Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

unless the pba can improve its status as the prime professional basketball league in the country, all i can say its already a dead end. why?

players from the pba only excel in their own field. the level of play sucks as we go, as you all know they are called professional ballers. but when the time comes to play international ball or play at a higher level of basketball where do we see our team?

they cant get their game going? they cant adjust , they cant even step up when the call for it. sabihin pa ng coach na how can we win when nakasanayan nila is sa pilipinas lang maglaro, kesyo ang dapat lang nila talunin lagi is san miguel beer that bullshit.

so your telling me that team usa who plays 82 games of nba ball in a year extending the playoffs , pre season workout, pre season games etc etc desnt have the time to adjust to international ball when called upon to play ?

example na lang sa tagal tagal na ng pba na nagpapadala ng players sa ibang bansa till now na mag 40 years old na si asi wala pa rin makitang kapalit na big man!

even with 150k a month as compare to the pba na mas malaki, i may have the max contract in the pba on my first contrac but i may not live to see my career end like it should end. look at bono after being drafted and getting a 3 yrs contract which is a lot where is he now? la liga pilipinas

sa akin huling baraha ko na ang pba, sa exposure sa level ng international games cguradong gagaling at gagaling ka kung sa pba lang ang usapan ah.

even if i am 30 yrs old, and im competitive sa international ball tingin mo ba hindi ka pipiliin compare sa isang collegiate na player? what is 20-30 points sa uaap or ncaa compare to 10-15 points in the international level of play.

Edited by launchpad

Well I'm not privy to those figures ... but from what I've read somewhere that not all get P150K per month. Players in the pool have different contracts (in terms of value).

But for discussion purpose, let us say they really are all paid P150K per month ... well in the PBA only the first year is subject to a rookie scale. Usually blue chipper would negotiate for a 2-3 year contract wherein the 1st year is 150K and it escalates on the 2nd and 3rd year. For example, in the case of BGK rookies, this is what I got from wikepedia "Wilson and Aquino were given similar two-year contracts worth P5.7 million, while Labagala got a one-year deal worth P800,000 thousand." If you will compute for their (Wilson and Aquino's) 2 year contract the ave is 237,500 per month for 2 years ... this translates to a salary of 150K a month for the 1st year and goes up to 325k on the second. So based on the example I've shown, clearly maliit un binabayad ng Gilas na 150K a month for 2 years.

So what is the point that I am driving at ... well, blue chipper like Casio and the Fil Ams may get bigger contracts and security (in terms of the # of years) signing with a team in the PBA. Yes Gilas did match what they can possibly get on the 1st year but is it willing to match what these players can possibly get on a 2-3 years contract playing in the PBA? As far as the "role players" on the Gilas team is concerned (ie. Ababou as you mentioned) well if Gilas indeed paid him 150K a month and we know that he is not worth that much, If I am Ababou then I would want to keep playing with Gilas however we all know that he is not among the players includes in the "being retained" list.

As far as the claim that playing for Gilas means being able to play longer since the team plays less games ... well Yes I agree that is a valid point. As for me I will look not only on the actual number of games played but also consider the tough physical grind a player will have to go through playing international ball. We know the level of competition in international games is tougher not to players have to play successive games on a daily basis. This could also be a cause for wear and tear thus players become more injury prone thus also the threat of a short-lived career.

Good points on the salary thing.

Would it makes just as much sense if they get P250,000/month, as is the supposed "new offer" from Gilas?

Also, I agree that playing 8 intense and highly physical games in 8 days is no walk in the park, but the PBA schedule is just as brutal. Also, I'm not so sure I'd say that international games are tougher than PBA games. The skill level may be higher but a sprained ankle hurts just as bad whether you get it playing in the PBA or in FIBA.

Edited by pinoywritingfool

Good points on the salary thing.

Would it makes just as much sense if they get P250,000/month, as is the supposed "new offer" from Gilas?

Also, I agree that playing 8 intense and highly physical games in 8 days is no walk in the park, but the PBA schedule is just as brutal. Also, I'm not so sure I'd say that international games are tougher than PBA games. The skill level may be higher but a sprained ankle hurts just as bad whether you get it playing in the PBA or in FIBA.

250k is good enough. The Top Rookie gets only 175k during the first year right?

Yes maybe it will make a difference ... then aagin the PBA will include in its agenda (for their upcoming planning session) the new salary cap for each teams as well as the possibility of increasing the 350K/month max salary for a player. A possible counter move by the PBA???

I certainly think so.

Parang yung ginawa ng Petron, para hindi mabili ng Phoenix Petroleum yung franchise nung Red Bull.

depends really on how one will view the situation. For me, players come and go and what is important is we have the syetem in place. We continue to develop players that eventually can represent the country in international tournaments. Besides, just what we've seen PBA players are usually requested as last minute addition to the team. As such, Casio and company moving up to the PBA may not be really that bad since they can still possibly play for gilas.

Yup! An effective well-drawn out 'system' is it...

If Gilas graduates went to PBA, they can also be tapped if their services is/are needed (just like Asi, Kelly, et. al.)

if tapping talents is a matter to discuss, hindi ba minsan parang pinahihirapan din ng pba ang gilas makakuha ng players or mang hiram ng players?

isa pang bagay aasahan mo bang buong puso mag lalaro mga yan e, ang contract nila sa pba hindi sa gilas. kung ma injure sila sa career nila hindi ba parang umikli na rin buhay nila sa pba?

they should just scrap the whole thing. If the current players go to the PBA, Smart Gilas has to find new players all over again. Haven't we learned from Korea, Japan, etc. that the best national teams in Asia are based on teams that have played together for years??? What we have is a revolving door of amateur players turning pro, and PBA players being lent by their mother clubs at the last minute.

This is NOT a recipe for success. Walang continuity! Let's just give the money to more deserving sports

mahirap din yung mga loaned players lang... just like what happened last time sa mga request ni coach toroman na players (norwood, yap, etc.) hindi siya napagbigyan sa mga yun dahil kailangan daw sila ng team nila. even talk and text hindi mapahiram ang ibang players nila dahil may importante makuha ang grandslam. then nung ipapahiram na nila, for approval pa sa pba board kung pwede nga magpahiram.

and one good thing about the current line up ng gilas, halos pure filipino mga naglalaro, ilan lang ang fil ams. next time magrerecruit ang gilas, sigurado mas marami na fil am niyan.

The program of Smart Gilas is actually good their only hurdle is the availability of players, we can see that as a tea they can compete against the power house of asia the problem most of the times kulang sa tao, either injured or unavailable to play. Position wise the Gilas team is OK except for the Power Forward position. The oppenents most of the times see this flaw in the Gilas line-up and that's most of the times their defensive lapses start

same as any philippine matter, the gilas is a joke why?

it is clear that their existing contracts will expire within this year, no planning has been done nor talks to players as to the continuation of the program will be. as read on newspapers and the players itself it is only recently that the program has a final say it will continue.

for players they have to plan for their future, for a national team we talk about progress. if the team is under evaluation if it would continue or not is again a question to the leaders. what can we do, this program is under one man and one man alone.

no direction or goal can be seen as a platform for this team, in short the point is win a international event and everything is over because we have redeem ourselves. dont you have team staff which include the team manager and head of basketball operations. why wouldnt this matter have been brought up to players or to management itself . . . such as they can plan earlier who are the new blood or new pool of players to be ask to try out and train.

lastly, if we qualify which is i feel malabo. we dont have the same sets of players anymore. this program is in limbo same as where the country is leading to.

tapos ngayon makikita natin parang sa news masama loob ng gilas kse iniwan sila ng players nila, mga sira ulo kayo talaga!

to say in short our govt failed us again even at the start.

waste of time and money.... I saw a game between China National Youth team against Duke University.... as expected Duke demolish the chinese team.... but what interest me is that the players of china are big and quick.... sure we may have the talent however as shown in the just cup talent is not enough.... the iranians are big and quick.... so that practically erase whatever advantage we have in talent... you cant teach height talaga... might as well disband this team.... and by the way we are still relying our players from the PBA.... so why form another team if we will end up using PBA players.....

The program of Smart Gilas is actually good their only hurdle is the availability of players, we can see that as a tea they can compete against the power house of asia the problem most of the times kulang sa tao, either injured or unavailable to play. Position wise the Gilas team is OK except for the Power Forward position. The oppenents most of the times see this flaw in the Gilas line-up and that's most of the times their defensive lapses start

correct. We have to credit MVP for that :)