Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

You're echoing the exact sentiments of SBP. In my opinion, this team will be in it for the long haul. I mean even after the Gilas players enter the PBA, Smart-Gilas or whatever its name will be in the future will still be our national team. If you noticed the European national teams, you see the same players year in and year out. I think SBP has been enlightened is is bound to follow suit.

Let's get this straight. Smart gilas being the national team of the future is doable specially if MVP continues to be the top honcho for the SBP. As to the players in its fold now, they have no control over them in the future specially if they decide to turn pro. lets say Tiu decides to turn pro and was drafted by any pba team other than talk and text. what will compell the pba or its mother club to allow tiu to continue playing for the gilas team if they would not agree. in short it again boils down to politics within our basketball organizations. unless the country can keep its act together, we're doomed.

Not sure if you guys heard

but Gilas has been invited to compete in Belgium some time during the Christmas week as the representative of Asia

maganda competition dun being that Russia, Brazil and the US will be represented

pero parang development team din ng Russia ang papadala but still..

kahit mangulelat...the experience of playing in this level of competition will be of great benefit to Gilas

they say its due to Toroman's reputation that Gilas got noticed and invited

definitely apektado play dates nila sa PBA

mukhang 10 games lang talaga lalaruin ng Gilas

Guest megalodon
Let's get this straight. Smart gilas being the national team of the future is doable specially if MVP continues to be the top honcho for the SBP. As to the players in its fold now, they have no control over them in the future specially if they decide to turn pro. lets say Tiu decides to turn pro and was drafted by any pba team other than talk and text. what will compell the pba or its mother club to allow tiu to continue playing for the gilas team if they would not agree. in short it again boils down to politics within our basketball organizations. unless the country can keep its act together, we're doomed.

I'm sure the PBA and SBP could work something out regarding lending the Smart-Gilas players to the national team when the players are already pros.

Guest megalodon
Not sure if you guys heard

but Gilas has been invited to compete in Belgium some time during the Christmas week as the representative of Asia

maganda competition dun being that Russia, Brazil and the US will be represented

pero parang development team din ng Russia ang papadala but still..

kahit mangulelat...the experience of playing in this level of competition will be of great benefit to Gilas

they say its due to Toroman's reputation that Gilas got noticed and invited

definitely apektado play dates nila sa PBA

mukhang 10 games lang talaga lalaruin ng Gilas

Please refer to post 342. I posted an article about it. It will be in Amsterdam.

I'm sure the PBA and SBP could work something out regarding lending the Smart-Gilas players to the national team when the players are already pros.

based on history the pba just don't lend its players if it does not call the shot. as such, how can one say that he is certain that the pba and gilas would be able to come up with something?

^^ The thing to consider is once the team starts winning (hopefully!!!) or even doing well in tournaments abroad, do you think the players would still think of joining the PBA? Compensated naman sila sa Gilas, so how much more can a PBA team offer? Are PBA teams going to offer any of these guys max contracts? Si Japeth siguro puede pa. But if you're already a star (or key contributor) to a winning team playing abroad most of the time, ipagpapalit mo pa ba yun sa PBA?

Guest megalodon
^^ The thing to consider is once the team starts winning (hopefully!!!) or even doing well in tournaments abroad, do you think the players would still think of joining the PBA? Compensated naman sila sa Gilas, so how much more can a PBA team offer? Are PBA teams going to offer any of these guys max contracts? Si Japeth siguro puede pa. But if you're already a star (or key contributor) to a winning team playing abroad most of the time, ipagpapalit mo pa ba yun sa PBA?

Yup I agree with you on your assessment dude. What I'm trying to point out to Celts is the formula used by successful countries in terms of basketball like Spain, Argentina, Greece, etc. The players of these countries have been together for a long time and to quote you "when they were still in their teens". If Smart-Gilas starts placing in the top 3 consistently (I'm quite sure it can be done) and I mean the FIBA or Asian Games, I'm pretty sure the PBA and SBP could work something out in terms of lending the same players to the national who are now with Gilas once they turn pro.

sana nga nasa tamang pagiisip ang lahat ng mga players natin. unfortunately not all think alike. just look at Roco M and Ogie Menor to name a few. these players junked the gilas team in favor of the draft since they believe they will earn more. despite the resl issues surrounding japeth, he too was blinded by turning pro before supposedly wanting to turn his back.

kaya nga sa tingin ko ang importante ay pagmamahal sa bayan ng lahat ng involve sa basketball mula sa league and team officials hanggang sa mga players. un ang importante kasi yan hindi nabibili ng pera. ang training madali basta may funding.

this is the point also am driving at pertaining to the love for country. the countries cited specifically spain for example. this team has practically half of its team playing in the nba and most are not your usual becnch warmers. they could choose not to play for the national team after a long grind but almost every summer they would want to be part of the team.

team usa for instance had experienced loosing in international competition since this was opened to nba/professional players. reason? the big names decline to play for flag and country since they would like to rest and get their tan during the summer.

Guest megalodon
this is the point also am driving at pertaining to the love for country. the countries cited specifically spain for example. this team has practically half of its team playing in the nba and most are not your usual becnch warmers. they could choose not to play for the national team after a long grind but almost every summer they would want to be part of the team.

team usa for instance had experienced loosing in international competition since this was opened to nba/professional players. reason? the big names decline to play for flag and country since they would like to rest and get their tan during the summer.

I'm pretty sure that if Smart-Gilas starts winning, these same players would still want to play for flag and country. Remember that a winner has many fathers and a loser is an orphan. Pag ikaw yung player syempre gaganahan ka coz nananalo. As a fan, diba masarap yung feeling kapag nananalo team mo. What more if you're a player. I'm confident that Coach T could make Gilas just like Iran or even better.

now somebody asked if the team starts winning or does well in international competition do we think these players will still think of turning pro? to be honest, i cannot answer this. all we can do is hope they won't to ensure continuity unless they are released. meaning they will have a mindset wherein they will say hanggang kailangan ako ng gilas para sa bayan ako maglalaro. but the premise pa lang says "if the team starts winning or does well". hindi po ba mas kailanga nga ng bayan na hindi sila mag pro kahit na we're loosing? kasi kung ang training grid nila eh 3 stages at nasa stage 2 na sila sayang naman at magisip na sila mag pro dahil sa current status nila talunan pa sila. ang punto ko pag nanatili sila, maaring makumpleto ang 3rd stage ng training at magiging competitive or mananalo na ang team. otherwise, we'll start honing new players again

Edited by CELTS

well am not saying these players should stay amatures for life ... am just trying to point out that to be able to achieve basketball glory for rp hindi lang dapat asahan programa ng sbp. dapat other stakeholders of basketball will also have and share the same vision and be willing to assist and do their share without any consideration. players should be willing to play for the country without hesitation when called upon irregardless whether they get paid or not. this is a collective effort from all sectors involved.

kaya nga sa akin ang mga statement na "am sure if we start winning" eh hindi tiyak sapagkat sa umpisa pa lamang may kaakbay na kundisyon at iyon ay kung tayo ay doing well. so ibig sabihin pag we're not doing well we are unsure if these players will continue to play. comparing it to a horse race, its the horse that runs and wins the race, the jockey just rides and guide the horse. so kung ang players ay ihahalintulad sa kabayo at ang sbp at ang coaching staff ang hinete, kahit magaling ang hinete kailanman hindi ito mananalo sa karera kung walang kabayo dahil ang kabayo ay umayaw na ng makalasap ng kabiguan.

well am not saying these players should stay amatures for life ... am just trying to point out that to be able to achieve basketball glory for rp hindi lang dapat asahan programa ng sbp. dapat other stakeholders of basketball will also have and share the same vision and be willing to assist and do their share without any consideration. players should be willing to play for the country without hesitation when called upon irregardless whether they get paid or not. this is a collective effort from all sectors involved.

kaya nga sa akin ang mga statement na "am sure if we start winning" eh hindi tiyak sapagkat sa umpisa pa lamang may kaakbay na kundisyon at iyon ay kung tayo ay doing well. so ibig sabihin pag we're not doing well we are unsure if these players will continue to play. comparing it to a horse race, its the horse that runs and wins the race, the jockey just rides and guide the horse. so kung ang players ay ihahalintulad sa kabayo at ang sbp at ang coaching staff ang hinete, kahit magaling ang hinete kailanman hindi ito mananalo sa karera kung walang kabayo dahil ang kabayo ay umayaw na ng makalasap ng kabiguan.

---

Sorry I got sonfused with the racehorse thingy ... I'm a fanatic when it come to horse racing .. hehe ...

Anyway ... Yes .. That's a problem .. Loyalty .. But that is why I admire the Spanish team .. without hesitation .. They play not for themselves .. but for their country and .. for the love of the game ...

It will be a very tough uphill climb for this young team .. there will be many challenges ahead .. I do hope they would get the proper support and needed exposure against quality opposition ...

---

Sorry I got sonfused with the racehorse thingy ... I'm a fanatic when it come to horse racing .. hehe ...

Anyway ... Yes .. That's a problem .. Loyalty .. But that is why I admire the Spanish team .. without hesitation .. They play not for themselves .. but for their country and .. for the love of the game ...

It will be a very tough uphill climb for this young team .. there will be many challenges ahead .. I do hope they would get the proper support and needed exposure against quality opposition ...

well said and that is exactly my point. as such from the start i firmly believe it still boils down to the the individuals love for their country so that all the stakeholders will be willing to sacrifice in their own little ways for the greater good.

the smart gilasteam might pull out of the pba... tune up games won't serve its purpose... now that the games with them are downgraded... how sure are we that the pba teams will just use their second or even third stringer player to avoid any more ugly confrontation or injuries with smart gilas... its a pity d natin mamemeasure yong tunay n developement ng team if the pba teams just make their match with gilas with out any sort of intensity.. it will give the gilas team a wrong sense of achievement if that is to hapen.

the smart gilasteam might pull out of the pba... tune up games won't serve its purpose... now that the games with them are downgraded... how sure are we that the pba teams will just use their second or even third stringer player to avoid any more ugly confrontation or injuries with smart gilas... its a pity d natin mamemeasure yong tunay n developement ng team if the pba teams just make their match with gilas with out any sort of intensity.. it will give the gilas team a wrong sense of achievement if that is to hapen.

what is the true reason behind the pba now claiming that the games between the gilas team shall no longer part of the pba team's win-loss record?

as it is, could be another sample of the pba protecting its own turf. eto na nga ba sinasabi ko from the start, our basketball stakeholders are not in unity for the best interest of the national team.

first and foremost kaya nga sila sumali sa pba as guest team is to get the proper exposure in real game scenarios as well as to toughen them up. now exhibition games na lang .. parang scrimmage ba?

For me ... I think the PBA brand of play is not suited for Smart Gilas .. It just confuses the players ....

I think that its better for them to look for some FIBA type competition outside of the country ...

this is if the gilas team will adopt to the pba brand of play. however, if gilas will continue to run its pattern and execute the way it should be i don't see any problem with that.

some posters in this thread says that this could be similar to the ncc team. the ncc team honed their skills in the pba prior to winning the jones cup and abc.

yes, its maybe better to get fiba type competition. but what if there are no tournaments available? i believe it is still better to play real games than scrimmage.

whether its pba or fiba rules as long as the players has the talent and thebasic basketball iq they can achieve what they are set to achieve. it won't take you two years to learn the rule of either fiba or pba...look at the international players that played in the NBA... they can easily adopt to whatever rules in whatever league they play.... as long as we have the size? Talent? and skills?

Guest megalodon
whether its pba or fiba rules as long as the players has the talent and thebasic basketball iq they can achieve what they are set to achieve. it won't take you two years to learn the rule of either fiba or pba...look at the international players that played in the NBA... they can easily adopt to whatever rules in whatever league they play.... as long as we have the size? Talent? and skills?

Actually the European players have a period of adjustment. They just don't barge in the NBA and make an impact. In my opinion, it's easier for players to adjust from FIBA rules to NBA rules than from NBA rules to FIBA rules. The NBA rules are more lenient compared to FIBA rules.

well some european players were able to make a a quick impact in the NBA... PAU GASOL was rookie of the year.... tony parker was able to get his ring in a couple of years tenure with the spurs.... the skills swing both ways... look at vince carter still toiling around and haven't gotten over his much hype career... if a player is talented enough he could easily adjust to whatever league he is going to play with.... YAO ming has also a successful start with the NBA.... i've follow the JONES CUP and one insightful comment made by one of the broadcaster is that we are slow on our feet... ergo we commit a lot of fouls by grabing the our opponent.... we can blame the rules for our lost.... because all the countries are also playing with such set of rules.... it applies to all team.... a team that is talented enough could easily play with any rules given to them and we don't need one year to play together to know the rules....

a case inpint is that the PBA TEAMS hire american import to beef up their line up come the second conference and those import were able to adjust to our rules as soon as they start playing.... therefore this layers really have talent to adjust.... kelly williams was able to win he rookie of the hear award without much experience with philippine basketball except for a short stint with the PBL....

Guest megalodon

^^Which is why I said that it is easier for players who have been playing under FIBA rules like Gasol to adjust from FIBA rules to NBA rules coz the NBA rules are more lenient.

Edited by megalodon