Toughest, Most Physically Demanding Sport?

Hey Larry - do you play rugby?

If not and you would like to try it there are 6 teams in the Philippines now and a yearly International competition. I was surprised to see how many people mentioned it here and to think I was on my way to the rugby thread.

Anyways - I believe that aside from Rugby (although I am biased being a player) these have to rate:

Any 1 v 1 fighting - be it boxing or MMA

Triathlons and Ironmans mentioned above

Decathlons (10 events over 2 days that involve speed, stamina, skill and strength)

I also put NFL in there even though as you say the periods of actual play aren't that long. It's like an Impact/Collision Chess game (plays called by the coach) that involves specific jobs for everyone whereas rugby is a free flowing contact sport.

See rugby thread for details of the next tournament in the Philippines.....

If not and you would like to try it there are 6 teams in the Philippines now and a yearly International competition. I was surprised to see how many people mentioned it here and to think I was on my way to the rugby thread.

Anyways - I believe that aside from Rugby (although I am biased being a player) these have to rate:

Decathlons (10 events over 2 days that involve speed, stamina, skill and strength)

I also put NFL in there even though as you say the periods of actual play aren't that long. It's like an Impact/Collision Chess game (plays called by the coach) that involves specific jobs for everyone whereas rugby is a free flowing contact sport.

The Iditarod

A dog sled race in the Alaskan tundra covering 1,150 miles of the harshest terrain with temperatures going way below zero.

Of course, it can always be argued that the dozen or so dogs do most of the work but when you factor in the conditions and the fact that mushers actually go at it alone for 2 weeks on end right smack dab in the middle of nowhere with Mother Freakin' Nature throwing her most unpredictable curveballs at them at the most unfortunate times---and that's really gotta be something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...