Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Gilas made a spirited comeback from a 10-point deficit in the 4th quarter to almost win it. Perez and Ravena were the goats in this game. They had 5 seconds to shoot the ball but Perez seemed to be unaware until the last 2 seconds when he had to hoist a hurried shot which was way off target. He also bungled an easy layup that went in and out in overtime that could have tied the ball game. Blatche should have been aware of Reggie Moore when he made that crucial three-point shot to make Angola take the lead. On the offensive end, I don't know why Blatche had to take that fade-away shot in overtime when he could have just driven. The young guns, Ravena and Perez, gave us the lead but they were also the two goats. Perez is no doubt talented and is a franchise player but he needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass. Why Ravena over Castro? Castro is more controlled and would not have done what he did. If RDO, Castro and Alapag were on the team instead of Ravena, Pogoy and Perez, I am pretty sure we win this game.

Edited by will robie

Nakakainit ng ulo yung sagot ni Perez:

"It's my decision," Perez would say of the play. "I was supposed to drive that. Maybe lack of experience maybe. But if . . . I don’t know."

"I think I should drive that. Maybe I can make the shot," he said.

Bobo ka talaga, Perez! Your stupidity cost us the f#&king game.

It does'nt matter of we lose by 1 or 100 the most important part is the experience we gained and the lessons learned hopefully these maybe helpful in our buildup for the future teams we will be sending hirap kasi sa atin after this back to zero na naman tayo

lagi na lng bang lessons learned eh hehehe just kidding

kakainis si Aba'y aka Junemar... nganga tlaga sa international competition.

kahit san pa tayong group ilagay... mahihirapan tayo manalo ng isang game.

That's it. I'm done supporting this version of Gilas. So many boneheaded plays. Blatche out of sync with Junemar and Japeth. CJ Perez played well until he channeled his inner JR Smith at the end of regulation. Kiefer Ravena playing hero ball when he's obviously not ready yet. Yeng Guiao opting to play Kiefer over Bolick, Barroca, or Paul Lee in the end game. This team is just plain terrible.

It's time to reset the national team program.

Amen my friend. Same old story...same old problem for Philippine basketball. Apparently, our basketball heads never learned their lessons.

Allow me...

Let's say amen to this team, and yes, we should scrap Gilas from our name. Isn't Team Filipinas or Philippines not good enough on the shirts of the national team?

Also I read here that our players were not ready for the international style of play. But if I am not mistaken there are a lot of NBA players too in other teams. Do they play the international style in the NBA? I'm not sure of that, but look when it comes to international tourneys, these pros easily switch to international style. The only difference I can see is the coach. So if you have PBA players, with a PBA coach, then amen to the international style. You can't make them play a different style overnight.

May pa-training-training camp pa sa Spain, pweh! Ano yun - junket? namasyal lang dun?

I really thought that with their style of play maybe Angola will also beat them. See what happened.

Yung mga lamang na 46 points or 59 points nangyayari lang yan nung araw kung for example US vs. an African country, for example. It is very clear now that we have no progression anymore. We have gone down to the depths of those miserable African teams or Asian teams before.

Let's face it. PBA exists for entertainment and business and not a training ground for success in the international arena.

Just to prove this point - look at what that dumb commisioner said, that Wlly Marcial - that the gates and attendance of the next PBA conference will surely go down because based on history ganito daw talaga nangyayari pag talunan ang national team.

Now what are our priorities?

It looks like it's gonna be a dogfight in the classification stage. We are grouped with Iran, Angola and Tunisia. We have games against Tunisia and Iran. Tunisia is a two-time FIBA-Africa champion so it will be a tough out. As for Iran, we are already familiar with this team. They still have Haddadi. This team had Puerto Rico on the ropes and would have advanced to the second round but they choked under pressure. The Iran-Gilas game has Olympic qualifying implications so I really hope we win this two games in order to have a chance to qualify in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. No more "hero-ball" from Perez and Ravena. The classification round will be an easier route to the Olympics as the Olympic qualifying tournament in 2020 will be tougher. If we somehow qualify for the Olympics in this tournament, as much as I am a Tab supporter, Yeng should coach the team for the Olympics.

Speaking of Puerto Rico, they had luck on their side as they beat Tunisia by three points via a late-game three pointer. Nakachamba sa Iran tapos nakachamba na naman sa Tunisia. :lol:

Edited by will robie

The overwhelming hype on the Gilas squad also led ordinary fans to stand up and wait, hoping for at least a proud fighting stand from the Philippine side—“Laban Pilipinas, Puso!”

It didn’t take a full half against Italy to expose that the qualities ticked off by the Philippine coaching staff were pure fiction.

The end result of a shallow and sick national basketball program—granting there’s one—saw the national team ending up as a primetime disaster.

Once again, there’s this tired call for reform and renewal.

There’s urgent need for re-direction.

The Gilas Philippine basketball team can’t stay indefinitely as a national nightmare.

Mernwhile, there’s news that national beanpole Kai Sotto has grown another inch taller.

But, before everything else, they should muster some common sense and re-programming before plunging into the next Gilas national team venture, and be disappointed again; amidst the coming of the next 'Messiah,' named Kai Sotto

The overwhelming hype on the Gilas squad also led ordinary fans to stand up and wait, hoping for at least a proud fighting stand from the Philippine side—“Laban Pilipinas, Puso!”

It didn’t take a full half against Italy to expose that the qualities ticked off by the Philippine coaching staff were pure fiction.

The end result of a shallow and sick national basketball program—granting there’s one—saw the national team ending up as a primetime disaster.

Once again, there’s this tired call for reform and renewal.

There’s urgent need for re-direction.

The Gilas Philippine basketball team can’t stay indefinitely as a national nightmare.

Mernwhile, there’s news that national beanpole Kai Sotto has grown another inch taller.

But, before everything else, they should muster some common sense and re-programming before plunging into the next Gilas national team venture, and be disappointed again; amidst the coming of the next 'Messiah,' named Kai Sotto

In fairness to Gilas, they had the most difficult group. Serbia is a potential champion while Italy had three current or former NBA players and ranked 13th in the world. We weren't gonna win against Serbia but we had a puncher's chance against Italy had Tab been the coach. Yeng let the players decide for themselves in the early going when it was obvious that Gilas needed a timeout to compose themselves in the Italy game. The Angola game was the most disappointing as Gilas had a chance to win the game in regulation. However, an imbecilic play by Perez cost us the game.

We qualified for the FIBA-Worlds and our team is one of the best in Asia. Before the SBP, we couldn't even be a top 3 team in the FIBA-Asia after 1986. We have been in two successive FIBA-Worlds and had two silvers in the 2013 and 2015 FIBA-Asia so our basketball program has improved by leaps and bounds. I remember when the BAP was at the helm of Philippine basketball, our basketball program was the "sick man of Asia". We got spoiled because of our recent successes in qualifying for the FIBA-Worlds and two silvers in the FIBA-Asia, one of which could have been a gold if not for the "Lutong Macau" in the 2015 FIBA-Asia finals that is why we think of our performance here as a debacle but in the context of Philippine basketball, we are at par with anyone in the Asian region and based on our performance in the 2014 FIBA-Worlds and 2016 Olympic qualifers, we are at par with the rest of the world. We are currently ranked 31st so our level of play is not far from the rest of the world except, maybe, the top 10 ranked teams. In the 2016 Olympic qualifiers, the number 3-ranked team in the world, France, beat us by 9 points only and ever led by 7 points at one point in the first quarter and that team had NBA stars, Rudy Gobert, Tony Parker and Boris Diaw.

Our basketball program is doing well. We just need a new coach. However, if we somehow qualify for the Olympics in this tournament, Yeng deserves to coach in the Olympics.

Edited by will robie

Gilas will have to beat Tunisia on Friday and Iran on Sunday and hope that China loses both its games against Nigeria and Korea. If that happens, Gilas will finish with an overall record of 2-3 while China will finish at 1-4. If Gilas ties China at 2-3, China will most likely get the nod due to point differential, unless the hosts lose one of their classification games by a margin large enough to eclipse Gilas' average losing margin.

This goes without saying that the other Asian teams have to also finish with only one win at the most.

Edited by will robie

gilas will have to first do its job chief. we can only hope and pray after that. that loss against angola was such a tough pill to swallow. goes to show the lack of international exposure of the team. how i wish coach tab was there. who knows what could've happened? i still remember that last second shot by matt nieto against the taiwan national team "A". a perfectly designed play to win it for the collegiate team. but that's another story :)

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest mistake is not having Romeo in lineup. That's unforgivable. You would want to introduce new players to the team at the start of the qualifiers NOT at the actual World Cup.

But also the lack of sound plays and system are also factors.

Injuries to Wright, Lassiter and Erram also are big factors as those are top shooters.

Gilas needs a different dimension playing in international games I think we ought to get a coach outside of PBA someone with experience in international games close to my mind is TabBaldwin . Yeng Style of coaching is just for PBA style I respect him but not happy with it.We should also incorporate a lot of training in Shooting especially the three point area even out big men should learn that I noticed all euro teams are excellent in threes parang sure Ball lagi. Ball movement and also less one on one plays.

• Like (+1) 1

Technically speaking, Japan has two players in the NBA. Yuta Watanabe of the Grizzlies (two-way contract) and Rui Hachimura of the Wizards. Japan is not our whipping boy anymore so in the next FIBA-Asia, they should be meticulously planned against.

Even if the USA made minced meat of Japan in their game last night, Japan has to be respected in the Asian region.

On another note, I just noticed that the Serbian players have no ego. The Joker, who is the best center in the NBA, does not complain even if he does not start. I bet if Lechoke James did not start for Team USA, he'd have the coach's head. :lol:

Edited by will robie

Gilas needs a different dimension playing in international games I think we ought to get a coach outside of PBA someone with experience in international games close to my mind is TabBaldwin . Yeng Style of coaching is just for PBA style I respect him but not happy with it.We should also incorporate a lot of training in Shooting especially the three point area even out big men should learn that I noticed all euro teams are excellent in threes parang sure Ball lagi. Ball movement and also less one on one plays.

Coach Tab is perfect for the international game. The problem is the PBA is against Tab coaching. So if we want a sustainable and reliable program, it has to be either we go with Tab and amateur players (think Kai Sotto and collegiate players) with no PBA links. This way they can control schedule of practices and tune up games without having to bend over backwards with the PBA's sched. Easier said than done though.

Coach Tab is perfect for the international game. The problem is the PBA is against Tab coaching. So if we want a sustainable and reliable program, it has to be either we go with Tab and amateur players (think Kai Sotto and collegiate players) with no PBA links. This way they can control schedule of practices and tune up games without having to bend over backwards with the PBA's sched. Easier said than done though.

Its a long shot but to be more competitive man lang sana,let us make it simple goal. Try muna natin talunin ang China ,Korea and Iran ,I mean Asia muna.. international brand of play more of european sana.. sana local coaches natin mabuksan na mata nila sa ganun di puro larong NBa

This FIBA-Worlds has been an utter disappointment for Gilas. This team does not have the heart and competitive ferocity of the 2014 team. Another slow start killed Gilas. It happened against Italy and it happened tonight against Tunisia. The SBP should consider Tab Baldwin. Yeng and Chot are just not cut out to coach in the international arena.

If Tab should coach Gilas again, he should take out the dead wood, namely, Norwood and Aguilar because Norwood and Aguilar don't have the fearlessness to take it to the basket. They are offensive liabilities. This is conjecture but if Norwood and Aguilar can drive fearlessly to the basket, both would be in the NBA although both of them will probably ride the bench. They're done. Another player that has to be taken out is Ravena. He's too small and is not quick enough to get by the players guarding him.