Rolex Watches

meatpacker426

hey man, what car is that on your av, meron bang hi res?

Looks like one of Citroen's recent concept/show cars.

Anyway back to topic:

No, Rolexes seem overrated to me. Rolexes can't play the heritage card the same way other watchmakers like Patek Philippe or Breitling can, simply because it's a relatively young watchmaker compared to most.

Also, I'm a fan of discreet stuff...Rolex is just about as far removed from discreet as you can get. KSP na ang dating. No offense. That's just me though

Edited by bogliboi_blue

i think the difference in "age" between rolex and breitling is a mere 20 years. not much really.

although i do agree that it is an expensive watch and that they are over-rated, i must say that most of their watches, especially the sports or tool, are more low-key than those of breitling and bvlgari. i have also now come to the conclusion that watches like the "big trio" in swiss watchmakers (patek philippe, vacheron constantin, audemars piguet) are more not worth it and over-rated. not many people realize that majority of watches rolex produces are sports watches, that are no so much the bling-bling type of ksp watches... although i admit many rolexes i see worn by rich people are those with diamonds and gold. that i don't care for. too ksp nga talaga. i actually have one that was given to me as a gift. wore in only once or twice. not worth it really. the only time i consider a watch worth it is if you really love wearing it. that's why i recently sold another rolex and got myself a clean and simple rolex (cheaper by a lot even). now this new rolex i love... and worth it for me.

anyways, i have never had a single comment from other people about my new rolex... a white face exp ii. many however do notice my friend's breitling. so i guess my rolex is less a ksp watch than my friend's breitling. although rolex does not have a long heritage as that of watchmaker vacheron constantin or even patek philippe and audemars piguet, it no doubt is the most innovative swiss watch company. it also boasts of wearers like pope john paull ii, steve mcqueen, pele, che guevara, robert de niro, brad pitt. now that's good company if you ask me.

Rolexes are worth it...the reason I got one was the story of one of my dad's business associates...he is much older, in his 70's now. His family was quite wealty, even in the olden days, so foreign items such as Rolexes were available to them.

His family was fleeing during the days of the Japanese occupation, and among the items lost was his father's Rolex. It was kept in one of the bags that burst open while they were running to their car, so they could get out of their house.

Fast forward 35 years...they were putting in a new swimming pool when one of the construction workers unearthed something. Mr. Carlos saw it as well and asked if he could examine it, and he was almost moved to tears. It was his dad's watch, very dirty, but the engraving one the back confirmed it. He brought it to the service center, had it cleaned and was surprised to find that it was in working order.

He wears it to this day, it's a bit scratched, but keeps on ticking. It survived 3 DECADES in moist Philippine soil and still works!!!

Rolexes are worth it...the reason I got one was the story of one of my dad's business associates...he is much older, in his 70's now. His family was quite wealty, even in the olden days, so foreign items such as Rolexes were available to them.

His family was fleeing during the days of the Japanese occupation, and among the items lost was his father's Rolex. It was kept in one of the bags that burst open while they were running to their car, so they could get out of their house.

Fast forward 35 years...they were putting in a new swimming pool when one of the construction workers unearthed something. Mr. Carlos saw it as well and asked if he could examine it, and he was almost moved to tears. It was his dad's watch, very dirty, but the engraving one the back confirmed it. He brought it to the service center, had it cleaned and was surprised to find that it was in working order.

He wears it to this day, it's a bit scratched, but keeps on ticking. It survived 3 DECADES in moist Philippine soil and still works!!!

What a story!!! Well said, bro!!! :thumbsupsmiley: 3 decades under moist soil and still ticking? This should be used by Rolex for their marketing campaign.. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Great story.. I think all greatly made swiss or german watches would stand the test of time. But i still believe that rolexes while they do have good resale value here in Asia and the US, if grossly overrated as a watch.. It's a great everyday watch for those who could afford it whether it be an day date or datejust with an oyster or jubillee bracelet.

For watch collectors, complicated watches are still the way to go.

im happy with my watch.

though id like a new one... the 06-07 model oysters already have solid 18ct links... and the lining around the dial has markings na rolex.rolex.rolex all around.. the newer models are heavier due to the solid links. 319k compared to the old 260k price.

and to those who say it appreciates, my reaction is TALAGA??? papano? you can never sell above what you got it for. unless you got it at a very cheap price used.

share naman pics of ur watches... heres mine.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401624_210_full.jpg

Edited by sitilim

I think getting a rolex watch is a good investment. Rolex is very durable and the craftmanship is outstanding. I am personally saving money to buy a rolex yacht-master when I reach a goal in my professional career B) . This watch for me is the perfect example of a watch that is simple, elegant but very beautiful and durable. The watch does not shout "hey look at me... I'm a f#&king expensive watch and a Rolex to boot." My second choice is the submariner.

• 4 weeks later...

A rolex is simply a finely crafted time piece. I am lucky to get one from my father as a grad gift. I wear it most of the time, the detail and beauty of the watch amazes me all the time. They say a rolex is a man's watch, simple and strong, you can wear it anywhere for almost any occasion, even for like rough man chores and it will almost never scratch - I've hit my dial on walls and sometimes metal and the glass dial has never had a scratch on it.

im happy with my watch.

though id like a new one... the 06-07 model oysters already have solid 18ct links... and the lining around the dial has markings na rolex.rolex.rolex all around.. the newer models are heavier due to the solid links. 319k compared to the old 260k price.

and to those who say it appreciates, my reaction is TALAGA??? papano? you can never sell above what you got it for. unless you got it at a very cheap price used.

share naman pics of ur watches... heres mine.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401624_210_full.jpg

nice watch love it gusto ko

Rolex design are classic ... through the years maybe some alterations but generally the same. Just look how the submariner, explorer II and gmt look.

Designs are not really extraordinary ... but the brand have been associated with a "Status Symbol" ... got a datejust twotone bracelet gold face with studs. It was a gift from my parents. On my own ... bought an Explorer II (white face) as a "souvenir" for a career milestone.

Rolex design are classic ... through the years maybe some alterations but generally the same. Just look how the submariner, explorer II and gmt look.

Designs are not really extraordinary ... but the brand have been associated with a "Status Symbol" ... got a datejust twotone bracelet gold face with studs. It was a gift from my parents. On my own ... bought an Explorer II (white face) as a "souvenir" for a career milestone.

nice, thats awesome, congrats on your career. atsaka iba talaga siya, its not the monetary value, its just an all around good watch. everytime i look at mine hindi ako nag sasawa. i love it!!

Are Rolexes worth their price? If you ask me as a watch enthusiast, I'd say no. Many other posters have already explained why:

1. Their movements are nothing extraordinary, you can get equal or even better quality for a fraction of the price. And in the past years Rolex has not come up with any significant improvement unlike Omega with their co-axial movement or even Seiko and their spring drive.

2. Maintainance is a nightmare, P5000 just for cleaning! And the cost of parts is absurd!

3. Because of the proliferation of fakes, people tend to doubt the authenticity of your Rolex unless you're known to be really wealthy.

On the positive side:

1. No other watch brand comes close to the name recognition and prestige of Rolex. Onlly true watch enthusiasts would recognize the pedigree of a Patek or Breguet.

2. Few watches hold their value so well. This is not to say you can sell your old Rolex for a profit, but years later, it'll still be a very expensive item.

3. The case designs are timeless, though I suppose I'm biased since I tend towards classic designs.

My stand: I wold never buy a Rolex, but I understand why many people yearn to own one. If the timepiece gives you real pleasure and you can afford it, it can't be considered a bad buy.

the thing is, people gauge you on the cost of the things you have on at that moment..

i was surprised that someone noticed the watch i was wearing.. and he even mentioned it.. "sino daw magaakala na naghihirap tayo?!" bwahahahahahaha!

i was never fond of brand names.. but sometimes, it helps eh.. people look at you in a different way when you're "in style".. its easier to get what you want..

I just use it on special occasions.. and wear my old swatch or none at all..