up well with someone his own size and ability? We'll see.

things are looking up for Gilas, they can only get better from here.

what the current team right now needs is to refine the run and gun/larong buko game a bit more. in the past 4 games in the WC, Gilas always has a lot of turnovers, and that's mostly because of the scrappy and lightning quick offense they always run, if you run it like that every time, you will make mistakes unless the degree of familiarity is so high that you already know what each other is thinking.

Also a frenetic run and gun game, requires a huge gas tank from the players running it. Everyone should have the cardio to run the whole 40 minutes. Conditioning is a huge factor and not all Gilas players have the cardio for it. Blatche always looks so tired by the time the 4th quarter rolls around.

You can see it in the boxscores too, Gilas always starts white hot (reference the Korea game, and all 4 games of the WC), and then plateaus by the 3rd quarter, by the time it's the middle of the fourth, they're already running on adrenaline and pride. Which makes them error-prone, people passing to the crowd, fumbling the ball, etc. Whoever the conditioning coach is, has his work cut out for him.

I'd still bat for the inclusion of greg to the national team...and how about sangalang as an additional big guy as backup. for PG let's see how the highly touted stanley pringle will do in the pba. if he is really that good as reported then he may be considered or maybe chris banchero. i'm not sure how old will gabe and ping be come the next fiba world, if ever we qualify again. but this is looking far ahead. kailangan manalo tayo mamaya sa senegal...and should we win, at least gilas exits on a high note. LABAN PILIPINAS!!!