The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Pirates of The Carribean 3

Well obviously the makers of this movie wanted to end it with a Bang! a loud Bang that is. But sometimes its not how loud something is that makes it entertaining. Sometimes less is actually more. This time the makers put just a little bit too much of every good thing in an eye candy flick. Too much effects, too much dialouges, too much characters, too much twsts and turns, and too much Captain Jack sparrows that could sometimes make a few moments difficult to sit trough or enjoy. I think the movie had the same problem with Spider-man 3 with having too much characters and subplots. The end result? A pretty messy eye candy.......... But it is nonetheless a very entertaining mess. At least this movie had that "it" factor to make summer movies enjoyable, which spider-man 3 came up short.

So here we go (Spoiler warnings)

Picking up from where the second movie left, Lord Beckett is after all pirates and has declared martial law, to make matters worse squid-faced captain Davy Jones and his flying dutchman is now under the control of the east india trading company, making every pirate ship on shore an open season for hunting. Meanwhile Capt. Barbosa, Elizabeth Swann, and Will turner must now deice a plan to rescue Capt. Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' locker with the aid of notorious Pirate Capt. Sao Feng (brilliantly played by chow yun fat). Sao Feng reluctantly agrees to lend a ship and a crew for Barbossa et al. to fetch back wicked jack in an existensial dillema dessert for the dead (Undead?). Apparently Jack has one of the items that the 9 pirate lords need to fight against lord beckett and the flying dutchman. This is the part where the story gets to be a little complicated. Every character has his own intention, own secrets, and own means to an end. Will Turner, and Elizabeths schwanns love for each other is put to the test as they reveal secrets. Everybodys loyalty honor and friendship will be put to the test once jack is rescued from the land of the undead.

Wait there is more... Apparently some people are playing both sides, and this is the part where the story gets just a little bit more and more complicated. Too much motives for betrayal and double crosses, that at one point its really hard to tell which character is on which side since all of them have their own intents to something. Moreso, its difficult to tell sometimes which ship we are in.

Then its off to the Pirate cove, where the meeting of the pirate lords will take place. Here they will decide how to defend the fate of the bretheren, and Elizabeth Swann will become Pirate king (as she was made captain by sao feng shortly before his death). There is a brief Cameo of Rollingstone member Kieth Richards as Jack's father, and man oh man does he fit the part. So its off to the last stand of the bretheren against Becketts armada led by the flying dutch man. And at this point all is smooth sailing.

Its action, swashbuckling action, and more swashbuckling action....... oh did I mention swashbuckling action? The square off between the balckpearl and the flying dutchman in the middle of a whirlpool is something we will be talking about for months. This is what summer movies are all about.

All in all it is an enjoyable treat, and whatever weakness or incoherence in the script are compensated with outstanding action sequences, swashbuckling heroes and great performances. Specially by Johnny Depp. Definetly Jack Sparrow is the character that he will be remembered for. Do we want to see a fourth installment or a spinoff? Well I don't think it will ever be the same without Johnny Depp in it! Yes Johnny Depp! Oh that Johnny Depp

Oh did I mention Kieth Richards?

A-

Pirates of the Carribean 3? not much maganda hehehe mas maganda yung Pirates 2..

meron bang pinamigay jan sa pinas ng ballpen and sticker book frm Pirates of the Carribean?

dito sa Belguim meron, kaya lang 1day lang namigay for free.

Showing na dito this week yung Sherk 3, kaya lang hinde sya English.. Nederlands. nakakalungkot.. hinde ko maintindihan.

Next month July, showing na din dito yung Harry Potter, nakakalungkot kasi hinde din sya English.

So hinde ko rin sya maintidihan..

Showing this month yung Oceans 13.... jan din ba sa pinas?

Hostel 2.....i was kinda disappointed in a way.....i mean being a guy and you'd see a mutilated schlong how would you feel? :sick: .....but i sure liked the villianess in the movie.....rrrrr :evil: and yeah Heather was the first one to go.

Edited by Waterbearer

Seiko's "Silip" has been touted as the return of the bold film genre. Don't believe the hype. If you're expecting Diana and Francine to outdo their sexy scenes in "Liberated," you'll be extremely disappointed. There are mini-second shots of their physical assets but there's not much to see. Paolo Ravales does bare his butt but it didn't turn me on.

The producer wanted a mild R-13 rating for "Silip,"so it can show in SM cinemas. Wrong move, I think because male viewers will end up disappointed after the movie. My friend who came to see it with me commented, "ni hindi ako tinigasan." If Robbie Tan had gone for an R-18 rating and got Diana and Francine to do what they do best, he would have sold more tickets even if the movie did not screen at SM theaters.

I must congratulate Diana Zubiri though for doing a fine acting job. Director Joel Lamangan was able to get her to give a convincing portrayal of a disturbed probinsyana housewife. In previous movies, Diana didn't have to do much acting because her body did all the acting for her. In "Silip" she shows great potential as a dramatic actress. Of course, she shouldn't abandon sexy roles altogether. She's still one of the sexiest actresses around.

Edited by jologsparin
From watching a string of dissapointing films like spidey and shrek3... Pirates is the best i've seen this year!

Damn Kierra is sooooooo goddamn hot!

i have to agree. among the 3 big trilogies shown this past month, i'd have to say this was the best one hands down. i actually think it's much better than dead man's chest which for me was just something made so there would be a part 3.

i especially liked the part after they had sex and she put her legs out in front of orlando bloom.... daaaamn!

Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer

First off, Jessica Alba can't act to save her life.

The movie itself, was short but surprisingly quite entertaining. Maybe because the first film sucked so much that this one, despite phony lines and incessant humourous situations, managed to top that one. Plus, any film with the Silver Surfer, even if it was not as loyal to the source as I hoped it would be, would please me. At least there were some good but not great action scenes.

Another thing: Julian McMahon is a good actor, just not as Dr. Doom.

Still, go ahead and watch this film. It would be worth checking out despite its flaws. I even found it way better than Spider-Man 3...

If I had to rate it from 1 to 10, I'll give it a 5.5

Edited by clubber_lang

Review from a Comic Book fan:

Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer

Ganda ng movie.

Liked the ff parts:

Stan Lee - made a cameo as a Wedding Crasher he even introduced himself

Human Torch - when he absorbed the powers of Thing, Mr Fantastic and Invisible Woman, it was the power combination of "Super Skrull"

Hindi nagpakita si Galactus, inabsorb ni Surfer yung Cosmic Power and exploded somewhat like a SuperNova, only "inner explosion".

Buhay pa si Silver Surfer, at malamang buhay pa para sa Part 3 si Dr Doom. Hopefully Magpakita na si Galactus is a more human form.

FF4 rocks! better than spidey, better than Jack Sparrow..

short movie, plenty of action but not big, good plot, smooth story, hot Jessica, not so good acting-but natural

and humorous comic characters...

of all 3 movies - FF4 has the better effects, esp silver surfer... look at the way they zoom on the surfboard

itself - great!!!

this one is a 7/10...

FF2

huge letdown for me.

ending was a letdown

Dr. Doom an even bigger letdown (Doom working with the USA? come on!) he has his own high tech army for crying out loud!

Cheesy lines made me cringe more than a few times (LET'S GO FOR A SPIN! TAG! YOU'RE IT! OMFG!)

effects were great, the surfer looked awesome, and props to Doug Jones for giving life to the character, that guy can really act with his body (and I meant that in the most hetero way possible).

Galactus is a huge dust cloud in space!?

and SS just inhales him all in!?

come on!

2 more summer movies left for me, I hope die hard and transformers make it worth the wait.

Edited by Larry

just watched the FF4 movie last night with my kids.... it was predictable in a good way.... not an academy award nominee definitely but maybe for the SFX part of it.... it was a good follow up movie to the first one..... it is really meant for the younger audiences.... overall the film was very entertaining..... the way movies are meant to be.... my score is 8/10.

i've seen Pirates.. i'll give it a 6/10.. watched Fantastic 4 yesterday.. i'll give it an 8/10.. galactus really is a cloud of space dust in the movie.. Dr. Doom regenerates himself back into his own form? now how did that happened? and bakit parang konti lang ang mga lines ni Laurence Fishburne (Silver Surfer)? ala-Morpheus ung dating ng boses..

So ok here's what i think of Evan Almighty.......Don't go see the movie expecting so much....you might get disappointed....that being said, the movie is still enjoyable to watch.....it's just that i don't see the logic why people still mock him even though 100+ animal are watching him build the ark and for pete's sake, lions are even guarding the work site.....even when he shaves his beard and it still freaking grows.....i mean its just too obvious.....

The problem with the movie is that it lacks comedy....it's supposed to be a comedy.....if there ever was comedy, its just a glitter....or glitters.....then again, its a Steve Carell movie so eventually, you will enjoy seeing this one....despite its flaws.

Just done watching DIE-HARD, LIVE-HARD...another must-see move for action fans of Bruce Willis.

Bakbakan from beginning to end...the stunts are really fascinating. As usual, the last 10-15 mins. of the ending was quite a cliff-hanger until you hear Maclaine utter the magic words: "Yippiyayokayeh!" :thumbsupsmiley:

Just watched Transformers...

it effing rocks man! hell yeah! i won't go into details but what waterbearer says back there sums it all up. go see it guys, you'll get your money's worth.

:thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: