Apple iPhone

I think I disagree. The iPhone doesn't have a GPS receiver (yet). It's basically just a 3G phone with a fancy touchscreen interface. I've actually used a couple of Macs and an iPod for a couple of years before and found the iPod to be counter-intuitive and the Mac to be artificially hyped-up. The N95's form just plain sucks, but function-wise it's very good. But I doubt both the N95 and the iPhone can beat the E90 in terms of connectivity and functionality.

A lot of phones already have a touchscreen interface, though I can safely say it's not as creative in using it as the iPhone. But then, that is where I say it's counter-intuitive. While other phones with touchscreen doesn't innovate much in terms of interface, it does make it easier for first time users to make it perform the phone's functions without having to learn some special gestures.

Spoken like someone who hasn't used a Mac lately. But that's okay. If you know how to work with iLife especially the new iLife 08 you will appreciate more how the iPhone integrates with your Mac functionality. As a standalone device even the Prada phone might have more cachè, but when used with iLife, dot mac, and a MacBook Pro the integration is truly synergistic.

Err...i agree with its seamless integration with the Mac...but

Here in Pinas...what is the ratio of Windows powered PC users vs MAC users? like "9 PC users for every Apple Mac user"? From artvaders' contention..(if i am right), i do understand why he is contesting the iPhone's capabilities

Most smartphone users either use Palm/Symbian or Windows OS...thus most users like us are more familiar with the capabilities of a Treo, HPiPAq, Nokia N-Series etc...which interfaces with....the Windows powered PC (clone or branded) , which is everywhere...home..office...net cafe...i have used a Mac, i own an iPod...but it doesnt have much cake on the current hardware interfaces available here unlike in the US...

Subliminal selling by Mr. Jobs? :lol:

Can i beam files to another phone or device using its BT? thru IR? eww...

3G is a staple in Asia..how can the current iPhone provide that? zilch...

In the US its another story

Spoken like someone who hasn't used a Mac lately. But that's okay. If you know how to work with iLife especially the new iLife 08 you will appreciate more how the iPhone integrates with your Mac functionality. As a standalone device even the Prada phone might have more cachè, but when used with iLife, dot mac, and a MacBook Pro the integration is truly synergistic.
Edited by orionpax
Err...i agree with its seamless integration with the Mac...but

Here in Pinas...what is the ratio of Windows powered PC users vs MAC users? like "9 PC users for every Apple Mac user"? From artvaders' contention..(if i am right), i do understand why he is contesting the iPhone's capabilities

Most smartphone users either use Palm/Symbian or Windows OS...thus most users like us are more familiar with the capabilities of a Treo, HPiPAq, Nokia N-Series etc...which interfaces with....the Windows powered PC (clone or branded) , which is everywhere...home..office...net cafe...i have used a Mac, i own an iPod...but it doesnt have much cake on the current hardware interfaces available here unlike in the US...

Subliminal selling by Mr. Jobs? :lol:

Can i beam files to another phone or device using its BT? thru IR? eww...

3G is a staple in Asia..how can the current iPhone provide that? zilch...

In the US its another story

Well, if you care to back read my posts, the point I was making was that the iPhone's real functionality shines when used in synergy with a Mac. If you use Windows, tough luck for you. I'm a Mac user.

I'm not even contesting the integration of the Mac with the iPhone. Of course it will integrate itself seamlessly with each other - they're being made by the same company.

Now, that sounds like a solid case for an antitrust lawsuit to me, though... What has really bugged me: why is Microsoft taking so much flak from people saying that it's monopolizing the PC market when Apple itself is guilty of the same thing and more, actually? Now it even wants to corner the phone market!

Edited by artvader
I'm not even contesting the integration of the Mac with the iPhone. Of course it will integrate itself seamlessly with each other - they're being made by the same company.

Now, that sounds like a solid case for an antitrust lawsuit to me, though... What has really bugged me: why is Microsoft taking so much flak from people saying that it's monopolizing the PC market when Apple itself is guilty of the same thing and more, actually? Now it even wants to corner the phone market!

I'm with you on this one.

But really, you can only corner the market when you have an overwhelming market share. Like, for instance, Windows's share of the total PC operating system market. By sheer size, the developer of Windows can put in features that will make it difficult for publishers of certain software or makers of certain hardware to work well with Wondows and hence would have their free market competitiveness handicapped by such actions.

On the other hand, iPhone can be used as a standalone product. Unlike say Internet Explorer which at one time could not be uninstalled from Windows and hence prevented publishers of other web browsers to get into the market of Windows OS adopters.

It just happens that with Apple's iLife 08 software suite, the iPhone just gets so much sexier. This is not to say that software publishers who cater to the Windows crowd are prevented from writing a similar application. Aple just had the vision to get there first. It really isa question of mind set.

You win some...you lose some...

With the iPhone's Safari browser, it doesn't support Flash and Java

but you get great UI graphics (Apple pioneered GUI) and animations as well as supreme web surfing experience

as boomouse said...its a paradigm shift...and comes along with it the..."hardware shift" (start saving for those Power Macs) :D

Edited by orionpax
You win some...you lose some...

With the iPhone's Safari browser, it doesn't support Flash and Java

but you get great UI graphics (Apple pioneered GUI) and animations as well as supreme web surfing experience

as boomouse said...its a paradigm shift...and comes along with it the..."hardware shift" (start saving for those Power Macs) :D

I can live without the java for security reasons--a lot of virii for symbian OS phones are written in java. And flash? well the graphics are nice but they really take time to load and that would detract from a nice user experience. so pwede na mag pass din.

What I am looking forward to are the Asia and Euro versions of the iPhone which are rumoured to be 3G capable. Apple knows that the US is the sticks compared to Asia and Europe--even the Philippines, when it comes to mobile phone sophistication.

BTW wala nang "PowerMac" puro "IntelMac" ang lumalabas. The C2D's are the bomb. MPEG4 renders almost faster than real time on a laptop

That would be interesting, id like to see how that version of the iPhone stack up against the available tech (Windows CE/Symbian 3.5G or 4G? phones) when the time comes...and im sure the iPhone has already a cult following by then (at least in the US or Europe)

But with its "finger" touch screen and sleek looks...the iPhone gets my vote for aesthetics :D

What I am looking forward to are the Asia and Euro versions of the iPhone which are rumoured to be 3G capable. Apple knows that the US is the sticks compared to Asia and Europe--even the Philippines, when it comes to mobile phone sophistication.
Edited by orionpax

Not so sleek when fingerprints are all over the phone, though. I'm very wary about devices that use touchscreen technology: they're so fragile. But for the price they're selling the iPhone for and for its lack of features, I think I'll pass...

It seems Apple zombies say that they can do without a certain feature until Steve Jobs starts adding it in his devices. Then they go 'ooohh... ahhhh... me want one.'

Guest airmax

Mga chief confirm ko lang may nakausap ako sa chat sabi ung iphone mas unang na hacked ng isang pinoy dito sa atin or sa abroad. Alam ko recently lang sya na hacked ng isang 17 yo teenager na amerikano. Ang sabi ng kausap ko may mas naunang pinoy na ka hacked doon na feature pa raw sa saksi. I noticed na hindi naman sya ganoon ka tecnhically proficient when it comes to computers. Di ko alam kung ayaw nyang magpatalo kasi binibida nya na may pinoy daw na naka hacked sa iphone. Sabi ko I need to see the news first before believing yuo.

Mga chief confirm ko lang may nakausap ako sa chat sabi ung iphone mas unang na hacked ng isang pinoy dito sa atin or sa abroad. Alam ko recently lang sya na hacked ng isang 17 yo teenager na amerikano. Ang sabi ng kausap ko may mas naunang pinoy na ka hacked doon na feature pa raw sa saksi. I noticed na hindi naman sya ganoon ka tecnhically proficient when it comes to computers. Di ko alam kung ayaw nyang magpatalo kasi binibida nya na may pinoy daw na naka hacked sa iphone. Sabi ko I need to see the news first before believing yuo.

Isn't that a a scary thought? Kung isang not technically proficient na teener nakaka hack ng iPhone, what makes you so sure hindi nakaka gawa ng virus ang mga technically proficient geeks para dito eh internet-centric pa naman itong iPhone.

iPhone’s Got a Virus!

21 07 2007

Gizmodo is reporting a possible iPhone virus. A user called it in and Apple support told him in four very scary words that it must’ve been a virus. The user never took a picture. The solution from Apple support seems to have worked and nothing else was seen or heard.

A Gizmodo reader is claiming that his iPhone got what Apple support said “sounds like a virus.” Last night he heard a received SMS ring but there was none. Instead, the iPhone’s date was replaced by the text “Player Haters (red alert).” Since the first external app was compiled this week, it’s hard to believe. There are other explanations. [Gizmodo]

We want to help Gizmodo find more evidence of this virus, so if you happen to have an iPhone seen something something weird on the screen, post it in the comments section.

Mac/Apple users should get the idea off their minds that they are immune to viruses and worms because the fact is that they're not. Nobody just has taken a great deal of time developing a virus for these devices.

Shortly after the iPhone was released, a group of security researchers at Independent Security Evaluators decided to investigate how hard it would be for a remote adversary to compromise the private information stored on the device. Within two weeks of part time work, we had successfully discovered a vulnerability, developed a toolchain for working with the iPhone's architecture (which also includes some tools from the #iphone-dev community), and created a proof-of-concept exploit capable of delivering files from the user's iPhone to a remote attacker. We have notified Apple of the vulnerability and proposed a patch. Apple is currently looking into it.

A member of our team, Dr. Charlie Miller, will be presenting the full details of discovering the vulnerability and creating the exploit at BlackHat on August 2nd. This site will be updated to reflect those details at that time; until then, we have decided only to release general information about exploiting the iPhone.

How the exploit works

The exploit is delivered via a malicious web page opened in the Safari browser on the iPhone. There are several delivery vectors that an attacker might utilize to get a victim to open such a web page. For example:

* An attacker controlled wireless access point: Because the iPhone learns access points by name (SSID), if a user ever gets near an attacker-controlled access point with the same name (and encryption type) as an access point previously trusted by the user, the iPhone will automatically use the malicious access point. This allows the attacker to add the exploit to any web page browsed by the user by replacing the requested page with a page containing the exploit.

* A misconfigured forum website: If a web forum's software is not configured to prevent users from including potentially dangerous data in their posts, an attacker could cause the exploit to run in any iPhone browser that viewed the thread. (This would require some slight changes in our proof of concept exploit, however.)

* A link delivered via e-mail or SMS: If an attacker can trick a user into opening a website that the attacker controls, the attacker can easily embed the exploit into the main page of the website.

When the iPhone's version of Safari opens the malicious web page, arbitrary code embedded in the exploit is run with administrative privileges. In our proof of concept, this code reads the log of SMS messages, the address book, the call history, and the voicemail data. It then transmits all this information to the attacker. However, this code could be replaced with code that does anything that the iPhone can do. It could send the user's mail passwords to the attacker, send text messages that sign the user up for pay services, or record audio that could be relayed to the attacker.

Edited by artvader

dude,try to back read and you'll see the hacked iPhone that's working here already.

Guest airmax

na hacked nga kaso hindi mo rin pala magamit lahat ng features for sure baka doble ang presyo nyan pagkaibebenta sa atin. siempre bibilihin yan dito na hindi pa hacked tapos ihahacked isa isa. pero sabi nong elbert cuenca wala daw edge network of course kasi ang EDGE nasa AT&T lang.

ang tanong ko kung na hacked nga bakit alang nagbebenta sa atin. lahat ng nakakausap ko sa chat nagtatanong kung saan ko nabili iphone ko i inform them na hindi ako based sa pinas.

Edited by airmax
Mac/Apple users should get the idea off their minds that they are immune to viruses and worms because the fact is that they're not. Nobody just has taken a great deal of time developing a virus for these devices.

You think the virus resistnace of our Macs is just in our minds? You wish! I've been usng a Mac since 1986 and OS X Macs since they came out. In the last two years, I heve not had a single incident of malware, spyware, adware, trojan, or bot on my Powerbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro or iMac.

Over that same period, our windows desktop and a Lenovo laptop logged over 200 suspected indients with AVG anti-virus. This has been agreat challenge to virus writers but so far we haven't sween any who succeeded. When they do, I am confident that the solution will be simple and straightforward.

Windows is just good for games anyway so kung ma-virus, okay lang, reformat, re-install, and re-infect. No productivity lost.

As stated, any device that connects to the internet and allows program to be installed are prone to viruses. Even a stand-alone GPS device can get viruses, why not a mac/iphone/ipod? It's just plain ignorance that people dismiss it as so. After all... why would Norton make an anti-virus program for the Mac or mobile phnes/devices if it's not vulnerable to viruses? Virus writers/programs are just ignoring the macs for now because of the limited user-base...

OT: I beg to differ about Windows productivity not being lost as compared to Macs. Aren't the Mac ads focusing on it being an entertainment computer rather than a work computer, the reason why the bundled softwares are time-wasters like iLife/iTunes and not "flowchart" making softwares?

Virus writers/programs are just ignoring the macs for now because of the limited user-base...

im not a mac user, but i beg to disagree with that.. isnt it that kung virus writer ka and you are the FIRST one to produce a really effective virus for the mac eh mas sisikat ka?

if i was a virus writer id really bust my head off to create a mac virus just so for the identity it will bring me..

anyway, OT naman yang virus on the mac on this thread.. you can continue your POV in the Mac thread pinned at the top of the section.. :)

hehe...but im sure "status symbol" groupies would save for this gadget so they can "flash" (not the firmware) it in front of chums...sikat ba :lol:

Not so sleek when fingerprints are all over the phone, though. I'm very wary about devices that use touchscreen technology: they're so fragile. But for the price they're selling the iPhone for and for its lack of features, I think I'll pass...

It seems Apple zombies say that they can do without a certain feature until Steve Jobs starts adding it in his devices. Then they go 'ooohh... ahhhh... me want one.'

Guest airmax
dude,try to back read and you'll see the hacked iPhone that's working here already.

you know what i checked the other board particularly philmug the moderator of that board informed us that this is all a hoax. in short di totoo. :P

look at this

Teen trades hacked iPhone for new car

Tue Aug 28, 6:03 AM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070828/...phone_unlocked

SAN FRANCISCO - The teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with cellular networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.

ADVERTISEMENT

George Hotz, of Glen Rock, N.J., said he had reached the deal with CertiCell, a Louisville, Ky.-based mobile phone repair company.

Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones."

"This has been a great end to a great summer," Hotz wrote.

The 17-year-old Hotz said he will be sending the three new iPhones to the three online collaborators who helped him divorce Apple Inc's popular product from AT&T's network. The job took 500 hours, or about 8 hours a day since the iPhone's June 29 launch.

Hotz made the deal with Terry Daidone, co-founder of CertiCell, who also promised the teen a paid consulting job.

"We do not have any plans on the table right now to commercialize Mr. Hotz' discovery," Daidone said in a statement.

___

On the Net:

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com

look at this

Teen trades hacked iPhone for new car

Tue Aug 28, 6:03 AM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070828/...phone_unlocked

SAN FRANCISCO - The teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with cellular networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.

ADVERTISEMENT

George Hotz, of Glen Rock, N.J., said he had reached the deal with CertiCell, a Louisville, Ky.-based mobile phone repair company.

Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones."

"This has been a great end to a great summer," Hotz wrote.

The 17-year-old Hotz said he will be sending the three new iPhones to the three online collaborators who helped him divorce Apple Inc's popular product from AT&T's network. The job took 500 hours, or about 8 hours a day since the iPhone's June 29 launch.

Hotz made the deal with Terry Daidone, co-founder of CertiCell, who also promised the teen a paid consulting job.

"We do not have any plans on the table right now to commercialize Mr. Hotz' discovery," Daidone said in a statement.

___

On the Net:

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com

Does it have a regular sim slot tho? Even if ma-open line sya, magagamit kaya dito?