Tire & Wheel Talk - All about Tires & Wheels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

tanong lang mga Bossing: I am using a 14" wheel for my...If I will change it with 15"...Will it affect my gas mileage? How about performance which is better?

tingin ko minimal effect lang yan so you won't be able to feel a big difference...both gas mileage and performance!

unless you change it to bigger rims and low profile tires then you'll feel a big difference

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tanong lang mga Bossing: I am using a 14" wheel for my...If I will change it with 15"...Will it affect my gas mileage? How about performance which is better?

Using larger diameter wheels while maintaining the tire aspect ratio (going from 195-70/14 to 195-70/15) is not good for your car's drivetrain. You in effect change your gear ratios to something your car was not designed for and it will increase the strain on your transmission and differential and propeller shafts too. In addition your speedometer will be under reading (you will be going faster than what your speedometer says) and your acceleration should suffer because your gear ratios have become taller. Logic will imply that you get more fuel economy as your wheels have to make fewer revolutions to cover the same distance but you will also consume more fuel getting up to speed and incfease wear on your brakes.

I suggest you use the Plus 1 rule when you want to use bigger wheels. As you go up on inch in diameter you go down one step in tire sidewall aspect ratio. for instance:

195/65-14 => 195/60-15 =>205/55-16 => 205/50-17 =>215/40-18