Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

All-Pinoy Gilas outsmarts Syrian club, finishes third

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated January 25, 2010 12:00 AM

DUBAI – Smart Gilas Pilipinas played all-Filipino and stunned former tormentor Al Jalaa of Syria with a flawless shooting from the line, pulling off a 107-98 victory to finish third in the 21st Dubai Invitational at the Al Ahli Indoor Stadium here Saturday.

The gutsy Filipinos unleashed a 40-point effort in the fourth quarter to get back at the Syrians, backstopped by three Americans and three Brazilian-Syrians, who trounced the former, 90-76, in the opener of the tournament last week.

Mac Baracael fired 26 points, Mark Barroca broke out of a slump and scattered 18 of his 21 points in the last period while skipper Chris Tiu canned all his 12 charities to help power the Filipinos to an impressive third place finish in the tournament they could’ve won if not for a fourth quarter meltdown in their 76-79 loss to Al Riyadi of Lebanon in the semis Friday.

“I know you saw we have great character, they are fighters even if we were down because of yesterday’s (Friday’s) loss,” said Smart Gilas coach Rajko Toroman.

“We have to show mental toughness now after the loss to Al Riyadi but I think in the second half we showed wonderful basketball, a lot of aggressiveness, a lot of intensity.

“I have to congratulate the players and I’m thanking them for everything that they did here,” said Toroman.

Al Jalaa’s Demetric Shaw, a former Kent St. standout, headed straight to RP’s locker room after the game to personally congratulate the Filipinos in behalf of his team.

“In behalf of my team, congratulations, you played with a big heart, you’re the best team here,” he said.

Tiu said Smart Gilas gained more in losing to Al Riyadi, who eventually lost to Mahram of Iran, 67-85, in their title match.

“Even if we didn’t make the finals, the lessons learned, the experience gained are something that really can be very useful for us in the future and coming tournaments,” said Tiu.

“These teams are mostly national players from Asia reinforced with three imports plus naturalized players, it’s a very tough competition but we still finished third, I’m proud of the team,” he said.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala said Smart Gilas’ third place finish is a strong indicator that the country’s quest for a berth in the 2012 London Olympics is on the right track.

“It’s a major, major achievement and affirmation of the program that we have. It shows that I think the system of coach Toroman works, the players have adapted well to the system, we’re making progress especially since in this tournament we practically played with an all-Filipino lineup.

“My hats off to coach Rajko and all the players who sacrificed to be here and I think they have all matured and more importantly they gained a lot of confidence with this victory,” Eala said.

Like in its first outing, Al Jalaa came out strong and dominated the first 30 minutes of play.

During the stretch, the Syrians, who dropped a 92-94 setback to Mahram in the semis on a triple by Samad Nikkah Bahrami in the dying seconds, posted leads of as many as 35-23 in the third period.

But the Filipinos, whose campaign was sponsored by Smart and backed by Nike and GMA Pinoy TV, fought back behind Baracael, Barroca and Tiu, who knocked all their 22 free throw attempts, including 18 straight in the last two minutes to complete the stirring come-from-behind victory.

Smart Gilas notes: The Nationals left Dubai Sunday and will make a brief stop in Doha, Qatar before flying home to Manila where they are expected to arrive early Monday...JV Casio was picked as the best guard of the tournament, joining Sama Nikkah Bahrami of Mahram of Iran and former RP naturalization candidate CJ Giles of Al Riyadi of Lebanon, who were named MVP and best center, respectively, in the top roster...

The scores:

Smart Gilas 107 - Baracael 26, Barroca 21, Tiu 12, Aguilar 10, Casio 10, Lassiter 9, Cawaling 9, Ballesteros 4, Slaughter 4, Ababou 2.

Al Jalaa 98 - Maadanli 23, Correa 18, Shaw 16, Hamilton 10, Gorges 9, Al Sharif 8, Thompson 7, Meraneh 5, Papazian 2.

Quarterscores: 18-26, 40-48, 67-70, 107-98

Smart Gilas notes: The Nationals left Dubai Sunday and will take a stop in Doha, Qatar for a few hours before flying straight to Manila where they are expected to arrive early Monday...JV Casio was picked as the best guard of the whole tournament, joining the ranks of Sama Nikkah Bahrami of Mahram of Iran and former RP naturalization candidate CJ Giles of Al Riyadi of Lebanon, who were adjudged MVP and best center, respectively...After capping a grueling 20-day Middle East sojourn, the players were given the night off to do some late evening shopping and reconnect with old friends who are now working here.

All Gilas needs is a defensive center, offense is their least worry.

Make a pitch for Mr. Nate "Kryptonate" Robinson, he can bring spunk in Gilas' game.

Ngeek ... parang may disconnect sa statement mo. Eh hindi naman defensive center is Nate-Rob ah. :unsure: An offensive guard is the last of our needs. Dun na nga tayo malakas eh.

coming in third is very impressive! very impressive indeed.

i'm not proud to say this but, i think a foreign coach was instrumental in their success. kayo nalang humusga kung dahil ba yan sa superior basketball smarts o sa change in attitude.

I think it's also because the coach is focused ONLY on this team. Hindi yung nag-sc-scout o nag-re-recruit din para sa PBA mother team nya. ;)

Heard from the news that Jamal Sampson is on the way out. My opinion is why don't they recruit former Ginebra import Chris Alexander for naturalization he is an agile big man who can intimidate and has legitimate NBA experience but most of all his work ethics is impressive. By the way he is playing in Korean Basketball League now as an import.

Ngeek ... parang may disconnect sa statement mo. Eh hindi naman defensive center is Nate-Rob ah. :unsure: An offensive guard is the last of our needs. Dun na nga tayo malakas eh.

Hehehe...disconnected ba?

2 separate thoughts kasi yun master first thought is the inclusion of a defensive center for Smart Gilas, the gaping hole in the current line-up.

2nd is the longshot possibility of adding Nate Robinson to the roster, although we all know that he is a high flying offensive guard, just recently he's profiled with a Filipino lineage. Eventhough Smart Gilas' guard positions are the strongest, why not reinforce it with a monster. If Nate's Filipino lineage will be justified at FIBA, then he's not a naturalized import but a Filipino player.

Thanks for the heads-up...

I think it's also because the coach is focused ONLY on this team. Hindi yung nag-sc-scout o nag-re-recruit din para sa PBA mother team nya. ;)

good insight, something that didn't cross my mind. i should add that dabbling in politics is also a major no-no.

but when i said that a foreign coach was instrumental, i was thinking more of our local coaches (in)competency when designing plays for international competitions.

while on paper, pinoy coaches should be able to match wits with the best there is elsewhere, i think they are bogged down with being exposed to the same plays, the same players, the same circumstance day in, day out. they are not exposed to different styles of play in order for them to grow, and thus compete successfully in the international scene. kung baga, hindi sapat ang pba brand of play sa foreign tournaments. hindi siya uubra.

having the right players is also instrumental. and as this last tourney showed, an all-pinoy cast performed admirably and fit the bill as the right players. that's why i am of the opinion that the pba is actually detrimental to our success in international tournaments.

^^ Very good points sir. Many pundits keep saying that one key to success for our national team is international exposure. This should not only be for the players but for the coach/es as well. Ibang-iba talaga ang style sa international play na dapat matutunan din ng mga pinoy coaches.

press con statements of Eala says that if they fire Sampson, its possible for Smart to play without a naturalized big man for Fiba

concerned about congress going to recess soon and not having time to get the paperwork done

dba ang next Fiba Asia is next year pa?

bakit parang overly concerned naman para sa congressional calendar

congress will resume session June or July (after elections), so wouldnt they have enough time to scout and sign a new guy in before the end of the year?

i think best nga for Smart to play their 2010 training and exhibition games without a naturalized center

ma-develop si slaughter, rabeh tsaka aguilar

insert na lang ung big man some time around 8 months before Fiba Asia

Hirap din kasi maghanap na batang player with potential na pwede i-naturalize kasi mindset and priority nila ay makapasok sa NBA

well, i dont think kailangan for the naturalized player to be "that young"

basta healthy enough to be able to play through from the qualifying regionals through FIBA Asia

tsaka dapat wala na dapat development

dapat skillful and smart enough lang sya to jell with the team in matter of 6 maybe 8 months

Maybe it would help that the naturalized citizen candidate would assimilate into our culture and way of life. Yung tipo na ma-feel nila na tanggap natin as one of our own? Yung maramdaman din nila na adopted son sila ng Pilipinas. If you think about it, it will take more than money for a foreigner to play for our country as one of our own.

Maybe it would help that the naturalized citizen candidate would assimilate into our culture and way of life. Yung tipo na ma-feel nila na tanggap natin as one of our own? Yung maramdaman din nila na adopted son sila ng Pilipinas. If you think about it, it will take more than money for a foreigner to play for our country as one of our own.

that would be ideal

however, but lets be realistic

SBP struck out twice with Giles and Sampson...malabong meron pa silang makuhang ganun

i say, pay the premium for the next naturalization candidate

somebody who will definitely dominate the shaded lane

achieve muna ung goal to be represented in London

Guest megalodon

Giles was fine since he was a shot-blocker. I think the SBP is paying a premium for the naturalization candidates like Giles. The next candidate for naturalization for Smart-Gilas should also be a shot-blocking center. With the way Gilas is playing, RP is capable of finishing in the Top 3 in the Asiad.

Giles was fine since he was a shot-blocker. I think the SBP is paying a premium for the naturalization candidates like Giles. The next candidate for naturalization for Smart-Gilas should also be a shot-blocking center. With the way Gilas is playing, RP is capable of finishing in the Top 3 in the Asiad.

Without a naturalized center, at least top 4

but we are not settling for 4 are we?

Guest megalodon
Without a naturalized center, at least top 4

but we are not settling for 4 are we?

My bad. I forgot to include "with a naturalized center". Yes, with a naturalized shot-blocking center, I believe we can land in the Top 3 in the Asiad.

how bout nate robinson?

another small bwakaw guard nga naman, but he's way more talented than our current players.

1/8 fil lang nga

Malabo po ito sir, not unless kung hindi ka popular like those who are in the benchies section :D

AFAIK, hindi na sila magpapahanap sa scout nila sa US, sina Coach Toroman na ata mismo ang mag-scout for a new center as time goes, by playing international meet and invitational from other ballclub around the globe.

My bad. I forgot to include "with a naturalized center". Yes, with a naturalized shot-blocking center, I believe we can land in the Top 3 in the Asiad.

huh?!?

with an intimidating threat in the center and above-average rebounder to boot, I think Smart-Gilas can go all the way