The Football Thread

Labuyo

^ true. The more teams the better talaga. Kaso lang 2 squads ang nag fold na this season. Expenses are really prohibitive kaya sana lang things turn around for the league

Sa ngayon wala talaga exposure ang pfl. Maybe through streaming or podcasting of fixtures is the key

To be honest, I never saw from a logistic standpoint how the home and away format would be sustainable. I could just imagine how expensive it is for the flights of each club going back and forth to these places that are far from manila. Kung sa basketball nga hinde nag succeed with the MBA project, how much more pa sa football. Although there could be a resurgence sa maharlika basketball but that is a topic for another discussion. I hope i'm wrong but the way I see it wala pa tayo sa level na we could sustain a home and away format para sa local na liga.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, we found out the groupings of the Azkals in the upcoming Suzuki Cup 2018 in November, and the AFC Asian Cup 2019 in January! Both look pretty hard if you ask me, but I guess that's the only way they can improve!

Suzuki Cup 2018 Groupings:

Group A:

Vietnam

Malaysia

Myanmar

Cambodia

Laos

Group B:

Thailand

Indonesia

Philippines

Singapore

Brunei/East Timor (pending who wins their home-and-away qualification playoff this Sept!)

[NOTE: In this system, the old top two from each group will advance to the knockout stage!]

______________________________________________________________________________________

AFC Asian Cup 2019 Groupings:

Group A:

UAE (Host)

Thailand

India

Bahrain

Group B:

Australia

Syria

Palestine

Jordan

Group C:

South Korea

China

Kyrgyzstan

Philippines

Group D:

Iran

Iraq

Vietnam

Yemen

Group E:

Saudi Arabia

Qatar

Lebanon

North Korea

Group F:

Japan

Uzbekistan

Oman

Turkmenistan

[NOTE: The top two from each group, PLUS the four best third placers advance to the knockout stages!]

the ceres bacolod squad is back in the asean zonal finals even though it cost them a lot w/ maranon's red card.

but the biggest challenge pinoy football is facing is the uncertainty of the continued existence of the pfl. delikado talaga ang liga :(

as for the azkals, congrats to palami and co for attaining the highest fifa ranking ever. i hope it doesn't stop there w/ the problems besetting the pro league

• 2 weeks later...

Let's make a list of venues that will show the World Cup publicly here in the country for the benefit of our football-loving kababayans here! Feel free to add to this list if you know of others! Thanks...:

Makati:

H&J

Handlebar

Fort/BGC:

Skinny Mike's

BF Homes:

Mulligans

Edited by mrconfusion87

Let's make a list of venues that will show the World Cup publicly here in the country for the benefit of our football-loving kababayans here! Feel free to add to this list if you know of others! Thanks...:

Makati:

H&J

Handlebar

Fort/BGC:

Skinny Mike's

BF Homes:

Mulligans

VUs Bar at Marco Polo Ortigas Center

Thanks to all Manila Tonight users for helping me gather this list for where to watch the World Cup in Metro Manila! If you know anymore locations in the metro, please feel free to add to my list! Thanks!

The 2018 World Cup watching venue list for Metro Manila:

Makati:
H&J
Handlebar

Draft (Rockwell)

Draft (Greenbelt 2)

Howzat

121 (Pasong Tamo)

Fort/BGC:
Skinny Mike's

Bugsy's

Brotzeit (Shang-ri La)

Belle and Dragon

Tipsy Pig (Forbestown)

BF Homes:
Mulligans

Ortigas:

VUs Bar, Marco Polo

Brotzeit (Shang Mall)

Draft (Ayala the 30th)

Tipsy Pig (Capital Commons)

Eastwood:

Alabang:

​Draft (Molito)

Manila:

Snaps, Sofitel

This World Cup has already had a number of shockers this early (Argentina tying Iceland, Brazil tying Switzerland, Germany sunk by Mexico, Russia demolishing Saudi in that manner they did, etc). It probably should not be surprising if a team that was not expected to win ends up winning it all instead!

Edited by mrconfusion87