The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Appaloosa

genre: western/drama

starring: ed harris (director)/viggo mortensen/jeremy irons/renee zelwegger

2 middle-aged gun-slingers are hired as town marshalls and hunt down a wealthy gang leader

and bring him to justice after gunning down a sheriff and 2 of his deputies..a lady drifts into town

and charms the men around her. and that's where the story brings you to the punchline--"feelings get you killed".

if ur fans of these 2 great character actors --who also appeared together in A History of Violence-- this film is a must-see

my rating--3 stars. :cool:

post-59302-1226222936.jpg

Edited by LYCHEE

007:

I heard from a news flash that Roger Moore was disappointed on what the Bond Movies has become now (being more physical/brutal rather than the classic Spy type where he's got gadgets, cars, ladies). Comparing to the Bond movies that he starred before (like the Spy Who Loved me, Octopussy, etc.) I think he's correct.

007:

I heard from a news flash that Roger Moore was disappointed on what the Bond Movies has become now (being more physical/brutal rather than the classic Spy type where he's got gadgets, cars, ladies). Comparing to the Bond movies that he starred before (like the Spy Who Loved me, Octopussy, etc.) I think he's correct.

Then again, Moore's (and Connery's, for that matter) Bond movies were products of another time entirely... when Russia was then known as the USSR and was still America's mortal enemy, and you can have your way with the lay-deez without worrying about suspect genital sores that could blacken your rep - especially with the British Secret Service.

Sa totoo lang, after QoS, I'd certainly wish that M finally grant Bond access to some hi-tech gadgets (bring in Q!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Twilight...naiibang teen vampire movie with a blend of romanticism less on the dark or morbid side but just enough blood letting and kick-ass action to keep you stuck on your seat and look forward to part 2...rating: 3 stars :thumbsupsmiley:

Australia...(hugh jackman & nicole kidman) prang gone-with-the-wind and out of africa rolled into one epic movie, pang oscar bet.., my rating 4 stars :thumbsupsmiley:

Rocknrolla...the new movie from the former Mr. Madonna aka Guy Ritchie.

HE'S BAAAAACK!!!!

If you miss the ka-astigan you experienced from his previous film offerings such as Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, a lot of it is evident in this return to form...even if the accents are not as forbiddingly deep as in these two above mentioned offerings. The narration also gets to push things forward.

Great perfs as usual from Gerard (300) Butler, Tom Wilkinson and especially Thandie Newton (icy-cool accountants FTW!!)

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (keanu reeves & jennifer connely) is an alright sci-fi re-make in the same genre as WAR OF THE WORLDS (tom cruise)...

in the classic b/w film of 1951, the alien visitor klaatu ws a more caring character vs. the klaatu in the re-make who was more icy, fearsome and possessed more powers.... altho both commonly understood what human nature ws all about that determined the ultimate faith of mother earth...liked the special fx esp. scene where the robot freed itself n took off in a wave of locusts-like plague that devastated evrything in its path..my take-- 3.5 stars :thumbsupsmiley:

Sorry for this but I feel obliged to post this.

I'm a fan of Shake Rattle and Roll and my 2 sons are too. Watched every one of the 10 SRR movies made but for the life of me SRR X may be one the the worst in terms of meeting the expectations of watching a good quality scary movie. I cant really pinpoint why I did not like it but I didn't.

Of course the actresses are pretty and that may be one of the positive things about it but except for the 1st story, the other 2 stories a really not too well written nor made.

sayang si Marian Rivera, he last story could have been a good scary movie theme but sadlyu parang trying to be cute masyado yung scenes.

mababaw yung kwento, zero for scariness.

am watching school bukol later. i hope i dont get disappointed.

not sure kung palabas na dyan, napanood ko kagabi online yung slumdog millionaire. nice movie about a kid from the slums of mumbai who went on a game show not primarily for the money. medyo nalito ako sa umpisa ng movie.

all in all a well directed movie. showed the life in the slums in india which unexpectedly not a whole lot different from what it's like in the phils. pati yung sindikatong gumagamit sa mga bata naipakita na rin sa mga lumang pelikulang pilipino.

isku bukol..da movie. wlang kakupas-kupas ang tandem ng tvj...altho the plot was predictable, can't help but LOL on many of the gags n jokes of the escalera bros., maiksi lng exposure ni richie d horsie bt his segment during the reunion celebs of wanbol u ws enough to bring the house down.

my rating...3.5 stars :thumbsupsmiley:

For a Pinoy flick, it was pretty good (emphasis on "for a Pinoy flick"). "Big budget" na raw, pero halatang ayaw masira yung simbahan (Hollywood would've made a replica that they can destroy). But heck, Baler's "big budget" would've been catering money for a mid-level Hollywood production. Ok lang storyline. Di masyadong distracting yung love-angle tienes. Acting was good. Walang nag-OA -- mostly the sin of Pinoy actors who want to exert a "pang-award" effort. It was watchable. But really no great shakes compared to the press it's been getting.

Saw this movie..

story line was good but kulang sa.... how should i say it...emphasis siguro...

kulang sa diin ng mga magagandang scenes...

cinematography was good..overall, i might say it was better..well to compare to the other entries...