The Football Thread

Labuyo

Ang tips ko sa fantasy football sa premierleague na website.

1 prolific striker. A choice between Torres or Tevez.

2-3 midfeild magicians. Ako I opted for 2. Lamps and Fabergas

Atleast 4 solid defenders. Choose those that you think will keep clean sheets and even nick a goal or two. Ferdinand, Beleti (because he always starts and CHE seldom let goals in), Carragher, Traore. for your fifth defender... choose nyo kung si Lescot,Richards,Laursen,Corluka,Campbell.

1 prolific keeper and 1 up to par

Sa prolific it's a choice between VDS,Reina,Chec,James,Robo,Friedel. Ako si calamity james ang gusto ko kasi bilib talaga ako sa kanya.

Sa mga up to par... Choice between Green,Hart,Gordon,Sorensen,Neiemi

And ang pinkaimportante sa lahat. WAG bumili ng mga "vanity" players. Yeah ganda nga tignan ng may Rooney,Drogba,Lampard,Ronaldo and Fabregas sa team mo pero yung mga iba naman mga bulok or hindi pa naglalaro.... Make another team for your "vanity' player. That's what I did pero hindi puros "vanity" players because my "vanity" team is also in the top 50 sa PI.

goodluck sa paglaro. :D

discussion time:

who are the top 10 players in the world today?

1. kaka, ac milan

the 2007 fifpro (player's association) world player of the year, the 2007 uefa player of the year, and the hands down favorite to win the prestigious ballon d'or as well as the fifa world player of the year. led ac milan to the champions league title (also ended up as the top scorer). almost single-handedly dismantled man utd in the semi-final. probably the most complete player in the world today (he defends well too!). one of the few players who can dominate a match, at gwaping pa haha.

2. cristiano ronaldo, manchester united

was the best player in the english premier league last season. led man utd to the league title, scoring 17 goals (amazing for a winger). swept the annual pfa awards in england. has incredible pace and superb technique, usually making defenders look silly with his trickery. was a challenger to kaka, pero he disappeared during the semi-final clash in the champions league.

3. lionel messi, fc barcelona

is the best player in the world at the moment, maybe along with cesc fabregas. with all the star power in barca, it's this 20 year old kid who they put on a pedestal. he scores amazing goals week in and week out. simply unstoppable ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=hokq-7olthE ). if he runs at you, best you can do is foul him - if you can catch him. give him a year and he'll definitely be at the top of this list.

4. thierry henry, fc barcelona

the best ever player to suit up for arsenal (apologies to denis bergkamp). maybe the best foreign player ever in the premiership (apologies to eric cantona). maybe the best ever in the premiership? another of the few who can carry his team on his shoulders, winning matches they should not have won. he has yet to make his mark in barcelona, but is already an arsenal legend.

5. ronaldinho, fc barcelona

the 2 time fifa world player of the year. has pretty much won it all, but i personally think his career is already on the decline. still has outrageous skills and party tricks, and is still definitely a match winner. but as a barca fan i must say - sell him now while he still commands a huge transfer fee! pretty soon wala na bibili.

6. wayne rooney, manchester united

a match winner. england's future is all about rooney. the only way england will win a major title (euro championships or world cup) is if rooney plays well.

7. francesco totti, as roma

the reigning european golden boot winner. has scored over 100 goals in serie a. defined the role of "trequartista" (second striker). on a side note, did you guys know that totti is the erap of italy? meron joke books on his katangahan.

8. fabio cannavaro, real madrid

the world cup winning captain of italy. the reigning ballon d'or winner and fifa world player of the year (2006). his commanding displays are the main reason italy won the world cup. however, has suffered a dip in form since his transfer from juventus to real madrid.

9. steven gerrard, liverpool

the model england player. full of passion and commitment. led an unheralded liverpool team to champions league glory in 2005. and again to the final in 2007.

10. gianluigi buffon, juventus

along with cannavaro, led italy to the world cup. only allowed 2 goals during the whole campaign: a laugh-trip own goal against the united states, and a penalty against zinedine zidane.

honourable mentions:

didier drogba, chelsea - the powerful striker led the epl in goals last season (20, and 33 overall).

cesc fabregas, arsenal - give this kid some time and he'll be in the top 3.

samuel eto'o - injuries kept him out, but look how barca performs without him.

dani alves, sevilla - he is supposed to be a right back, but he's all over the pitch. main reason sevilla won back to back uefa cups.

michael essien - the most consistent performer in the epl. can play anywhere.

discussion time:

who are the top 10 players in the world today?

1. kaka, ac milan

the 2007 fifpro (player's association) world player of the year, the 2007 uefa player of the year, and the hands down favorite to win the prestigious ballon d'or as well as the fifa world player of the year. led ac milan to the champions league title (also ended up as the top scorer). almost single-handedly dismantled man utd in the semi-final. probably the most complete player in the world today (he defends well too!). one of the few players who can dominate a match, at gwaping pa haha.

2. cristiano ronaldo, manchester united

was the best player in the english premier league last season. led man utd to the league title, scoring 17 goals (amazing for a winger). swept the annual pfa awards in england. has incredible pace and superb technique, usually making defenders look silly with his trickery. was a challenger to kaka, pero he disappeared during the semi-final clash in the champions league.

3. lionel messi, fc barcelona

is the best player in the world at the moment, maybe along with cesc fabregas. with all the star power in barca, it's this 20 year old kid who they put on a pedestal. he scores amazing goals week in and week out. simply unstoppable ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=hokq-7olthE ). if he runs at you, best you can do is foul him - if you can catch him. give him a year and he'll definitely be at the top of this list.

4. thierry henry, fc barcelona

the best ever player to suit up for arsenal (apologies to denis bergkamp). maybe the best foreign player ever in the premiership (apologies to eric cantona). maybe the best ever in the premiership? another of the few who can carry his team on his shoulders, winning matches they should not have won. he has yet to make his mark in barcelona, but is already an arsenal legend.

5. ronaldinho, fc barcelona

the 2 time fifa world player of the year. has pretty much won it all, but i personally think his career is already on the decline. still has outrageous skills and party tricks, and is still definitely a match winner. but as a barca fan i must say - sell him now while he still commands a huge transfer fee! pretty soon wala na bibili.

6. wayne rooney, manchester united

a match winner. england's future is all about rooney. the only way england will win a major title (euro championships or world cup) is if rooney plays well.

7. francesco totti, as roma

the reigning european golden boot winner. has scored over 100 goals in serie a. defined the role of "trequartista" (second striker). on a side note, did you guys know that totti is the erap of italy? meron joke books on his katangahan.

8. fabio cannavaro, real madrid

the world cup winning captain of italy. the reigning ballon d'or winner and fifa world player of the year (2006). his commanding displays are the main reason italy won the world cup. however, has suffered a dip in form since his transfer from juventus to real madrid.

9. steven gerrard, liverpool

the model england player. full of passion and commitment. led an unheralded liverpool team to champions league glory in 2005. and again to the final in 2007.

10. gianluigi buffon, juventus

along with cannavaro, led italy to the world cup. only allowed 2 goals during the whole campaign: a laugh-trip own goal against the united states, and a penalty against zinedine zidane.

honourable mentions:

didier drogba, chelsea - the powerful striker led the epl in goals last season (20, and 33 overall).

cesc fabregas, arsenal - give this kid some time and he'll be in the top 3.

samuel eto'o - injuries kept him out, but look how barca performs without him.

dani alves, sevilla - he is supposed to be a right back, but he's all over the pitch. main reason sevilla won back to back uefa cups.

michael essien - the most consistent performer in the epl. can play anywhere.

Im surprised na kasali si Gerrard,Canavaro and Buffon. Canavaro is one of the main reasons why Real concede a lot of goals! Buffon played in Serrie B last season. Gerard has been in very bad form of late. How about Rud Van Nisterooj? He has been playing better than Gerrard,Buffon,Canavaro Why is he not part of the short list? And don't get me started with Ronaldhinio. Please! While Henry is not in my good books because he left ARS for more money.

Im surprised na kasali si Gerrard,Canavaro and Buffon. Canavaro is one of the main reasons why Real concede a lot of goals! Buffon played in Serrie B last season. Gerard has been in very bad form of late. How about Rud Van Nisterooj? He has been playing better than Gerrard,Buffon,Canavaro Why is he not part of the short list? And don't get me started with Ronaldhinio. Please! While Henry is not in my good books because he left ARS for more money.

you're right, i should have put rvn in the shortlist. but, he won't displace gerrard, cannavaro or buffon in my top 10. the 3 have shown that they can perform in the biggest stages (gerrard in the champions league, and the 2 italians in the world cup).

anyway, this is my opinion only. who's in your top 10?

Edited by damaso
While Henry is not in my good books because he left ARS for more money.

everyone wants more money. they are after all professionals playing for money. judging players because of their contracts is not an objective way of saying who is good and who is not. :)

do you think your golden boy cristiano ronaldo left portugal to get a glimpse of the english countryside? hell no, it was for more money! how about rooney? is he getting less money than what he got at his old team?

kung yun ang basis (player/s leaving their teams for more money) mo kung sino ang magaling, eh sino pa ang matitira na player/s? :blink: si raul of RM lang malamang ang matira, sya na ata may pinakamahabang service for a single team.. :P

you're right, i should have put rvn in the shortlist. but, he won't displace gerrard, cannavaro or buffon in my top 10. the 3 have shown that they can perform in the biggest stages (gerrard in the champions league, and the 2 italians in the world cup).

anyway, this is my opinion only. who's in your top 10?

Oh. my bad mate. I was under the impression that the list you provided was "actual". Anyway mine goes this way:

1. kaka

2. Vanistelrooij

3. Rooney

4. C. Ronaldo

5. Fabregas

6. Messi

7. Drogba

8. Torres

9. Reina

10. Ferdinand

Special Mentions: Beckham, Totti, Klose...

everyone wants more money. they are after all professionals playing for money. judging players because of their contracts is not an objective way of saying who is good and who is not. :)

do you think your golden boy cristiano ronaldo left portugal to get a glimpse of the english countryside? hell no, it was for more money! how about rooney? is he getting less money than what he got at his old team?

kung yun ang basis (player/s leaving their teams for more money) mo kung sino ang magaling, eh sino pa ang matitira na player/s? :blink: si raul of RM lang malamang ang matira, sya na ata may pinakamahabang service for a single team.. :P

Yes. Yo have a poin there mate. But for me Henry leaving for Barca is different from Zlatan leaving Juve. Torres leaving Atletico, Tevez leaving WHU. I can't realy say that my reasons are valid but I think they prove a point.

1. Henry was Captain

2. After reading an article from GQ, it made me think that his loyalty is to Arsenal. He even promised the reporter who was a ARS fan that he will not leave. I know it's petty and all but that's that.

3. He's now shite. Compare Arsenal's Henry form FCB's Henry. You can see the difference.

4. Henry was CAPTAIN. This realy does it for me. Imagine if Terry left for let's say Inter, Gerrard for Olympic Lyon. There is a difference between just being captain and being CAPTAIN. I hope you get where Im playing at.

:)

team LOYALTY is an overrated phrase in pro sports.

FCB Henry is still better than 85% of the strikers worldwide. ill take FCB Henry anytime. the fact of the matter is Henry is world class regardless of where he would be, regardless of how much money he rakes in. ofcourse FCB Henry would be struggling out of the gate because he is in a new system and he is learning about his new teammates. it's not as easy transferring from your comfort zone to a whole new different world. different league, different style of play, different language, different environment, different everything.

what happened to the great roy keane when he was ditched by ManU? did his loyalty get him anywhere?

RVN's loyalty got him nowhere too. he was sold out.

fact is it happens all the time. :) sometimes you get a point in your career that you want a change of scenery or landscape (and no, im not talking about the countryside.. im sure you know where im getting at) or new challenges and it's not all about the money. ;)

btw, dont be surprised if Gerrard plays for an Italian team in the next 3-4 years.. :boo:

Edited by bubuy
team LOYALTY is an overrated phrase in pro sports.

FCB Henry is still better than 85% of the strikers worldwide. ill take FCB Henry anytime. the fact of the matter is Henry is world class regardless of where he would be, regardless of how much money he rakes in. ofcourse FCB Henry would be struggling out of the gate because he is in a new system and he is learning about his new teammates. it's not as easy transferring from your comfort zone to a whole new different world. different league, different style of play, different language, different environment, different everything.

what happened to the great roy keane when he was ditched by ManU? did his loyalty get him anywhere?

RVN's loyalty got him nowhere too. he was sold out.

fact is it happens all the time. :) sometimes you get a point in your career that you want a change of scenery or landscape (and no, im not talking about the countryside.. im sure you know where im getting at) or new challenges and it's not all about the money. ;)

well said sir. well said. So are you saying FCB Henry is better than ARS Henry? I know his just starting there but Transition is taking too long IMHO.

But regading the "new system" not all players find it difficult. A perfect example would be F. Torres. He just ousted Robo Crouch out of the Liverpool starrting IX. Another would be Ruud Vanistelrooij from MANU to RMD. Roberto Carlos from RMD to Fenerbache.

And I think Keno and MANU Vanistelrooij are exemptions. No let me repeat that MANU players are excemptions. Let's take into concideration Sir Alex treats star players like FUBUs or Flavors of the Season to make the term more applicable to Football. Veron used to be his favortie too allong with Becks. But when he got tired of them he dropped them like hot potatoes. :P

Edited by redshirt
Let's take into concideration Sir Alex treats star players like FUBUs or Flavors of the Season to make the term more applicable to Football. Veron used to be his favortie too allong with Becks. But when he got tired of them he dropped them like hot potatoes. :P

ahahaha.. don't tell me Sir Alex.. well.. :rolleyes: im saying FCB Henry will get to where ARS Henry when it matters most.. ;)

RVN took quite some time too with RM. he only came alive after The Phenomenon suffered an injury before the winter break and he was presented his opp in the starting XI. Roberto Carlos is old. :lol: F. Torres might have taken over crouch, but crouch? i hardly consider him as a striker in the class of.. what the hell, crouch is hardly competition in the team.. mas ok pa ata yung youngster ng arsenal, theo walcott.. mabigyan lang ng chance ang batang yan..

and btw, what the eff is wrong with AC Milan? :blink:

ahahaha.. don't tell me Sir Alex.. well.. :rolleyes: im saying FCB Henry will get to where ARS Henry when it matters most.. ;)

RVN took quite some time too with RM. he only came alive after The Phenomenon suffered an injury before the winter break and he was presented his opp in the starting XI. Roberto Carlos is old. :lol: F. Torres might have taken over crouch, but crouch? i hardly consider him as a striker in the class of.. what the hell, crouch is hardly competition in the team.. mas ok pa ata yung youngster ng arsenal, theo walcott.. mabigyan lang ng chance ang batang yan..

and btw, what the eff is wrong with AC Milan? :blink:

I will giive FCB Henry 1 season to adjust before I pass judgement. :P ROLFMAO!

My dislike of Liverpool is well documented in this thread. But I must defend "robo" Crouch. I still think he's premiership material. Heck,one might even be bold to say that he is Engalnd material! But yes. Wallnut is waay better that crouch eventho he is half the formers size. :P

I used to like ACM before Zlatan went to Internatzionale. ACM's home record is f#&ked up! And I realy mean f#&ked up! No wins this season. They're shite!

top 10 ko (not arranged by ability, basta top 10 lang :) )

1. kaka (brazil, ac milan)

2. ronaldinho (brazil, barcelona)

3. rooney (england, manutd)

4. c.ronaldo (portugal, manutd)

5. a.pirlo (italy, ac milan)

6. g.gattuso (italy, ac milan)

7. drogba (ivory coast, chelsea)

8. messi (argentina, barcelona)

9. henry (france, barcelona)

10. fabregas (spain, arsenal)

i made my top10 based on the player's performance for club and country :)

Edited by _eRon_