The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Oldboy (2013 remake)

The original oldboy hands down was one one the last decades best mystery film. It was a little cartoonish for some, but what do you expect when your source material is a manga. And besides all that added to the dark surrealistic tone of the film and dark sense of humor. I also loved the final act and the twist, I bet those of you who saw it for the first time didnt see that one coming.

Now someone has to send Hollywood a message, if something is not broken, dont attempt to fix it. Sure there are a few asian movies that were improved in a hollywood reimagining, such as infernal affairs being remade into the departed. But that is only because of the fresh perspective it was given in the hands of someone who knew how to retell a different story using the same plot and characters. In this remake, director Spike Lee offers no justification why it should have been made in the first place.

I never thought that I would say this, but this was definitely a waste of Josh Brolin's talent. He was pretty good, and really is convincing as he transitions from a drunk douche bag, to a blood thirsty animal out for revenge. At the beggining of the movie, we see he is just so out of shape, then at the middle he is just this one bad motherf#&ker who can take on a platoon of street thugs out to beat his ass. But even a talented actor can't do much when there is already so many things in this movie that we have seen all before and done so much better. Even in that department Spike Lee fails. If you are gonna do the exact same scene, at least try to shoot it better than the original

One of the other things I really did not like about this movie was the Villain. He was just too over the top for me. Sharlto Copley looks more like a villain in a Hanna Barbera cartoon. In the original, the villain was someone who wasnt overly eccentric but someone who had issues. Someone who can be seen to be experiencing pain which is why he is just so hell-bent on making the protagonist share his own pain.

The main problem of this remake is that it capitalizes on the cult popularity of the original. But if you are a fan of the original then there would be no point for you to sit through this one. Because you will precisely be asked to solve a puzzle you already have and where is the fun in that? If you are not familiar with the original and see this one first, then you may get to like it but you surely would be looking for the original and would wish you saw the later first.

• 3 weeks later...

300: Rise of the Empire

Walang wenta... maipilit lang ang story in parallel sa pakikipaglaban ng 300 spartans vs Xerxes & his Persian Army then yung pakiki digma din ng Greek Navy led by Themistocles vs Artemisia.. konti lang din yung exposure ng Spartan Army tapos si Queen Gorgo masyado astig.. nakikipag laban ng walang armor or shield daig nya pa yung Spartan soldiers and the late King Leonidas. Masyadong bitin saka di maganda ang pagkaka gawa ng plot.

Infairness.. crush ko talaga si Eva Green :wub: :rolleyes: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Mulholland Drive (2001)

I had to experience this one myself. Depending on how you prepare yourself before watching this, you will either love the experience or be nauseated it. But most definitely you would be lost in all the confusion. Is that a bad thing? To not understand the entire movie after watching it? No! Not always. When you have a skillful visual artist directing this film. This is what you need to understand about David Lynch (the director), he tells you a mystery story, unlike any other story tellers. He does not at all offer you any help to solve the mystery and connect the dots. Other mystery films, even the best ones usually had story tellers who spoon-feed the audience. At the climax, there is usually a narrative, characters explaining the motivation, flashbacks to explain the twists etc. Thats not how it is in this one. The director throws many pieces at you and its up to you how you wanna piece them together. If 2 people watched this one separately they will most likely have different understanding of the story, the plot, the characters and the symbolism. That is saying, you dont care really about the destination, you only care about the ride. And if a certain artwork raises your curiousity then makes you ask questions, then the artwork has definitely done its job. You dont need to fully understand it to enjoy.

So Im not even gonna start talking about the plot. If you are going to see this one, then I would not wanna ruin the experience for you. Its not just about ruining it through spoilers. You can better enjoy this one if you wont let other perspective ruin your own as you decipher this brilliant film

300: Rise of the Empire

Walang wenta... maipilit lang ang story in parallel sa pakikipaglaban ng 300 spartans vs Xerxes & his Persian Army then yung pakiki digma din ng Greek Navy led by Themistocles vs Artemisia.. konti lang din yung exposure ng Spartan Army tapos si Queen Gorgo masyado astig.. nakikipag laban ng walang armor or shield daig nya pa yung Spartan soldiers and the late King Leonidas. Masyadong bitin saka di maganda ang pagkaka gawa ng plot.

Infairness.. crush ko talaga si Eva Green :wub: :rolleyes: :lol:

Felt the same way! Hindi appealing yung Athenians compared to the spartans. Kahit yung main hero walang charisma. It lacks the overall machismo and testosterone of the first one

Felt the same way! Hindi appealing yung Athenians compared to the spartans. Kahit yung main hero walang charisma. It lacks the overall machismo and testosterone of the first one

sa first movie-300..natatandaan ko ..ang tawag nga ni leonidas sa mga atenians eh "boy lovers".. POV..masyado lang ako nag expect ,compare sa una kaya medyo nakulangan ako sa movie na toh..mostly athenian battle at the sea..and how xeres become godking...so ika nga ni Mr.Edmund Dantes.."lacks the overall machismo and testosterone" for me medyo malamya ang mga athenian..although somehow andun padin ung brutality/gore...and pambawi nalang ung rated scene nila eva green at ung athenian king.

sa first movie-300..natatandaan ko ..ang tawag nga ni leonidas sa mga atenians eh "boy lovers".. POV..masyado lang ako nag expect ,compare sa una kaya medyo nakulangan ako sa movie na toh..mostly athenian battle at the sea..and how xeres become godking...so ika nga ni Mr.Edmund Dantes.."lacks the overall machismo and testosterone" for me medyo malamya ang mga athenian..although somehow andun padin ung brutality/gore...and pambawi nalang ung rated scene nila eva green at ung athenian king.

Nakulangan din ako sa movie. pero sa tingin ko yun ang talagang point. kasi ang mga Spartans daw talaga ay bred for battle. tapos tandaan natin na yung 300 ay based dun sa kwento nung isang nag survived, kaya may halong exaggeration (parang tayo pag nagkukuwento sa mga tropa, may halong barbers, hahaha)

yung Sequel naman ay as it happens ang setting. tipong anong nangyari sa southern end ng battle. so hindi overwhelming kasi tayo ang mismong nakakakita ng pangyayari. so mas realistic.

• 4 weeks later...

The Amazing Spider-man 2

In my opinion there are 3 superhero movies that redefined the genre. Superman (1978), Spider-man (2002) and The Dark Knight (2008). All these movies set the standards on how good superhero movies should be. They should have memorable characters, cool action sequence, awesome special effects, and more than that a story arc that will make the movie still worth watching even though the Hero is not wearing his costume. Moreover, these movies succeeded not only in making us believe that their capabilities can be done in the real world, but in also make us feel what it is like when they are swinging or flying up in the air. Sam Raimi's take on spider-man reignited the interest in this genre to a whole new level, at the time when so much visual tricks could be done with CGI. It did feature memorable action sequences, villains that were as interesting as the hero, and most of all a lot heart in the story department. Although the third installment was a let down, the first 2 installments definitely deserves their place among the greatest superhero movies of all time. Hence, in comes the problem that this rebooted franchise with a different director and set of actors have to overcome. Many wont be able to help but compare it to the original trilogy. More importantly, they will have very high expectations. They will want to see something that justifies the reboot especially that it was done too soon, at the time when the legacy and charm of the original was still fresh in the minds of most fans. But undeniably, Spidey is marvel's most famous character, so we can't blame studios if they will somehow attempt to find new ways to keep the franchise going.

I admit that I walked into this with such high expectations. I wanted it so much to be better than the Sam Raimi trilogy. The first installment to the reboot although very entertaining had too much been-there-done-that scenes. I didn't even feel that I was being told a new story here. Its the same exact themes of "with great powers come great responsibility". And in this one? I feel that it still hasn't fixed that problem. In this latest installment, we are shown a more detailed background story about Peter's parents. We are given a clearer picture why Peter had to be left to the care of his Uncle, how they died, and what they died for. Then fast forward to the present where we see spidey do what he does best. Web-swing across Manhattan as he tries to stop a crime in progress. He has to do this while trying to make it to his own graduation ceremony. We also see that Peter now has second thoughts about continuing his relationship with Gwen after the events of the previous movie. We are introduced to the Osborns and get a glimpse into the friendship of Peter and Harry. Then there is our main villain in the movie, who i thought had an origin story arc that was all too familiar. A nerdy weakling, fanatically idolizing the main hero, then a tragic accident will happen and events would lead for him to hold a grudge against his idol. Then the clash between them will be set.

I actually liked the casting in this one. Andrew Garfiled is a better spider-man and Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire (no disrespect to him). He is a more likeable nerd. A cool guy, but not exactly the stereotypical douche you see in highschool. I also liked the sense of humor he brings to the costumed character, because in the comics, Spidey is really a wise-cracking jerk. That said, it didn't even matter to me that he looked a lot less muscular that the previous film appearance of the hero. He is fun to watch when he is goofing around or when he starts to get serious. As great as an actor Jamie Foxx is, I don't think this will be recorded as one of his memorable character portrayals. Not because he didn't fit well into the role, but the background story of the villain is all too familiar. If you have seen the incredibles, or Jim Carrey in Batman forever, then you will see what I mean. One of the main complaints I had about this, was that the trailer promised us 3 villains and turns out it did not need to. Electro for sure is the main antagonist in this movie. I thought that the re-imagining of the Green Goblin character was a lot cooler on this one. The actual actor who portrayed him didn't need much make up on to look like a goblin. Unfortunately we only get to see him square off with spidey for 10 minutes or less, which makes feel like a little pointless. We could have just saved him for the sequel. As for the Rhino? Well he was completely unnecessary. He neither added more weight nor charm to the movie. It was a waste of screen-time for Paul Giamatti.

The main problem though I had with the film was that the structure of the story felt like it was all over the place. There is no emphasis in any of the specific themes. Moreover, it just lacked the heart of the original. Even the friendship and conflict between Peter and Norman here was not well developed. This is supposed to be an essential recurring theme in the spider-man universe. Something that was well done in the Sam Raimi version. I actually missed James Franco in this one. We got to see these two begin as surrogate brothers, but later events would turn them into bitter enemies which is why it breaks your heart to see their friendship dissolve just like that. This element is something that was just so underdeveloped in the script of this movie. What was the Hero's main struggle in this movie? Was it the difficulty of the responsibilities of his own powers? How his double-identity affecting his relationships? Was it the quest to dig deeper into his own identity? Or how he finds parallels of himself to the antagonist? Its all of the above, but none are given the appropriate focus in the treatment. The movie was way too long IMO, and the parts where the hero is doing anything but web-slinging felt kinda dragging. And I was like "Oh please make something happen already".

Don't get me wrong though, this is definitely a very entertaining movie to watch. After all, the main expectation really going into this kind of movies is to enjoy some kickass superhero action sequences. This is one element that this movie does right. I don't think though you need to watch it on 3D, because the web-slinging scenes in 2D alone were enough to make you feel that you are on spidey's back while he is leaping from one building to the other. The action sequences were very tensed too. There were a lot of moments in those scenes when I was literally grabbing the edge of my arm rest.

All in all, The Amazing Spider-man 2 is a fun movie. I may have not said a lot of the negative points I made in this review if I could for a second forget that the Sam Raimi movies existed. Given some problems (Ok nitpick) in the story department, I still enjoyed it a lot, and I will be looking forward to part 3.

• 2 weeks later...

The new godzilla movie is way better than its predecessor. Just gets draggy at some parts of of the movie. It wouldn't hurt if they tried to make a better story. There were some parts na lumalangoy lang si godzilla and nothing else is happening. It gets boring if specially if its a 2 plus hr movie

Xmen Days of future past.

The best superhero movie after the dark knight. Better than avengers and man of steel. Singer did a good job of connecting the 2 timelines and gives a fresh start to the xmen. Its a reboot where we can expect new stories and likely new casts in the future. Its much needed to update the xmen film franchise. Spiderman, superman and batman all get reboots. Soon, fantastic four will get a reboot as well.

This is a good way to reboot a franchise and at the same time still acknowledge the previous films as having taken place, just altered to get the franchise into a new direction and have a new sets of stories to tell. Looking forward to xmen apocalype in 2016. En sabah nur!

• 2 weeks later...