Mini Laptops

Coupled with a really small projector, this is a great tool for presentations in terms of transportability. Plus the fact it uses solid-state technology for the HD (although still expensive). However, my threshold for getting this is that it should be at least 70% cheaper than the cheapest full size laptop available for at least the 4Gig version.

But overall, it is in my top wishlist. Just fyi, my office mate was able to run XP O/S via USB (although I wonder why he did that because Linux is less virus prone) and is now studying the possibility of running MAC O/S.

Good day to all of you MTC techies I'm not good in technology but I am eying this as a gift for my wife, can she make power presentations with this? MS word and MS office sorry, ha i was hoping someone with patience can kindly explain this to me thanks again

Yes but it is not advisable. Unless of course you'd want to give your wife finger cramps.

Good day to all of you MTC techies I'm not good in technology but I am eying this as a gift for my wife, can she make power presentations with this? MS word and MS office sorry, ha i was hoping someone with patience can kindly explain this to me thanks again

Bro, I have a friend who gave this laptop to his wife as a gift last christmas. Since the wife regularly does powerpoint presentations, he got this so that the his wife doesn't have to lug their other big laptop around and she loves it. I think what she does is that she prepares her presentation in the other PC (which I'm supposing is faster) and saves the presentation in an SD card. Then she goes to her presentations with this Asus, which has a slot for an SD card, and uses this in connection with the projector.

Guest Leviticus
Bro, I have a friend who gave this laptop to his wife as a gift last christmas. Since the wife regularly does powerpoint presentations, he got this so that the his wife doesn't have to lug their other big laptop around and she loves it. I think what she does is that she prepares her presentation in the other PC (which I'm supposing is faster) and saves the presentation in an SD card. Then she goes to her presentations with this Asus, which has a slot for an SD card, and uses this in connection with the projector.

it's what my uncle does too. before he used to bring 2 bags: one bag for his laptop and another for the projector. 2 ENORMOUS bags. now with the asus EEE he only brings 1 medium bag.

it's actually funny since the accessories of the asus EEE are bulkier than the unit itself (the mouse, headset, wires of the projector).

you can run all MS office apps via OpenOffice in the eeepc...no problem there with compatibility so far...

next to portability and convenience, a plus factor for getting one is the price (and yes, while there are now a slew of UMPCs out in the market, nothing IMHO can still beat asus with its eeepc)

our office has now ten (10) eeepcs in use, six blacks, three whites, and one pink...:P

Edited by koopahl
Guest Leviticus
you can run all MS office apps via OpenOffice in the eeepc...no problem there with compatibility so far...

next to portability and convenience, a plus factor for getting one is the price (and yes, while there are now a slew of UMPCs out in the market, nothing IMHO can still beat asus with its eeepc)

our office has now ten (10) eeepcs in use, six blacks, three whites, and one pink...:P

napansin mo ba na iba ang texture ng black and white units? sa white ay smooth while sa black ay rough.

Guest lustfortravel
This eeepc is great! I've been using this for 3 months now! No regrets! Meron pang skype and wi fi installed that I find very handy pag nasa airport and biyahe ako.

i'm curious - how do you get internet access while in the airport? are you using smartbro? i also use my asus for travels since it is lighter. my presentations are already stored in a flash disk anyway.

the NEO line has launched an Asus EEE/Astone UMPC counterpart...the Neo Explore X1....it runs on Windows XP Starter, 512 MB SDRAM and has a carrying case, same stuff (WiFi, SD slots, USB Slots, etc)

drawback is aesthetics...it looks like those V-Tech laptop toys or a Fisher Price laptop toy replica...

the upside is it looks tough & rugged (solid build/construction) and instead of a 4 GB SS HDD, it has a 30 GB PATA HDD

sells around 16.9 K up

:D

Edited by orionpax
the NEO line has launched an Asus EEE/Astone UMPC counterpart...the Neo Explore X1....it runs on Windows XP Starter, 512 MB SDRAM and has a carrying case, same stuff (WiFi, SD slots, USB Slots, etc)

drawback is aesthetics...it looks like those V-Tech laptop toys or a Fisher Price laptop toy replica...

the upside is it looks tough & rugged (solid build/construction) and instead of a 4 GB SS HDD, it has a 30 GB PATA HDD

sells around 16.9 K up

:D

hmm looks enticing for the price....

but for it being a Neo... parang mahirap pagkatiwalaan..

Guest Leviticus
hmm looks enticing for the price....

but for it being a Neo... parang mahirap pagkatiwalaan..

ngek.. walang video out? nubayan.. there goes the presentation factor. tapos hindi sexy ang itsura. looks fat <_< don't get me wrong.. I own a neo laptop and it has served my purposes well for nearly 2 years already.

sa asus eee pa rin ako..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus

hay.. I've just sent the asus EEE unit I had been using for a month to my gf abroad. she's loving it.

while me on the other hand feels deprived. I'm back on my one-year-old neo laptop. sakit sa balikat :(

unlike before naka asus eee ako hindi problema ang mobility, no power brick to carry. hay.. gonna get me another unit. kakatuwa nga eh.. every time I use that laptop I was wishing I was back in college. kung sana merong ganun nung college ako ano? swerte ng generation na eto for having that kind of mobility around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one and am presently using it. Got the 4G model with video cam at the Taiwan Airport for around 16K (same model sells for 18.5k in Greenhills).

This laptop, when partnered with a portable HDD (WD Passport 250 is what I have) is real nifty for travelling- the purpose for which I have bought it. It gives me the chance to store the multitude of pictures I take on a trip and not to worry about my camera's memory cards filling up. And It also allows me to surf and send e-mail in the comfort of my hotel rooms that have wi-fi connectivity.

However, as I have discovered, it does have drawbacks.

It's keyboard ls so small that it will take getting used to for you to type reasonably fast error-free (the cursor kept jumping lines when I first used it). Don't know if I should blame my stubby and clumsy fingers though. :-)

The screen is so small that it can't display web pages in its' entirety, prompting you to keep on scrolling up and down, left and right. Plus, when viewing pictures of high resolution (5 megapixels in my case), the pictures come out pixellated. But then again, it might be my aging eyes. :lol:

Computing power, as expected is labored. In my experience, it took 4x longer to download or transfer files.

Overall, I wouldn't sell my desktop and my other laptop and replace it with this Asus eee altogether. When I'm in the comfort of my home or the office, I'd still rely on the 2 former PC's for faster, more detailed work (try running photoshop in this little bugger). However, when travelling for leisure, I reckon nothing will beat the latter.

I say when considering buying this PC, study exactly what you expect of it. If it fits the bill, go get one.

Post script.

I still haven't decided if I will change it's current O.S. (Linux) to Windows XP once I get home. While it runs reasonably well at the moment (and I'm getting the hang of LInux more by the minute), I'm not sure if it would run as smoothly with Windows.

Guest Leviticus
However, as I have discovered, it does have drawbacks.

It's keyboard ls so small that it will take getting used to for you to type reasonably fast error-free (the cursor kept jumping lines when I first used it). Don't know if I should blame my stubby and clumsy fingers though. :-)

The screen is so small that it can't display web pages in its' entirety, prompting you to keep on scrolling up and down, left and right. Plus, when viewing pictures of high resolution (5 megapixels in my case), the pictures come out pixellated. But then again, it might be my aging eyes. :lol:

Post script.

I still haven't decided if I will change it's current O.S. (Linux) to Windows XP once I get home. While it runs reasonably well at the moment (and I'm getting the hang of LInux more by the minute), I'm not sure if it would run as smoothly with Windows.

yup.. the keyboard is small but after a day of typing on it I finally got the hang of it (and embarrassingly, I admit I have chubby fingers). the trick is to type with your fingertips and not your fingers as you would normally do with an ordinary keyboard.

and yes.. webpages do get a little cluttered with it, especially if I view youtube videos (it's so hard to center the screen so that you get the small video panel of youtube). I often simply use the full screen feature of youtube to watch videos.

but there is a small trick so that you won't have to keep on scrolling on webpages. on mozilla firefox press F11 to enable the full webpage display.

the EEE PC is cool but as everyone else said, its hard getting used to the small keyboard. for me the trackpad and button feel a little cheap.

for those looks to buy, keep an eye out for dead pixels when the seller allows you to test, even if the unit is fresh out of the box! when i was shopping around for one, two models before the one i purchased had dead pixels.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost got one when I was buying a laptop...my bro said that it is affordable because its less than 20k..but the catch is..the max that time was just a 4gb HDD..it could store that many files..thought about the portable HDD but of course its USB and you also need to carry it around..convenient because of the size..another problem is the screen size..its so small that I need to look closely at it and you will need to scroll to completely see what you have on screen,,the other alternative is the NEO X1..it has a 30GB HDD..looks like a Vtech toy laptop for kids..hehe,,but the screen is also 7 inches...the asus pc is great for people who don't really store files on the HDD,,used for browsing the internet only..

It is what it is, a pocket rocket (almost) and barely enough. As it is advertised, it is good for basic use. It is not for power users.

For a college dude or for non-techies, it is a great deal.

I still abhor the idea of looking at a small screen. It is the price you pay for scrimping (or having a low budget). You get what you pay for.

If you can spare a few more thousands, get a real laptop that can take you places. this Eee is for starters.

Guest Leviticus
It is what it is, a pocket rocket (almost) and barely enough. As it is advertised, it is good for basic use. It is not for power users.

For a college dude or for non-techies, it is a great deal.

I still abhor the idea of looking at a small screen. It is the price you pay for scrimping (or having a low budget). You get what you pay for.

If you can spare a few more thousands, get a real laptop that can take you places. this Eee is for starters.

hehe.. I have a "real laptop" and I hate it. nowadays it's used more as a desktop with a built-in UPS. why do I hate my "real laptop"?

• it's too heavy to lug around
  • the power brick is too bulky
  • the power cord and wires are a bother to sort out each and every time I have to pack up and go
  • oh.. on my "real laptop".. I can't actually place it on my "lap top" and work on it on my "lap". the irony of names.

oh.. and the part where you said "you get what you pay for" and "a few thousands", what if the buyer does not have the "few thousands"? hanggang dito lang ang kaya gastusin. if it's only for presentation, light office work, surfing and email, chatting; do you really need all those bells and whistles offered by the more expensive laptops? the point is.. are there any other laptops with the capabilities of the EEE that is priced as such? the HP is coming up with a similar UMPC but would be priced more as compared to the asus eee.

my gf has my eee and she totally loves it, is the envy of her board mates. why does she love it? it suites her needs. if the specifications of the eee does not match up to your needs then don't get it. go get a real laptop (or better yet, a desktop).

and no.. this eee does not only appeal to the students and the nontechie. on the contrary.. the techies are the buyers of these eee. search around the internet for blogs and reviews on the eee. these were written by bloggers, techie, gadget enthusiasts, etc.

Edited by Leviticus

got my eee pc 900 last weekend at suntec for 798 SGD, during harvey norman roadshow. very portable siya at madaling gamitin. like HK, may free upgrade din ng battery dito sa singapore from 4800 to 5800. na-register ko na itong sa akin sa asus, tawagan na lang daw nila ako kapag available na yung free upgrade battery ko.

balak ko na ito ang main pc ko, mag-uupgrade na lang ako sa Dell XPS laptop kapag meron akong kailanganin na feature na wala dito sa eee pc.