The Football Thread

Labuyo

i know winning at europe is a bigger deal, but ist it that big when compared to a national competition like the premier league?

premier league is over rated. blame it on television rights, media effect and sponsors. heck theyre even taking the EPL abroad. credit to one man: Richard Scudamore. All he thinks about is money, money, money. but forsake money for talent? id rather watch the argentinians boca juniors than watch man utd. stars are presented here, but it isnt fair to the bottom half of the clubs. its too, shall we say, polarized. they really do need to put up a salary cap comparable to that of the NBA.

chelsea would have a more meaningful trophy when they win the champs league. too early too say though despite the couple of injuries that hit chelsea after this weeks matches.

Champs league are played by the top 4 of every league. Premier league teams play the usual long ball boring game and depend on the first goal before parking their bus on front of their net. at the same time, critics may say that premier league should be played with consistency which is a really important aspect in managing team.

the bottom line is that if chelsea win this, its going to be a draw between man utd and chelsea.

heres a quick analogy, i think the japanese teams from the J-league, or Singaporean teams from the S-league respectively, or even the Arabian teams from the Sheikh Leagues - would focus more of winning games in the Asian Champs league as it would 1) attract more top players to play for them, 2) gain valuable international experience,3) more profit from media, 4) and i think, most importantly, attract scouts from top leagues in Europe (e.g. Park Ji Sung,

Lee Dong-gook, Mido, etc.).

Champs League over domestic competitions over the minds of all managers. its not yet game over for the Chelski fans out there. I bid good luck to both teams this 22nd (345 am).

i could not say who could win it at this point but i would honestly say chelsea has a 0.001 % edge with this one. factors are, as i stated earlier, Romans home grounds. Plus they captured Bosingwa first over man utd which would give them a psycholigical edge. Well, depsite this, chelseas' plagued with a couple if injuries.

At this stage, you need mother luck by your side.

i know winning at europe is a bigger deal, but ist it that big when compared to a national competition like the premier league?

domestic league competition is still favored in most clubs' goals for each year.. teams in la liga, serie a and premiership would tell you that it's more important to win the league than the champions league..

GLORY MANCHESTER UNITED! labas na mga true mancunian jan, support our team!

champions league manchester united vs chelsea

malakas nga line up ng chelsea , pero Manchester united parin.. i hope the spirit of 1999 summons in moscow

take me home united road to the place i belong to see united at old trafford take me home united road ( sing it like john denvers country road )

@ duchess- berbatov to Manunited? pede din, how about Benzima of LYON? tagal na gusto ni sir alex un eh

MANCHESTER UNITED

domestic league competition is still favored in most clubs' goals for each year.. teams in la liga, serie a and premiership would tell you that it's more important to win the league than the champions league..

agree, and i respect your comment on this, but come to think of it, wouldnt having a set of European supercups or now champs league trophies look better than having a set of domestic cups/trophies on your CV?

Compare Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez. Wenger, renowned for an unbeatean EPL season (03-04), series of 2nd-3rd place finishes in his whole EPL tenure, etc. Then comes Rafa along, a minnow coming fresh from Valencia success wanting to resurrect Liverpool and aid Houllier. BOOM, in his first season, he wins the champs league, then he becomes an icon.

Heck, Even midtable clubs are inspiring to get a place in Europe to get that taste of top class quality football with the likes of Everton, Man City, Middlesborough, and Bolton. youd rank these for the Uefa Cup/Intertoto cups; these fail to win snatch their own trophies domestically so they try playing on a level of football where clubs from other leagues are of the same ranks.

In then end, its really up to the managers style of play (tactics). Some are better suited to local games, some for foreign.

GLORY MANCHESTER UNITED! labas na mga true mancunian jan, support our team!

champions league manchester united vs chelsea

malakas nga line up ng chelsea , pero Manchester united parin.. i hope the spirit of 1999 summons in moscow

take me home united road to the place i belong to see united at old trafford take me home united road ( sing it like john denvers country road )

@ duchess- berbatov to Manunited? pede din, how about Benzima of LYON? tagal na gusto ni sir alex un eh

MANCHESTER UNITED

its impossible to get Benzema at this stage of his stardom from a great club like Lyon; theyre not, to get the words of Martin O Neill, a "feeder club". But berbatov from Tottenham? lol berbatov has been itching to get away from this club. so yes possible.

winning any competition is an achievement; be it a domestic league or the champions league..

its just lame to say that the EPL is overrated, c'mon, if it was overrated, why would there be 3 teams in the semis of the Champions League? this year, the english teams dominated the Champions League..please don't downplay ManUtd's achievement by saying that the EPL is overrated, A WINNER IS A WINNER, give credit to where its due, the red devils really had a hard time winning this trophy this year, because of so many factors such as injuries, controversies as well as being affected by the skeds of other competitions; and if the EPL is really overrated, why can't Liverpool win the English Premiere League lately?hehehehehe :)

winning the EPL i think is very hard because what you need is consistency, in defense and in offense, you play so many games domestically, with cup competitions (carling & fa) & with also the champions league present, it takes a very consistent team to weather all those matches..

arsenal weren't able to maintain their title challenge because they were to inconsistent, giving up points to lesser teams, this also goes for liverpool, rafa is a tactical genius after all but what he lacks is consistency, he plays too much with the line-up hoping that each recipe he produces for various competitions will win him games..

in the CL, you have more time to prepare tactically against your opponents and you only play less games to win (winning 11 games from the group stages up to the final wins you the CL title), but your opponents are a whole lot better & there is better exposure to other styles of play from various teams in Europe..Liverpool were deserving CL champions 3 yrs ago, Rafa was a tactically genius in winning that trophy..

manutd are the underdogs in the CL final, kung baga sa tagalog, ang chelsea ang kontra-pelo ng manutd, they can easily match-up to manutd's weapons, i really hope sir alex and the red devils can conjure up enough magic to win on may 21 :) go manutd!!!! :)

Edited by _eRon_
winning any competition is an achievement; be it a domestic league or the champions league..

its just lame to say that the EPL is overrated, c'mon, if it was overrated, why would there be 3 teams in the semis of the Champions League? this year, the english teams dominated the Champions League..please don't downplay ManUtd's achievement by saying that the EPL is overrated, A WINNER IS A WINNER, give credit to where its due, the red devils really had a hard time winning this trophy this year, because of so many factors such as injuries, controversies as well as being affected by the skeds of other competitions; and if the EPL is really overrated, why can't Liverpool win the English Premiere League lately?hehehehehe :)

winning the EPL i think is very hard because what you need is consistency, in defense and in offense, you play so many games domestically, with cup competitions (carling & fa) & with also the champions league present, it takes a very consistent team to weather all those matches..

arsenal weren't able to maintain their title challenge because they were to inconsistent, giving up points to lesser teams, this also goes for liverpool, rafa is a tactical genius after all but what he lacks is consistency, he plays too much with the line-up hoping that each recipe he produces for various competitions will win him games..

in the CL, you have more time to prepare tactically against your opponents and you only play less games to win (winning 11 games from the group stages up to the final wins you the CL title), but your opponents are a whole lot better & there is better exposure to other styles of play from various teams in Europe..Liverpool were deserving CL champions 3 yrs ago, Rafa was a tactically genius in winning that trophy..

manutd are the underdogs in the CL final, kung baga sa tagalog, ang chelsea ang kontra-pelo ng manutd, they can easily match-up to manutd's weapons, i really hope sir alex and the red devils can conjure up enough magic to win on may 21 :) go manutd!!!! :)

good point. well taken. knew such feedback was coming. haha. especially me being the underdog in this forum. i believe there are 4-5 manutd fans, versus 2 RM fans, and me soloing for liverpool.

but u mentioning about the reds being the underdogs, its too tight for me to even choose an underdog. this is one of the tightest finals i have ever encountered. im going to prepare my case of beer, pancit canton, and my 32"inch flat screen to enjoy this close encounter.

if Ferguson wins this one, he could end his career in style as fergusons Era similar to that of Kenny Dalgishs' days back in the 80s. On the contrary, if Grant wins it, could be the first of many towards his Chelsea career.

good luck to both teams.

imho, if a league is rated by its top clubs - then the english premier league is definitely the best in the world at the moment. their top 4 clubs are better than any other league's top 4. however, the spanish primera liga has more depth. so if we take the quality of all 20 teams in a league - the spanish primera liga is the best. just look at the clubs not in the top 4 right now - valencia, sevilla, getafe, espanyol - all quality clubs who can make any team in the champions league sweat...

what? underdogs, the premiership champions underdogs? :blink: ano ba ito, advance alibi kung sakaling "masilat?" hehehe..

anyone watching the zenit-rangers UEFA Cup final?

who are your bets?

syempre zenit ako as this was martin skrtel's former club just before the was transferred to liverpool this january. Besides, whod go for Rangers who style of play is disgraceful; if you noticed how they play against Barca in the group stages, youd know what i mean.

Walang liamado and dehado sa CL final.

United. League Champs

Chelski. Home Advantage.

DutchesXI

You'll never walk alone mate. There are a few reds here. You just need to "summon" them.

I used to be the lone ENG and Man United fan here. It was a bit rough but it was fun never the less. :P

Howard Im all for Darchevile's team.

syempre zenit ako as this was martin skrtel's former club just before the was transferred to liverpool this january. Besides, whod go for Rangers who style of play is disgraceful; if you noticed how they play against Barca in the group stages, youd know what i mean.

"Russia's Zenit St Petersburg won their first major European honour on Wednesday night after beating Scotland's Rangers 2-0 in a tense UEFA Cup final. Zenit, who were much the stronger side at the City of Manchester Stadium, finally got the opener in the 72nd minute thanks to Igor Denisov and then in the last minute they doubled their advantage as Rangers pushed in vain for an equaliser." Reuters

Anti-footballs dead.

@redshirt.... anong lone fan ng manunited at england? baka nakalimutan mo ako? hehe..

TRUE RED DEVIL AND MANCUNIAN here sir!

capello said na he's still counting on beckham so back sa england squad yata sya...

too sad di naka qualify sa euro

my personal choice line up for CL

rooney and tevez front. L to R Scholes Giggs Hargreaves Ronaldo

evra silvestre ferdinand brown

subs. Nani,park,oshea,carrick

@redshirt.... anong lone fan ng manunited at england? baka nakalimutan mo ako? hehe..

capello said na he's still counting on beckham so back sa england squad yata sya...

he was referring to the other reds which was liverpool.

id go for -->

Man Utd:

------------------------------------

Tevez

Ronaldo

Park Carrick Scholes Nani

Evra Ferdinand Brown Hargreaves

Nani-Park roaming left to right

-----------------------------------------------

Chelsea:

---------------------------------

Drogba

Kalou Lampard Ballack Cole

Makelele

Cole Terry Carvhalo Ferreira

Lampard and Ballack making runs into the box.

------------------------------------

Bro dati ako lang ang nagiisa dito puros FCB and LIV sila dito.

Ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng "crownies" :P

ako solid manutd!!!! heheheheh sama2x tyo mga solid red devils!!! hehehe

kaya ko nasabi na underdog ang manutd sa champions league final kasi sa 2 cup finals na kalaban nila ang chelsea, parehong panalo ang chelsea...sana tlga manalo manutd :)..

congrats sa zenit petersburg, well deserved trophy, dick advocaat is a great coach, earning zenits 1st major european championship :)..