Apple iPhone

I have the first iPhone, (i skipped a lot of models dahil ayaw ko sa itsura at features) a 4s, and a 5s... unfortunately after steve jobs died, i don't like the way the screen size is getting bigger and how the IOS updates are being handled. i hate samsung with their big screens and sadly iPhone is going the same way.....

seriously considering other brands already but not android... hmmmm nokia? god i hate windows mobile before......

i still have my 4S in spite of the fact that i already have a 5S. in terms of feel, the 4S feels just right. not too big in the hand and i can easily reach the corners of the screen. The 5S is too long. It's too bad that the 4S is already showing its age when it comes to speed. i already looked at the 6 at the Globe Business Center. it's a lot bigger than the phone's that i have used thus far. will i eventually go for a bigger phone? i don't know. it will all depend on whether it is right for my purposes at the time i am ready to make a decision.

i still have my 4S in spite of the fact that i already have a 5S. in terms of feel, the 4S feels just right. not too big in the hand and i can easily reach the corners of the screen. The 5S is too long. It's too bad that the 4S is already showing its age when it comes to speed. i already looked at the 6 at the Globe Business Center. it's a lot bigger than the phone's that i have used thus far. will i eventually go for a bigger phone? i don't know. it will all depend on whether it is right for my purposes at the time i am ready to make a decision.

trend is most likely going with a bigger phone which apple probably slightly accepted when they launched iphone 6. either way, if you're more comfortable with a smaller phone, better use a smaller one (not sure if apple will release a smaller one though after iphone 6).

• 4 weeks later...

I think android and iphones each have their distinct advantages. As a PC/Mac user, I think the difference lies in the software. To be honest, if there was one, consolidated platform for mobile that would be awesome and it would do away with software and phonemakers can just focus on the better hardware contest.

Apple favors software/hardware harmony as its primary selling point. Change isn't a strong selling point, as is obvious with their (dated) UI. Hardware-wise, apple constantly delivers, and I don't think anyone can contest that. They start you on its idiot-proof-clean-blank-space-retina-crisp-displays-and-interface until you're hooked. This is why kids as young as two years of age can easily navigate their way on their parent's ipads/iphones. Everything else is held in a vice grip: (very limited) user customization, little to none tweaking allowable, and essentially every iphone in its own generation of devices is "identical" down the line. Because of this, every app is strictly monitored and screening takes a developer a substantial amount of time before his app is approved and eventually uploaded to the store. This system curates and makes sure that an app's standards are at par with the rest.

Android however veers away from this. As android is (mostly) Open-sourced so every app (almost literally) is dime-a-dozen. Hardware is produced by different 3rd party suppliers and each are presented differently. No identical android clones. And since it's unique, not all android phones are equal in terms of performance and aesthetic. Versions of android are also tailored to the device, depending largely on the phonemaker. This is why the evolution of the android phone has grown exponentially from the first iteration of Android (my first android phone was the G1 -- essentially the first google vanilla phone, and it ran "Donut 1.6") to the most recent one ("Lollipop 5.0") in only six years. This is also the reason why on the release of iPhone6 a lot of griping android users were naysaying "Wow! NFC? Android did that YEARS ago [sarcasm]" and a whole world of hate because it really did have the feature before apple even considered it. Then again, technology is also proprietary which means they're only as good as the last good phone released.

Put simply, here's my favorite visualization - in terms of phonemaker: Apple - slowly but surely, they release changes in increments -- often no real change, just minor improvements to an already working model; Samsung - "let's put ALL the features in! and make everything in ALL sizes!" which means drastic (borderline novelty) features, more often than not hit or miss and then they distill from there; HTC/Google takes all of the good features of samsung and apple phones and they go make an android hybrid.

The funny thing is, as the OS/phone battles go on, apple is slowly becoming "android" (widgets, notification bar, etc.) and android is becoming "apple" (flat icons, card ui, etc). I won't be surprised if the two suddenly merge, but I don't think it's even possible, hahaha. I do think it's inevitable that one mobile platform will eventually be produced -- or at least a standard ui for any platform.

I think android and iphones each have their distinct advantages. As a PC/Mac user, I think the difference lies in the software. To be honest, if there was one, consolidated platform for mobile that would be awesome and it would do away with software and phonemakers can just focus on the better hardware contest.

Apple favors software/hardware harmony as its primary selling point. Change isn't a strong selling point, as is obvious with their (dated) UI. Hardware-wise, apple constantly delivers, and I don't think anyone can contest that. They start you on its idiot-proof-clean-blank-space-retina-crisp-displays-and-interface until you're hooked. This is why kids as young as two years of age can easily navigate their way on their parent's ipads/iphones. Everything else is held in a vice grip: (very limited) user customization, little to none tweaking allowable, and essentially every iphone in its own generation of devices is "identical" down the line. Because of this, every app is strictly monitored and screening takes a developer a substantial amount of time before his app is approved and eventually uploaded to the store. This system curates and makes sure that an app's standards are at par with the rest.

Android however veers away from this. As android is (mostly) Open-sourced so every app (almost literally) is dime-a-dozen. Hardware is produced by different 3rd party suppliers and each are presented differently. No identical android clones. And since it's unique, not all android phones are equal in terms of performance and aesthetic. Versions of android are also tailored to the device, depending largely on the phonemaker. This is why the evolution of the android phone has grown exponentially from the first iteration of Android (my first android phone was the G1 -- essentially the first google vanilla phone, and it ran "Donut 1.6") to the most recent one ("Lollipop 5.0") in only six years. This is also the reason why on the release of iPhone6 a lot of griping android users were naysaying "Wow! NFC? Android did that YEARS ago [sarcasm]" and a whole world of hate because it really did have the feature before apple even considered it. Then again, technology is also proprietary which means they're only as good as the last good phone released.

Put simply, here's my favorite visualization - in terms of phonemaker: Apple - slowly but surely, they release changes in increments -- often no real change, just minor improvements to an already working model; Samsung - "let's put ALL the features in! and make everything in ALL sizes!" which means drastic (borderline novelty) features, more often than not hit or miss and then they distill from there; HTC/Google takes all of the good features of samsung and apple phones and they go make an android hybrid.

The funny thing is, as the OS/phone battles go on, apple is slowly becoming "android" (widgets, notification bar, etc.) and android is becoming "apple" (flat icons, card ui, etc). I won't be surprised if the two suddenly merge, but I don't think it's even possible, hahaha. I do think it's inevitable that one mobile platform will eventually be produced -- or at least a standard ui for any platform.

Nicely put. A lot more than I can say compared to the post before yours lol.

I'd just like to add regarding NFC -- Apple took its time to find a compelling use for NFC. It's not that they can't put the technology in their phones, but it's only now that they found payments to be a great use scenario for NFC. Apple found that sharing stuff via NFC (and even much older, plain Bluetooth) is a bad user experience, hence they didn't see the need to implement it.

Android manufacturers and Google put the technology in, and allow whoever wants to try it out (including developers making apps) to use the technology.

Apple also focuses more on experience rather than specs and hardware features, e.g. 1GB RAM being smoother overall compared to some Android devices with 3GB RAM.

They have much different target markets anyway. Apple wants features usable enough that you can teach your grandparents (well, not every one of them) to use it. Android is for the savvier side of the market. Hence the difference in approach and strategy.

Before the "big screen" iPhones came out, I said to myself that I won't even consider having one. After using the iPhone 6 plus for about a week, I think I'm starting to love it... But it is not enough to make me go out and get one.

I liked the screen size and because I had something new to tinker with. I liked it more because it was jailbroken. Every iPhone should be jailbroken to enable the nice tweaks.

Oh by the way, I really don't see why it costs so damn much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just learned something new today. If you have an iPhone 6 or 6+ you can tell whether it was made in the USA or in Japan by snapping a photo with the phone's camera. If there's a click when you snap the photo and you can't silence this click, then the phone's made in Japan. iPhones that are made in the USA do not click when you snap a photo.

I was made to understand that the audible click on iPhones made in Japan is in compliance with Japanese laws.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...