• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The Football Thread

Labuyo

made a quick browse at the epl fixture...

the battle for fourth place is still on with everton having 3 matches remaining - newcastle united (05/07), arsenal (05/11), and bolton wanderers (05/15)...

liverpool has 2 matches remaining - arsenal (05/08) and aston villa (05/15)

it looks like arsene wegner's arsenal will play a vital factor in deciding who will snag the last champion's league seat...

even bolton wanderers is still in the race... the faint hope lies if they win against portsmouth (05/07)... if everton losses against newcastle and arsenal... and liverpool losing to arsenal... then the deciding match will be on the 15th against everton...

uefa champions league semifinal result:

liverpool 1 chelsea 0 (1-0 aggregate, liverpool advances)

i'm beginning to believe this "tradition and history will tell" stuff. on paper, liverpool, who are over 30pts behind chelsea in the premiership, had no right to upstage the newly crowned english champions. but they did on another great night of european football. the atmosphere at anfield was electrifying. and the team of the 70s turned back time to defeat the team of the future.

the goal was not the prettiest. but i thought it did go over the line. anyway, if it did not, a penalty would have been awarded. and after that, liverpool just shut out chelsea. and it was all heart and commitment. it was a very tense affair. even alone in my living room, watching the match on tv, i had to stand for the last 10 minutes. my knees went weak when gudjohnsen was presented that chance at the very end. but liverpool survived, and deservedly so.

i was rooting for liverpool because i thought mourinho was a jackass. but he did show some class after the match, congratulating every single liverpool player. must be bittersweet for chelsea, who just days ago won the premiership. still, with owner abramovich's billions, the champions league is not far away.

all in all, it was an exciting 90 minutes of football. only the european stage can set that kind of atmosphere...

Lampard should have made that shot in the first leg. It has proven to be a very crucial miss.

Notice how packed the penalty box is everytime the blues got near it? Benitez on the sideline made sure his ward heard him telling them to all go down for the defensive task. That was why all shots were blocked. The only shot on target was Lampard's from a set play.

Let's see if Liverpool can defend from the European player of the year in the finals. Im sure Milan will get there.

saw the match awhile ago... and i must say that liverpool played a tough defensive game and they deserve to win... despite their mediocrity in the domestic flight... i was expecting liverpool to sport a 4-4-2 alignment with milan baros and fernando morientes up front... rafael benitez wants to control the game so he had the 4-5-1 alignment... baros as the lone striker with steven gerrard behind and luis garcia and jan arne riise at the flanks...

luis garcia's goal in the 4th from a rebound off baros' try that was blocked by peter cech is debatable... but it was a spectacle that brought the anfield crowd up on their feet... even the commentators couldn't believe it... it seems that luis garcia is a the good luck charm for liverpool... just like morientes was for monaco last year...

imho... chelsea played the game very flat... didier drogba was a total bust and was inconsistent all through out the game... jose mourinho should had made the necessary tinkering during the first half... eidur gudjohnsen and frank lampard had their share of good chances to strike a goal but luck was not on their side... even the inclusion of the dutch combo of mateja kezman and arjen robben was not even enough to change the tide of the game... i pity robben for he was forced to play despite not being fit... i agree with what the commentator said about having mikael forsell play instead of robben since forsell is almost unknown among liverpool defenders thus offering an element of surprise... john terry's header that was badly cleared by jerzy dudek which ended in gudjohnsen's foot was the climax of the game... if the goal went in - chaos will rip anfield...

in the end... i found myself singing "you'll never walk alone"... with my two fists raised up... :cat:

uefa champions league semifinal result:

liverpool 1 chelsea 0 (1-0 aggregate, liverpool advances)

i'm beginning to believe this "tradition and history will tell" stuff. on paper, liverpool, who are over 30pts behind chelsea in the premiership, had no right to upstage the newly crowned english champions. but they did on another great night of european football. the atmosphere at anfield was electrifying. and the team of the 70s turned back time to defeat the team of the future. 

the goal was not the prettiest. but i thought it did go over the line. anyway, if it did not, a penalty would have been awarded. and after that, liverpool just shut out chelsea. and it was all heart and commitment. it was a very tense affair. even alone in my living room, watching the match on tv, i had to stand for the last 10 minutes. my knees went weak when gudjohnsen was presented that chance at the very end. but liverpool survived, and deservedly so.

i was rooting for liverpool because i thought mourinho was a jackass. but he did show some class after the match, congratulating every single liverpool player. must be bittersweet for chelsea, who just days ago won the premiership. still, with owner abramovich's billions, the champions league is not far away.

all in all, it was an exciting 90 minutes of football. only the european stage can set that kind of atmosphere...

Although I was rooting for AC Milan in the beginning I could'nt help myself from switching over the PSV. I just new found respect and admiration to the two Korean players of PSV - Park and Lee. Park scored the first goal and Lee provided the excellent cross for the second. It would have been nice to see two Asian showing theire skills in Europe's biggest club competition.

what the f@#$!!!

i immediately jumped out of my seat after i read damaso's first post regarding psv's lead in the 70th...

but my heart suddenly broke after i read the next post... milan scoring in during the stoppage time...

how i wish that i watched the game... :(