Rolex Watches

meatpacker426

After doing some research on Rolex, on it's own as a watch; not worth it. Features and quality wise, nothing differentiates a Rolex from an Omega. So why is a Rolex much more expensive than an Omega? Marketing, Tight control of supply and a Business policy of increasing SRP's every year. Those actions distorts the actual market value of Rolexes.

Rolexes are good watches - they keep their value if not actually increase in value, considering inflation and resale value here in the Philippines...

Other watches, Cartier, Bulgari, etc are generally "fashion" Watches, for fashionistas, surely will lose most of their value after year 1

Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, IWC, etc, are more valuable, but quite honestly like it or not, here in the Philippines, Rolex is King of Resale,

Para syang toyota...

they are not just simple watches, like an omega, in terms of how they are made, a lot of time, effort and handmade care is taken in making one... from the oyster case pa lang, wala na ang omega...

I personally used to wonder the same thing about Rolex, but now, I've realized in the Philippines, mag Rolex ka nalang,

bakit ba ang daming nag da down sa rolex? eh it has been proven over time na it will last you a lifetime plus the resale value is tops?

the craftmanship is superb also. It is true that there are alot of GOOD watches out there, but Rolex stands out. They hold their own after so many years. Subok na Matibay, Subok na Matatag.

kung may extra money why not.....magagamit din naman to sa mga matitinding pangangailangan dahil mataas din ang value nya kapag isinanla...

most people who buy rolex dont need to pawn it and most people who foresee the need to allocate money for future necessities would not thik of buying a rolex

• 2 weeks later...
Are Rolexes worth their price? If you ask me as a watch enthusiast, I'd say no. Many other posters have already explained why:

1. Their movements are nothing extraordinary, you can get equal or even better quality for a fraction of the price. And in the past years Rolex has not come up with any significant improvement unlike Omega with their co-axial movement or even Seiko and their spring drive.

i think rolex hasn't come up with significant improvements in their movements because they're too busy updating their security features against counterfeiters, so they couldn't keep up (which i doubt, with all those talented counterfeiters), they overlook that they need improvements too in their movements to keep up with other swiss manufacturers.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is a question that can be answered on so many levels. its also applicable for other luxury brands out there.

Well, if youre talking about retaining of value, and collectibility, rolex is at the top along with patek philippe. its the type of watch you can give to your son on his graduation day and you can be sure na hindi pa sya laos.

Currently ang "in" watch ngayon ay Panerai. if you buy it new now, you can sell it for a higher price 2 years from now....

Now this is a question that can be answered on so many levels. its also applicable for other luxury brands out there.

Well, if youre talking about retaining of value, and collectibility, rolex is at the top along with patek philippe. its the type of watch you can give to your son on his graduation day and you can be sure na hindi pa sya laos.

Currently ang "in" watch ngayon ay Panerai. if you buy it new now, you can sell it for a higher price 2 years from now....

mahal ng panerai... :thumbsupsmiley: and the watch is big.. mga 40 mm ata ang pinakamaliit..

For me, it's definitely worth it. Each and every individual values something in his or her own terms/definition.

If owning a Rolex watch fulfills whatever purpose you are looking to fill, whether it be announcing your

status, owning a quality, reliable time-piece, collecting time-pieces, personal satisfaction or maybe merely as an instrument

or tool to be used for measuring the passing of time, then it's worth it. This is why the world is full of different indulgences.

I remember when I was in high school, a friend of mine was able to get his hands on two of his father's Rolexes, being

the curious type, he was able to open the case of one of the watches and probably thinking that it was a snap-on case, he proceeded to put it back together first by light tapping and then gripping it with a pair of pliers. He then showed me the

result of his handy-work, the crystal was ruined and has collapsed into the dial, causing the hands to deform. I just shrugged

my shoulders after seeing it, not knowing even the mere monetary value of the ruined watch before my eyes. Back then, I had

different priorities, different tastes. The said watch, way back then, was not worth much more than a shrug of a shoulder to me.

I would have reacted the same way, say a Timex was the watch that was ruined.

I can say for myself that my personal valuation of a Rolex has changed since then. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change

once more as I learn more about the intricacies of horology. As of now, after owning and reading more than a dozen books on

wristwatches, and countless hours reading threads and reviews/discussions, I still think it's worth it, on different levels, for reasons others may or may not agree with me.

Signature watches are not guaranteed to appreciate in price generally. In fact, when you buy an expensive watch with an "elite brand" the trend is always that the value goes down as it gets older. There are very few watches that are an exception to the rule. Usually, these are the custom made ones and are classically designed and stand the test of time. Don't except a digital watch to appreciate regardless of how expensive you bought it.

• 2 weeks later...