Computers: Frequently Asked Questions

OMG, 75t? Overpriced! I guess there are import duties to pay, pero ang alam ko bumaba na ang duties from the US for electronics eh. Sa US kasi, it's being sold for anywhere from US$ 900 to US$ 1,300 depending on how high end the specs are (for example, the RAM can be upgraded up to 8 gig.) If it's P75,000 as described above, well that's overpriced. Mga nasa US$ 900 lang ang ganung setup sa HP website mismo.

OMG, 75t? Overpriced! I guess there are import duties to pay, pero ang alam ko bumaba na ang duties from the US for electronics eh. Sa US kasi, it's being sold for anywhere from US$ 900 to US$ 1,300 depending on how high end the specs are (for example, the RAM can be upgraded up to 8 gig.) If it's P75,000 as described above, well that's overpriced. Mga nasa US$ 900 lang ang ganung setup sa HP website mismo.

yes it's 75k - well the 23" touch screen alone costs about 25k to 30k - it's available at Abenson/Electroworld and Accent Micro. btw, are you sure about the processor? the brochure i got says Core 2 Duo T6600

Edited by rmpilar
  • 4 weeks later...

Question po, I want to buy a laptop for myself gusto ko gamitin for gaming (Neverwinter Nights iinstall ko, maganda daw yun eh alam ko matagal na yun pero gusto ko pa din yun), watching DVDs, net surfing (mabilis), music din. Ano po ba recommended mo na sakto sa hanap ko pero affordable price pa din.. pahingi po ng brand name, OS na recommended, at mga specs na dapat ko sabihin sa merchant. Many thanks!

proc: Intel Core i7-920 (2.66G) 8mb LGA1366 P13620

mobo: ECS X58B-A2 X58/ddr3/pcie/S/GL P7750

dvd drive: Lite-On 24x IHAS-424/224 sata L.Scribe P1330

ram: Corsair 4GB XMS3 1333 (2ddr3 x2) P8320

hard disk: 500gb Western Digital SATA P2340

keyboard: P350

mouse: P350

casing: P2000

power supply: CMaster M600 Silent Pro 600w modula P5410

total amount: P48.430

triple channel memory module dapat bro mas optimized un for lga1366

Currently meron akong "maling" customize n PC(I did it) coz i'm still a newbie on customizing...

Processor: Intel i5 661(3.33Ghz)

Mother Board: MSI P55-GD80

RAM: 2gb kingston ddr3

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5770

Power Supply: Silverstone 600W

DVD-ROM: LG DVD-R lightscribe

HDD: Seagate 1 TB

I want it to upgrade to more efficient gaming platform

What should I change?

How much it will cost?

Currently meron akong "maling" customize n PC(I did it) coz i'm still a newbie on customizing...

Processor: Intel i5 661(3.33Ghz)

Mother Board: MSI P55-GD80

RAM: 2gb kingston ddr3

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5770

Power Supply: Silverstone 600W

DVD-ROM: LG DVD-R lightscribe

HDD: Seagate 1 TB

I want it to upgrade to more efficient gaming platform

What should I change?

How much it will cost?

Processor: As long as you are not into playing:

"Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2" - runs better if your conputer has 3 cores

'Battlefield - Bad Company 2 - runs better of your computer has 3 cores etc . . .

You will be fine with a 2 core processor

Ram: you need 4 gigabyte

Graphics: As long as your monitor was set at 1366x768, you don't need to upgrade your cards.

Processor: As long as you are not into playing:

"Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2" - runs better if your conputer has 3 cores

'Battlefield - Bad Company 2 - runs better of your computer has 3 cores etc . . .

You will be fine with a 2 core processor

Ram: you need 4 gigabyte

Graphics: As long as your monitor was set at 1366x768, you don't need to upgrade your cards.

Thanks... and how much might be the damage for the proc and RAM and what brand for the RAM is the best?

BTW my OS was just 32bit Vista Premium my brother got it wrong when I ask him to buy 64 bit Vista....

Edited by funn

If you have already bought Intel i5 661, I don't find it logical to upgrade to a 4 core processor because:

1. Up to now, only a few games are designed to take advantage of a 4 core processor.

2. Games that are not designed to take advantage of a 4 core processor will not run any smoother.

3. On games that are not designed to take advantage of a 4 core processor, the Intel i5 661 will perform as well or even better than some 4 core processor.

well someone said that I did not maximize my system to it's full potential...esp I bought MSI P55-GD80 w/c a way impractical to combine to the proc i5 661...

well i'm asking if I can still redo my mistakes and customize another system unit using those I replaced in my current system... and how much damage might it cost?

planning to have the second PC by correcting my mistakes here...

I feel that it is more urgent to upgrade your memory first. And adding a 'Kingston' 2GB 1333 ddr3 @P2,290 is good enough.

If you feel the urge to 'future-proof' your desktop, I suggest getting a Intel Core i5-750 (2.66G) 8mb LGA1156 @P10,140.

Like I said earlier, your videocard won't give you problems as long as games are played at a resolution of 1366x768. This resolution is supported by most 16 and 18.5 inch monitors. However, if you have plans to play at a resolution of 1920x1080 which is commonly used by 21.5, 23, 24, and 25 inch monitors, I suggest changing your videocard to Inno3D GTX460 1gb ddr5 256b @ P11,390

Question po, I want to buy a laptop for myself gusto ko gamitin for gaming (Neverwinter Nights iinstall ko, maganda daw yun eh alam ko matagal na yun pero gusto ko pa din yun), watching DVDs, net surfing (mabilis), music din. Ano po ba recommended mo na sakto sa hanap ko pero affordable price pa din.. pahingi po ng brand name, OS na recommended, at mga specs na dapat ko sabihin sa merchant. Many thanks!

How much is your budget? "Affordable" has different meaning to different people. Personally, i don't consider "gaming laptops" affordable to the average Filipino (some can go up to 3,000 to 4,000 US dollars, as much as a decent second hand car...yes that's not in Peso). I'm assuming that you have more than a 80K budget, you would want to look at a laptop with a dedicated GPU (preferably one that is made by Nvidia or ATI with its own dedicated memory of at least 256MB and NOT memory shared with the CPU). Look at Nvidia and ATI's website to check out their current crop of GPUs for laptops (i personally wouldn't go lower than a Geforce 9600M GT or its ATI counterpart)

Any current CPU from Intel (i do not recommend Core i7 since the price is exorbitantly high)or AMD (AMD currently sell the cheapest quad-core CPU's)will do.

For RAM, (if you're OS is 32-bit) go for 4 Gigs of DDR3 1333 in dual channel mode (2 sticks of 2GB memory modules)

For OS, go for Windows 7 Home edition (32-bit; since very few games are programmed to run on 64-bit).

As always, i really do not give priority to "brand names" since you pay much much more. But if you're dead-set on a gaming laptop, Alienware, Dell XPS, and Voodoo are quite good. These cost an arm and a leg though, plus only a few vendors actually sell these brands.

**In my opinion, it beats the latest Apple iMac in every respect, even in the looks department! Question is, is it already here in the Phils? I've gone the rounds of computer shops in Greenhills, and by the looks of it, it still isn't. Anyone in the PC industry here know when it arrives?

I don't think so.. the latest iMac has already Intel Core i7 processor :

LED 21,5 and 27" screen for the new iMac

The new iMac will now come in 2 screen sizes which are 21,5" and 27" with LED technology inside offering the full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 in 21,5" and even ubove on the 27" giant 16:9 screen with a resolutin of 2560 x 1440 pixels.

The contrast ratio is expected to reach 1000 : 1 which would lead to vibrant colors and deeper darker blacks. Photographers beware ! When usual screens need a delay to come to their maximum brightness, these LED displays offer their maximum as soon as they are on and don't suffer from vignette displaying a stable brightness level on their entire surface.

Core i5 et i7 Quad-core processors

The new 21,5" iMac as well as the 27" iMac, in their entry level version, embed a traditionnal Core 2 Duo Intel processor while, and it becomes quit einteresting, in their upgrade versions, they offer the very new Intel Core i5 and even i7 as an extra choice. The power of Quad core processor in an imac should allow your desktop to remain updated for a long time.

iMac : SD card reader, wireless keyboard and new Magic Mouse

The new iMac more and more looks like a professional powerful desktop, therefore, Apple preserved its Firewire 800 port. It will also come with a built-in SD memory card reader to download photos or videos from you memory card without having to use any external card reader. That is a cool and great feature we found on the macBook pro.

In addition to that, the latest iMac will be the first Apple computer to come with the new multi-touch Magic mouse as well as a redesigned wireless keyboard.

Prices and availability of the new iMac

An other very good surprise : the price tag of the new line is clearly lower than the previous generation, this is good ! The entry level model, yet, is sold at the same price as before.

• 21,5" Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, GeForce 9400M and 500 GB : $1199

• 21," Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Radeon HD4670/256 and 1 TB : $1499

• 27" Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Radeon HD4670/256 and 1 TB : $1699

• 27 " Core i5 (4-Core processor) 2.66 GHz, Radeon HD4850/512 and 1 TB : $1999

Optional Core i7 (4-Core processor) 2.8 GHz worth $199 extra money.

post-150167-020118700 1282204251.jpg

noyzky7, those are US prices, so there can't be an apples-to-apples comparison without the Philippine price tag yet. The HP Touchsmart is indeed around P75,000 in the Phils. With the Touchsmart using intel i5 as default processor, panalo ang HP sa processing power. Core2Duo is starting to become old hat as 2010 ends.

mag hahang yan sa CS5 in time.. also kung graphic artist ka.. always use a external hard drive.. kahit sabihin nating nakapartition yan... sa external ka maglagay.. para d babagal pc mo.

I use Core 2 Quad q8400@ 2.66GHz tapos 8Gig Ram and 64bit operating system para gamit na gamit ang resources... I have a total of 1Tb internal hardrives and 1tb external hd.

Btw, I am a graphic artist also but I am more on a video guy.

Best of luck!

@patmunar: If you're a serious graphic artist and you make a living out of it, I recommend you invest on a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) or i7, at least 8GB RAM, a 1gb Nvidia Quadro graphic card, a 64-bit operating system, dual-monitor (if you have budget, make it 3)... yung capacity ng hard drive depende na lang sa projects mo... and in my professional opinion, its always better to mount your extra storage drives, it's way faster than having it on an external hard drives... but it's best to consider buying an apple computer, kase they were built for use in graphic work and video editing ;)

Hi noyzky7

As early as last month I have already set up systems with Intel Core i7-860 2.8 ghz.

i7 is already available in Manila, but due to the high cost of the processor (over 10T) it is normally available on a 'per order' basis.

Most computer shops would require a deposit, and a waiting time of 4 to 5 days.

In my case, I ask my clients gave me 1 week to set up to their i7 system because they want the system already 'burned in'.

• 4 weeks later...